Pages:
Author

Topic: [TOP-200] The most generous users giving merits - page 8. (Read 38403 times)

legendary
Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
Maybe you should provide a link to your merit source application here in this thread so we can see it.. especially since you mentioned it...... 
Hi JayJuanGee, here is the link you asked about: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/skarais-merit-source-aplication-5375554

As I already said, the application is over 3 months old since I created it in meta. I have received some support both from merit source, local users and also several other members. That's fine for me and the application, but still not getting any response from the admin. Hope it works out within this year.

Looks really good... it's like a model of a good submission.. so not a bad idea to have it out there, and like I already mentioned, it seems that theymos is not on any precise schedule to make updates to merit sources, but you never know if he might end up making some adjustments at some point.  I am going to browse through your thread later.. I have put it in my "get to it later" list of tabs to look through.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 2094
Maybe you should provide a link to your merit source application here in this thread so we can see it.. especially since you mentioned it...... 
Hi JayJuanGee, here is the link you asked about: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/skarais-merit-source-aplication-5375554

As I already said, the application is over 3 months old since I created it in meta. I have received some support both from merit source, local users and also several other members. That's fine for me and the application, but still not getting any response from the admin. Hope it works out within this year.
legendary
I think some merit sources have just completely dropped out, i.e., they didn't want to be sources anymore--but who knows?  I don't think Theymos has ever made any proclamations in which he's given his reasons for removing merits sources.  He even keeps them anonymous as we all know, so there's no telling why he's removed some of them (though I think you're correct about a few of them just not distributing enough merits).  I know one or two have been nuked for merit abuse, but the last one I remember was a couple of years ago and I can't even remember his name.
Maybe we need some regeneration, I mean some additional new merit source for anyone interested but there are definitely qualifications to consider. I'm still waiting for the results since I submitted the application, but it's probably very unlikely to be accepted.

So far it's hard for me to distribute more than 20 merit/month as non-resource user because it really depends on how many merit I get in a month. I appreciate any help people who support me in the application or those who appreciate my posts. At least it helps me to still be able to distribute the merit to posts that deserve it.

Maybe you should provide a link to your merit source application here in this thread so we can see it.. especially since you mentioned it......   Many people (including yours truly) do not like to search around for the post about which you had referred.. so more convenient to actually provide a link whenever referring to another post or thread unless it is obvious to everyone how to get there quickly and without too much effort.

It does seem that theymos is fairly infrequent in his making a lot of changes to the merit sources, yet sometimes it might be difficult to know what is going on behind the scenes.. and even if he starts to make a few changes, he might even throw you into the mix of whatever changes he happens to be making..
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 2094
I think some merit sources have just completely dropped out, i.e., they didn't want to be sources anymore--but who knows?  I don't think Theymos has ever made any proclamations in which he's given his reasons for removing merits sources.  He even keeps them anonymous as we all know, so there's no telling why he's removed some of them (though I think you're correct about a few of them just not distributing enough merits).  I know one or two have been nuked for merit abuse, but the last one I remember was a couple of years ago and I can't even remember his name.
Maybe we need some regeneration, I mean some additional new merit source for anyone interested but there are definitely qualifications to consider. I'm still waiting for the results since I submitted the application, but it's probably very unlikely to be accepted.

So far it's hard for me to distribute more than 20 merit/month as non-resource user because it really depends on how many merit I get in a month. I appreciate any help people who support me in the application or those who appreciate my posts. At least it helps me to still be able to distribute the merit to posts that deserve it.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
It's not a big thing though, anyone can give or receive merit in any quantity, and actually, it's hard to find a merit abuser because we are not in the position of the merit sender, and if he/she finds a post deserving merit, that's only his own discretion.
Well....sometimes it's hard to tell there's merit abuse going on, but I've seen some pretty blatant examples since the whole system got started.  The issue isn't (and has never been) whether it can be detected or not, but rather if anything should be done about it by DT members.  And in the past couple of years, most DT members have taken a hands-off approach toward merit abuse cases, which mirrors Theymos's attitude.  Personally I don't have much of a problem with that, since there's too much reasonable doubt (as you've pointed out) and it's way too much of a pain in the ass sniffing these idiots out when compared to how much good it does tagging merit abusers.

Back on topic, I'm relieved to see I'm still in the top 20 at least.  I thought I'd slacked last month more than the numbers show, because it seemed like there weren't a lot of members taking me up on my offer of a monthly post review (which I'll once again offer to anyone under Legendary with <1000 merits who's reading this).  Just send me a PM asking for a review and I'll be happy to oblige.

With the passage of time, it seems that theymos has removed those members from serving as merit sources who seem to have difficulties sending smerits..
I think some merit sources have just completely dropped out, i.e., they didn't want to be sources anymore--but who knows?  I don't think Theymos has ever made any proclamations in which he's given his reasons for removing merits sources.  He even keeps them anonymous as we all know, so there's no telling why he's removed some of them (though I think you're correct about a few of them just not distributing enough merits).  I know one or two have been nuked for merit abuse, but the last one I remember was a couple of years ago and I can't even remember his name.
Activity: 896
Merit: 584
BTC, a coin of today and tomorrow.
But if I want to top the generosity chart, I will hold the 500 smerits and send all in the next month which I might likely be receiving small number of merit.
For what, this thread is to identify the merit source although some other users may still be on the list as well. If you want to be on that list, send more merit than you receive.
There is no way I can send more merit than I receive because it is from the merits I recieve that I will have smerits to spend. The only way I can be in that list is to hoard. See how it will work, if I recieve 50merits this month, I will hoard the 25 smerits, then next month I will recieve 10 merits, I will add the 5 smerits to the previous 25 smerits making it 30 smerits. So I will then spend the 30 smerits when I only recied 10 merits for the month.
But it is not necessarily, I cannot do it and I don't think anyone would consider to do it. Grin
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125
-snip-
JayJuanGee , thanks for trying to explain it to me.

I get it now. This means that if I happen to receive 1000merits this month and then send out 500 smerits, my generosity will still be = 1.
Not, check the formula again and understand it correctly. Supposedly if you receive 1000 merit and send 500 merit in a month then the sum of your generosity is 0. Math is cheap, sometimes a little confusing.  Wink

But if I want to top the generosity chart, I will hold the 500 smerits and send all in the next month which I might likely be receiving small number of merit.
For what, this thread is to identify the merit source although some other users may still be on the list as well. If you want to be on that list, send more merit than you receive.
Activity: 896
Merit: 584
BTC, a coin of today and tomorrow.
How is this calculated?
Pay attention to this formula. If you understand this formula then you will know how generous you are to get into the top 200 list in this thread.

Code:
GENEROSITY = SENT_MERITS - ceil(RECEIVED_MERITS / 2)

I tried to explain it for you. In January you have earned 82 merit and send 42 merit. So the GENEROSITY you have based on the formula above is.

Code:
GENEROSITY = 42 - (82 / 2)
42 - 41 = 1
GENEROSITY= 1

So, for January you are not included in the top 200 because there are more users who have 3 GENEROSITY. And now you can do it yourself to find out how generous you were in February based on the same formula. Good luck.
I get it now. This means that if I happen to receive 1000merits this month and then send out 500 smerits, my generosity will still be = 1. But if I want to top the generosity chart, I will hold the 500 smerits and send all in the next month which I might likely be receiving small number of merit.

That's an interesting way of framing the matter, Falconer...   In other words, this whole thread was not really created in order to figure out "how generous" a member might be, but instead to attempt to identify merit source members and to attempt to decipher if they are generous within their allocated source amounts - to the extent that needed to be inferred rather than known directly.
This is exactly my thought. This thread does not determine how generous one is. If I recieve 100 merits and send out 50merits, I should be one of the most generous users because generosity should be measured with what I have. I cannot be generous with what I don't have.
I can say that this thread is to know the most generous merit sources or to know users that hoard smerits to send in bulk later months.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
Merit senders can also make mistakes at times and people forget that. I remember I received 11 merits from someone. I think it was last year. The user probably wanted to send 1 and didn't notice that he made a mistake. Things like that can happen and if the rules were strict, someone could have asked hey, why did someone give 11 merits to this guy's post for something that barely deserves 1?

That's right! That's what I meant with my previous post.
There can be several reasons for someone to give 10 merits, for example, to a newbie, without necessarily being an alt account or buying merits.

So someone who gives negative or neutral trust, because of the attribution of merits, must have minimally convincing evidence that something strange is going on. And not for simply being given too many merits to a novice.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
On the other hand, it is also not normal to give 10 merits to a newbie, when you only give 2 to a user who has been here for many years. Hence, although there are no rules for how you use the merits you have, there must always be good criteria in their use.
Merit senders can also make mistakes at times and people forget that. I remember I received 11 merits from someone. I think it was last year. The user probably wanted to send 1 and didn't notice that he made a mistake. Things like that can happen and if the rules were strict, someone could have asked hey, why did someone give 11 merits to this guy's post for something that barely deserves 1?

Sorry to ask but I did not read about that, so can you direct me to the forum rules as your basis that say it's against?
There are no such rules because a quality post is a subjective thing. A 3rd party can't determine how much I liked a certain post and whether or not I should give it 1, 2 or 5 merits. Or 50 if I want to. What's worth 1 to you can be worth 10 to me or vice versa.

Merit sources aren't allowed to sell their merits. That's it. That's what theymos said. He also said tagging anyone for sending merits can cause that person to be dropped from the DT list. He obviously doesn't want the merit transactions to be put under the microscope and wants them to circle around.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!
My habit is only give 1-2 merit per user. Sometime i find a post which deserve 5+ merit but problem with me is that i have no much Smerit. If i give all to one user other will be deprived.
I saw some high rank member Like Loycevc,
 giving 40 merit on one post.
Giving 10 merit in single post to new member is against the rule? because i checked some member receive negative trust because of this case
There's nothing wrong if you want to give someone 10 merit 40 merit or even 50 merit (maximum per month) on a single post, but it's encouraged to spread out your sMerit to many users. You and other, including me shouldn't feel deprived if someone got a lot merits since it's depend on the quality of your post.

Your merit, your rules. It's not a big thing though, anyone can give or receive merit in any quantity, and actually, it's hard to find a merit abuser because we are not in the position of the merit sender, and if he/she finds a post deserving merit, that's only his own discretion.

Well it's case by case, merit abuse is against rule

Sorry to ask but I did not read about that, so can you direct me to the forum rules as your basis that say it's against?
legendary
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
Giving 10 merit in single post to new member is against the rule? because i checked some member receive negative trust because of this case
No, there is no such rule. You are free to do with your merits what you like. But take into consideration that there are two things on this forum that can affect you: The forum rules and the opinions of DT Members. It's not against the rules to give a newbie 10 merits. But a DT member might give you a negative or neutral tag if it's obvious that the post you merited doesn't deserve it, the user is a possible alt-account of yours, or if they believe the merits were sold.

But this analysis also cannot be based solely on supposition.
For a DT Members to assess whether attribution of merits is the result of attribution to an ALT or due to the purchase, there must be some indication in this regard. Of course, this is often difficult or impossible to discover in a short space of time, so you have to be cautious.

On the other hand, it is also not normal to give 10 merits to a newbie, when you only give 2 to a user who has been here for many years. Hence, although there are no rules for how you use the merits you have, there must always be good criteria in their use.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
I had frequently considered that theymos might have considered a kind of rotation of merit sources, but that might end up overly complicating matters more than warranted in order to overcome any deficiencies that he might perceive to exist within the whole merit system as it has evolved, perhaps?
Yeah, I don't think he would do that. I think he just looks at the overall number of shared merits before deciding whether or not to assign new merit sources. If they go below or stay below a certain threshold he has set in his head, he probably brings in some fresh blood. Those who already are merit sources are given a chance to improve their allocation. I see no point in taking it away from them. It's not like it hurts the forum or the system if they remain sources of merits unless we are talking about some type of abuse.   

No, there is no such rule. You are free to do with your merits what you like. But take into consideration that there are two things on this forum that can affect you: The forum rules and the opinions of DT Members. It's not against the rules to give a newbie 10 merits. But a DT member might give you a negative or neutral tag if it's obvious that the post you merited doesn't deserve it, the user is a possible alt-account of yours, or if they believe the merits were sold.
legendary
Merit: 1156
My habit is only give 1-2 merit per user. Sometime i find a post which deserve 5+ merit but problem with me is that i have no much Smerit. If i give all to one user other will be deprived.
There's nothing wrong if you want to give someone 10 merit 40 merit or even 50 merit (maximum per month) on a single post, but it's encouraged to spread out your sMerit to many users. You and other, including me shouldn't feel deprived if someone got a lot merits since it's depend on the quality of your post.

Well it's case by case, merit abuse is against rule but giving 10 merit or higher isn't against rule.
Activity: 826
Merit: 135
Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1150
~Snip
Yes, it's all habit but it's not a obligation we or you should make especially just because you've earned the responsibility of being a source of merit. Merit sources have to work according to their own interpretation of judging a post and so do us non-sources, their habit of distributing merit reflects that they too have certain quality standards that they like.

As a non-source user, I have a habit of submitting 1-2 merit per post but it will only decrease if I don't have enough talent. It seems fair to me to post merit to posts of interest when I find them, as I rarely check posts specifically to submit merit. JayJuanGee, You are one of the generous sources of the day, we have you on this forum.
legendary
That's an interesting way of framing the matter, Falconer...   In other words, this whole thread was not really created in order to figure out "how generous" a member might be, but instead to attempt to identify merit source members and to attempt to decipher if they are generous within their allocated source amounts - to the extent that needed to be inferred rather than known directly
I think that's right, identifying the merit source is the goal of this thread its not just about generosity.

sometimes it is not an easy task. .and sometimes I am even bit in the butt with my tending NOT to send too many smerits per post.. I used to be only within 1-3 smerits per post then I moved up to 1-5 but still rarely go beyond 3 smerits in a post.   It might be my own handicap that I need to overcome.
For a merit source like you, I don't think 2-5 merit per post is a problem especially when you find quality posts from low ranked users or users who still need merit to rank up. Of course sometimes not an easy task especially if the merit source is inactive on many different boards, it will only save their resource amount to spend especially if 1-3 merit per post is a habit.

I agree if you want to change your merit distribution habit to be bigger, as I said 2-5 merits per post seems quite helpful for users who need merit to rank up.

Fair enough..sometimes if I come across a member with whom I am not already familiar, I might look at some of the post history and to figure out if I might want to give more merits to a particular post based on the members post history (and concluding that such member has historically not been receiving very many merits in spite of making ongoing good contributions), so sometimes, after I have already looked at the various posts, I might decide to send individual smerits to several of the posts that I had seen or like you said to send more smerits to the post that had drawn my attention to such member.... so yeah, sometimes I will account for that, and I might just make a kind of mental note to pay attention to such member if I see more posts from that same member in the future... part of the problem is that there are ONLY so many hours in the day, and I also like to keep up with my own watching of threads and my own creation of posts (and even real life obligations that I have.. believe it or not.).

So sometimes, i will just ONLY make a mental note to watch out for the posts of a member who has made a good impression upon me in the future... and of course, such mental note could end up getting lost in my own memory.. there is ONLY so much time to keep any kinds of lists... which I used to keep lists of members that I wanted to give merits in the future.. but.. I stopped doing that because it was feeling a bit too strange for me to continue with that...    but sometimes I will keep a tab of a member or a thread in order to review at a later date.. but my purpose is not really to UP the amount of my sending of smerits but instead to attempt to review some posts that I noticed by a member or a topic that is potentially of interest to me . .but yeah, there is ONLY so much room in the brain to keep any members in mind..   and I still tend to be reluctant to send more smerits for what I consider to be mediocre posts merely based on a members possible "need to rank up" so many times if I have made a mental note of a member, I might not even think about such member until coming across a post from such member.. and then decide at that point how many smerits to send.. if anything of seeming possible quality ends up coming out.

So there can be some coincidence and happenstance in the way that any of us might decide to send out smerits whether we are merit sources or not.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1150
That's an interesting way of framing the matter, Falconer...   In other words, this whole thread was not really created in order to figure out "how generous" a member might be, but instead to attempt to identify merit source members and to attempt to decipher if they are generous within their allocated source amounts - to the extent that needed to be inferred rather than known directly
I think that's right, identifying the merit source is the goal of this thread its not just about generosity.

sometimes it is not an easy task. .and sometimes I am even bit in the butt with my tending NOT to send too many smerits per post.. I used to be only within 1-3 smerits per post then I moved up to 1-5 but still rarely go beyond 3 smerits in a post.   It might be my own handicap that I need to overcome.
For a merit source like you, I don't think 2-5 merit per post is a problem especially when you find quality posts from low ranked users or users who still need merit to rank up. Of course sometimes not an easy task especially if the merit source is inactive on many different boards, it will only save their resource amount to spend especially if 1-3 merit per post is a habit.

I agree if you want to change your merit distribution habit to be bigger, as I said 2-5 merits per post seems quite helpful for users who need merit to rank up.
legendary
How is this calculated?
Pay attention to this formula. If you understand this formula then you will know how generous you are to get into the top 200 list in this thread.

Code:

I tried to explain it for you. In January you have earned 82 merit and send 42 merit. So the GENEROSITY you have based on the formula above is.

Code:
42 - 41 = 1
GENEROSITY= 1

So, for January you are not included in the top 200 because there are more users who have 3 GENEROSITY. And now you can do it yourself to find out how generous you were in February based on the same formula. Good luck.

The more smerit you send in a month compared to the merit you earn, the better your chances of making it to the top 200 list. This means that if you have been designated a merit source, we are more likely to find out from this table.

That's an interesting way of framing the matter, Falconer...   In other words, this whole thread was not really created in order to figure out "how generous" a member might be, but instead to attempt to identify merit source members and to attempt to decipher if they are generous within their allocated source amounts - to the extent that needed to be inferred rather than known directly.

Some of us might not even be very generous, literally speaking, but if we are spending more smerits than we earn - on a regular basis, we are going to show up on the monthly results in this thread.. and surely, in the early days, there were some members who had been designated as merit sources and really did not appreciate sending out merits to other members, and some of them even stated that they either had really high standards or some kind of opposition to sending out smerits.. and not even saying that those members were bad people, they may just have not fit very well into the performance of sending out smerits.... .sometimes it is not an easy task. .and sometimes I am even bit in the butt with my tending NOT to send too many smerits per post.. I used to be only within 1-3 smerits per post then I moved up to 1-5 but still rarely go beyond 3 smerits in a post.   It might be my own handicap that I need to overcome.. ..

With the passage of time, it seems that theymos has removed those members from serving as merit sources who seem to have difficulties sending smerits.. and I surely there are some various ways that source members have evolved over time in the way that they send out smerits, and even if theymos has not been too frequent in his adjustments, there still seems to be some kind of use it or lose it philosophy that underlies the continuance of merit source duties... ... I had frequently considered that theymos might have considered a kind of rotation of merit sources, but that might end up overly complicating matters more than warranted in order to overcome any deficiencies that he might perceive to exist within the whole merit system as it has evolved, perhaps? ... are we just living within an extended April fools joke?  hahahahaaha
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125
How is this calculated?

Code:

Code:
42 - 41 = 1
GENEROSITY= 1

The more smerit you send in a month compared to the merit you earn, the better your chances of making it to the top 200 list. This means that if you have been designated a merit source, we are more likely to find out from this table.
Pages:
Jump to: