Pages:
Author

Topic: Thorium power, how is it going in the US? - page 2. (Read 11245 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
November 27, 2012, 03:18:59 PM
Thanks for the article.

I thought Thorium was a common material.

That's the best part. It is, relative to other nuclear fuels.
Activity: 1778
Merit: 504
WorkAsPro
November 27, 2012, 01:08:16 PM
Thanks for the article.

I thought Thorium was a common material.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
November 26, 2012, 06:06:01 PM
Except for the once-a decade cold fusion hoaxes. Can't go without mentioning them  Cheesy

But look on the bright side, if the trend holds you can buy thorium reactors from China by 2022.

Yeah, but the paint on them will contain lead.

'ts okay, what's a little melamine on the milk among friends, rite?  :-)
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
November 26, 2012, 04:11:26 PM
Except for the once-a decade cold fusion hoaxes. Can't go without mentioning them  Cheesy

But look on the bright side, if the trend holds you can buy thorium reactors from China by 2022.

I lold.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 2245
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
November 26, 2012, 04:10:16 PM

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.
November 26, 2012, 01:58:06 PM
The Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project is an open source replication effort whose leads are currently attempting to replicate the Francesco Celani excess heat experiment while making their research and apparatus public and building kits to farm out to scientists who want to try it out.

http://www.quantumheat.org/
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
November 26, 2012, 01:55:16 PM
If everyone had that kind of attitude (I won't believe it's possible until it is fully commercialized) we would still be riding horses to work.
The inability distinguish between magic and science displayed in your comment is why we haven't seen as much technological advancement as we otherwise could have.

Um, wtf are you talking about.  I made no such comment as far as I can see.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
November 26, 2012, 12:38:01 PM
If everyone had that kind of attitude (I won't believe it's possible until it is fully commercialized) we would still be riding horses to work.
The inability distinguish between magic and science displayed in your comment is why we haven't seen as much technological advancement as we otherwise could have.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
November 26, 2012, 12:26:20 PM

I'm sure there are lots of hoaxes, but that's only noise to bury the real findings that scientists have made during the same period. Anomalous energy from hydrogen somehow reacting with nickel to produce copper is a fact. The main questions are: how does it happen? And how can a reactor based on it be designed so the energy is actually usable and not minuscule?

Hydrogen-nickel fusion without big accelerator? Bullshit. I won't belive it until I'll se a working power plant with my own eyes.

legendary
November 26, 2012, 10:46:34 AM
I think without some serious scientific breakthrough remains in the realm of sci-fi.

In this case, any scientific discovery is always going to be a direct threat to the Petro-Dollar. A 'break-through' is never going to get published.

It's not just that, but the whole academic establishment is locked into some belief about physics which ultimately stops any real innovation.
On the other the fringe is full of people who engage in the same kind of thought process.

Both rely on long abandoned mathematical concepts. Quaternions have been around for over a century but still they use tensors and even build a sum in a way it is not permitted outside "special" relativity.
Of course you cannot come to those false conclusions with Quaternions but since the establishment religiously believes in them it is not permitted to use them at all.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
November 26, 2012, 10:44:46 AM
Hydrogen-nickel fusion without big accelerator? Bullshit. I won't belive it until I'll se a working power plant with my own eyes.

Excellent! The subject has been conditioned to respond with precisely the right amount of scepticism!

Try googling 'e-cat', Rossi, LENR, etc. Do some research.

Edit: and it's not just some Italian entrepreneur, NASA and Los Alamos have also been researching LENR.

I think without some serious scientific breakthrough remains in the realm of sci-fi.

In this case, any scientific discovery is always going to be a direct threat to the Petro-Dollar. A 'break-through' is never going to get published.

If you insist:
Stright from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Catalyzer

"theoretical astrophysicist Ethan Siegel and nuclear physicist Peter Thieberger argue that the claims for the E-Cat are incompatible with the fundamentals of nuclear physics.[31] In particular, the Coulomb barrier for the claimed fusion reaction is so high that it is unsurpassable anywhere in the known universe, including the interior of stars. The reaction also would create gamma radiation that would penetrate the few inches of shielding apparently provided by the E-Cat, leading to acute radiation syndrome in persons involved in the demonstrations.[31] Given numerous other scientific inconsistencies – such as the ratio of isotopes in the supposed copper "fusion product" being identical to that in natural copper[32] – the authors argue that it is now time "for the e-Cat's proponents to provide the provable, testable, reproducible science that can answer these straightforward physics objections."

A little lesson of physics:
When comes to shooting proton into nuclei problem is that protons repell eachother. When you reduce distance by half, repelling force gets 4 times stronger. It obviously doesent scale to infinity, but at some point the forces between protons inside nuclei and one that you are trying to infuse are getting EXTREME.

Additionally there is another problem - the atoms nuclei is so small, that hitting it even without repelling force is extremally unlikely. When comes to neutrons there is no repelling, and low hit probability is solved by breeding huge amounts of them - thanks to this nuclear powerplants can work.

As I said: Show me working commercial E-cat, or it didnt happen.
legendary
November 26, 2012, 08:45:21 AM
The question is how far do you go to call something a 'fact'. A blackbox demonstration done in a obscure lab by some company taking money from investors?
For me definitely not.

November 26, 2012, 08:33:47 AM

I'm sure there are lots of hoaxes, but that's only noise to bury the real findings that scientists have made during the same period. Anomalous energy from hydrogen somehow reacting with nickel to produce copper is a fact. The main questions are: how does it happen? And how can a reactor based on it be designed so the energy is actually usable and not minuscule?

legendary
November 26, 2012, 06:42:47 AM

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 3090
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
November 26, 2012, 05:17:49 AM
Waiwaiwait... WE HAVE FUSION REACTORS ALREADY?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.  I want a Mr. Fusion for my black Trans Am, NOW!!!  I won't be able to go to the future with it, but I would most definitely achieve Super Pursuit forrealz.
Settle down, the current state of fusion research is nowhere near as advanced as you hope.

Yes, fusion reactors exist, and you can even build one for only a few thousand dollars if you know what you're doing. But there are a couple of problems. First of all, most fusion reactions (including all of the most practical ones) produce a huge amount of neutron radiation, which (unlike most other forms of radiation) causes anything exposed to it to become radioactive. When the reactor components wear out and need replacing, they will be highly radioactive and need to be disposed of as such. Anyone claiming that fusion reactors produce no radioactive waste is lying.

The second problem is even more serious. To get nuclear fusion, you need to produce and confine an extremely high temperature plasma, and no current designs* have been able to achieve this without consuming more energy than the fusion reaction produces. (Note that a loss of plasma confinement is not particularly dangerous, as although the plasma is at a very high temperature and pressure, the density is so low that it's virtually a vacuum, with a correspondingly low heat content. Instead of the reactor heating up and melting, the plasma cools. Cool plasma is no good for fusion though, so confinement is still extremely important, but losing confinement isn't the catastrophe that one might imagine it to be.) No currently operating fusion reactors are capable of producing net power, and all are used either for research purposes or as a controllable source of neutron radiation.

*Nitpickers will be quick to point out that fission bombs are capable of producing high temperature plasma and confining it just long enough to get a good fusion reaction out of it without consuming much energy, but this has an obvious drawback.
Activity: 257
Merit: 250
Not trusting third parties with my private keys
November 25, 2012, 07:41:07 PM
So given all that why did we use a uranium fuel cycle .... Simple, you can't build bombs with thorium.  The sad thing is the uranium legacy was for nothing.   After the DOD co-opted the DOE nuclear program and steered (forced ?) development away from Thorium and towards weapon friendly Uanium  it become obvious that power reactors would never be able to produce the quantity of weapons grade material necessary.  So we built dedicated "bomb reactors" optimized for the production of weapons grade plutonium.   The rest of the world copied the US model since the R&D, designs, and expertise already existed and Thorium being theoretical and untested got sidelined for 60 years.  

So, we don't have Thorium reactors today, because sociopathic closeted mass murderers saw no ability to use them to terrorize hundreds of millions of people with the threat of genocide.

Typical statist-religious bullshit.

The timely invention of the atomic bomb saved over 4 million lives:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1708051/posts

Again, solar is going to get all the money now because it has had such a radical breakthrough in the last 3 years.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
November 25, 2012, 07:30:36 PM
Little offtopic guys, but there is something bugging me - since nuclear power plants are producing strontium-90 as one of fission products, wouldnt it be a good idea to use it to produce electricty? According to wikipedia strontium-90 produces around 0.46 kilowatts of heat per kilogram, due to radioactive decay with half life of about 30 years. Wouldnt it be a good idea to turn it into power source? I mean something like Radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTG) or just hot steam production for traditional turbines?
It's hard to accumulate enough of it in a small place to produce usable amounts of energy.

Just due to thermodynamics thermal energy is difficult to convert into a usable, concentrated form like electricity unless the temperature of your heat source exceeds 250C, and even that isn't particularly efficient.
November 25, 2012, 07:16:57 PM
No, a permit is required regardless of what you are doing.  In the case of small research reactors, the licensing process is often as expensive as the construction of the entire reactor.  One reason that no one makes small, neighborhood sized reactors even though they certainly could.  A town in Alaska has been asked by some manufactuer from Japan to field test a prototype reactor that supposedly needs no attention nor refuling for 30 years at a time.  I forget what that type was called but it resembled a pencil stuck eraser first into a concrete hole in the ground.  The eraser being the actual reactor and the shaft of the pencil being a set of molten salt lines to function as a heat transport loop to the surface where the generators would be housed.  Last I heard the town was all about it, considering that they were so remote that everything ran on deisal gensets, but the NRC wan't giving the idea the time of day.  That would have been ten years ago, I think.

I think, you are speaking of Toshiba 4S reactor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_4S

Little offtopic guys, but there is something bugging me - since nuclear power plants are producing strontium-90 as one of fission products, wouldnt it be a good idea to use it to produce electricty? According to wikipedia strontium-90 produces around 0.46 kilowatts of heat per kilogram, due to radioactive decay with half life of about 30 years. Wouldnt it be a good idea to turn it into power source? I mean something like Radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTG) or just hot steam production for traditional turbines?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
November 25, 2012, 06:10:40 PM
Waiwaiwait... WE HAVE FUSION REACTORS ALREADY?

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.  I want a Mr. Fusion for my black Trans Am, NOW!!!  I won't be able to go to the future with it, but I would most definitely achieve Super Pursuit forrealz.
Pages:
Jump to: