Pages:
Author

Topic: Ultra-Low-Cost DIY FPGA Miner - 175MH/s @ $1/MH - page 10. (Read 125848 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Is it available for sale?
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
Just wondering, what OS, programs, and other stuff are you running.  Let's say I have the hardware (which I obviously don't).  How would you set this up from a flash drive?
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
What software did you use to generate that?  Doesn't look like fpga_editor...

PlanAhead.. it's OK, but I do miss fpga_editor

We should start an FPGA screenshot thread.. I'd love to see what ArtForz's 195MH/s design
looks like..

-rph

it looks like MR. Zetx generated a nearly 200M design.....

3input adder
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
I'd be interested in this as well
rph
Activity: 176

PlanAhead.. it's OK, but I do miss fpga_editor

We should start an FPGA screenshot thread.. I'd love to see what ArtForz's 195MH/s design
looks like..

-rph
donator
While I'm waiting on PCBs and parts.. here's some eye candy from the VHDL design.
The first SHA256 pipeline is a nested figure-8  Grin

-rph

Wow, almost looks like a smiley-face!

rph
While I'm waiting on PCBs and parts.. here's some eye candy from the VHDL design.
The first SHA256 pipeline is a nested figure-8  Grin

-rph
Activity: 455
Merit: 250
You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin
I guess at some point we'll find out how many people really, truly are getting "free electricity".

Yeah, seems like a much larger number than I expected.

Oh, I don't think the current hashrate is indicative of that just yet.

The hashrate is decaying slowly; once it stays still for a whole week I'll start to try to infer things from it.

One factor behind the slow-as-molasses reaction to price is that there are also a lot of people who bought these silly 6-month "mining contracts" with some company that warehouses the machines.  The customer has basically paid for 6 months worth of electricity in advance, even if that electricity is now being basically wasted.  The mining company doesn't want to let the customer out of the contract because at this point they'll never get anybody else to take their place, and the capital cost situation would be even worse for them than it already is.  So the completely wasteful mining goes on and on... but eventually it will stop.

Unfortunately BTC is still a currency in search of an economy..
-rph

I'm unaware of the mining contracts. Where does one go to buy them?
How many have been sold? How much time before they expire?

thanks.

I'm also watching the total hash rate. When stabilizes as well as the price, would be a good investing moment in my opinion.

Ah, just wait...
Activity: 313
Merit: 251
Third score
I guess at some point we'll find out how many people really, truly are getting "free electricity".

-rph

Just wait until "extended bank holidays" start happening.
donator

Oh, I don't think the current hashrate is indicative of that just yet.

The hashrate is decaying slowly; once it stays still for a whole week I'll start to try to infer things from it.

One factor behind the slow-as-molasses reaction to price is that there are also a lot of people who bought these silly 6-month "mining contracts" with some company that warehouses the machines.  The customer has basically paid for 6 months worth of electricity in advance, even if that electricity is now being basically wasted.  The mining company doesn't want to let the customer out of the contract because at this point they'll never get anybody else to take their place, and the capital cost situation would be even worse for them than it already is.  So the completely wasteful mining goes on and on... but eventually it will stop.

-rph

Ah, just wait...
rph

-rph
donator
Meanwhile the BTC price is dropping way faster than difficulty.. which is troubling..

Indeed, troubling for me too.  It's annoying how the network hashrate (to say nothing of the difficulty, which lags it) rises rapidly with the price but falls back so slowly.

donator
The 2-cycle-per-stage design is proving difficult to cool  Undecided

Ah, yes, I was having that problem back when I went uber-hog-wild with SRL32s.

In all seriousness, do you mean that as a euphemism for "draws too much power" or do you literally mean you're having trouble cooling it?  A copper northbridge heatsink (like the one in the photos of my prototype board) and a fan can sink a pretty insane amount of heat.
rph
BTW.. not much other news on this project.. I've been working on the multi-FPGA design,
trying to get an FPGA discount, and negotiating with PCB and assembly houses for
my build.

Meanwhile the BTC price is dropping way faster than difficulty.. which is troubling..
I had to turn off my GPUs as they are heavily underwater at $0.15/kWh

-rph
rph
Neat, but since you don't need adders with more than three inputs and you have to carry-complete every single round (in order to do the right-rotate-and-xor), I'm not sure it makes a big difference for SHA-256...

Well, I am currently trying to speed up the 1-cycle-per-SHA256-stage design, which has a 5-input adder.
The 2-cycle-per-stage design is proving difficult to cool  Undecided

-rph
donator

Neat, but since you don't need adders with more than three inputs and you have to carry-complete every single round (in order to do the right-rotate-and-xor), I'm not sure it makes a big difference for SHA-256...

The real killer is the shared-subfunction rule for LUT6_2 that forces you to use a slow switchbox route for one of the two carry-chain inputs when doing ternary addition.
rph
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Really? I would like to buy some.
Pages:
Jump to: