Pages:
Author

Topic: Understanding the importance of HODLing - CMC 2016 vs 2017 - page 2. (Read 1843 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 101
fLibero.financial
People need to understand that money do not  fall from the sky. The only way to get what you want is through patience and hard work. Holding is more hard work that you can imagine. Development on your holding will surely bring you riches.
Activity: 322
Merit: 100
It would be very interesting to see the comparison chart years after years starting from 2017 until crypto is mass adopted. I believe the trend might change from there on quite drastically.
Activity: 853
Merit: 114
A lot of the times i feel like new, inexperienced traders tend to focus on small short term profits and call it a day instead of looking at the big picture and having patience to wait for a bit before dumping their stash.

Often, that's how you get the most profits.

Altcoins are in full blossom rightn ow, some projects that seem dead will get revived eventually. You just need patience.

and some projects that are fully hyped up right now, will no longer exist in a few years. perhaps some of the devs will even own lambos  Grin
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
A lot of the times i feel like new, inexperienced traders tend to focus on small short term profits and call it a day instead of looking at the big picture and having patience to wait for a bit before dumping their stash.

Often, that's how you get the most profits.

Altcoins are in full blossom rightn ow, some projects that seem dead will get revived eventually. You just need patience.
Activity: 330
Merit: 123
This is what's new investors need to know and maybe read and try to understand, holding bitcoin in a long run gives a higher chance of good earnings and if you have many investment this can possibly a way to make you a big person in the future, it is true that investing in bitcoin can make you rich if you know how to handle them wisely. I'm glad I already start investing this year the price when I buy bitcoin is only $3000 and it really a good pump now.

I also consider myself late to the party and only got in this June/July around $2700 / BTC.  Anyhow, this is a party I'm definitely pleased as punch to arrive at (albeit a tad late..).
Activity: 266
Merit: 111
This is what's new investors need to know and maybe read and try to understand, holding bitcoin in a long run gives a higher chance of good earnings and if you have many investment this can possibly a way to make you a big person in the future, it is true that investing in bitcoin can make you rich if you know how to handle them wisely. I'm glad I already start investing this year the price when I buy bitcoin is only $3000 and it really a good pump now.
Activity: 672
Merit: 251
Most trade way too much. If they picked a bunch of solid projects and then forgot about them for a couple of years im sure 90% of traders would make more money than they do thinking they are Gordon Gecko from their parents basement and trading daily.
copper member
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Hodling stays for holding, it got written long in an Internetblog which the
Well, but I also remember the bear market which started in 2014 and which lasted a few years. Bitcoin was 1000$ in early 2014 and it went down 80% and it took until 2017 to climb back to 1000$ and to overtake it. So if you are seeing this amazing capitalization of 2017, nothing forbids that next year it may again retrace 80% lower. So if you are in hodl mood, you must be ready to hodl for many tears.

Based on the latest trend, it won't be happening again. Of course it will go down but it will not go down as low as 80% less. People become more educated about its importance and if you really believe in bitcoin, you won't sell it that low. And as far as I know, the 2014 dips was caused by China and most of the dips are because of FUD coming from China's statements. But see how people react. The dips are just for a short while. It didn't continue for many months.

Very much agree with Xianbits.  I am not expecting things to keep going up at astronomical rates indefinitely, and a lot of alt-bubbles will pop along the way, but now the technology behind blockchain and cryptocurrencies in general is a lot better understood than 2014-2015. They have proven themselves over the past years and now people are beginning to realize that these are not just guys making digital monopoly money, but they can actually be useful and change the world in more ways than they ever expected (ofcourse this is a cause for concern and fear too).  But I don't think an 80% retracement and lagging momentum for extended period is foreseeable going ahead.
Activity: 910
Merit: 257
Well, but I also remember the bear market which started in 2014 and which lasted a few years. Bitcoin was 1000$ in early 2014 and it went down 80% and it took until 2017 to climb back to 1000$ and to overtake it. So if you are seeing this amazing capitalization of 2017, nothing forbids that next year it may again retrace 80% lower. So if you are in hodl mood, you must be ready to hodl for many tears.
Based on the latest trend, it won't be happening again. Of course it will go down but it will not go down as low as 80% less. People become more educated about its importance and if you really believe in bitcoin, you won't sell it that low. And as far as I know, the 2014 dips was caused by China and most of the dips are because of FUD coming from China's statements. But see how people react. The dips are just for a short while. It didn't continue for many months.
Activity: 987
Merit: 289
Blue0x.com
Damn, should've HODL more or bought more when i cashed out. Damn it. I would've had a lot of profit if i decided to hidl more. Tss :/ hate this personality that wants to see profits fast. I decided to cashe out when i saw the aimed profit and traded some of the profit, while invested some on promising ICOs. And bought back with the capital i had. Tss.. oh well, profit is profit, at least i didn't lose my investment and made even a lot more investments.
Activity: 340
What a year it has been indeed. If I can remember, it was in those months between April and July when it all started. All the coins got pumped for no reason, even coins that were abandoned, there was a huge flux of newcomers and new money coming daily.

I believe we will have some more runs like those when crypto really goes mainstream.

indeed, i believe we will see the hedge funders start stepping in the coming months in droves, like zombies starved of blood (read fund managers starved of returns).
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
What a year it has been indeed. If I can remember, it was in those months between April and July when it all started. All the coins got pumped for no reason, even coins that were abandoned, there was a huge flux of newcomers and new money coming daily.

I believe we will have some more runs like those when crypto really goes mainstream.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
some ico's are there for a quick flip but the real gems are ones to hodl
Great point. But let' not forget that BTC also dropped from $1200 to $200 ish and stayed in that range for a long long while. It's very easy to make a one year side by side comparison when that year had been EXCEPTIONALLY good (and unusual) for the crypto short history.
Let's also not forget that at that time bitcoin was nothing. He had no distribution and the particular application. Now the situation is completely different. It integrates global companies and used to pay for goods and services + now in the world of great political instability and people are buying bitcoin.
Agree, the world is becoming increasingly unstable, geopolitical and financial control structures are changing.  And along come cryptos at what could not have been a more suited time, as a proof based alternative.  Don't think you need Einstein's wisdom to see the logic in that.  I am not saying bitcoin and others will grow 10x per year for the next 5 years, but they will definitely grow at a faster pace than other so called financial assets.
Activity: 770
Merit: 101
fLibero.financial
Numbers don't lie. Pre 2016 was turbulent though. There were many ups and down in the crypto! And those people who hold on to bitcoin  through it all are the legend in crypto world! Can you imagine if everyone gave it all up we will not have hard valuable bitcoin we have today!
This is a great example as it does reduce my natural scepticism of altcoins and shows the top tier to be more stable than I expected in terms of continued presence, but I wonder at what point in the charts you start to see 50+% of the coins lose money over a year?

at all points in the chart.   if you actually choose poor coins with dubious devs or no real concrete roadmap, they have their own chart which usually looks like a quick pump and dump leading to a painfully slow coma (with pumpy blips along the way).  Good strong names, I believe have a good and strong future.  No doubt corrections will happen and this market is more volatile than any other, but we are long term HODLers, no?  If that is indeed the case, a 30-40% dip in a few weeks/months is quite meaningless if we are looking at a few X return in a few years.  Keep things in perspective and HODL.

another point i would like to bring up is that of Ethereum who's price has just flown since January. I believe the main reason is that so many ERC20 tokens are coming out, with the latest wave of e-tokens (ebtc, eltc, edgoge, emydogsname, etc). Most of these are get rich quick schemes by the devs, several have contract flaws in them. These are today collectively worth a few hundred million if not a few billion dollars in real money.  This is a bubble waiting to pop and just needs a trigger (regulation would most likely be it). Personally I believe this will strongly affect the price of Ether and expose several vulnerabilities in the platform. At what point in time this will happen is anyone's guess but I believe we can see the bubble expand to a Collective Market Cap of over a trillion USD before she's ready to pop!
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
This is a great example as it does reduce my natural scepticism of altcoins and shows the top tier to be more stable than I expected in terms of continued presence, but I wonder at what point in the charts you start to see 50+% of the coins lose money over a year?
Activity: 490
Like they say! One picture is worth more than a thousand words! In this case the picture posted and the crazy number difference from both picture is worth more than a 10million words to me! Dismissing something that can practically change your lives may be the worst things anyone can do to himself!
Pages:
Jump to: