Pages:
Author

Topic: (Updated w/ pics) Watercooled Rack of Servers - 50% completed - page 2. (Read 10536 times)

donator
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
I'm doing exactly what you said.
I lost a card a few months ago to condensation. I wasn't home and the Internet went out. The cards got very cold and condensation happened. The lost card was using an XSPC block, all EKs were OK. For this I try to no longer use XSPC, they sure have a condensation problem.

It comes from the river, it goes to the river. I believe is better than to run the air conditioner non-stop.

brilliant idea, really   Roll Eyes

According to Nature (2010), about 80% of the world's population (5.6 billion in 2011) live in areas with threats to water security.

How do you deal with the condensation?  Faucet water is much colder than ambient temps

I am not saying he is doing this but with a heat exchanger you can make the GPU loop any temp you want.  Keep GPU loop's flow fixed and adjust the cold side loop (the cold water -> heat exchanger -> drain) flow so that it pulls enough heat from the hot side (GPU loop) to cool it down but keep it above ambient.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
he still needs pump and reservoir, just not radiator as the heat exchanger is the "radiator"
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
I'm super jelly that he can just use fresh cold tap water to cool everything instead of us normal people that need to screw around with a radiator, a pump, and a reservoir. Must be soooooo nice having free water. Dont even need air conditioning! All the heat goes down the drain!
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
It comes from the river, it goes to the river. I believe is better than to run the air conditioner non-stop.

According to Nature (2010), about 80% of the world's population (5.6 billion in 2011) live in areas with threats to water security.

How do you deal with the condensation?  Faucet water is much colder than ambient temps

I am not saying he is doing this but with a heat exchanger you can make the GPU loop any temp you want.  Keep GPU loop's flow fixed and adjust the cold side loop (the cold water -> heat exchanger -> drain) flow so that it pulls enough heat from the hot side (GPU loop) to cool it down but keep it above ambient.
Activity: 369
Merit: 250

brilliant idea, really   Roll Eyes

donator

brilliant idea, really   Roll Eyes

yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

donator
Yes, luckily I have free water.

Yes, I do.

You just run the tap water all the time?  Shocked

I guess you have free (or flat rate) water?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Yes, I do.

You just run the tap water all the time?  Shocked

I guess you have free (or flat rate) water?
donator
Yes, I do.

You just run the tap water all the time?  Shocked
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
You just run the tap water all the time?  Shocked
donator
Just cold water. Here is a pic:
www.mycpu.ca/Ebay/IMG_4327.JPG

Hi,
I have a similar setup, with 12 cards (9 5970 and 4 5870) working flowlessly for about 1 year.  The diferrence is that I ran them in series. I'm using a Koolance heat exchanger connected to the cold water line. Will soon add 5 more cards.

Just to clarify Ciuciu, is your exchanger right b4 the water heater?  (preheating) or you just use cold line to cool the loop?

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Please enlighten me on this simple theory.  Why does the resistance not cause more pressure on one side when the fluid is being pumped through a restriction?  Surely you can explain such a simple theory to someone with a degree in math from an engineering school.

I'm sorry i didnt know its the forum tradition to flash your degree when there is an argument. What is an engineering school btw? is it a school that teaches engineers?

You understand the differences of pressure loss and negative pressure? Can you tell me what is a negative pressure?

I told you I didn't know and ask you to teach me.  Instead you just act like an ass.  Good job.  I wasn't flashing my degree, just trying to show I have the ability to understand so you won't be wasting your time.  But whatever, now that I know positive pressure vs. negative pressure is not the same as high pressure vs. low pressure I can probably do my own research.  Way to turn a simple misunderstanding of terminology into a "You're such an idiot" post.  Ass.

Good now we're on the same page.  Now you understand why its wrong to say " negative and positive pressure" on either side of the waterblock.

The poster i originally responded to already clarified his loop has non full reservoir. As for "complex equation" you can bet i dont need it.

Ah ok.  I thought the debate was about negative pressure in the whole system o.o

It was, i assumed the system without reservoir. However, mr degree flasher came in with a silly talk.

If you want to create a negative sealed system, you have to heat up the liquid (say 50c) prior sealing. The inline pump inside the loop cant pressurize the loop itself.

or use an overflow valve after stress testing your cards Cheesy
Activity: 658

Good now we're on the same page.  Now you understand why its wrong to say " negative and positive pressure" on either side of the waterblock.

The poster i originally responded to already clarified his loop has non full reservoir. As for "complex equation" you can bet i dont need it.

Ah ok.  I thought the debate was about negative pressure in the whole system o.o

It was, i assumed the system without reservoir. However, mr degree flasher came in with a silly talk.

If you want to create a negative sealed system, you have to heat up the liquid (say 50c) prior sealing. The inline pump inside the loop cant pressurize the loop itself.

Hi,
I have a similar setup, with 12 cards (9 5970 and 4 5870) working flowlessly for about 1 year.  The diferrence is that I ran them in series. I'm using a Koolance heat exchanger connected to the cold water line. Will soon add 5 more cards.

Just to clarify Ciuciu, is your exchanger right b4 the water heater?  (preheating) or you just use cold line to cool the loop?

Amazing temp ! Now i'm tempted to do mine. With multiple exchangers, i cant wait to see how it works out.

I use no radiator.

Gotcha.
What do you use for the radiator?

The cards are in series. I have only one heat exchanger.
http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=54_119&product_id=944

Hi,

Running those plate exchangers in series? or the GPU block?

Because the former would ABSOLUTELY kill the pressure. I dont think thats good for the water heater at all.

I'm cheap so i will try to make those exchanger myselft.. Tongue yeah i know. Its the same parallel channels design. But i'm thinking of having at least 5 of them in parallel loops.

donator
I use no radiator.

Gotcha.
What do you use for the radiator?

The cards are in series. I have only one heat exchanger.
http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=54_119&product_id=944

Hi,

Running those plate exchangers in series? or the GPU block?

Because the former would ABSOLUTELY kill the pressure. I dont think thats good for the water heater at all.

I'm cheap so i will try to make those exchanger myselft.. Tongue yeah i know. Its the same parallel channels design. But i'm thinking of having at least 5 of them in parallel loops.

When a high pressure and low pressure area being connected, the system will equalize itself by the fluid flow from one to another.

Negative or positive pressure doesnt mean low or high pressure.

"The term "negative pressure" is used in physics and engineering to refer to a situation in which an enclosed area has lower pressure than the area around it. Any compromise in the divide between the area of negative pressure and the more highly pressurized area around it would cause substances to flow into the area of negative pressure."

Please, humor me.

Is your waterblock an enclosed area?

It is not, however, you cannot simplify a liquid cooling system into a closed loop.  The reservoir contains a less dense fluid, "air" which compresses with less energy than the water.  This allows for a vibration model to be made due to the pauses in rotation by the induction pump. (4 per 2 radians?)  This creates a dampened oscillation, reinforced by the motor.  In turn there is a negative pressure in the reservoir with respect to the pump.

This can be solved by a long and complex differential equation, which I really don't feel like doing.

For more information on this, look up Bernoulli's principle
Pages:
Jump to: