Pages:
Author

Topic: Thoughts have been left unsaid. - page 4. (Read 6833 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
October 26, 2011, 09:28:46 PM
He also seems to think that desire only applies to material possessions.

Look, you guys are hopeless. The whole lot of you. You are literally pulling these assumptions out of Lolie's ass. You know very little about me.

Let me turn things around here: Consider the possibility that every axiom you have pushed upon me could be wrong.
October 26, 2011, 09:26:41 PM
But you get to sound more worldly while at the same time insulting an entire religion. Atlas was probably going to watch The Buddha documentary on PBS, but his inner randian told him accepting public goods would make him weak.

Every good that is worth desiring is useful to the public. I find the idea of a "public good" silly. Everything benefits the public in some shape or form -- except looters and parasites.

Have you ever looked up the traditional economic definition of "public good"? It's a pretty useful classification of goods that withstand the difficulties of traditional free market pricing mechanisms.

This is an example where you would probably be surprised at your interest in reading up on actual terms.

I think the traditional term can go fuck itself.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
October 26, 2011, 08:24:52 PM
But you get to sound more worldly while at the same time insulting an entire religion. Atlas was probably going to watch The Buddha documentary on PBS, but his inner randian told him accepting public goods would make him weak.

Every good that is worth desiring is useful to the public. I find the idea of a "public good" silly. Everything benefits the public in some shape or form -- except looters and parasites.

Have you ever looked up the traditional economic definition of "public good"? It's a pretty useful classification of goods that withstand the difficulties of traditional free market pricing mechanisms.

This is an example where you would probably be surprised at your interest in reading up on actual terms.
October 26, 2011, 06:32:59 PM

October 26, 2011, 06:27:56 PM
Yeah, Atlas has said before that he (supposedly) ascribes to a sort of Buddhism, mixed with other philosophy, including, of course, Randian objectivism. Which is really, really weird, considering that the Randians all talk about desire and will as the prime movers of all human endeavor. The supermen are just the guys who wanted it more than everyone else, and that desire led them to accomplish great things. And Atlas himself talks about that poo poo all the time - having the will to do such and so, having the desire is what will make thus and such work, or whatever the gently caress.

Basically, claiming to be a Buddhist Randian is like being a Machiavellian anarchist.

I am not even going to address the inaccurate interpretation of Rand. I hold accomplishments of creation as one of life's pleasures but I do not cling to it. In the end, it's a matter of semantics and what defines desire in both contexts. Rand is neutral when it comes to desire consuming a person. She only addresses a man's long-term happiness as his prime motivator in life. I find clinging to desires as against this end.
October 26, 2011, 05:51:37 PM
Gambling addiction can be very dangerous, I hope you will not make this same mistake again.  You have worked very hard for your money, don't risk it, make every decision with a Clear Body and a Clear Mind.  

Personally I believe gambling should be illegal, especially online.  As much as some folks think personal responsibility is the only consideration there are often times when people are underage or don't understand the risks or are just plain addicted to the thrill.  

Meh, I like losing things sometimes. Declines add nice contrast. Sometimes I dream of being thrown in the street with absolutely nothing but the clothes on my back. If life is a game, it might as well be played on its hardest setting. Combating a gambling addiction would be interesting. Well, any addiction really. I have never truly had one before.

...but yes a bird in hand is worth two in bush. I will always prefer certainty. Again, I regretted this gamble immediately but it's not over yet. I might win although I'll happily accept a loss.
October 26, 2011, 05:47:43 PM
Pseudo-Buddhism. As in so many other things, he reads the words but he doesn't actually grasp the concept.

Alright, Lolie, show me the way. Show me how I am not grasping the fact that desire is pointless since all will be lost in the end. Haha. Feel free to continue viewing me through your rose-tinted glasses. When you're interested in actually getting to know me, hit me up some time.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!
October 26, 2011, 05:41:02 PM
Gambling addiction can be very dangerous, I hope you will not make this same mistake again.  You have worked very hard for your money, don't risk it, make every decision with a Clear Body and a Clear Mind.  

Personally I believe gambling should be illegal, especially online.  As much as some folks think personal responsibility is the only consideration there are often times when people are underage or don't understand the risks or are just plain addicted to the thrill.  
Red
Activity: 210
Merit: 111
October 26, 2011, 02:41:48 PM
I don't recall calling you an idiot. I'm sorry if you felt that was directed towards you.

No worries!
October 26, 2011, 02:40:10 PM
I don't recall calling you an idiot. I'm sorry if you felt that was directed towards you.
Red
October 26, 2011, 02:37:43 PM
Heh. I don't understand your point.

Really?

Doh! The government is giving student money to pay needlessly high tuition rates. THEN, we are not even asking them to pay it back. Oh, that makes perfect sense now. Certainly, just like with free mortgage money, free education money will drive up prices.

College tuitions are overpriced due to federal subsidies. When colleges will get paid regardless if a student defaults or not, you will see inflated prices like this. You guys are only playing with symptoms at this point.

How can you not see this as a restatement of my point while calling me an idiot?
Activity: 728
Merit: 252
SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE
October 26, 2011, 02:21:49 PM
Wait, do I agree with Atlas on something? Are you sure you're the real Atlas?
October 26, 2011, 02:17:30 PM
Oh but it is a tough read. It fails as a novel. It is terribly written.
October 26, 2011, 02:15:09 PM
College tuitions are overpriced due to federal subsidies. When colleges will get paid regardless if a student defaults or not, you will see inflated prices like this. You guys are only playing with symptoms at this point.

Your main problem seems to stem from your inability to realize that you can't call someone an idiot while restating their premise.

And Atlas Shrugged is not that tough a read. Download the audio version if you are lazy.

Heh. I don't understand your point.
Red
October 26, 2011, 02:13:36 PM

Your main problem seems to stem from your inability to realize that you can't call someone an idiot while restating their premise.

And Atlas Shrugged is not that tough a read. Download the audio version if you are lazy.
October 26, 2011, 02:02:17 PM
Also, want to know a secret?

I hate Atlas Shrugged. I couldn't get through half of that piece of shit.
October 26, 2011, 02:01:01 PM
Red
October 26, 2011, 01:49:02 PM
Read Atlas Shrugged as a teenager. But you know I kinda did grow up in the most capitalism-loving country on Earth that loves to censor and keep anything truly leftist from the people at all costs. I'm gonna go ahead and say I've been way more exposed to capitalist thought than Atlas has to leftist thought living in small-town Texas. Call it a hunch.

It is folly to interpret any Texan's dismissal of leftist views as a lack of understanding of them. We simply dismiss them because they are silly. Not silly in a good way like Jerry Seinfeld. But silly in the way an 8 year old rationalizes their father buying them a new skateboard.

Silly like this current events example:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/26/politics/obama-student-loans/
"These changes will make a difference for millions of Americans," Obama told a college crowd. "We should be doing everything we can to put a college education within the reach of every American."

While college costs are rising, employment prospects for new college graduates are dimming. In 2010, the unemployment rate for college graduates age 24 and younger rose to 9.4%, the highest since the Labor Department began keeping records in 1985.

Way to support the president's argument CNN! But still, I'm hugely in favor of education.

College education costs have continued to spike in recent years. The price of attending the average public university rose 5.4% for in-state students to $21,447 this fall, according to a report released Wednesday by the College Board. The cost for one year at a typical private college rose 4.3% to $42,224.

OK, the main problem is the cost of education is rising. Granted.

Could it be a supply and demand imbalance? No, how could it be possible for college student to have too much money to waste on tuition that is needlessly high. That's Inconceivable!

The way the Income-Based Repayment Plan works now is that graduates who enroll get charged 15% of their monthly discretionary income to pay off loans, with debt forgiven after 25 years.

Doh! The government is giving student money to pay needlessly high tuition rates. THEN, we are not even asking them to pay it back. Oh, that makes perfect sense now. Certainly, just like with free mortgage money, free education money will drive up prices.

So let's fix the problem!

Congress passed a law set to go into effect in 2014 that would drop the monthly payment for loans originated that year to 10% of discretionary income and would forgive all debt after 20 years.

The administration would improve on the law by fast-forwarding the new terms to take effect in 2012 on loans originated that year, White House domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes noted Tuesday.

WTF!  We are going to fix the problem of increasing education cost, by having students pay back less of their loans!!!

Why don't we just charge science and engineering majors more because they are going to be rich. But give discounts to english and history majors because they are going to be poor.

Wait! Universities are actually doing that! You've got to be fucking kidding me. Deliberately penalizing people from learning to be productive, while encouraging people to study what will keep them in poverty.

Well as long as there is a plan! Go left go!
October 26, 2011, 01:11:43 PM
Let's say I enjoy Karl Marx's writing style albeit translated. The Communist Manifesto is one of my favorite books.
What is your opinion on Marx's ideas of alienation and commodity fetishism?
His contentions regarding commodity fetishism are largely irrational. They are based on axioms of value that are mostly subjective; although he claims otherwise. He's nearly as bad as Rand when it comes to what he defines as rational.

As for alienation, you can't force people to take interest in their work. It should be up to the individual to decide whether he derives value from being a larger shareholder of the product at-large or if he just prefers to contract his work. When it comes to his contentions based on classes, I just can't relate to it. I don't see people in these artificial groups or classes. I see them as individuals with different priorities. It's a load of rubbish to me.
Activity: 24
October 26, 2011, 12:11:31 PM
Let's say I enjoy Karl Marx's writing style albeit translated. The Communist Manifesto is one of my favorite books.
What is your opinion on Marx's ideas of alienation and commodity fetishism?
Pages:
Jump to: