Pages:
Author

Topic: Thoughts about Passport hardware wallet - page 4. (Read 2191 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5811
not your keys, not your coins!
January 20, 2022, 10:17:08 AM
I expect this extra features to be removed in next generation Passport, it's time for more serious approach if they want to survive new kid on the Block (ex Square) hardware wallet from Jack Dorsey.
Block released a hardware wallet? Can't find anything about this topic tbh.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
January 13, 2022, 07:25:50 PM
For a second I thought it was "Tetris" Cheesy
No it wasn't, but I noticed one other hardware wallet that really has Tetris game called Stacking Stats and I am bringing some screenshots for the first time.
Available also in same device secret menu are Snakamoto game, Internet Browser (not real) and Screenshots  Cheesy
I expect this extra features to be removed in next generation Passport, it's time for more serious approach if they want to survive new kid on the Block (ex Square) hardware wallet from Jack Dorsey.
Other competition is also not sleeping and they are getting serious, but I think that ledger is now in self destruction mode.

https://twitter.com/gq0/status/1481513688720891905
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 25, 2021, 04:40:17 PM
To be honest, seeing more Linux-based smartphones would be great. Some more players / competition in that field is needed.
If it's just their own take of such an OS for existing Linux phones, it would still be interesting to see what they come up with!
I am seeing several mainstream Linux operating system constantly working on mobile version OS, so I think it's possible but road will not be easy and you can bet that phones will not work perfectly.
I never owner pinephone (I would like to have one) and I never tested installing Linux on some old phone so I don't know how it works in daily life.

In my mind, it's also possible they'll first release some smaller 'gadget' type accessories when talking about 'hardware' - that can be a very vague thing, like steel backup plates and other backup items. I got this idea from what ShiftCrypto started doing a good while ago now.
I saw them asking on their community channels for feedback what would people want to see next device/gadget coming from, and yeah it's possible they will just add metal plates,
or maybe they will piss off Coinkite and Coldcard again and make their own version of Opendime or Blockclock.
I think it's important to have some cheap banknote option for Bitcoin like Opendime, Satodime or Tangem.
It's going to be fun and interesting watching reaction of NVK after that  Cheesy

December 23, 2021, 08:02:12 PM
I think they are working on creating new Passport branded smartphones, laptops and OS that are privacy oriented, like we saw with Pinephone, Pinebook, CalyxOS, GrapheneOS, etc.
To be honest, seeing more Linux-based smartphones would be great. Some more players / competition in that field is needed.
If it's just their own take of such an OS for existing Linux phones, it would still be interesting to see what they come up with!

In my mind, it's also possible they'll first release some smaller 'gadget' type accessories when talking about 'hardware' - that can be a very vague thing, like steel backup plates and other backup items. I got this idea from what ShiftCrypto started doing a good while ago now.

ShiftCrypto Ultimate Backup bundle
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 23, 2021, 05:21:14 AM
Regardless of the story behind their new logo, personally, I prefer the previous one more...
I don't really care what logo they are using, it's how device works that is more important, but ledger also changed their logo recently so it must be a new trend  Wink

While I was reading through the same blog post, the following part caught my attention
I think they are working on creating new Passport branded smartphones, laptops and OS that are privacy oriented, like we saw with Pinephone, Pinebook, CalyxOS, GrapheneOS, etc.
It's just my speculation, but I guess they will have problems with making any new hardware devices because if the chip shortages continue.

It appears they'll be adding support for Taproot soon:
Yeah I saw that, it's about time after ledger and trezor did it, and they are also planning of adding dice roll entropy seed verification in 2022, maybe something similar like Coldcard and Keystone are doing.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 23, 2021, 02:20:55 AM
New batch2 devices will probably have this new logo, and they explained new mission they have in their latest blog post.
Regardless of the story behind their new logo, personally, I prefer the previous one more...

• While I was reading through the same blog post, the following part caught my attention:

It appears they'll be adding support for Taproot soon:

Bitcoin Embedded Software Engineer
~Snipped~
Select Responsibilities

• Add support for Taproot and future Bitcoin improvements
    ~Snipped~
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 22, 2021, 05:58:03 PM
I'm confident they'll listen to any constructive criticism from anyone in the community and not just existing customers - at least I hope they do; that's what
I don't know if you noticed one more update from Passport Foundation that is less important, they are rebranding with new triangle style logo (three chords arranged in a circle), so don't get confused about that.
New batch2 devices will probably have this new logo, and they explained new mission they have in their latest blog post.
Selling 1000 devices for first year is not bad at all, but it can't really be compared with thousands or millions of devices sold by other HW manufacturers.

https://foundationdevices.com/2021/12/foundations-new-logo-and-mission/
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
December 06, 2021, 10:44:46 AM
The first thing that came into my dingbat little head when I saw this device was this:

And this is a great idea for a start-up: to release a hardware wallet in a phone case  Smiley.  I mean, phone mimicry. Can release a device under the guise of a chinese phone with a similar design to old phones. When asked what it is?, it will be possible to answer that this is just a telephone and will save you from unnecessary inquiries.

As you can see from the picture, wallet Passport is already close to it.

December 04, 2021, 08:57:28 PM
I mean it seems they did already improve the power management didn't they?
I am not sure is power management is changed and I didn't study schematics.
All I know is that they changed size of device making it thinner and they improved glass making it better and less scratchable.
I just dug around a bit and found out the slimmer design seems to be due to switching to Li-Ion batteries.
Do note though, that I don't have any special contact with them or anything, I can just email their support staff.
Let's see how powerful and convincing you are, because it's more likely they will listen someone who actually owns their Passport device, and not some tech freak like me Wink
I'm confident they'll listen to any constructive criticism from anyone in the community and not just existing customers - at least I hope they do; that's what I'd do... Smiley
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 04, 2021, 07:07:33 AM
I mean it seems they did already improve the power management didn't they?
I am not sure is power management is changed and I didn't study schematics.
All I know is that they changed size of device making it thinner and they improved glass making it better and less scratchable.

Do note though, that I don't have any special contact with them or anything, I can just email their support staff.
Let's see how powerful and convincing you are, because it's more likely they will listen someone who actually owns their Passport device, and not some tech freak like me Wink
December 03, 2021, 10:20:28 PM
It's great when products have open hardware; this kind of issue should be spottable from 'looking at it'.
Yeah, don't be like ledger making stuff closed source and hiding everything like a snake and then wondering wtf they have so much problems along the way.
Seriously, you should contact Passport Foundation devices and write your suggestion for improving power management, I have a feeling you will get new device for free  Cheesy
I don't know if you played snake on your device, but you could tell them to make clean version without games and they could also join bitcointalk forum.
I mean it seems they did already improve the power management didn't they? When I find the time, I'll try to compare old and new schematics and see if the improvements that I can spot 'statically' look good. Regarding 'free'; I decided to not ask for a review sample or anything, but I will be getting the Founders Edition discount, even though I ordered through a (official) reseller, hence it didn't arrive automatically. Also, only orders directly from Foundation are eligible for that discount, one thing to keep in mind for anyone reading here.. Smiley

Suggesting to offer a fw without shenanigans is a good idea, I will forward it, as well as the idea of creating a bitcointalk profile! Do note though, that I don't have any special contact with them or anything, I can just email their support staff.
So I would actually encourage if multiple people suggested this (especially the option to install a 'clean' fw, similar to Shift Crypto's 'Bitcoin only Firmware') via E-Mail. More messages means more interest = better chance of this happening. And it's also something easy to do, even for FE devices.
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 03, 2021, 06:43:02 AM
It's great when products have open hardware; this kind of issue should be spottable from 'looking at it'.
Yeah, don't be like ledger making stuff closed source and hiding everything like a snake and then wondering wtf they have so much problems along the way.
Seriously, you should contact Passport Foundation devices and write your suggestion for improving power management, I have a feeling you will get new device for free  Cheesy
I don't know if you played snake on your device, but you could tell them to make clean version without games and they could also join bitcointalk forum.
December 02, 2021, 07:34:58 PM
I did a few basic measurements; it seems it's not actually pulling a ton of power (though it should be possible to get that down as well), but the main issue is that the unit stops functioning when the batteries drop below I believe something like 1.3V.
So it's not actually draining the full 1.5V in a couple hours, it's draining 0.2 and not booting up after that. It makes you wonder if they even have a decent boost circuit at all or just running 3.3V electronics off 2 batteries LOL Cheesy
That probably explains why they advise using "1.5V Constant Voltage" rechargeable batteries... A lot of the "long life" rechargeable batteries often run below 1.5V, which seems likely to cause issues with this device. Undecided

Hopefully this is something they can rectify moving forward.

Yup, I remember last time I used rechargeable AA's they were 1.3V-ish when fully charged. I mean, anyone with the time and knowledge can read the old and new schematics and probably see if the situation will be better right off the bat. In my opinion, there has to be something seriously wrong if the boost circuit needs more than 2.6V to work; lots of products (e.g. your phone) are able to drain batteries to a minimum while still functioning, so I see no reason why this shouldn't work for Passport. It's great when products have open hardware; this kind of issue should be spottable from 'looking at it'.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
December 02, 2021, 05:19:30 PM
I did a few basic measurements; it seems it's not actually pulling a ton of power (though it should be possible to get that down as well), but the main issue is that the unit stops functioning when the batteries drop below I believe something like 1.3V.
So it's not actually draining the full 1.5V in a couple hours, it's draining 0.2 and not booting up after that. It makes you wonder if they even have a decent boost circuit at all or just running 3.3V electronics off 2 batteries LOL Cheesy
That probably explains why they advise using "1.5V Constant Voltage" rechargeable batteries... A lot of the "long life" rechargeable batteries often run below 1.5V, which seems likely to cause issues with this device. Undecided

Hopefully this is something they can rectify moving forward.
December 01, 2021, 02:30:52 PM
It makes you wonder if they even have a decent boost circuit at all or just running 3.3V electronics off 2 batteries LOL Cheesy
They have all schematics for their device released in public on their github page so  you can check out what exactly they are using:
https://github.com/Foundation-Devices/passport-electronics
Mmm it does have regulators. https://github.com/Foundation-Devices/passport-electronics/blob/master/Main%20Board/Documentation/Schematic%20Print/SCH_FD-JL-PCB-MB_E1.PDF
Still weird, that the device completely stops working when the battery still has like 90% of the energy in it. On the other hand, I've never designed anything around AA / AAA batteries myself, maybe it's much different from using rechargeable ones. But those, you can drive down to very low voltages and still boost easily to something your project can still use and run.

I did contact them about the screen indeed; and reviewers didn't mention it at all so it may be possible they listened to my feedback which would be sick. On one hand I'm a bit disappointed a second version comes so quick and such a big discount, but on the other hand I'm excited they listen to customer feedback so much and improve many things in a short time.
Maybe you should contact Passport developers and ask them for free replacement and batch2 version for testing, or they can provide you just with screen replacement Wink
Improved device will not going to be released before February 2022 so you still have time for application.
Hahah, I mean $200 with the discount code would already be a good deal but I guess maybe I can get a 'review sample'.
On batch 1 I really wanted to buy it with my own money to give a completely unbiased review. But v2, eh, maybe. I'd buy it anyway, as is visible from my post history where I already said I was going to get one Wink
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 01, 2021, 11:27:39 AM
It makes you wonder if they even have a decent boost circuit at all or just running 3.3V electronics off 2 batteries LOL Cheesy
They have all schematics for their device released in public on their github page so  you can check out what exactly they are using:
https://github.com/Foundation-Devices/passport-electronics

I did contact them about the screen indeed; and reviewers didn't mention it at all so it may be possible they listened to my feedback which would be sick. On one hand I'm a bit disappointed a second version comes so quick and such a big discount, but on the other hand I'm excited they listen to customer feedback so much and improve many things in a short time.
Maybe you should contact Passport developers and ask them for free replacement and batch2 version for testing, or they can provide you just with screen replacement Wink
Improved device will not going to be released before February 2022 so you still have time for application.
December 01, 2021, 11:15:59 AM
But it makes you wonder where the power is going.
Seriously tho, that seems like pretty poor battery life... that's somewhat unfortunate for a $200 device.

Still having to write up the whole review; it will all be in there when I get to it.

New updates and improvements are coming in batch2 of Passport wallet with improved electromechanical design that is 16% thinner.
Some people complained that screen was easy to scratch, maybe even n0nce was one of them, so batch2 will be switching to glass with hardness of 8H, that is often used as tempered glass screen protection for smartphones.
This will protect from scratches and it will be bonded with display for better clarity.
Documentation is now moved to new website with setup guide, faq, etc:
https://docs.foundationdevices.com/
(Looking at Ledger Nano S, which is many years old and still the best Ledger device for example Wink)
legendary
Cashback 15%
December 01, 2021, 07:58:52 AM
New updates and improvements are coming in batch2 of Passport wallet with improved electromechanical design that is 16% thinner.
Some people complained that screen was easy to scratch, maybe even n0nce was one of them, so batch2 will be switching to glass with hardness of 8H, that is often used as tempered glass screen protection for smartphones.
This will protect from scratches and it will be bonded with display for better clarity.
Documentation is now moved to new website with setup guide, faq, etc:
https://docs.foundationdevices.com/
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
November 17, 2021, 10:59:47 PM
But it makes you wonder where the power is going.
It's probably the secret 5G transmitter that is sending all your private keys to Bill Gates so he can fund the NWO Tongue

/s

Seriously tho, that seems like pretty poor battery life... that's somewhat unfortunate for a $200 device.
legendary
Cashback 15%
November 15, 2021, 11:02:13 AM
For the people who want to go fully offgrid: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193570338681
Solar battery chargers are also a great option to have, they are cheap, portable and you are can use them even in cases when there is no electricity.

I saw on Passport github page they are working on improving some issues with battery power in batch2 release, so maybe that will also reduce power usage.
Things that use most power in Passport device are main STM chip, secure element chip, LCD display and camera, but maybe it's something related with firmware.
Boards are divided in three parts, Main board (Processor and secure element) Camera board and Battery board (North and South), so maybe they could do better optimization for battery board.
Pages:
Jump to: