Pages:
Author

Topic: Tips for local transactions - page 32. (Read 712621 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
June 27, 2013, 03:31:48 PM
Also be careful of maniacs. Virtual currency attracts a lot of people like that, not so long ago a kid failed at scamming runescape gold with his fake money so he pulled out a replica BB gun and started demanding he pay over the runescape gold, in the middle of a university or library. When he left he didn't even take the real $100 bill LOL:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Runescape-Robber-Jail-Time-crime,16844.html
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
June 08, 2013, 12:57:47 PM
I received about $1200 USD worth of Bitcoins while engaged in internet commerce.  I needed some cash to pay a bulldozer operator.  I had never purchased any Bitcoins, so I did not have an online account to cash them out.  So I looked around for some options.  I found some local Bitcoin dealers on Craigslist http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites , and then noticed some of the same ones on LocalBitcoins.com https://localbitcoins.com/

I ended up emailing and then phoning a dealer who was only about two miles away from me.  He sounded knowledgeable, confident, and was not "tricky" or evasive.  We arranged to meet in a "safe location" that had security cams and free WiFi.  I first transferred my Bitcoins to an Electrum wallet on my laptop, and drove to meet him.  We met.  I booted up my laptop, I connected to the WiFi, I showed him the Electrum balance on my computer screen, he counted out the hundred dollar bills on the table (which I politely did not touch), he emailed me his Bitcoin wallet address, I transferred the Bitcoins to his wallet from my Electrum wallet while he was monitoring the block chain, the transfer was instantaneous, and I picked up the money and left.

I felt like agent 007

Exactly how I do it, but the awesome feeling of the first trade wears off.  Cheesy  Becomes routine.

Localbitcoins.com is cool, and so far, the people I've traded with are very nice.  One repeat client is actually becoming a friend of sorts, we sometimes just get together for beer and chatting without bitcoin wallets.

None of the dudes I've met are involved in drugs or any shady stuff, and I tell them all to not bother me if that's their angle.  They're just software developers, ex liberty reserve customers or what not, and almost always a bit on the geeky side.  (lol)
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
June 07, 2013, 03:04:49 PM
The iOS Blockchain app no longer supports sending / receiving Bitcoins because of Apple rules. You can only use it to look at graphs etc.

You should update the OP.

Is it because of this?

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/06/apple-files-imoney-patent-for-virtual-currency-digital-wallet-and-free-stuff/

I hope this patent won't affect the growth of bitcoin businesses involved in making bitcoin easier to use.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
June 06, 2013, 10:24:29 AM
The iOS Blockchain app no longer supports sending / receiving Bitcoins because of Apple rules. You can only use it to look at graphs etc.

You should update the OP.
Activity: 58
May 30, 2013, 05:07:41 PM
Thanks for the post.  I am holding onto just a few BTC for novelty now.  If I want to cash them out or buy more I know a few people in Atlanta to do it through.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
May 21, 2013, 06:05:20 PM
I received about $1200 USD worth of Bitcoins while engaged in internet commerce.  I needed some cash to pay a bulldozer operator.  I had never purchased any Bitcoins, so I did not have an online account to cash them out.  So I looked around for some options.  I found some local Bitcoin dealers on Craigslist http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites , and then noticed some of the same ones on LocalBitcoins.com https://localbitcoins.com/

I ended up emailing and then phoning a dealer who was only about two miles away from me.  He sounded knowledgeable, confident, and was not "tricky" or evasive.  We arranged to meet in a "safe location" that had security cams and free WiFi.  I first transferred my Bitcoins to an Electrum wallet on my laptop, and drove to meet him.  We met.  I booted up my laptop, I connected to the WiFi, I showed him the Electrum balance on my computer screen, he counted out the hundred dollar bills on the table (which I politely did not touch), he emailed me his Bitcoin wallet address, I transferred the Bitcoins to his wallet from my Electrum wallet while he was monitoring the block chain, the transfer was instantaneous, and I picked up the money and left.

I felt like agent 007
Activity: 9
May 18, 2013, 10:44:49 PM
There should be safer ways to make bulk trading Sad
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
May 17, 2013, 03:11:41 PM
Unless it's illegal to defend yourself in public and there are no armed police or security officers around.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
May 17, 2013, 09:17:39 AM
Always meet in public, don't meet at a house or anything.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
May 17, 2013, 09:13:10 AM
I've been considering doing some local trades lately. Since I'm generally a trusting person, this post gave me some tips that I didn't think of before. Thanks for the post.
Activity: 23
May 05, 2013, 11:35:42 PM
Good tips and I would just meet in a police department.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
May 04, 2013, 05:00:30 AM
thanks for compiling and writing this. good stuff
legendary
RIP Mommy
April 23, 2013, 05:02:25 AM
I don't carry money, and I'm not willing to die for anything because I was defenseless. If someone tries to kill me, I'm going to try to kill them right back.
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
April 23, 2013, 03:22:32 AM
In places where the populace hasn't been disarmed and made into slaves; bring your gun. I'm in rural Florida and I encourage all I do business with to bring their guns, too. Never had to worry about any funny business. Gun People are generally the most honest and cool you'll ever find. I take a personal check from a guy with a gun cooler than mine any time. No problems. Ever.

WiFi? Where's your cellular data?

An armed society is a polite society.

You clearly didn't grow up in a well armed urban center full of disadvantaged and angry youth like I did.  I grew up with the sound of gunshots on the street and all manner of bad things happening on various corners and I tell you this:

Guns are NOT keeping you safe.  A generous childhood with loving parents, access to good food, decent schools and opportunities in life:  these are the things that are keeping you safe wherever you are.  Guns are a red-herring and to think they are the cause of civil society is delusional - sorry.  The neighborhoods you describe are instead safe -despite- the guns.  I'm pretty sure the guy with the gun cooler would be a great guy even if you weren't armed.

Pick any nasty neighborhood on earth, and bring a gun to a BTC exchange:  result will be an increased chance of a shootout if big money is involved and someone intends to take what isn't theirs. 

Anyway, just a word of caution to ensure that people are reminded that guns escalate conflicts under many conditions and are not a fix-all solution.  Disclaimer:  I own a few guns and enjoy a firing range as much as anyone, and am ready for the end of the world.  But I wouldn't want to have one with me if I was strolling down the street and about to get robbed because someone might need to die in that case and there's no way to guarantee that it wouldn't be me with the bullet in the brain.  I'm not willing to die for a few bucks - principles be damned.  ;-)
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
www.OroCoin.co
April 09, 2013, 08:58:02 PM
In places where the populace hasn't been disarmed and made into slaves; bring your gun. I'm in rural Florida and I encourage all I do business with to bring their guns, too. Never had to worry about any funny business. Gun People are generally the most honest and cool you'll ever find. I take a personal check from a guy with a gun cooler than mine any time. No problems. Ever.

WiFi? Where's your cellular data?

An armed society is a polite society.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto
April 02, 2013, 08:27:38 PM
Permission to translate the OP and post it on another site? (Not claiming to be my original work of course.)
legendary
RIP Mommy
March 29, 2013, 04:27:46 AM
Generate paper wallet and fund it. Let them check the public address, get their item in your posession, give them the private key, let them sweep it out in front of you, then leave.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
March 29, 2013, 04:12:44 AM
Here's a report of a face-to-face transaction gone bad.

In this instance, a person selling headphones through Craigslist was contacted and a face-to-face trade (at a McDonalds) was arranged.  Except it didn't go according to the buyer's plan and the seller left with both the headphones and the bitcoins:

I just got robbed blind of bitcoins - in person. I'm feeling like I've lost trust in the usability of the currency and looking for advice.
 - http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b89wm
Activity: 13
March 25, 2013, 05:37:47 PM
I'd highly recommend an openly-carried Glock 19 or similar -- if legal in your area, of course Smiley (Thankfully, it is here)
Pages:
Jump to: