Pages:
Author

Topic: Tithing - page 3. (Read 3424 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
November 11, 2013, 08:52:07 PM
And of course you are allowed to think it's wrong, even if you don't see it's only because of your association.  You are "too close", so to say.

I am curious as to why you call islam a cult, but not your own christianity.

What do you think the definition of "cult" is?    According to the dictionary, which most people get their definitions from, any group of people that worship the same thing is a cult.

Further, if you got to Europe, you can see how Islam has turned many cities into disaster areas.

In England and Norway, there are many areas considered "no go zones" for non Muslims. Unlike going down a street in a nice neighborhood in the US or Canada, going in will not only elicit dirty looks, but will likely get you beat up or killed. Even the police will not go into certain areas for fear of violence.

Islam is a cult because of it tenets

In Islam, you can be killed for apostasy (leaving Islam).
In Islam, you cannot say anything derogatory about Muhammed, or you will be killed.
Preaching another religion in a Muslim country will get you imprisoned and or killed.

In Islam disciplinary action includes beating, maiming, stoning, beheading or jail. Excommunication is for minor offenses.
Those who leave Islam must live in constant threat of being discovered and killed.

Based on the above, Islam is a cult. It is the biggest and the most successful cult. It practically reunites every feature of cult. Other cults may not be cultic in some of the above points. But Islam is cultic in every way and it would be a gross mistake to number it among religions just because 1.2 billion benighted people call themselves Muslims.
http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/sina50218.htm

Hmm I wonder what this reminds me of. Was there some rather popular religion similiar couple hundreds years ago?
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
November 11, 2013, 08:49:26 PM
Based on the above, Islam is a cult. It is the biggest and the most successful cult. It practically reunites every feature of cult. Other cults may not be cultic in some of the above points. But Islam is cultic in every way and it would be a gross mistake to number it among religions just because 1.2 billion benighted people call themselves Muslims.

You're making up your own definition of "cult".  You may disagree with what they do in their religion, but that alone doesn't make it a cult.  Again, look up the meaning of the word.

According to Wikipedia, christianity is the largest cult out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups#Largest_religions
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Fourth richest fictional character
November 11, 2013, 08:41:57 PM
And of course you are allowed to think it's wrong, even if you don't see it's only because of your association.  You are "too close", so to say.

What do you think the definition of "cult" is?    According to the dictionary, which most people get their definitions from, any group of people that worship the same thing is a cult.

Further, if you got to Europe, you can see how Islam has turned many cities into disaster areas.

In England and Norway, there are many areas considered "no go zones" for non Muslims. Unlike going down a street in a nice neighborhood in the US or Canada, going in will not only elicit dirty looks, but will likely get you beat up or killed. Even the police will not go into certain areas for fear of violence.

Islam is a cult because of it tenets

In Islam, you cannot say anything derogatory about Muhammed, or you will be killed.
Preaching another religion in a Muslim country will get you imprisoned and or killed.

In Islam disciplinary action includes beating, maiming, stoning, beheading or jail. Excommunication is for minor offenses.
Those who leave Islam must live in constant threat of being discovered and killed.

Vod
legendary
November 11, 2013, 08:28:26 PM
[Interesting point, except I think it is wrong.

The three major religions are Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

Each of them recognizes "fundamentals," including Jesus Christ. The interpretation of course differs among them.

But, obviously, Abraham, the Old Testament, are an underlying recurrence.

And of course you are allowed to think it's wrong, even if you don't see it's only because of your association.  You are "too close", so to say.

What do you think the definition of "cult" is?    According to the dictionary, which most people get their definitions from, any group of people that worship the same thing is a cult.
November 11, 2013, 08:25:13 PM

I certainly didn't mean you MUST be born a christian if you live in America.  Thanks for assuming though.

Atheists have existed in America for generations already - it's certainly possible you were born to one of them.

I meant that if born in the US, you are much more likely to be a christian than a buddhist.   No god has international influence like you think an all powerful god would.

Interesting point, except I think it is wrong.

The three major religions are Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

Each of them recognizes "fundamentals," including Jesus Christ. The interpretation of course differs among them.

But, obviously, Abraham, the Old Testament, are an underlying recurrence.

Quote from: Vod
Christianity is just as much of a cult as Islam is.  You just don't think so because you are in it.

Wrong. Look up definition of a cult. Hint: It's not just a trendy word.

Islam is a cult because of it tenets.

http://www.articlesbase.com/news-and-society-articles/islam-is-not-a-religion-islam-is-a-cult-877139.html
Read and learn.
Vod
legendary
November 11, 2013, 08:21:46 PM
Wrong. I was not born a Christian. Thanks for assuming though.

I certainly didn't mean you MUST be born a christian if you live in America.  Thanks for assuming though.

Atheists have existed in America for generations already - it's certainly possible you were born to one of them.

I meant that if born in the US, you are much more likely to be a christian than a buddhist.   No god has international influence like you think an all powerful god would.

If you want to talk about cults, talk about Islam. THAT is a real cult.

Christianity is just as much of a cult as Islam is.  You just don't think so because you are in it.
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
November 11, 2013, 08:18:17 PM
Unfortunately some of the groups are run by corrupt, selfish, and criminal idiots (see Warren Jeffs), but they are usually in the minority.

Are you claiming that every one of your sect leaders are just, honorable and honest?  If so, how are all the young boys being molested?

The only reason you are a christian is because of where in the world you were born.  Had you been born in India, for example, you wouldn't be a christian.  Don't knock one cult unless you are willing to knock them all, because that makes you a hypocrite.

If you read the sentence, it says "Unfortunately some of the groups are run by corrupt, selfish, and criminal idiots."

In fact, I was raised to hate Christianity, and some of my early experiences with "Christians" were negative.
Over time though, I figured out there were many hypocrites who called themselves Christians, but really weren't. In fact, many Christians I know are not ones who boast "I am a Christian!" but exhibit the values nonetheless.

And many people all over the world come to Christianity through learning about it. It is not a static religion where one is simply born into it.

These days I am very critical of the Pastor Rick Warren (what a scam) and any Christian church who is aligning themselves with Islam, saying the Jesus in Islam is the same Jesus in Christianity, which it's not. But that's another story.

I agree with you. So one can never say "this is the ultimate and only practice". As the early followers of Jesus had practiced faith is not an institution but rather a family of hundreds of fathers and mothers. And also its not a sunday only thing but a shared life together. Looking back the contrast in the book of Acts and today's "christianity" is a bit off i guess.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
November 11, 2013, 08:17:32 PM
No, cause I'm no member of the church.

But here in Germany we even have a Church Tax. So if you are in the church you automatically pay a ~3,5% Tax to the church every month: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchensteuer_%28Deutschland%29

Maybe that's why we have so many Unchurched here  Wink

But Akka, don't you see, the church can only be funded through taxation.

What?  Donations?!  Impossible...

Year, but we are Germans. We have to pay for our forgiveness you know.  Tongue
November 11, 2013, 08:13:12 PM
Unfortunately some of the groups are run by corrupt, selfish, and criminal idiots (see Warren Jeffs), but they are usually in the minority.

Are you claiming that every one of your sect leaders are just, honorable and honest?  If so, how are all the young boys being molested?

The only reason you are a christian is because of where in the world you were born.  Had you been born in India, for example, you wouldn't be a christian.  Don't knock one cult unless you are willing to knock them all, because that makes you a hypocrite.

If you read the sentence, it says "Unfortunately some of the groups are run by corrupt, selfish, and criminal idiots."

In fact, I was raised to hate Christianity, and some of my early experiences with "Christians" were negative.
Over time though, I figured out there were many hypocrites who called themselves Christians, but really weren't. In fact, many Christians I know are not ones who boast "I am a Christian!" but exhibit the values nonetheless. Christianity is about values, not titles.

And many people all over the world come to Christianity through learning about it. It is not a static religion where one is simply born into it.

These days I am very critical of the Pastor Rick Warren (what a scam) and any Christian church who is aligning themselves with Islam, saying the Jesus in Islam is the same Jesus in Christianity, which it's not. But that's another story.

If you want to talk about cults, talk about Islam. THAT is a real cult.
Vod
legendary
November 11, 2013, 08:03:55 PM

Depends where in India. In the west (formerly Portugese colonies) or in the east (from Welsh missionaries or other European settlers) Christianity is a very popular religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_India#State_Populations

Thanks for the clarification malevoent.  I didn't research which part of the world is home to each religion, I just thought India would be a safe bet.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
November 11, 2013, 07:54:01 PM

But here in Germany we even have a Church Tax. So if you are in the church you automatically pay a ~3,5% Tax to the church every month: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchensteuer_%28Deutschland%29

But Akka, don't you see, the church can only be funded through taxation.

What?  Donations?!  Impossible...
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
November 11, 2013, 07:52:48 PM

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
November 11, 2013, 07:48:41 PM

Depends where in India. In the west (formerly Portugese colonies) or in the east (from Welsh missionaries or other European settlers) Christianity is a very popular religion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_India#State_Populations
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
November 11, 2013, 07:47:32 PM
If  you are a Jew, your tithe is not only 10% but you get 30% because it's 3 kinds of tithes. Plus another 10% for the tax. BUT the tithe is used to help people and the tax helps them defend their little parcel of land against invasion.

So to think that tithing is only 10% means that it doesn't follow the Hebraic roots/law. But a simple form of taxation. Being said all that, giving is something to be done by heart (given cheerfully) not just being obliged. And oh its not only giving in the institutional churches but it means giving to people in dire need.

So have you donated to the Philippines?
Vod
legendary
November 11, 2013, 07:41:52 PM

November 11, 2013, 06:53:06 PM

I'm not surprised they would do that, but what a crock of shit

I admire the way LDS folk take care of one another, but in order to be part of the "care circle" you have to join their club and pay the dues (and not be black).  No thank you...  Similar to the Amish, you'll be taken care of, but you have to play by their rules and listen to the elders.   

Amish are very admirable. Although the show Amish Mafia really tries to show another side of it, LOL.

Activity: 137
November 11, 2013, 04:07:37 PM
I know the Mormon (LDS) church is very strict about collecting 10% tithe from its members.

A Mormon friend of mine said his pastor actually demands to see paychecks to make sure they are getting their cut!

But, Mormons really do put their tithing to good use from what I see. If there is ever World War III, they will be ready Smiley

I'm not surprised they would do that, but what a crock of shit

I admire the way LDS folk take care of one another, but in order to be part of the "care circle" you have to join their club and pay the dues (and not be black).  No thank you...  Similar to the Amish, you'll be taken care of, but you have to play by their rules and listen to the elders.   

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 11, 2013, 03:26:26 PM
unless you guys want satan to give you anal sex in hell, you better pay money to your local church so they can buy nice things with it. they are god's messengers after all.

the lord shall bless his children with abundance.. and it only requires 10% per month.

btw, i would totally pretend to be a mormon during the end times... but it probably won't work since everyone will do it, in which case the church would probably grow to become even more powerful.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
We are the champions of the night
November 11, 2013, 04:51:26 AM
so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
I think the meaning of that is that you can't take your possessions with you when you die.

But let's be real, no church should mandate you to pay.  As shouldn't the government.

Church people are gullible.  The church knows they can blindly ask for money and get it.

The government is different.  IF you pay taxes (which I doubt you ever have), you're not giving it blindly.  You know it goes to such things as roads, social services and defense.
Don't forget the slaughtering of our neighbors for oil!  And an oppressive drug war that challenges your freedom to think and kills tens of thousands yearly.

That's a big part of it.  The thing is, we could build roads without a government.  But we couldn't have several indefinite (preemptive) wars going on in the absence of government.
Holy crap... Dank is making sense for once
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
November 10, 2013, 09:03:52 PM
so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
I think the meaning of that is that you can't take your possessions with you when you die.

But let's be real, no church should mandate you to pay.  As shouldn't the government.

Church people are gullible.  The church knows they can blindly ask for money and get it.

The government is different.  IF you pay taxes (which I doubt you ever have), you're not giving it blindly.  You know it goes to such things as roads, social services and defense.
Don't forget the slaughtering of our neighbors for oil!  And an oppressive drug war that challenges your freedom to think and kills tens of thousands yearly.

That's a big part of it.  The thing is, we could build roads without a government.  But we couldn't have several indefinite (preemptive) wars going on in the absence of government.
Pages:
Jump to: