Pages:
Author

Topic: The thoughts of a bubble buyer - page 2. (Read 4936 times)

Activity: 193
Merit: 100
August 28, 2013, 06:06:27 PM
What if bitcoin goes up and down repeatedly?  Most of the world won't care.  It isn't price that matters (thankfully, since nobody can accurately tell you where it is going), but the capabilities of the network.  Unless it breaks or something better is invented, it will eventually drag price up, but it will be a very bumpy ride.  In 10 years, it will either have cratered, or people will look back and see us arguing about what portion of the lower 0.01% of the graph price would be in.

Exactly, I’m amazed how few people on here seem to realise that the market cap of all of the Bitcoins in the world is a 100th of the cash Apple has on its balance sheet and doesn’t know what to do with.  This is a binary equation if you know which way it is going you will be wealthy by going short or long over time.  If you know what is going to happen between week to week, you will be infinitely wealthy pretty quickly.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
August 28, 2013, 05:56:50 PM
This is a silly question, but I'll answer anyway: by the time BTC will reach 2,000$, probably in a 2015 bubble spike,
I will have bought and sold about 100 times, of course if nothing catastrophic happens in the meantime.
If this winter BTC will rise to a maximum of about 150$, I will be glad to sell at that price, knowing that after
capitulation I'll be able to buy back at about 100$. That's not what I'm worried about, it would be great BTC
to rise to 150$ during the next bubble period. But the big unknown ( to me ) is how much speculator money
is going to stay on Gox after this bubble period collapses. If the bubble deflates completely, the price could
drop to the 50s and kind of stabilize, and I would hate that, it would be more difficult for me to make a profit.

Ah, I didn’t realise you had a crystal ball….

Yep.  He knows the future.  For some reason, it looks nothing like the past of bitcoin.  As they say "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme".
August 28, 2013, 05:50:45 PM
This is a silly question, but I'll answer anyway: by the time BTC will reach 2,000$, probably in a 2015 bubble spike,
I will have bought and sold about 100 times, of course if nothing catastrophic happens in the meantime.
If this winter BTC will rise to a maximum of about 150$, I will be glad to sell at that price, knowing that after
capitulation I'll be able to buy back at about 100$. That's not what I'm worried about, it would be great BTC
to rise to 150$ during the next bubble period. But the big unknown ( to me ) is how much speculator money
is going to stay on Gox after this bubble period collapses. If the bubble deflates completely, the price could
drop to the 50s and kind of stabilize, and I would hate that, it would be more difficult for me to make a profit.

Ah, I didn’t realise you had a crystal ball….

legendary
August 28, 2013, 05:43:29 PM
What if bitcoin goes up and down repeatedly?  Most of the world won't care.  It isn't price that matters (thankfully, since nobody can accurately tell you where it is going), but the capabilities of the network.  Unless it breaks or something better is invented, it will eventually drag price up, but it will be a very bumpy ride.  In 10 years, it will either have cratered, or people will look back and see us arguing about what portion of the lower 0.01% of the graph price would be in.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
August 28, 2013, 05:33:44 PM
What if bitcoin goes back to the single digits and then grows 5% annually over a decades?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1094
August 28, 2013, 05:25:25 PM
August 28, 2013, 04:35:58 PM
Since most posters don't want to tell the OP the naked truth ( and don't want him to learn ), I'll say it again:
It was obviously a stupid move to buy close to the top of a bubble spike, and another stupid move
not to sell on the rebound after the crash ( which many people did ). That was a typical 'one mistake
leads to another' situation. So don't think I'm harsh on you, I made the stupid move to buy
in May at about 110$. That's because I was a total n00b back then. The right time to buy is when
there is ( most ) blood in the streets. And the right time to sell is when the market peaks ( these days ), then
wait for the bottom of the bear market and buy back more. These are very simple market rules, but most posters
want you to just hold to your overpriced coins. Well, maybe next year there will be another bubble spike.

What if the next time there is “blood on the streets” is when Bitcoin falls from $2,000 to $500 and you sold at $150?
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
August 28, 2013, 03:19:21 PM
If your interested in investing you should really ignore anything to to with adoption. If the current price was $5, bitcoin could still have all the utility it has now in the marketplace, velocity would just have to increase.

Bill Gates could store half of his net worth in Bitcoin at $5 each?

no.

I suppose he couldn't do it at $125 each either, could he? Is it possible that someone could at $125 but not $5? Wouldn't that mean less utility at the lower exchange rate?

yes, there's a lot of value in getting bitcoins value high.

Bill Gate is valued at $72.7 Billion

so assuming there are ~12 million bitcoins, bitcoin would have to be about 2666.66666666666 to accommodate half of Bill Gate's net worth.

but bitcoin has to hold most of my networth too... so 3K / bitcoin is necessary!   Grin

its always fun to do bitcoin math.
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
August 28, 2013, 03:01:03 PM
If your interested in investing you should really ignore anything to to with adoption. If the current price was $5, bitcoin could still have all the utility it has now in the marketplace, velocity would just have to increase.

Bill Gates could store half of his net worth in Bitcoin at $5 each?

no.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
August 28, 2013, 02:46:05 PM
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
August 28, 2013, 02:41:02 PM
OP, sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I had good intentions. I wish you good luck in holding to your coins on long term.

IMO the train is not close to leaving the station. My guess is that at best BTC is going to compete with Paypal, and this
alone could lead to a price above 1,000$ / coin. But on short term, adoption is still slow, and the transition from
illegal drugs and weapons to mass adoption is very questionable. I rather see BTC used by companies to bribe
government officials all over the world, because BTC transactions are less traceable than bank account transfers.

While it can be interesting to compare the transaction volume in paypal with the transaction volume in bitcoin, the two systems are so different the comparison is not all that relevant. Major differences: Paypal is dependent on the banking system in each end, bitcoin does not. It makes no sense to save in paypal, "paypals" (dollar deposits in paypal) are sometimes hard to get out, but it makes sense to save in bitcoins. Bitcoin can operate in all but the most totalitarian countries, paypal can not.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
August 28, 2013, 02:21:32 PM
I am sorry for the OP, but he acted stupidly. Selling at 150 would have allowed him to buy back at 100, then sell at 130
and buy back at 70, resulting in a doubling of his coins. OP, if you aren't willing to take a small loss in order to avoid a greater
loss and create the premises for a future win, you'll just have to wait until BTC grows enough to make a profit.
Hi, can i borrow your crystal sphere? I want to predict the future too.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
August 28, 2013, 01:33:46 PM
@neutrinox

You want to make money? I think I cannot help you then. I'm only interested in holding assets. I do not believe in EUR or USD any more.

I try it with a hint:

1) You trust in two assets A and B, but not in USD
You are holding 10000 times asset A which is worth 1 USD each.
And you are holding 100 times asset B which is worth 100 USD each.
I mention the worth in USD only for the relation of the assets, so in this example one share of B is 100 times as worth as one share of A

2) Think about asset B is "crashing" to the half
Now you are holding 10000 times asset A.
And you are holding 100 times asset B which is worth 50 times of asset A each.

3) What can you do now?
Sell B and buy A
Now you are holding 15000 times asset A, 50% more than before. 25% loss. PANIC!

4) As an alternative?
Sell A and buy B
Now you are holding 300 times asset B, 200% more than before. 50% gain. ENJOY!

5) Compare 3) and 4)
What I want so say is, nothing did change really. Because directly after the "crash" you own the same number of shares as before.

So, as a conclusion for you: Invest only in assets that you really believe in. In this sense BTC can fail as every other share can, so distribute your savings to other independant assets too. This is not for getting rich quickly, but slowly and for sure. Invest anti-cyclical. This is boring, but you benefit from greed, panic, and manipulation. Don't blame others from their recommendation, it's your decision alone. If you do want to become rich quickly, I cannot help you.
legendary
August 28, 2013, 12:23:43 PM
For perspective, look at your losses in the NYSE this week.

SPXU FTW
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
August 28, 2013, 12:19:25 PM
For perspective, look at your losses in the NYSE this week.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
August 28, 2013, 12:14:55 PM
To the OP:

Don't feel too bad, I bought [too many] coins at [much higher than] $230.

I'm still eternally bullish, and have had the opportunity a few times since then to add to my wallet at lower prices (eg, at $60 when I got the chance).

I have no doubt in my mind that the rate will get back to (and far beyond) what I paid for them eventually, just a matter of time.

Meanwhile, here's to hoping there are still more opportunities yet for buying coins under $100!! Wink

Much higher than $230? How is that possible?

ATH was $266, and a few hours before the crash the price was BELOW $230 - how did you manage to buy "much higher" than $230???

$266 = Much higher than $230

Yes, I bought a lot of coins at $265-ish. It was only up there for a few hours but it was very high volumes being traded, and I was in there buying :/

Edit: I just noticed my forum activity is now 266.

"Insult? Meet injury. Injury, that's insult."
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
August 28, 2013, 12:13:11 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Sad

Don't be sorry, I'm not!

I meant to express my sympathy for the pain you experienced by losing.

Did you experience pain? 

Not really. You could say I was slightly annoyed. But being a bull I was also happy to have the opportunity to buy some at lower prices.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
August 28, 2013, 12:03:05 PM
I think it is just to early to tell what bitcoin is going to do. The client is in beta, few have heard of bitcoin, most of the major markets are still untapped (foreign remittance for example). We are still in the early adoption phase, and likely will be for a few years.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!
August 28, 2013, 11:57:26 AM

Don't be sorry, I'm not!

I meant to express my sympathy for the pain you experienced by losing.

Did you experience pain? 
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
August 28, 2013, 11:55:47 AM

Don't be sorry, I'm not!
Pages:
Jump to: