Pages:
Author

Topic: Umbrel — Discussion, issues, solutions - page 4. (Read 2103 times)

legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
@erictan90 after I look around about Umbrel, based on this, Umbrel doesn't allow public incoming connections. Though I don't know much about how Umbrel is configured and how Docker works. But probably, that is the reason why you didn't get any inbound connections, which the node doesn't act as a listening node.

I see that @Cygan have a similar issue on the previous page, maybe Cygan could confirm whether the issue has been resolved or not.
legendary
I see around 15000 listening node (https://bitnodes.io)
Is that include the electrum server node?
No, Bitnodes only lists Bitcoin nodes.

I think my Umbrel receiving 1 inbound connection from electrs:0.9.4
That comes from your own node. Electrs are using a P2P bitcoin connection, which makes it show as an inbound connection.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
does anyone know why it is not possible to disable these 3 options in the umbrel node?

especially the last option 'remote access' to the tor network would be very interesting...
is this generally not possible for the current version or is it maybe somewhere in my settings?
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
Has anyone here gotten Umbrel to work on a Debian machine?
I followed their docs and had nothing but issues.

I never tried it, but what docs did you follow? The GitHub page mention it's not recommended[1] to run Umbrel on anything else (besides Raspberry Pi 4).

Using their pre-burned RPi image was perfect with no issues. But what should have been a quick Linux build would not start. No error, no output, no nothing....just a blinking cursor.

You need to be specific. Does "blinking cursor" happen when you run command sudo ./scripts/start? Have you tried open localhost on your browser to check whether Umbrel running?

[1] https://github.com/getumbrel/umbrel#-getting-started

Yes I know it's listed as not recommended but I had a clean VM sitting there and figured why not.
Followed the instructions, Docker, Python, etc. for the requirements.
Looked good, no issues.

Run it and nothing happens, no services start, nothing when I try to browse to it, looking at top in another terminal window it's like I did non even run the "sudo ./scripts/start" command. Will play with it again when I have time. Just wondering if anyone else here had the problem before I start opening up an issue on github or even join the telegram discussion (which I hate).

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
okay, i'll install a few apps tomorrow Smiley
can you maybe recommend a few apps from the umbrel app store that are a must have for every Bitcoin node?

Looking their github repository[1] (since i currently don't use Umbrel), i would recommend these.
1. btc-rpc-explorer. It's lightweight explorer without additional index, so you don't need to use 3rd party block explorer which could
weaken your privacy. Alternatively you can choose mempool if you want richer feature.
2. pi-hole. It's DNS server with ability to block certain domain, usually used to block advertising and malicious website. But i don't know whether it works with Tor or VPN.

Additionally, i forget to mention that "Umbrel is currently in beta and is not considered secure"[2].

[1] https://github.com/getumbrel/umbrel/tree/master/apps
[2] https://github.com/getumbrel/umbrel/blob/master/SECURITY.md
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Has anyone here gotten Umbrel to work on a Debian machine?
I followed their docs and had nothing but issues.
Using their pre-burned RPi image was perfect with no issues. But what should have been a quick Linux build would not start. No error, no output, no nothing....just a blinking cursor.

-Dave
legendary
Cashback 15%
umbrel has again released a new version, which also includes two new apps.
one is the agora and the other is the sparkkiosk app.
to update your node to the new version just click on the update button in your umbrel webif.

Umbrel 0.4.17 is here with 2 brand new apps in the Umbrel App Store, updated apps, and more.

💰 Sell your files for #Bitcoin with Agora
🖨️ Create and print LNURL QR codes for your kiosk or café with sparkkiosk

Login to your Umbrel to update!
https://twitter.com/getumbrel/status/1511316135316439043
legendary
Cashback 15%
okay, thank you.
have now decided for two apps and installed the 'mempool' and the 'tor snowflake proxy' app on my umbrel node
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
what do you think about all the apps that umbrel offers in its app store?
I don't know too much about it, but according to their app framework repository page, each app is also containerized/isolated. Though it may doesn't make any sense considering the essential app which handles the low-level bitcoin apps or the whole system itself are built with security tradeoffs.

are they now, in your opinion, safe on the umbrel node when you install them or should you have any major concerns?

I'd say it's quite safe since each app on Umbrel App Store require pull request which reviewed by human and i don't see any discussion to accept closed-source software on their app store.
legendary
Cashback 15%
okay, i'll install a few apps tomorrow Smiley
can you maybe recommend a few apps from the umbrel app store that are a must have for every Bitcoin node?
legendary
I don't know too much about it, but according to their app framework repository page, each app is also containerized/isolated. Though it may doesn't make any sense considering the essential app which handles the low-level bitcoin apps or the whole system itself are built with security tradeoffs.

are they now, in your opinion, safe on the umbrel node when you install them or should you have any major concerns?
Yes, as above mentioned, Umbrel apps are going through a review and modification process by the Umbrel developers' to adjust the configuration/security concern.

And if we are referencing the vuln and somehow the apps contained the dependency, I believe as of now it won't do any major harm.
legendary
Cashback 15%

legendary
legendary
Cashback 15%
do any of you here use some of them and what about the security of the whole umbrel node? i can imagine that this might compromise the security a bit...
behaves then similarly as, if one would install on its mobile phone various apps...
legendary
hi, how many inbound connections after you restart the Tor?
I missed your post, sorry. After I restarted my node IIRC it gradually got 10+ connections.

A further precaution note of Umbrel security disclosure.

Recently there is a known NPM package security vulnerability, node-ipc[1]. In short, the malicious package will overwrite all the files if the user's IP comes from Russia or Belarus. While the Umbrel node may or may not be affected, it is worth noting the precatory security measure from the Umbrel developers.

And while that issue is already being addressed and even if somehow the Umbrel node is affected, I believe it won't fully affect the whole system since Umbrel systems are containerized and the only thing I can see is it only may impact the umbrel-dashboard app since the nested dependencies contained the malicious package. Also, noting the node ran on Tor and the Exit relay of those IPs is few, so mostly, it will hardly get affected.

After all, since as on the security disclosure Umbrel mentioned using a bunch of 3rd party dependencies, this snipped quote is worth consideration for future Umbrel development:
While this is an attack with protest-driven motivations, it highlights a larger issue facing the software supply chain: the transitive dependencies in your code can have a huge impact on your security.

More info about the vuln: https://gist.github.com/MidSpike/f7ae3457420af78a54b38a31cc0c809c and Alert: peacenotwar module sabotages npm developers in the node-ipc package to protest the invasion of Ukraine.

[1] https://security.snyk.io/vuln/SNYK-JS-NODEIPC-2426370
Activity: 22
Merit: 7
big thanks vv181!
but how can i increase my inbound connections on my umbrel node?

Code:
"connections": 11,
  "connections_in": 1,
  "connections_out": 10,
Wink

I suspect the only inbound connection you got is coming from Electrs, you can verify it using bitcoin-cli getpeerinfo and search "subver": "electrs",

At least, that is the issue I also encounter on my Raspibolt node, which I suppose Umbrel does only run over Tor connection. It usually happens because I got a bad internet connection, and it is usually fixed by just restarting the Tor service. After that, I leave it half an hour or just a couple of hours, and then the node usually got the inbound connections back.

I don't know for sure about your node, but you can also try to restart the Tor service if you want:
Code:
cd ~/umbrel && docker-compose restart tor

hi, how many inbound connections after you restart the Tor?
legendary
Cashback 15%
umbrel has released a new version today.
the 0.4.15 includes a few updates to the already available apps and also 3 new apps jam, snowflake and bleskomat

Yep, you heard it right. @joinmarket is finally here — and with a beautiful, simple UI of new the Jam app.
Increase the privacy of your Bitcoin with CoinJoin transactions, or earn a yield by making your Bitcoin available to CoinJoin with others without giving up custody.🔥

By simply running Snowflake Tor Proxy on your Umbrel, you can help Ukrainian and Russian journalists, activists, and civilians connect to an uncensored internet via @torproject and bypass Russia's Tor censorship. It's easy and extremely impactful. 💪

With the new Bleskomat Server app, you can connect a @bleskomat Bitcoin & Lightning ATM directly to the Lightning node on your Umbrel.⚡
https://twitter.com/getumbrel/status/1498665787523231744
legendary
Cashback 15%
February 22, 2022, 01:54:05 PM
as you have already seen and read here👉https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.59271490, i have installed 2 rpi 4 in my triton case ... on the one runs the umbrel full node and what should be operated on the second rpi 4, i am still undecided and would like to read from you a few suggestions and opinions...
what would be in mind that i already run 2 full nodes on the second rpi 4 useful to install and start?
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 19, 2022, 10:57:58 AM
As @cygan said by default Umbrel is running on TOR and you cannot disable that for now.
You *do not* need to use port forwarding it all just goes through the TOR network for connections to the outside world.

However, you should have more then 1 connection.

-Dave

Are you sure Umbrel with Tor will have many inbound connections?

Not 100% sure since I have tinkered with mine a lot, all I can say is mine DID before I took it offline last month.
Take a look here: https://community.getumbrel.com/t/is-there-a-way-to-increase-the-number-of-peers/5150

You might want to post a question there too and see. The community is active and willing to help.

Side note, before opening ports make sure you understand the security implications of letting ANY inbound traffic into your network.

-Dave
Activity: 22
Merit: 7
February 19, 2022, 10:35:03 AM
Hello, I am a newbie. I am running Bitcoin Core but I can’t get the inbound connections because I can’t open port 8333.
Is this Umbrel no need to open any port and can get the inbound connections?

to have port 8333 enabled, you need to open it in your router... which router do you have?
since the umbrel node runs over the tor network, only one inboud connection is possible here - correct me if this is not the case

I will use a new router soon. I will try to open the port again. However, it is too hard for me.
I will be happy to use Umbrel if I am sure it is receiving many inbound connections (not 1 only as you said) without open port.
Pages:
Jump to: