Pages:
Author

Topic: The Scam List - page 9. (Read 31216 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 04:01:53 PM
I don't think there is a way around being at least somewhat subjective.  That "gut feeling" is often correct especially when a large portion of the community shares that feeling.

I think it's best to be proactive and list suspected companies as quickly as possible to prevent the scam from sucking in more victims.  Let's demand that these companies prove themselves to us before we throw money at them time and again!
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
December 11, 2013, 03:48:11 PM
Coming out of nowhere / no one here has heard of
Will not supply videos / specs
Unlikely claims re price per hash or power per hash
Strange or no people on team
Just in time registering of website

some random pointers, sure there are more
I've called techtime 'looks scammy' as they sell a Monarch shipping in a month ffs

Still seems subjective.

"coming out of nowhere" - where should they come from?

Unlikely claims seems easier to rate. There is only so many hashes from a chip right? Where is the line of unlikely?

"will not supply videos or specs" - That should be easy although I've seen companies post pics which were not good enough for the crowd here. What should be included in the pics to allow them to pass the scrutiny here?

"Strange people" - What the hell does that mean?

"Just in time registering" - How long should a web address be registered for a business before it is deemed trustworthy? How long should a new business wait to sell their products?

I would also like to add - Response time to emails
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 03:41:51 PM

I've called techtime 'looks scammy' as they sell a Monarch shipping in a month ffs

Excellent, thanks!  I reserved the 3rd post in this thread for "rules for listing" and will add these to that post.  Anyone else have more to add?

After we decide on rules for listing, we should devise a formula that determines the "level of scam potential".
Activity: 462
Lux e tenebris
December 11, 2013, 03:34:43 PM

Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 03:31:48 PM
What is the criteria for 'looks scammy'. How about you come up with a checklist of actions/behavior/etc which will assign a rating to a company. That would take out the 'feels scammy', 'seems fishy' out of it and make it based more on facts than feelings.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already addressed this in the second post of the thread.  I'm not assigning myself the job of ASIC cop although I've taken the liberty just to kickstart the list because I think it's important to get something out now.

Feel free to help develop rules for listing!
Activity: 294
December 11, 2013, 03:15:34 PM
What is the criteria for 'looks scammy'. How about you come up with a checklist of actions/behavior/etc which will assign a rating to a company. That would take out the 'feels scammy', 'seems fishy' out of it and make it based more on facts than feelings.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
December 11, 2013, 02:51:21 PM
Hi,
nice thread. should nailed on top of custom Hardware Forum!
Lux e tenebris
December 11, 2013, 02:27:05 PM
I think I've added everything.  SHWEW!

Advanced Mining Technologies (AMT)... what does everyone think?

Let me know if you see any errors.

agree they behave questionably, amt; they're part of virtualminingcorp, again no lonk so sorry, a member was ranting about them

thanks for the hard work
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 02:16:52 PM
I think I've added everything.  SHWEW!  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Advanced Mining Technologies (AMT)... what does everyone think?

Let me know if you see any errors. or if you think I should change the status of a company.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
December 11, 2013, 12:41:52 PM
www.btcfpga.com or bASIC or www.modminerquadstore.com (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--135301)

They had a good history of delivered FPGAs, took pre-order money on promise of delivering an ASIC, after a long time passed said the project was canceled, gave back some refunds (don't think they refunded everyone), said the company was sold to someone else, sold more FPGA's under a new domain name, then it went off-line for good after his account was hacked (apparently).

BUYER BEWARE! Sadly Arbitrage Scams are common in the Bitcoin community, they usually start off as a pre-order or group buy with long lead time, which after they run out of excuses, ends up with them either just running off with the money, refunding it in dollars after a rise in Bitcoin's value, or delaying delivery so they can mine on the machine you paid for!  Cry
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
December 11, 2013, 12:14:14 PM
Found this one a while back; http://computergnomes.net/

KnC has no idea who they are, and calling the number results in an answering machine with no company information included.

Glad to see Black Arrow isn't listed here.
Activity: 308
decentralizedhashing.com
December 11, 2013, 12:13:03 PM
Thanks for making this x.  When I saw it come up yesterday I was reminded that I always intended to pick up where Operatr left off with Coin Canary.

I'm not sure if any of these are still relevant, but here is the link:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/coincanaryorg-no-longer-updated-all-known-vendors-and-status-176262
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
December 11, 2013, 11:39:57 AM
What about https://advancedminers.com/ ??  Cant figure if they are scam or not.

The representative from AMT cant really disprove that its not a scam, and his behavior is suspicious too.
One day he says he will post a video of them assembling a 192 GH/s but the next he only delivers shitty images.

Their own thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=304605.420

Lux e tenebris
December 11, 2013, 03:34:20 AM
looks scammy

sorry no discussion link that I know of

http://www.ttebitcoinmininghardware.com/#!store/c13wy

edit: another - bitcoinrigs - with scammy behavior thus far

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3915179
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 01:42:10 AM
adding one more

skyminer - very high scam possibility - link - skyminerlabs.com

I forgot about that one.  It's worth a laugh to follow the link!
Activity: 195
December 11, 2013, 01:39:13 AM
adding one more

skyminer - very high scam possibility - link - skyminerlabs.com
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 01:31:24 AM
I agree, we should leave out those companies that have shipped some products. you can say that they have poor customer service but cannot categorise them under scam.

I'll add 4 more.

phoenix technologies - scam confirmed
mining heart - probable
boscombe miner - probable
btc olympus - probable

Thanks!  Adding.

*Edit - I may take a more conservative approach until we get a community consensus on more recent scams.
Activity: 195
December 11, 2013, 01:25:45 AM
I agree, we should leave out those companies that have shipped some products. you can say that they have poor customer service but cannot categorise them under scam.

I'll add 4 more.

phoenix technologies - scam confirmed - link - bitcoinminingcenter.com
mining heart - probable - link - miningheart.com
boscombe miner - probable
btc olympus - probable - link - btcolympus.com
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 01:20:26 AM
You should add companies that have cause problems and cost people Bitcoin to the list.

Yes, I'm saying Bitcoin and not fiat.  If a company cost the community Bitcoin but not Fiat it should make the scam list.

Two I can think of are:  Avalon / BFL

I actually would rather we limit this list to obvious "scams"... companies that only exist to steal our bitcoins and cash.  This seems to be the most pressing issue right now and where most people will actually lose 100% of their investment.  Both Avalon and BFL are actually delivering miners at this moment in time, lol.

Off topic... anyone know how to format tables in BBCode?  This forum doesn't seem to recognize most common BBCode.  I'm getting line wrap and need to know how to extend column width.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
December 11, 2013, 01:14:09 AM
You should add companies that have cause problems and cost people Bitcoin to the list.

Yes, I'm saying Bitcoin and not fiat.  If a company cost the community Bitcoin but not Fiat it should make the scam list.

Two I can think of are:  Avalon / BFL
Pages:
Jump to: