Pages:
Author

Topic: (Updated w/ pics) Watercooled Rack of Servers - 50% completed - page 4. (Read 10536 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
I have a high pressure pump on my LC rig, and I found that when a tiny leak appeared, I lost the card. I shifted the pump to after the cards, thus creating a negative pressure where the cards were. Now if a leak were to occur, I'd simply be suckin in air, rather than forcing out coolant.

That may be a good idea.  Cetrifugal pumps tend to have poor suction so if a small leak did develop the flow would drop way down once enough air is sucked into the system and that would trip the flow sensor shutting everything down.  I might need to think about moving the pump.

A shutdown sure beats a fried card.

Need and water blocks for 5870's?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I have a high pressure pump on my LC rig, and I found that when a tiny leak appeared, I lost the card. I shifted the pump to after the cards, thus creating a negative pressure where the cards were. Now if a leak were to occur, I'd simply be suckin in air, rather than forcing out coolant.

That may be a good idea.  Cetrifugal pumps tend to have poor suction so if a small leak did develop the flow would drop way down once enough air is sucked into the system and that would trip the flow sensor shutting everything down.  I might need to think about moving the pump.
legendary
Activity: 1274
donator
Gerald Davis
In a closed up, that wont work well at all.

A simple solution is to have a by pass valve.

I would even use manual by pass valve : use both radiator and exchanger during the day, and only use radiator over night.

Why wouldn't it work well?  I have already tested it. 

Cold side has 60F flowing @ 2 gpm.  Hot side has 140F water flowing @ 10 gpm.  More than enough Delta T.

Remember this is a hot water PRE-heater  The cold side has cold inlet water.  The hotside transfers heat to the water BEFORE it goes into hot water heater tank.  IF water isn't flowing there is no heat transfer.

Not sure what by pass valve and only using radiator over night would accomplish.

donator
Gerald Davis
Let's say you preheat your water. You got 6kw of constant heat coming. Your water boiler doesn't heat the water constantly but just when it's temperature drops below a certain limit(when you use water). What happens to your excess heat? You don't plan on leaving your tap water running do you? Tongue

I guess it needs some kind of fancy temperature controlled bypass valve.

gpu loop ----> water 2 water heat exchanger ----> radiator ---> back to gpu loop

whatever heat isn't dumped into cold line of hot water heater is dumped into radiator.  Dumping the energy into hot water heater isn't necessary for cooling, I sized the radiator to handle 6 KW of heat even in 100F ambient temps.  However it is "free" energy.  Given the choice between heating the outside air or heating my hot water (and saving $300 per year)  will take the later. Smiley
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
Let's say you preheat your water. You got 6kw of constant heat coming. Your water boiler doesn't heat the water constantly but just when it's temperature drops below a certain limit(when you use water). What happens to your excess heat? You don't plan on leaving your tap water running do you? Tongue

I guess it needs some kind of fancy temperature controlled bypass valve.
donator
Gerald Davis
When you exchange the heat into you warm water for your house you can make your rigs more efficient. This is what i am planning to do with the heat of my serverroom.... in germany its called luft-wärme-pumpe... in english it could be air-heat-exchanger (or something similar). your efficiency is even higher if you can exchange the heat of water to water....

Yeah that is the goal once this is done and stable.  A water-water heat exchanger to preheat the cold water line of hot water heater. 
donator
Gerald Davis
Given the can of motor oil on the shelf, I assume this is in your garage?

Yeah.

Any plans for a backup pump or will you just do software throttling?

No plans for backup pump at this point.  I have the ability to cut power to the rigs (the reason among others for the watchdog server).  I intend to install both a current transformer and flow meter.  In a pump failure situation the relay board in the watchdog server will trip power on all 6 rigs.

cgminer is already set to do software throttling (reduce clock @ 60C, idle thread @ 70C) but the "power kill" provides a further layer of protection.  It likely isn't necessary but it does buy some piece of mind when you go $4K worth of GPU relying of coolant.

This weekend I intend to waterblock some/all of the last 12 GPUs.  God I am not looking forward to that. Sad
Activity: 111
When you exchange the heat into you warm water for your house you can make your rigs more efficient. This is what i am planning to do with the heat of my serverroom.... in germany its called luft-wärme-pumpe... in english it could be air-heat-exchanger (or something similar). your efficiency is even higher if you can exchange the heat of water to water....
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
I just wonder what kind of scores would both of yours (dt & rjk) rigs do folding. Top 10?
Aha, I doubt it. Folding uses CPUs and Nvidia hardware, which are no good for mining. Mining hardware is AMD, and I doubt that it would fold vary well, although I don't know a whole lot about the folding scene.
donator
Activity: 362
Given the can of motor oil on the shelf, I assume this is in your garage?

It's looking great.  Any plans for a backup pump or will you just do software throttling?
Heh that beast of yours do deserve watercooling. It would be the most epic watercooling rig ever. I'd say if you play your cards right you might be able to get somebody sponsor those blocks for you rjk  Cool I bet it could get a lot of coverage on IT-media.
I just wonder what kind of scores would both of yours (dt & rjk) rigs do folding. Top 10?

Car radiator fan is probably not designed for continuous use. I'd say go for the workspace fan.
rjk
1ngldh
Updated first post w/ more pics & details.
Very nice. I just have been re-pasting my cards (because I had to remove the heatsinks in order to take the plastic bits off), and I can only imagine what hell it is to do so many. I've been keeping the same old thermal tape and pads, but even then I can only do 2 at a time before getting frustrated and having to take a break. Have done a dozen so far.

Maybe if/when you switch to 7990s I will be able to buy your 5970s with the blocks already applied to stuff in my rig. Grin Wonder how much they will be worth then.
donator
Gerald Davis
Updated first post w/ more pics & details.
I wonder why haven't these php forum coders thought about this multi timezone operation. Everyone probably do set the timezone on their profile so it wouldn't be too difficult to show it in posts with the user info on the left. Most regional forums do just fine without it but Bitcointalk is hardly regional.

Edit: okay my bad. It does show if you check users profiles but that's a chore.
donator
Gerald Davis
Sorry guys.  By midnight EST.  Guess I should have been more specific.
rjk
1ngldh
How about wait for evening EST?  Tongue
That would be now... Wink
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
How about wait for evening EST?  Tongue
You know "this evening" is pretty useless without specifying a timezone. For me(gmt+2) "evening" was technically several hours ago  Tongue
donator
Gerald Davis
Looking good so far. Do you have any pics of the other end of your watercooling setup?

Yeah should be up this evening.
Pages:
Jump to: