Pages:
Author

Topic: The Scam List - page 10. (Read 31216 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 12:22:22 AM
These rules are currently only suggestions.  Please feel free to add, refine or suggest removal of these rules.

Rules for inclusion to the list
- No official announcement thread on Bitcointalk. If you're a legitimate ASIC developer you would post here first to announce your project.
- Coming out of nowhere / no one here has heard of
- Will not supply videos / specs
- Unlikely claims re price per hash or power per hash
- Strange or no people on team.  Odd LinkedIn profiles.
- Just in time registering of website
- Response time to emails, poor or no customer service
- Infrequent board posting by official reps or abandoned "Official Announcement" threads

More?

Suggestions for removal from list
- Provide working demos to trusted hero members
- Post clear photos and video of development, production and testing or devices
- Contact/work with CGMiner and BFGMiner developers
- Post an "Official Announcement" thread to this forum and maintain frequent communication with community
- Provide introduction to team with qualifications and background and details of company history

More?
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 12:22:05 AM
As a community, we seem to be the best line of defense against the prolific spread of scam "ASIC" companies. Everyday someone here at BitCoinTalk brings a possible new scam (or two or three) to our attention. I think it's time that we start and maintain a list of possible, probable and confirmed scams to protect ourselves from these unscrupulous criminals. And since not everyone who's interested in Bitcoin mining visits this forum, perhaps we can prevent less sophisticated miners from making huge mistakes if this thread were to appear in Google searches for the listed company names.

I'd like this to be a community project and welcome all input on how to maintain and improve this list.

Some thoughts...
- What rules should we adopt to qualify a company to be listed? I prefer that we took an aggressive approach and believe that potential scammers bear the burden of proof.  Meaning, borderline companies would appear until they prove themselves to several prominent members of the community
- Should we vote on who gets listed and what status they should be assigned? Should a new poll be started for each candidate for the list?
- Does anyone have special SEO skills that would make this thread more likely appear in online searches?
- How should we handle disputes from listed companies?
- Moderators, any advice?

Thanks!
Glow Stick Dance!
December 11, 2013, 12:21:42 AM
This is work in progress and I'm taking into account all opinions whenever possible.  Companies that claim to be developing and selling ASICs already receive intense scrutiny in this forum.  My goal is only to take community consensus and put that information into a single thread for quick reference.  A link is included, when available, to forum discussions about each company listed so potential customers can decide for themselves.  I will not link directly to company websites.  It has been suggested by shawneric to include direct links to the company websites which may help this thread's SEO.

Beware of these ASIC companies.  They may be scams.

COMPANY..............SCAM?.......DISCUSSION...WEBSITE (caution, offsite link)
ASICMartConfirmed (by AMT)Link
PayonixProbableLink
Xtreme MinersProbableLinkLink
BTCOlympusPossibleLinkLink
Phoenix TechnologiesConfirmedLink
Mining HeartProbableLinkLink
Boscombe PierlyticsProbableLinkLink
SkyminerLabsProbableLinkLink
TechTime ElectronicsPossibleLink
BitcoinRigsPossibleLinkLink
ComputerGnomesProbableLink
bASICFailedLink
CoreMinerProbableLink
HashBlasterPossibleLinkLink
NitroMinerProbableLinkLink

Questionable - May be legitimate but exhibits questionable behavior
Possible - Outside chance that this may be real
Probable - Most likely a scam
Confirmed - Has stolen or attempted to steal money/bitcoin from forum member(s)
Failed - May have been a scam but disappeared or shutdown before confirmed

Useful Links
Previous Scam List (not updated)
Mining Equipment Comparison Table

• Inclusion to this list is not proof of a scam.  It is meant as a warning to take precautions and do research.
  • Exclusion from this list is not a verification of legitimacy.  If you have concerns about a company not yet listed, join or start a discussion on the forum.
Pages:
Jump to: