Pages:
Author

Topic: True or false: Ethereum is a bubble, bitcoin is not - page 2. (Read 3066 times)

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
I see I'm not the only one not bothering with ETH. I wish I had bought some hundreds at 10$ though, and sold at 300$, what a gain that would have been !

That happened with most of the crypto-currencies. If you remember, in 2010, the price of Bitcoin was just around $0.001 per coin (as per the exchange rates from New Liberty Standard, the only Bitcoin exchange of that time). The rates went up to $0.10 per coin later that year and in 2013 BTC attained a peak valuation of $1,230 per coin. The increase was even higher than that with Ether.
Activity: 2380
Merit: 916
fly or die
I see I'm not the only one not bothering with ETH. I wish I had bought some hundreds at 10$ though, and sold at 300$, what a gain that would have been !
Activity: 728
Merit: 500

flippening will still happen though --- the flippening of ETH and ETC  Grin

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013
False!

Ethereum is proving itself to be what it meant to be: a smart contract infrastructure. Recent increase in ETH price was because of the ICOs gathering almost a $billion or so in the past month. For this fundings,  people had to 'buy' ETH, it is not a bubble, it is actual demand. Now this ICOs are trying to exchange their 'income' to finance the projects or just to spend a little more, it is where the trouble begins, there is no more demands. Looks like a ponzi scheme, but it is not. It is a whole new phenomenon that I have not studied its every details and the market is just experiencing it.

not at all.
ethereum failed at smart contracts multiple times. DAO exploited it easily, another one caused a Canadian exchange lose 14 million dollar, recently the smart contracts caused the network to fail and get clogged up to the extent that caused all the transactions to be delayed.

as you said but partly backwards, there is no real demand, the demand was from those ICOs that forced people to buy ETH tokens and cause the bubble.

and many of the ICOs have not yet even started selling their tokens to cause the real dip. this drop is mostly because of the fails of last weak combined with bitcoin price falling, because any time bitcoin goes down all the altcoin go with it.

ETH is getting mauled by new kids in the block. Byteball has way better smart contracts because in Byteball you don't have to be even a programmer to make your own smart contracts, it's been made so easy for the end users who need rather simple contracts anyway. no one is going develop an operating system on the ethereum vm. it was a nice experiment and it failed. time to be mature about it and move on to other more promising projects.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
False!

Ethereum is proving itself to be what it meant to be: a smart contract infrastructure. Recent increase in ETH price was because of the ICOs gathering almost a $billion or so in the past month. For this fundings,  people had to 'buy' ETH, it is not a bubble, it is actual demand. Now this ICOs are trying to exchange their 'income' to finance the projects or just to spend a little more, it is where the trouble begins, there is no more demands. Looks like a ponzi scheme, but it is not. It is a whole new phenomenon that I have not studied its every details and the market is just experiencing it.

not at all.
ethereum failed at smart contracts multiple times. DAO exploited it easily, another one caused a Canadian exchange lose 14 million dollar, recently the smart contracts caused the network to fail and get clogged up to the extent that caused all the transactions to be delayed.

as you said but partly backwards, there is no real demand, the demand was from those ICOs that forced people to buy ETH tokens and cause the bubble.

and many of the ICOs have not yet even started selling their tokens to cause the real dip. this drop is mostly because of the fails of last weak combined with bitcoin price falling, because any time bitcoin goes down all the altcoin go with it.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174
Always remember the cause!
False!

On the other side, bitcoin is transforming from a currency(its promise) to a digital asset with a limited supply. This is new too, a failed currency becoming an asset, like an antique coin in a collection, It will preserve the value as long as there are collectioners out there competing for the possession. It is not a bubble too.
legendary
die Ethereum die. worst coin ever  Grin
oh happy day, been saying this all the time, now is the time when hyena gets to smear it on the faces of all those delusional eth fanboys
eth was from scratch the refuge of butthurt people who didn't buy btc when it was cheap.

if you have sold your eth and made a lot of money on it, then congratulations. there's nothing wrong in making smart trades and growing your wealth like that.

flippening will still happen though --- the flippening of ETH and ETC  Grin
Activity: 336
Merit: 252
I actually think that is the case. 420$ for ethereum was extremely overpriced and it has nearly dropped 50% since. So yes ethereum is in a speculative bubble for sure. I saw ethereum was featured on CNBC so that confirms all the hype and excitement. Bitcoin is nowhere nere a bubble yet. Bitcoin will be in a bubble when your parents start using it.
Activity: 406
Merit: 263
I am really shocked to see 85% voted for "YES". I think both are pretty possible to be a bubble. This voting diesn't mean a thing to me actually, cause of I know that the most people on the forum are just here for making money and they don't get in the poin with the head.

Doesn't matter how many percent of people say yes or no. The real point is the sum of the people who voted is only 37. So this is really small amount for  considering anything.
legendary
BTC heading for a healthy correction down to 1500$, I sold at 2700$ a couple of days ago and already placed buy orders above 1500$. ETH on the other hand is done for this year. not all alts will take a beating though. legitimate innovation such as Byteball still has a lot of growth potential

why $1500?
i have also sold around $2700 and some at $2900 but i don't get why some people say prices below $2000. so far the $2K showed a very good resistance under normal circumstances and these big round numbers are known to form a nice physiological resistances whether it is breaking $2000 to go down or breaking $3000 to go up.

Last resistance becomes the next support. we haven't had a proper consolidation since 1000-1500 range. I admit buy order at 1500 seems kind of far fetched but we must consider panic sellers. it might just touch 1500 for a couple of minutes. If we hover at 1800$ for a week or so I will just buy in of course. but since we haven't even touched 2k yet holding a buy order at 1500 is better than having no buy order at all. you never know (fat fingers for example) Wink
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137
BTC heading for a healthy correction down to 1500$, I sold at 2700$ a couple of days ago and already placed buy orders above 1500$. ETH on the other hand is done for this year. not all alts will take a beating though. legitimate innovation such as Byteball still has a lot of growth potential

why $1500?
i have also sold around $2700 and some at $2900 but i don't get why some people say prices below $2000. so far the $2K showed a very good resistance under normal circumstances and these big round numbers are known to form a nice physiological resistances whether it is breaking $2000 to go down or breaking $3000 to go up.
Activity: 532
Merit: 250
   I was reading some articles today which pointed towards such a conclusion, just curious what others think about this notion.

What I would say is that bitcoin is less of a bubble than ethereum is.

Ethereum has risen 5-6x in bitcoin terms when bitcoin has risen 6x at least itself in the past few weeks. So this indicates that ethereum has basically shot up from the $10-20 range to all the way up to 400+.

The question is, how can ETH not be a bubble? It was less than 10 billion of breaking bitcoin's market capitilaziton when it was having network congestion issues due to a few ICOs. If the network is so fragile, then what will happen during mass adoption of EThereum?

Bitcoin on the other hand even though has scaling problems, has a much wider community. The price right now is high, but not unjustified. After all, Japan, Australia, and now INdia are all legalizing BTC. That accounts for at least 1/5 of the world population already that legalizes bitcoin.
Activity: 588
Merit: 541
ETH is not a bubble but an extensive and heavily backed pump, Bitcoin was in a bubble but as people started to see how useful it could be for storing

The value and specially international transfers and a large group of new comers from the middle levels of society simply because of a few countries

Announced officially about adopting Bitcoin the bubble has turned into a sphere with solid floors, Did you know if people stop panic selling the price

Could never fall? what makes it to drop if you tell me? if all the coin holders and owners never sell lower $2800 do you think price will reach there?

I believe so. where are the mining farms of ETH? mostly people are solo mining it in their homes and basements or garages unlike Bitcoin with

Transparent miners, ETH miners are faceless individuals and there are no faces to blame when something goes wrong like how we're blaming Wu

And others for high fees.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002
Ethereum seems to be crashing hard now. Vitalik is losing it on twitter lately with some strange tweets. Also, it is said that the flash crash that happened the other day, was a massive selloff that came from the genesis block, so it could have been Vitalik or one of the close friends that were at the beginning of the genesis block that got the insane amount of 72 million ETH... what a mess.

Ethereum was a bubble and it was said from long on but no one listened , the developer developed the coin and left it. when recently their was a dump everyone realized it and now crying about ethereum being scam coin. Vitalik have itself declared that what ever he has made profits will diversify to fiat currency and real world economy and not in crypto currency as he itself dont have faith on crytpcurrency.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
Ethereum seems to be crashing hard now. Vitalik is losing it on twitter lately with some strange tweets. Also, it is said that the flash crash that happened the other day, was a massive selloff that came from the genesis block, so it could have been Vitalik or one of the close friends that were at the beginning of the genesis block that got the insane amount of 72 million ETH... what a mess.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 514
I am really shocked to see 85% voted for "YES". I think both are pretty possible to be a bubble. This voting diesn't mean a thing to me actually, cause of I know that the most people on the forum are just here for making money and they don't get in the poin with the head.
Activity: 350
Merit: 255
All the altcoins are in a MASSIVE bubble!
This includes Vitalium a well of course!Totally overvalued and I see it going below $100 easily!!
Bitcoin was growing parabolic in some phases but always has seen bigger corrections.Imo Bitcoin was not/is not really in a bubble so far.
This however does not mean that the actual price will hold. A look at the weekly chart and some indicators show us, that a dump to $1300 could be possible. We've never tested this area as a support level after the breakout. So a huge pullback could definitely happen.
And if it holds, we would still be in a bullish trend!
So are you shorting right now?
Activity: 2380
Merit: 916
fly or die
BTC might still be in a bubble and can still crash to around 1000$ in my opinion, however long term I think it will go higher than now, so if you can suffer the crash, it's worth it.

ETH, I'm much less confident and wouldn't put any serious money into it. The hard fork has scarred me (and I wasn't affected as I didn't own any).
legendary
Merit: 1292
There is trouble abrewing
Why? How? What's the obvious symptoms of bubble that you're seeing? Or more importantly, why do you think Ethereum isn't worthy of it's current value?

over 40x increase in a handful of months. icos that no one understands selling out in seconds. r/ethtrader filled with thousands of posts a day about buying lambos.

does any of that smell like business as usual?

It smells like it is time to get out and lock the profits. News has it that deposits and withdrawals of some ICO tokens were disabled by the exchanges because Ethereum's backlog is getting too large.

not the ICos but the ethereum itself. they have disabled all the deposits and withdrawals of ETH because ethereum blockchain apparently has so many problems right now and transaction delays are getting very long.

and you will never hear the failures of ethereum on the main board, you just keep hearing the words flippening and big market cap! and all the while price of ether is dropping hard!
Pages:
Jump to: