Pages:
Author

Topic: Umbrel — Discussion, issues, solutions - page 3. (Read 2103 times)

legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
September 02, 2022, 03:23:51 AM
a restart of the rpi helped and my umbrel node is running and reachable again Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
I dont want to redownload the blockchain via outside net. Knowing that the pi os is linux and other is windows 10 i simply cannot transfer the blockchain files to the pi or can i?

It's possible, you just need to copy folder which store Bitcoin Core files to your 2TB HDD and configure Bitcoin Core to use that folder.

Can i just sync the pi blockchain from only my pc bitcoin core via internal LAN so it does not download via internet outside my network?

You can do it with parameter -connect= or adding connect= to bitcoin.conf file.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 01, 2022, 02:25:17 PM
i can not access my node or log in since a few days...
when i try to access http://umbrel.local/ i get a empty page with the message: the website is not available
anyone an idea?
have not changed anything on my umbrel node

Can you get the RPi plugged into video? If so there might be something on the screen that gives a hint.
Crashed process / out of memory / drive error.

If not, can you SSH to it? From the umbrel site:

Open a terminal on your computer and enter:

ssh -t [email protected]

in Windows 7 you can use Putty 145, a tiny program to use SSH

in Windows 10 you can use PowerShell and the command is

ssh umbrel@umbrel

Instead of umbrel.local also you can use the local IP of your node.

The default password is moneyprintergobrrr.

On version 0.3.3 or later, the password is your personal user password instead.

If you can get in with SSH a reboot might fix it
Code:
sudo reboot
to reboot the node.

How old is your oldest backup if there is an issue that requires a rebuild?

-Dave

legendary
Cashback 15%
September 01, 2022, 01:24:26 PM
i can not access my node or log in since a few days...
when i try to access http://umbrel.local/ i get a empty page with the message: the website is not available
anyone an idea?
have not changed anything on my umbrel node
legendary
Cashback 15%
there are again two new apps for umbrel Smiley
with the woofbot app you can see the notifications of your Bitcoin node on telegram and with the second app lnvisualizer you can see the complete lightning network graphically and get all the information you need

https://twitter.com/umbrel/status/1542473508583837698
legendary
Cashback 15%
umbrel has today introduced the new update of their software and released with version 0.5 a very comprehensive release.
the following features will be delivered with the new version, which can be easily installed via your webif: new ui, simple one-line install, realtime app updates, new Bitcoin node and lightning node apps,
app permissions and dependencies, authentication for apps and a new way to package and ship apps for umbrel

This is Umbrel 0.5. A beautiful personal server OS that makes self-hosting accessible for everyone. And our biggest update to Umbrel yet.

Umbrel 0.5 is now live. If you’re running Umbrel, just log in to update.
https://blog.getumbrel.com/introducing-umbrel-0-5-a-beautiful-personal-server-os-for-self-hosting-dcbee7e23b64
legendary
Cashback 15%

Do you have an idea how to run an full node on the Raspi 2B that is easy to set up?

unfortunately it will not be possible and the whole thing will always crash. tried it with a friend (who also has a rpi 2) but all options/configs were unsuccessful.
i would highly recommend you to get an rpi 4 - even umbrel itself says on its own homepage that an rpi4 is needed.
Activity: 22
Merit: 7
@erictan90 after I look around about Umbrel, based on this, Umbrel doesn't allow public incoming connections. Though I don't know much about how Umbrel is configured and how Docker works. But probably, that is the reason why you didn't get any inbound connections, which the node doesn't act as a listening node.

do you think MyNode allow public incoming connections?
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Has anyone tried to install umbrellas on an older Raspi? I have an Raspi 2 and could imagine it could work with a presynced blockchain?

Nope you can't. You need a 4. You need at least 2GB Ram although that would make for a miserable experience. 4 or 8 is recommended. The 4 is also MUCH faster.
Take a look at where the 4 is terms of speed vs the 2.
Also the 2 only has USB2 to move and deal with the blockchain and other things you need USB3

If you could you somehow force it on and then possibly make it work it's going to be a disaster with many performance issues and things not working because they took too long.

-Dave
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
Has anyone tried to install umbrellas on an older Raspi? I have an Raspi 2 and could imagine it could work with a presynced blockchain?

I doubt it'll work, the GitHub clearly state it only tested on ARMv8 and x64 devices. Some user also report error when they use ARMv7 device[1]. Older Pi 2B use ARMv7 while Pi 2B v1.2 use ARMv8[2]. It'll be challenge though since only Pi 4 is supported[3] with 4GB RAM as "Installation Requirements"[4].

Do you have an idea how to run an full node on the Raspi 2B that is easy to set up?
I see around 15000 listening node (https://bitnodes.io)
Is that include the electrum server node?
No, Bitnodes only lists Bitcoin nodes.

I think my Umbrel receiving 1 inbound connection from electrs:0.9.4
That comes from your own node. Electrs are using a P2P bitcoin connection, which makes it show as an inbound connection.

do you mean that my Umbrel node is not a listening node?
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
You can do it with parameter -connect= or adding connect= to bitcoin.conf file.

For now Umbrel is TOR only, will it still connect to a non TOR node even if it's local? I never tried.
Also, although it should not matter, changing the conf file for some of the preconfigured nodes may cause other issues. I know once you change any of the conf files in mynode it will not change them itself even if an update to bitcoind or other app requires it. It's the you touch it, it's yours theory.

-Dave
does anyone know why it is not possible to disable these 3 options in the umbrel node?

especially the last option 'remote access' to the tor network would be very interesting...
is this generally not possible for the current version or is it maybe somewhere in my settings?

I asked in the Telegram group, someone said it is not possible to disable it now
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Yes you can, but unless you are on a slow or metered internet connection it's not worth it.

Umbrel (or any of the nodes in a box) that are going to run some other things will need to index the blockchain which is going to take longer if you just copy it across then if it does it on the fly as it downloads. Remember, it's a lower power machine pushing everything through a USB connection so there is a performance issue doing it that way. Once it's up an running it's fine.

-Dave
I see around 15000 listening node (https://bitnodes.io)
Is that include the electrum server node?
I think my Umbrel receiving 1 inbound connection from electrs:0.9.4
Activity: 107
Merit: 50
Guys can anyone help me in this problem?
I have a bitcoin node operating in my windows 10 pc.
i want to setup 24/7 bitcoin node via raspberry pi 400. Have purchase 3.5" 2tb hdd with its own power supply

I dont want to redownload the blockchain via outside net. Knowing that the pi os is linux and other is windows 10 i simply cannot transfer the blockchain files to the pi or can i?
Can i just sync the pi blockchain from only my pc bitcoin core via internal LAN so it does not download via internet outside my network?
legendary
Cashback 15%
one of the reasons and advantages of an own node Grin

legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
@erictan90 after I look around about Umbrel, based on this, Umbrel doesn't allow public incoming connections. Though I don't know much about how Umbrel is configured and how Docker works. But probably, that is the reason why you didn't get any inbound connections, which the node doesn't act as a listening node.

do you think MyNode allow public incoming connections?
Actually, I retake my word about Umbrel didn't allow the public incoming connection. I can't be sure about that.

Bitcoind and Tor that are configured properly should allow you to accept inbound connections out of the box. And I see that Umbrel community somewhere else they did has an inbound connection. I don't know where's wrong about your issue, the fact that I didn't use Umbrel, couldn't make help me to try to figure it out. Ideally, any AIO/out of the box node solution like Umbrel, My node, etc should offer you to allow accepting incoming connections. The last thing you have to do, specifically if the node isn't using Tor, is to configure your router to allow the port forward the bitcoin port.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
Has anyone here gotten Umbrel to work on a Debian machine?
I followed their docs and had nothing but issues.

I never tried it, but what docs did you follow? The GitHub page mention it's not recommended[1] to run Umbrel on anything else (besides Raspberry Pi 4).

Using their pre-burned RPi image was perfect with no issues. But what should have been a quick Linux build would not start. No error, no output, no nothing....just a blinking cursor.

You need to be specific. Does "blinking cursor" happen when you run command sudo ./scripts/start? Have you tried open localhost on your browser to check whether Umbrel running?

[1] https://github.com/getumbrel/umbrel#-getting-started
Pages:
Jump to: