Pages:
Author

Topic: This message was too old and has been purged - page 3. (Read 12669 times)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

I would also drop the Coin and just name the project "Elastic"
and in the crowdfunding one can get "tokens" instead of coins.

[ELC] Elastic: A Revolutionary, Crypto-Driven Computation Cluster (weighted Crowdfunding)

Hadn't considered it before, but I think you are right. 'Elastic Coin' sounds like a generic crypto ... either just 'Elastic' or 'Elastic Cluster', or something similar does sound a bit more professional.

I like the token idea too. Tokens would allow earlier trading too (such as how assets are traded on NXT, or how Maidsafe did things). But I don't think EK wants to go that way.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168
This message was too old and has been purged
Activity: 690
Merit: 505
Cryptorials.io
One thing that attracted me to this was the idea that miners would also earn transactions fees - effectively subsidizing the cost of computation for the customer (and subsidizing the cost of mining for the cryptocurrency as well) and making this network highly competitive on price. But for that to work, you need transactions taking place, which means marketing this as both a computation cluster and a digital currency or 'coin'.

This is exactly how this will work.
I am right now working on the "system design" section. Expect it to be done pretty soon. I try to make the "big picture" clear not only from the technical point of view, but also easily understandable.

Phew, with all the technical talk about how it will work I have been worrying that the economic aspect may not end up being as I thought when I put my money in, so its good to know that this economic advantage will be preserved.

First version of the FAA section (mainly, the description of the FAA)

Minor things:

Is termed Blockchain and aims for preventing to prevent / for the prevention of

emerge from one block of which the longest eventually survives (add comma after survives)

the key idea is to working towards solving arbitrary computationally expensive tasks <- either 'to work towards' or just 'working towards', not 'to working'.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
1.1 change to consider

para 1: about half way down - be on the safe sides to: be on the safe side
           near the bottom - get rewarded with a certain amount of ELC to: get rewarded with a determined amount of ELC crypto-currency, similar to
           the Bitcoin mining process.

I am a bit confused on the FAA attack ...it seems a miner would not know what he is working or at least should not know, so while he may submitted an algorithm he should not have access to nor know what he is working on.  It is stated in the Intro   "All this happens "behind the scenes" in a process called mining with out the requirement of manual intervention."  It seems there should be a seperation of miners from being able to know what they are working from the beginning.  I am assuming this manual intervention is equivalent to human intervention (miners). 

I realized my understanding of the behind the scenes is limited....
legendary
Cryptorials.io
good point.

[ELC] Elastic: A Revolutionary, Crypto-Driven Computation Cluster (weighted Crowdfunding)

Thanks for your ideas. I also tend to go this way.
However, I am not sure if the term "tokens" could devaluate itself from the marketing perspective.
In fact, ELC (coins or tokens) would (hopefully at some point) have an intrinsic value which is mostly determined by the price of comparable computation clusters available.

Any other opinions here from the rest of the community? We should find a consensus before the promotional video gets created (which will happen pretty soon).

I'd like to know how its going to work before making a decision on this, but I think we may want to keep the 'coins' instead of tokens, even if we drop them from the main title which I don't mind at all.

My reasoning is that I would anticipate a distributed network being less efficient than a commercial operation with wholesale electricity and so on, meaning that providing a competitive price for computation may not be easy.

One thing that attracted me to this was the idea that miners would also earn transactions fees - effectively subsidizing the cost of computation for the customer (and subsidizing the cost of mining for the cryptocurrency as well) and making this network highly competitive on price. But for that to work, you need transactions taking place, which means marketing this as both a computation cluster and a digital currency or 'coin'.
legendary
no thanks , i like being invisible

legendary
intro changes to consider

para 1:  previously infeasible research to be accomplished

para 2: drop sub and just use projects
              does not work in the general case. to  does not work well (efficently) in general.
              for the users to for the ordinary user to
para 3: change scheme to system

i to would shy away frow the use of coin and token... it gives a childish impression to the whole concept.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 942
Merit: 1026
... Another thing I would suggest for the project is to drop the 'Coin' or rebrand completely, by its concept this isn't another coin, but something in the ranks of ethereum/augur etc. so calling it a coin really devalues it, and hides it in the multitude of all the clonecoins.
good point.

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Sounds like Zennet.  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pre-annzenpre-sale-zennet-decentralized-supercomputer-official-thread-736447

Forgive my skepticism as your intentions maybe honorable and I respect lofty goals, but I cannot conceive of a project of this complexity ever getting off the ground with the amount of funding you are likely to raise.

I hope you prove me wrong but I'll be sitting on the sidelines for this one.  Good luck.

is ZINNET  going to this one? 

http://www.idni.org/pre-sale

agora tokens.

legendary
Activity: 432
Merit: 251
––Δ͘҉̀░░
Regarding the intro, I think it would be better to go a bit deeper into the functions of distributed computing (scientific and economic). Another thing I would suggest for the project is to drop the 'Coin' or rebrand completely, by its concept this isn't another coin, but something in the ranks of ethereum/augur etc. so calling it a coin really devalues it, and hides it in the multitude of all the clonecoins.
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
MiG Messenger - earn while chatting
Sounds like Zennet.  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pre-annzenpre-sale-zennet-decentralized-supercomputer-official-thread-736447

Forgive my skepticism as your intentions maybe honorable and I respect lofty goals, but I cannot conceive of a project of this complexity ever getting off the ground with the amount of funding you are likely to raise.

I hope you prove me wrong but I'll be sitting on the sidelines for this one.  Good luck.
Cryptorials.io
I like the introduction, it gives a good overview of the aims of this project. Also its good of you to include people who've contributed to the discussion in this thread in the acknowledgements.

Its the later parts I'm really looking forward to reading though, since I think we still don't really know how consensus is going to work and how it can be made resistant to attacks like FAA.

Thank you very much for the feedback.
The other parts will follow today. The FAA will be a big topic in the remainder of the paper.
All aspects that still need some discussion will be marked red  Wink

As soon as that for the rest - excellent!
legendary
Cryptorials.io
I like the introduction, it gives a good overview of the aims of this project. Also its good of you to include people who've contributed to the discussion in this thread in the acknowledgements.

Its the later parts I'm really looking forward to reading though, since I think we still don't really know how consensus is going to work and how it can be made resistant to attacks like FAA.

legendary
Pages:
Jump to: