Pages:
Author

Topic: This message was too old and has been purged - page 12. (Read 50741 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168
This message was too old and has been purged
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Looks like I need to post an apology, so here it is:

My previous response was both premature and immature. Please accept my sincere apology, and congratulations on your successful test.

EDIT: And please give your tool a nicer name  Grin

Thanks,

Ritual.
legendary
Activity: 98
Okay guys, I have found the reason why i am trying to crack those for around 3 days now.

it is clearly not a problem on my side, but the "Secret Exponent" Field is size limited on the brainwallet.org website. Meaning if you paste in a number which is too long, the end gets cut off. DOH!

Please repeat the process with numbers, that actually fit in the secret exponent field completely.
Sorry for this inconvenience ...

If you generate your address completely as to the manual, and the exponent does not get cut off, I will need around 15 minutes per Private Key MAX!

1AHuqqrtfxfmTC4KQNGDX7kedxdgpQnUmD

Pub key: 04db259553306519117692a0175d8abdd8ef2f12fcb3a2a56e7d4879e049f9abdc5a9244906da8f 58879b4de5d0b8c3182e4acfe9c231a379037aba1f5cc541d02
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
Well, at this point I think we can safely assume this is horseshit.

-1, it's very interesting.

I hope nobody gave him 2 bitcoins. Damn glad I didn't.

This is debatable, guy needs to pay 10 BTC for the triples somehow. Maybe he got some funds from the academia to finance that.
Well, at this point I think we can safely assume this is horseshit.

I hope nobody gave him 2 bitcoins. Damn glad I didn't.

Rit.
Activity: 76
Also, given his work on the mining thread, I'd say that Evil has lost interest in this little piece of software and has instead concentrated his efforts on cracking the entire curve instead.

Doubt we'll see him again here on this thread, but I stand to be corrected - pleasantly so.

Rit.

You sounds like Evil Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1367
Merit: 1000
I will tell you the private key immediately.
Does "immediately" mean more than 24h?  Huh
Also, given his work on the mining thread, I'd say that Evil has lost interest in this little piece of software and has instead concentrated his efforts on cracking the entire curve instead.

Doubt we'll see him again here on this thread, but I stand to be corrected - pleasantly so.

Rit.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Thank you. Very thorough answer.  :-D
So how can we find out if our addresses are "weak"?

You can't.

I'm no expert on elliptical curves, but basically it seems to come down to this:

- Every address is a point on the elliptical curve, described by a triplet.

- Evil has mapped 768 by himself, and is currently mapping thousands more of rendezvous points - fixed points on the curve.

- Your address might, or might not be "close" to any given rendezvous point.

- If it is, he can crack it in a short time, by using an arc-attack. That is, he can figure out a tiny portion of the curve, and attack it.

- If your address is within this tiny arc, it's weak.

- As he adds more rendezvous points (i.e. platforms of attack), every address potentially falls into his attackable zones.

A few things:

1. We do not know how far from a rendezvous point he can reasonably attack.
2. We have no context on how many rendezvous points make a problem - i.e. 768 points could be a serious issue for a large portion of the namespace, or 150 million could be non-serious. We just don;t know this.
3. The namespace is ENORMOUS.
4. The chances of any given address falling in an attackable space appears to be very small.
5. The addresses in use are (we must assume) randomly distributed
6. This means any address could be weak or strong, and we cannot know this either.

Until Evil can do two things, nobody can know if this is a threat:

a. Actually crack an address. He's given a script which should generate a weak address. So anything output by that should have been cracked quickly. i.e. by now.
b. Publish how far from any given rendezvous point his attack can go, and the portion of the curve in total he can attack.

To expand that last point a bit:

Total namespace: 2^160.
Rendezvous points: 768 (at this time)

Divide the namespace by the points and that's a hell of a lot of black space which cannot be attacked.

If he can go 50 trillion points to either side of the points, this might not be a very big portion of the namespace at all.

On the other hand, if Evil has figured out a way to work with only the used namespace, then Bitcoin is in serious shit.

Rit.

PS: I might have alot of the above surmises wrong. I'm no mathematician, and I'm certainly no cryptographer.
Activity: 76
Evil, meaby I'm very bad posting this, but I want to understand your work. What do you want to get? All the weak address or only the rendezvous points??

Is something like that?
I would def pay less for a checker program. Please make it available!

Probably with a modified version of Evil's program Tongue

He's put a lot of time into in, specifically having other people help him by generating thousands of rendezvous points or something, I generated a few myself.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out... and maybe if you could attempt to bruteforce any of a list of bitcoin addresses.

Edit: Although I'm also interested in Bitcoin devs making it more secure if this is real Wink
Also tbh there's nothing we can do to speed him up while he's offline.... so just wait I guess.

It'll still be impressive if cracked.

Agree with both.

Feel free to send me a few thousand bitcoins if you're "feeling it " hahah Smiley

Rit.
Also tbh there's nothing we can do to speed him up while he's offline.... so just wait I guess.

It'll still be impressive if cracked.
weedoge - you just gave tsoPANos those BTC Smiley

He was the one who posted the test, and he has the private key.

But yeah, we've butted heads on this thread, and probably won't go drinking together, but tso is right - we need an update.

What happened to "I'll crack any weak key immediately"?

Rit.

It's cool, I just felt like sending it. Tongue We'll see where it goes anyway.
weedoge - you just gave tsoPANos those BTC Smiley

He was the one who posted the test, and he has the private key.

But yeah, we've butted heads on this thread, and probably won't go drinking together, but tso is right - we need an update.

What happened to "I'll crack any weak key immediately"?

Rit.
Pages:
Jump to: