Pages:
Author

Topic: The Reality of Masternode Centralization - page 5. (Read 7893 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 255

Kind of laughable to talk about Monero 'anonymity' when you have 50% of users typing Monero transactions into your core-devs website on his closed-source server wired up with Google Analytics,  Generalize.  And sorry I didn't read how you think you can compromise Masternodes, i know from experience what your analysis is like and life is too short Smiley

You're right, if you don't care that your coin is or isn't very anonymous, then why should anyone else care? Sorry you can't be bothered with such details.

More like I know from experience that you are desperate to find something wrong with Dash.  In the last 3 months you have been jumping round a dozen different threads with "Dash is a scam because XYZ" and now you are trying to say a p2p network topology essentially the same as Bitcoin is centralized so excuse me if I don't pay too much attention.

So you believe LEAs won't subpoena, coerce, or just ask hosting companies to provide billing information? How many instamine recipients own the nodes in Germany, or France, or the USA? If you had only those three countries supplying node intel, you'd have over 80% of all masternode traffic.

So what ? They can probably get that just by reading bitcointalk.

It's not the machine that hosts the masternode that matters strategically, it's the anonymous address that hosts its collateral. Blockchain daemons can disappear and pop-up anywhere, hosters can have open access to masternodes for all anyone cares - it's decentralised remember ?

The "Evil NSA" doesn't need to hack into any hosting company's virtualised servers to get access to a masternode daemon, they can just download one from here and run it themselves.

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

Thats because in crypto, to any self respecting developer, the meer idea of "third party wallets" is synonymous with third party "please-help-yourself-to-my-money" tech, so an official, native, clean, verified, GUI client is usually the first order of business, not the last.

Dashers learn to make private nodes and how to obfuscate your IPs--too hard? Then give up the anonymity game--you already lost.

Sorry, but in crypto (unlike fiat) preventing people from seeing and verifying the anonymous addresses at each end of a transaction is not anonymity - it's monetary clownery.

Nice subject title though - "The reality of masternode centralisation". That sure took some creativity. Your next assignment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(public_relations)

Read again. I showed how masternodes could be compromised by using gleaned information from the hosting company, not by compromising the servers themselves.

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

Kind of laughable to talk about Monero 'anonymity' when you have 50% of users typing Monero transactions into your core-devs website on his closed-source server wired up with Google Analytics,  Generalize.  And sorry I didn't read how you think you can compromise Masternodes, i know from experience what your analysis is like and life is too short Smiley

Where are you getting this absurd 50% from?  

That is a number I read on the Monero thread at some point and in my opinion is a conservative estimate.  I don't actually know what the number is because Fluffy refuses to share that information with anyone, but I am guessing it is actually the majority of users judging by how many people complain about the client wallet on the XMR thread, how many times I see people get recommended to just use MyMonero.com, and how new users looking to download the wallet get presented with this:

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

You're right, if you don't care that your coin is or isn't very anonymous, then why should anyone else care? Sorry you can't be bothered with such details.
Activity: 770
Merit: 250
Just stop responding to BlockaFett, the guy uses false #'s and wild speculations in every post he makes, which makes him either a troll or a very dumb man.

Edit: BlockaFett is 100% a troll, his level of stupidity cannot possibly be real
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

So you believe LEAs won't subpoena, coerce, or just ask hosting companies to provide billing information? How many instamine recipients own the nodes in Germany, or France, or the USA? If you had only those three countries supplying node intel, you'd have over 80% of all masternode traffic.

It's not the machine that hosts the masternode that matters strategically, it's the anonymous address that hosts its collateral. Blockchain daemons can disappear and pop-up anywhere, hosters can have open access to masternodes for all anyone cares - it's decentralised remember ?

The "Evil NSA" doesn't need to hack into any hosting company's virtualised servers to get access to a masternode daemon, they can just download one from here and run it themselves.

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

Thats because in crypto, to any self respecting developer, the meer idea of "third party wallets" is synonymous with third party "please-help-yourself-to-my-money" tech, so an official, native, clean, verified, GUI client is usually the first order of business, not the last.

Dashers learn to make private nodes and how to obfuscate your IPs--too hard? Then give up the anonymity game--you already lost.

Sorry, but in crypto (unlike fiat) preventing people from seeing and verifying the anonymous addresses at each end of a transaction is not anonymity - it's monetary clownery.

Nice subject title though - "The reality of masternode centralisation". That sure took some creativity. Your next assignment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(public_relations)

Read again. I showed how masternodes could be compromised by using gleaned information from the hosting company, not by compromising the servers themselves.

If you compromise a masternode, you can trace part of the mixing. And the more masternodes you compromise the more you can trace. The rest of your argument is the spin you are accusing me of. Even if LEA owned all of the Monero nodes they wouldn't be able to trace a transaction any better than if they were watching the blockchain--if you don't get why this is better anonymity, I feel sorry for you.

Where are you getting this absurd 50% from? 

legendary

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

P.S. Notice something about that page by the way ? It contains the official Dash client, complete with hash's so you can conclusively verify your download is not(a hacked-to-peices wallet that's showing you a JPEG of a phony balance from a blockchain that has no support for public consensus to endorse its veracity or otherwise)  Wink

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
Doesn't really matter as nobody else than the dash fan group cares about it. Too much shit surrounding it, only being defended by a huge number of insiders.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

A bit desperate this one is it not ?

Blockchain daemons can be run by anyone, anywhere, anytime. For that matter, half of them can be run in the foyer at Langley HQ for all the difference it makes to the network's behavioural logic. Thats the whole point of a decentralised network.

Don't worry, if TPTB truly feel the need to de-anonymise one of your addresses, they'll have easier ways of doing it than waiting for one of your transactions to be handled by some random masternode, attempting to find out where in the world it and its participating partners for that transaction are, commandeering those virtual servers only to discover that they can't detect your transaction originating address anyway. They'll probably just knock on your door instead.

(On the other hand, since they "own" cryptonote tech and all known jiggery pokery, scam logic, corrupt transactional behaviour and heists are totally hidden from public view and therefore void of public accountability, I'm sure they won’t mistake which one has the “low hanging fruit”).

P.S. Masternodes are secured by a collateral populated coin address, not hosted servers.

P.P.S. Mind your definitions.  Wink

Centralised:

CJSR Russia: 1

Decentralised:

Accelerated IT servers: Frankfurt Germany: 95
Amazon USA: 44
Asmunda Frankfurt Germany: 150
Bhost ltd: England/Amsterdam: 3
Choopa, NJ, USA: 162
City Network Hosting Stockholm Sweden: 4
CJSR Russia: 1
ColoCrossing NY USA: 14
Comcast PA USA: 3
Crisis Solutions LLC USA: 7
Deutsche Telekom Germany: 1
Digital Ocean NY  USA: 75
DNA Oy  Finland: 4
Earthnet CO USA: 1
Evanzo ECom Germany: 1
Fevvo Inc CT USA: 11
Hetzner Online Germany: 2
Hostinger Intl. Cyprus: 1
HostUs USA: 1
IDC*China or MA USA: 10
Internet Assigned Numbers: 3
Microsoft USA: 3
MyLoc Managed Dusseldorf Germany: 104
Neterra Bulgaria: 1
NodeServ LLC FL USA: 32
Online SAS France: 213
PP KOM i TEX Ukraine: 1
Private Layer Inc Zurich Switzerland: 110
QHoster Ltd  Bulgaria: 96
QuadraNet CA USA: 4
QuickPacket Llc GA USA: 4
RackSpace Hosting TX USA: 2
Rogers Cable Com Canada: 3
Serverius Netherlands: 1
TDC A/S Denmark: 1
Telecom3Sverige AB Sweden: 1
Time Warner USA: 1
UAB Technoloigu Lithuania: 4
VideoTron Telecom Lte Canada: 1
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Yeah, great job, bravo.

legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
--Over 95% of the masternodes are on servers owned by companies located in 5 countries. If this coin ever reached the market cap levels of Bitcoin or threatened global monetary supply, it would certainly gain the inquisitiveness of LEA worldwide who would likely share data in order to prosecute criminals or those that threatened their monopoly of wealth.

Can't wait that to happen, as that would currently mean each masternode earning $6,500/month in rewards. People might then afford moving their masternodes away from Amazon.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
BlockaFett guy is like, please dont do it, please let me get rich with this scam

legendary
(1) As long as people host their masternodes properlywith encrypted wallets with backups, I can't see anything that could cause any issues. (2) If a hosting company were to refuse hosting masternodes for whatever magical reason, nobody would lose anything and there are plenty of them around so I wouldn't call it centralized. I mean there are much fewer pools than masternode hosting services so for the time being I think we're fine.

1. My point is that hosting companies are privacy breaches waiting to happen for masternodes, and most people don't follow best practices in this regard, so why would they in other ways? Are you in the "they got this wrong, but they'll get that right--because it validates my opinion" business?

2. My stated concern (listed at the beginning an end of the post) is not that peoples funds are at risk, but their privacy and security.

For most coins, nodes being hosted on a corporate server isn't a big deal, but when their advertised anonymity depends on those nodes, it's a massive security breach waiting to happen.

(Facts and figures)

--Over 95% of the masternodes are on servers owned by companies located in 5 countries. If this coin ever reached the market cap levels of Bitcoin or threatened global monetary supply, it would certainly gain the inquisitiveness of LEA worldwide who would likely share data in order to prosecute criminals or those that threatened their monopoly of wealth. This shouldn't be made this easy. This is further proof that cryptosystems that rely on users to follow best practices are relying on failure.

Activity: 770
Interesting, OP. Thanks for the factual information, and not resorting to biased, opinionated bullshit that comes out of the posts of trolls like BlockaFett.
G2M
Activity: 280
Activity: 616
Hey that's a good point.

Someone should test it out though.

It should be easy enough and I'm gonna draw on my past dash dumping experiences on cryptsy.

See, I noticed a funny thing. If I saw a meaty buy order for 500ish dash that I wanted to drop a stack into, I started by transferring a load to craptsy.

Only magically, the buy order disappeared or moved way down in the ten minutesor so it takes to show up.

Every time. Were talking about over ten times bc I got bored and wanted to do it for luls.  Of because I have a tendency toward the number ten for the convenience of this post.

Obviously I could just move it in small amounts as I later found out, but it still begs the question: is cryptsy manipulating the market, or is someone not trading based on blockchain tracking data?

I found the second situation more likely, which is another screwy story all together.

Anyways point here is - when I move largish amts of monero to polo, this doesn't happen like it did at cryptsy. Free to dump at market value if you wanted.

So why isn't that the case? Is it a conspiracy to get me to write this post, or should you put up some actual money and run it through mymonero and then send it to polo to see if the buy orders move in line with when you move large amounts to the exchange?
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
As long as people host their masternodes properly with encrypted wallets with backups, I can't see anything that could cause any issues. If a hosting company were to refuse hosting masternodes for whatever magical reason, nobody would lose anything and there are plenty of them around so I wouldn't call it centralized. I mean there are much fewer pools than masternode hosting services so for the time being I think we're fine.

BTW you didn't read my point about why Dash isn't centralized - "I think it's obviously an idiotic conclusion to say wallets hosted around the world in different countries running as masternodes are centralized" - Centralized means centralized, with a central point, e.g. MyMonero.com...not user's wallets running in different countries, I thought this was obvious...but I wasn't here to argue that, just point out what this thread is about so maybe Trollero doesn't waste another 10,000 hours of crypto people's time in their quest to "replace" Bitcoin with a dysfunctional Cryptonote clone with zero development.

From the MyMonero.com website....
The private spend key is never stored or known by the Services, which means that it is cryptographically impossible for us to spend funds on your behalf.
Or if you want to read for yourself https://mymonero.com/#/terms Chapter 4

So what?  Fluffypony can still *see* all the transactions, know what is moving around, know when a pump or dump is coming, take the site offline to stop people withdrawing, it gives Monero core team / his ISP / the NSA full *acccess* to Monero for all intents and purposes.  And he keeps any information on MyMonero usage, or even the MyMonero source code, to himself.  And he has *tried this before* on Vertcoin, and is *trying it again* with Paybee.com

MyMonero.com is 100% centralized and undermines all Monero's claims of being anonymous / untraceable - it's a fucking centralized payment website for a coin they are marketing as 'untraceable' lol.  And you defend that and say Dash is centralized because it works with users on the official wallet in different countries, like Bitcoin

just more alternate reality Monero bullshit....keep going Trollero.

These ad honimem attacks are getting ridiculous, you're not even taking the time to respond to the original post. Nowhere is stated that you, as a Monero user, are obligated to use MyMonero, it's basically the same as blockchain.info. Does blockchain.info make Bitcoin centralized?

Both of my posts stated why I disagree with the OP.  For the third time:

"I think it's obviously an idiotic conclusion to say wallets hosted around the world in different countries running as masternodes are centralized"

and.....

"Centralized means centralized, with a central point, e.g. MyMonero.com...not user's wallets running in different countries, I thought this was obvious"

But I see you side-step my point......

Anyone who reads the XMR thread knows that most users can't get the wallet to work and get recommended to use MyMonero and it is safe to assume most people use it.

Something is extremely wrong with a coin that is over 1 year old that still has an essentially "crippled" official wallet where most people have to use a centralized payment website instead .. a site that gives just the owner visiblility on distribution / transfers that no one else can see - on a coin that the marketing claims is "untraceable". An *extremely* strange choice of vehicle for such a coin, no?

Coupled with 2 facts: Fluffypony has a *history* of doing this, and secondly from investigating Ryan Kennedy I know that people who make a big effort to get 'in the middle' of a coin like he did with Doge, and Fluffy tried with Vertcoin and now succeeded with Monero, are often scamming (and often intelligent / good with people / controlling perceptions at the same time).

Did you stop to consider, how involved is Fluffy in the actual XMR market?  If he is a large investor / trader, he has positioned himself quite nicely to be ahead of the market and also be the voice of Monero to guide things how he wants.

Then add in some other facts like how Monero volume is just through Poloniex with no effort to get onto other exchanges, and they have setup XMR with it's own market and made it the landing page.  And Polo is the only entity apart from MyMonero.com that has info on XMR distribution / movements that they keep to themselves too.....nice single point to control at too.

I am not saying this is certainly the case. I am just looking at it myself and saying hmm....structurally, if Fluffy / his buddies were scammers, they are positioned nicely to take advantage....

Above is off topic, and not saying with a Dash investor hat on...this is stuff you should think about (assuming you aren't a Monero dev which I am guessing a lot of these acccounts are)

Pages:
Jump to: