Pages:
Author

Topic: Tithing - page 4. (Read 3424 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1049
Death to enemies!
November 10, 2013, 08:48:26 PM
Never heard about such thing at tithing. I'm disappointed that it is not related to tits Sad
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
November 10, 2013, 08:43:15 PM
so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
I think the meaning of that is that you can't take your possessions with you when you die.

But let's be real, no church should mandate you to pay.  As shouldn't the government.

Church people are gullible.  The church knows they can blindly ask for money and get it.

The government is different.  IF you pay taxes (which I doubt you ever have), you're not giving it blindly.  You know it goes to such things as roads, social services and defense.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
November 10, 2013, 08:35:54 PM
so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
I think the meaning of that is that you can't take your possessions with you when you die.

But let's be real, no church should mandate you to pay.  As shouldn't the government.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 10, 2013, 04:52:13 PM
there are so many people in this world, and each person is a unique individual. with that said, i really don't understand how people can put their full faith in an institution that is designed to sap all of your worth from you. sometimes i feel like i live in a different dimension from what seems like half of the world.

i wasn't even raised with any particular religion, but even as a child i felt the guilt and fear of being non-believer who would be cast to hell by jesus and his dad. so then i went to a church and listened to them preach about how i am the lamb of god, and any of my possessions are to be remitted to the true owner.. what the fuck? i think that was the point where i absolutely knew that i'd never be a christian.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
November 10, 2013, 04:45:36 PM
In my opinion they should be teaching simple economics, savings, paying off bills or putting money away for your children's college. 

How would this help the church?

Churches aren't there to help you, they are there for you to help.

Oh they might do good sometimes, to keep you in... And they use the people for that...
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
November 10, 2013, 04:37:43 PM
In my opinion they should be teaching simple economics, savings, paying off bills or putting money away for your children's college. 

How would this help the church?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Fourth richest fictional character
November 10, 2013, 04:33:15 PM
I know the Mormon (LDS) church is very strict about collecting 10% tithe from its members.

A Mormon friend of mine said his pastor actually demands to see paychecks to make sure they are getting their cut!

But, Mormons really do put their tithing to good use from what I see. If there is ever World War III, they will be ready Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
November 10, 2013, 08:14:10 AM
No in fact, I respect the country Finland for actually having the balls to place a tax on the church considering the amount of money they get tax free, if there god is all powerful, then why is it that he can't make his own money? I always think twice and look up any sort of charity now before I consider supporting them in anything because you always find the big ones at least are always skimming money off the top and taking a percentage to pay for 'Administration'.

The majority of them are just trying to guilt trip you into giving them money and then they don't even help the people that they claim to be, you can think badly of me for saying this if you like, but the world would be suffering a lot less if these organisations were actually helping people like they said they would. There's also a problem where a lot of these schemes will only temporarily fix whatever is wrong in the part of the world they're helping rather than providing a more long term solution.
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
November 10, 2013, 02:38:21 AM

Do any of you religious folk practice tithing every month and if so why or why not? 

In the past few days I found out that a friend of mine gives 10% a month to his very wealthy church.  Yet, the dumb ass is massively in debt, spends 100% of his check (tithing included) and refuses to stop giving his hard earned money to his church.  ($500+ a month)

I sit here shaking my head but it's his money and it's his choice, but I do call him a fool.  While preaching against gluttony, the church sure does accept your money with open hands.  In my opinion they should be teaching simple economics, savings, paying off bills or putting money away for your children's college. 
Pages:
Jump to: