Pages:
Author

Topic: Umbrel — Discussion, issues, solutions - page 6. (Read 2103 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 10:26:22 AM
Yes. I rebuilt the block data by plugging the SSD in my computer and treating it as an external storage. It would be faster to simply copy another uncorrupted block dir onto the SSD though.

Are you sure there isn't a smarter solution in case of an unclean shutdown? Can't I just delete the last block in my data and retry with bitcoind?
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
August 23, 2021, 10:13:41 AM
Like a power outage? What happens then? Will you wait for another week to sync?
Yes. I rebuilt the block data by plugging the SSD in my computer and treating it as an external storage. It would be faster to simply copy another uncorrupted block dir onto the SSD though.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 09:51:57 AM
As in my own RPi got corrupted due to an unclean shutdown.

Like a power outage? What happens then? Will you wait for another week to sync?
legendary
August 23, 2021, 09:50:05 AM
Indeed. In order to test all those OSes you'll have to wait for a month, although I may stay with Umbrel as it seems better than myNode (that I had tried). The syncing didn't take that much on that OS, though. It finished in ~2.5 days. Does this have to do with the mandate usage of Tor? (without Tor it should sync faster)
Probably not. The only way to check is by looking at the resource usage, htop should show you how much ram is getting utilized and the CPU as well. I've never really had a bottleneck while using Tor, or at least it isn't that obvious to me at all.

It got corrupted? Why? Don't I just plug my SSD to the PC's usb port, start the daemon using bitcoind --datadir=<...> and safely shut it down with bitcoin-cli --datadir=<...> stop?
As in my own RPi got corrupted due to an unclean shutdown. It has nothing to do with me synchronizing using my computer.
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 09:37:10 AM
It's normal. Raspberry Pi is notoriously slow and the record for me was 5 days with a fairly fast SSD and a RPi 4, can take up to weeks depending on which RPi you have.
I have RPi 4 so it'll probably take a century less.

The CPU, the RAM and USB (again depending on your Pi) are bottlenecks.
Indeed. In order to test all those OSes you'll have to wait for a month, although I may stay with Umbrel as it seems better than myNode (that I had tried). The syncing didn't take that much on that OS, though. It finished in ~2.5 days. Does this have to do with the mandate usage of Tor? (without Tor it should sync faster)

That's what I did with my subsequent synchronization after it got corrupted a few times.
It got corrupted? Why? Don't I just plug my SSD to the PC's usb port, start the daemon using bitcoind --datadir=<...> and safely shut it down with bitcoin-cli --datadir=<...> stop?
legendary
August 23, 2021, 09:28:51 AM
So, I'm facing a syncing problem. It takes way too long than what I expected. I set it up yesterday (24 hours must have passed) and it's still on 14.48%. Is this normal or the verification of the blocks takes more than it should?
It's normal. Raspberry Pi is notoriously slow and the record for me was 5 days with a fairly fast SSD and a RPi 4, can take up to weeks depending on which RPi you have. The CPU, the RAM and USB (again depending on your Pi) are bottlenecks.
Is there any way I could speed it up? Like verifying the rest of the blocks in my PC which should be faster than with Raspberry and then plugging my external disk back to it again once it's done.
That's what I did with my subsequent synchronization after it got corrupted a few times. Either that or just copy the entire dir of a copy that you've already fully synchronized (if you have).
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 09:16:15 AM
I shall open a general thread about Umbrel, which is an implementation of an operating system that runs Bitcoin & Lightning Network node. You simply install it on your Raspberry Pi and enjoy the benefits of a personal node. Your node runs through Tor (as I've noticed it's mandatory) and can also been administrated via WAN (not just LAN!) if you enter your onion url wherever you are.

Other, similar, implementations of such OS are myNode, RaspiBolt and RaspiBlitz.

So, I'm facing a syncing problem. It takes way too long than what I expected. I set it up yesterday (24 hours must have passed) and it's still on 14.48%. Is this normal or the verification of the blocks takes more than it should? Is there any way I could speed it up? Like verifying the rest of the blocks in my PC which should be faster than with Raspberry and then plugging my external disk back to it again once it's done.

I have:
  • 1 TB SSD external disk. (is this enough for both Bitcoin Core and Electrum?)
  • Internet speed: ~100 Mbits/sec.
  • 32GB micro SD card.
Pages:
Jump to: