Pages:
Author

Topic: Turning off miners - page 2. (Read 36347 times)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100
June 26, 2015, 07:19:16 PM
well sollar energy as wind would be the way to be able to roi but how many time you think withoyt pay eletricity would take 1 year? more less with the current price of 230 dollars.... would be better to sell and buy it ?

Don't forget that with solar and wind (or any other electricity source you buy and generate your own) you will have to ROI on the investment for that device too, on top of the miner. Essentially, it only extends your ROI and makes your income higher after the break-even point, where the difficulty probably would have already risen.
Very true, but a miner that mines for free is never obsolete so theoretically you could keep mining forever.  Technically you'll always make your ROI eventually, although as you have said because of difficulty rises and other factors like price that could take some time.  I really only think green/free energy is the way to go for people that really want to get into mining but have really high power costs or people who don't care as much about the money as they do the fun of mining and other cool and interesting projects.

The thing is that your miner will mine less and less every month and your income will gradually reduce.  Eventually to a point where you can already call your miner obsolete. At this point you are "wasting" your renewable energy on something that is not profitable. For example, I could sell the electricity for 15c/kWh, but by using it for mining if I make less than 15c/kWh of Bitcoins, then I am losing money (wasting energy that could be sold).
If my expenses are double for the same income (understand: I have to invest in e.g. solar plus the miner) then the ROI will be longer, for sure. However, since your income is gradually decreasing (linearly or maybe even exponentially!) you may never even make a ROI  if you keep your miner running.

I think investing in solar/wind is a good opportunity, I just don't see why it would have to be combined with mining, apart if it is a hobby project then for sure it is fun. For me these 2 will be separate investments. The idea of having "free" energy from renewable seems very appealing, but I am not sure if I couldn't rent a place with cheap electricity that would make more economical sense and give me a fast ROI at the end of which I'd sell the miner and invest in a new technology.
I hadn't thought of it that way before, seems you're right.  I guess it's the only way to go if your electricity is super high, you can't sell to the grid, AND you like Bitcoin mining as a hobby.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
June 26, 2015, 06:37:47 PM
well the way to go is another coins ,but with renew energy otherwise no miner profitable to pay the bill
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
June 26, 2015, 12:17:24 PM
I ain't turning off my miner, i'm mining other sha256 coins.  Wink

I got a ant miner u3 off $50 of ebay.
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
June 26, 2015, 03:30:45 AM
well sollar energy as wind would be the way to be able to roi but how many time you think withoyt pay eletricity would take 1 year? more less with the current price of 230 dollars.... would be better to sell and buy it ?

Don't forget that with solar and wind (or any other electricity source you buy and generate your own) you will have to ROI on the investment for that device too, on top of the miner. Essentially, it only extends your ROI and makes your income higher after the break-even point, where the difficulty probably would have already risen.
Very true, but a miner that mines for free is never obsolete so theoretically you could keep mining forever.  Technically you'll always make your ROI eventually, although as you have said because of difficulty rises and other factors like price that could take some time.  I really only think green/free energy is the way to go for people that really want to get into mining but have really high power costs or people who don't care as much about the money as they do the fun of mining and other cool and interesting projects.

The thing is that your miner will mine less and less every month and your income will gradually reduce.  Eventually to a point where you can already call your miner obsolete. At this point you are "wasting" your renewable energy on something that is not profitable. For example, I could sell the electricity for 15c/kWh, but by using it for mining if I make less than 15c/kWh of Bitcoins, then I am losing money (wasting energy that could be sold).
If my expenses are double for the same income (understand: I have to invest in e.g. solar plus the miner) then the ROI will be longer, for sure. However, since your income is gradually decreasing (linearly or maybe even exponentially!) you may never even make a ROI  if you keep your miner running.

I think investing in solar/wind is a good opportunity, I just don't see why it would have to be combined with mining, apart if it is a hobby project then for sure it is fun. For me these 2 will be separate investments. The idea of having "free" energy from renewable seems very appealing, but I am not sure if I couldn't rent a place with cheap electricity that would make more economical sense and give me a fast ROI at the end of which I'd sell the miner and invest in a new technology.
June 25, 2015, 07:55:45 PM

sollar as wind energy would be only to mine lol you can use it at home there is a lot things to spend those energy from them lol...soo this investment is to ROI around 5 to 10 years of bills

I didn't fully get what you were trying to say. However, there is a big difference between 5 and 10 years of ROI.

if you think in future you can say on the next 20 at 40 next years that you expect to be  alive ,what i meaned is that is currently several people that invested on wind and solar energy soo mine bitcoins for any person that goes into these new ways of energy will be roi on the next years that is around those time as the country you present at brazil is around 10 years....the normal energy costs....

What i meaned is you can take a shower turn on light ,turn on pc ,turn on tv, and mine bitcoins with the new energy soo is what i meaned
June 25, 2015, 02:40:48 PM

June 25, 2015, 08:42:53 AM

sollar as wind energy would be only to mine lol you can use it at home there is a lot things to spend those energy from them lol...soo this investment is to ROI around 5 to 10 years of bills

I didn't fully get what you were trying to say. However, there is a big difference between 5 and 10 years of ROI.
June 24, 2015, 03:56:56 PM

Activity: 92
Merit: 10
June 24, 2015, 02:06:43 PM
China has basically taken bitcoin over for the most part. I still have my miners here but only 2 of them are running. And they're not running all day.
Activity: 15
June 24, 2015, 10:54:52 AM
For me mining at home is not profitable due to the high electricity costs. I recently bought some GH's from a trustworthy cloud mining service. This makes some profit after the costs are paid.
Time will tell if i break even or end up with a little profit Smiley
Activity: 312
Merit: 111
June 24, 2015, 10:33:49 AM
After one year of mining, I just stopped my small time mining operation Smiley In the past 4 months, I was paying so much for power, my bills were so high, and I was barely making anything. Not even close to breaking even each month. Now I just buy direct, and cloud mine. I have to keep the feeling of getting new coins each day. I think I will turn on my miners maybe for a week each month (maybe).

But I will say what a year experience it has been. From being ripped off and miners never coming that I paid for from minersource/blackarrow (prospero x-1), and from cloud mining sites shutting down after 2 months of offering service (GAW miners).

I am on the fence of shutting down my 7 S3's - I live in SF and feel like I am actively losing money, but I enjoy doing what I can to decentralize the network.

I wish it wasn't so slanted by silicon/ASIC producers with access to cheap power.

I also got ripped off $6000 by bitmine in 2014 with a miner/refund that never came.

I wish there weren't so many bad people motivated by greed in this world.

I still believe in bitcoin.

maybe offtopic but what was the deal about the $6000?
June 24, 2015, 03:59:33 AM

June 24, 2015, 02:58:53 AM
I'm working on setting up a cheap solar-powered Bitcoin miner.  It's going to run one of my three U2's I have collecting dust by pairing a solar-charged 4000mAh battery bank, a USB solar panel charger to charge the battery bank along with its built-in panel, and a Raspberry Pi or TL-MR3020 router with OpenWRT to control the U2.  I'll add more solar panels so I can have a powered USB hub and the other U2s run later.  It definitely won't generate a lot of Bitcoins, but hey!  No more power costs of leaving my PC on 24/7!  It'll also be a fun little project.
Did you start yet? I have 2 nanofurys and I want to do the same. My thought was to use a panel from harbor freight tools 15 watt panel which more could be added later. Some people do say to not waist your time on these panels and just by  one bigger one similar to Solarcities yet won't invest until it works. I also liked Teslas battery maybe a small time electrician would install it one day.

My other solar project was a solor powered flood light with the little solar panel clipped to the rain gutter using the plastic Christmas light clips. This system can be used for the 15watt panel too. Might try the corner of the house first.

Not sure where to start first. Probably panels first and attached to the corner siding or temp post at the corner of the house. first step would be to make sure I get 6 hours of charging time.

My battery was going to be the charged battery jumpers. Those are good for plugging led flood lights if you have to work on the car or power goes out for awhile. One small problem is it stopped taking a charge so we will see if solar power can trickle charge it. Funny probably used it once to jumpstart an actual car battery.

List of things to buy.
Centech 5-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Start (battery and power converter builtin)
Thunderbolt 15 watt solar panel kit

Yep, I haven't done a lot of work on it since cause I've been pretty busy with some other stuff, but here's the thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11510674.  It's basically finished, just needs a few more optimizations.  I'll finish it eventually, but like I said I'm pretty busy.  The skies have been pretty cloudy lately anyways, so I'm not in a rush.
June 23, 2015, 06:46:32 PM
Activity: 721
Merit: 504
June 23, 2015, 10:55:32 AM
I'm working on setting up a cheap solar-powered Bitcoin miner.  It's going to run one of my three U2's I have collecting dust by pairing a solar-charged 4000mAh battery bank, a USB solar panel charger to charge the battery bank along with its built-in panel, and a Raspberry Pi or TL-MR3020 router with OpenWRT to control the U2.  I'll add more solar panels so I can have a powered USB hub and the other U2s run later.  It definitely won't generate a lot of Bitcoins, but hey!  No more power costs of leaving my PC on 24/7!  It'll also be a fun little project.
Did you start yet? I have 2 nanofurys and I want to do the same. My thought was to use a panel from harbor freight tools 15 watt panel which more could be added later. Some people do say to not waist your time on these panels and just by  one bigger one similar to Solarcities yet won't invest until it works. I also liked Teslas battery maybe a small time electrician would install it one day.

My other solar project was a solor powered flood light with the little solar panel clipped to the rain gutter using the plastic Christmas light clips. This system can be used for the 15watt panel too. Might try the corner of the house first.

Not sure where to start first. Probably panels first and attached to the corner siding or temp post at the corner of the house. first step would be to make sure I get 6 hours of charging time.

My battery was going to be the charged battery jumpers. Those are good for plugging led flood lights if you have to work on the car or power goes out for awhile. One small problem is it stopped taking a charge so we will see if solar power can trickle charge it. Funny probably used it once to jumpstart an actual car battery.

List of things to buy.
Centech 5-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Start (battery and power converter builtin)
Thunderbolt 15 watt solar panel kit

Activity: 4
June 23, 2015, 09:35:13 AM
Is there someone thinking about selling their rig?
Activity: 327
Merit: 250
it's a hardware thing!
June 02, 2015, 06:31:17 PM
Mining is almost dead for the little guys its unfortunate but its the facts. Maybe its time to start mining new coins and hope for the best.

What is considered a little guy? Serious questions here.

100TH/s and less might be a good cut-off point, somewhere around there?

I guess it matters that I have free power  Grin. I will run them till they die of old age.
June 02, 2015, 06:21:21 PM
Mining is almost dead for the little guys its unfortunate but its the facts. Maybe its time to start mining new coins and hope for the best.

Screw that, I'm on my S1 going strong.  Strong on electricity bills, that is.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
June 02, 2015, 06:03:04 PM

Activity: 327
Merit: 250
it's a hardware thing!
June 02, 2015, 05:59:27 PM

Pages:
Jump to: