Pages:
Author

Topic: Transactions speed prevent us from going to Mainstream ? - page 5. (Read 3980 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
No it doesn't. And if it does - it is a good thing.

Because we don't want bitcoin to go mainstream until everyone's grandmothers can easily store their bitcoins.... the current solutions are either unsafe or way too nerdy for mass-adoption.

If we have mass adoption before it is safe - he will have so many horror stories of hacking etc that bitcoin will get a horrible name, and might die as a result.
Activity: 392
Merit: 259
Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ
The average confirmation time is 10 minutes.
For low value transactions (like a cup of coffee), you could take a risk and go ahead with unconfirmed transactions. It is highly unlikely they will be double spent. For high value transactions, you can wait for 6 confirmations (or almost an hour)

In a great majority of retail situations, shoplifting, bad checks, dine-and-dash are all orders of magnitude worse than Bitcoin double spending, even if Bitcoin is used equally frequently. Aside from instant payment processors, double spends can be mitigated by simply banning specific humans from the premises of a physical store.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
The average confirmation time is 10 minutes.
For low value transactions (like a cup of coffee), you could take a risk and go ahead with unconfirmed transactions. It is highly unlikely they will be double spent. For high value transactions, you can wait for 6 confirmations (or almost an hour)
M83
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
Transactions are instant and I don't think waiting 10-20 minutes for a confirmation matters. Why would it? Do you wait months for your burger at mcdonalds when you use a credit card? No. Besides, a payment processor like bitpay would cover any potential problems.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
Could this be the reason , It's like 15-20mn to get at least 1 confirmation if I'am correct ?
Anyway the point is that we need some time to get transactions verified , could this actually prevent us from going to mainstream ?  I mean if you want to buy something from McDonald are you supposed to wait 15mn while that's the time of your launch break ?

When you are buying parking tickets are you also supposed to wait few minuts ?  Huh It wouldn't make any sense .

Honestly , I'am not even sure what controls the speed of the transactions .
The transaction confirmation times are determined by the mining difficulty. But it is actually random, with the average block time and thus confirmation time supposed to be 10 minutes.

It might be the reason, but probably not. I think part of it is the fact that once confirmed in a few minutes, the transaction is non reversible, unlike credit card systems which can be reversible up to 180 days. By this logic, are you supposed to wait 180 days before your transaction becomes nonreversible so that you can actually buy something? No!
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
Could this be the reason , It's like 15-20mn to get at least 1 confirmation if I'am correct ?
Anyway the point is that we need some time to get transactions verified , could this actually prevent us from going to mainstream ?  I mean if you want to buy something from McDonald are you supposed to wait 15mn while that's the time of your launch break ?

When you are buying parking tickets are you also supposed to wait few minuts ?  Huh It wouldn't make any sense .

Honestly , I'am not even sure what controls the speed of the transactions .
Pages:
Jump to: