Pages:
Author

Topic: Urgent! Need to raise ~$1,200 USD in 24 hrs for South Pole expedition. - page 3. (Read 15380 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Well, I have to say it's not as bad as it could have been.  Hopefully the Bitcoin symbol or name are at least visible in one photo.  Good job.
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
The funds were raised, and are now moved to cold storage: https://blockchain.info/address/1K9XBn8Sur9tNAm7vUTeZr9JH8wC5Kdu3G

Frankros of Reddit presented the Bitcoin flag to Faysal.

I've apologized to Thorkil.

~TMIBITW

Awesome job all.  I must say that our community has been scammed a great deal and defenders with skeptical inquiries will always be needed; we're a motley crew and we all do our best. In time, we'll all get more used to expecting / using the awesome transparency that Bitcoin provides.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
The funds were raised, and are now moved to cold storage: https://blockchain.info/address/1K9XBn8Sur9tNAm7vUTeZr9JH8wC5Kdu3G

Frankros of Reddit presented the Bitcoin flag to Faysal.

I've apologized to Thorkil.

~TMIBITW
ar9
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
Just want to say... this is awesome! Cheesy
donator
Flag dimensions?  Hard trip. Mustn't be too big.
donator
Activity: 784
Any news about the delivery of the flag?
Btw, if there is no time for delivery, i guess the flag can be printed right there in Capetown. Just ask bellboy at the hotel to find print-on-tshirt service nearby, pay him well and the flag will be done in a hour.

Just hi-res bitcoin logo printed on a white fabric would be fine.

https://www.google.com/#q=cape+town+print+t+shirt

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Yeah, a QR code looks nice and modern, although if it's on a flag rippling in the breeze, it's doubtful anyone will be able to scan it from a photo of our doughty adventurer standing next to it.

Moon flag protocol variant: hold the corners of the flag steady.
Activity: 247
Cosmic Cubist
Id do something like this:

Just make sure the qr links to bitcoin.org

Yeah, a QR code looks nice and modern, although if it's on a flag rippling in the breeze, it's doubtful anyone will be able to scan it from a photo of our doughty adventurer standing next to it.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
Id do something like this:

Just make sure the qr links to bitcoin.org
Activity: 336
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
Well, one could say that Bitcoin is de facto already a sort of virtual nation; one whose citizens (nodes) "vote" (on which protocol upgrades to adopt), and one that has sovereign authority over, not a geographic region of land, but another asset - the blockchain, and the Bitcoin network as a whole.  

Good point. Bitcoin allows me to REALLY vote.
First vote was when I spent my first BTC.
Everything before was a mascarade. Smiley

I voted for this guy reaching south pole and trying to push a BTC tx from there. Really hope he makes it.
donator
Busy in the hospital at the moment. What we have here are simple cultural differences (computer culture differences as well as geographic ones). It takes a little not-so-obvious work to fully utilize the transparency that Bitcoin affords. I don't fault anyone for not following what seems like standard operating procedure to many of us in the community.

Misunderstandings like this are to be expected with such a new technology. That said, I think we all should thank Thorkill/Sirius money for sponsoring this rather brilliant campaign.

Does anyone remember when John Matonis's Twitter account was hacked and started asking for donations? Stuff like this is going to keep happening until we all, as a community, come up with some best practice guidelines. I will be working with the Bitcoin foundation with input from members here to devise some guidelines for journalists and fundraisers.

Cosmic Cubist

Plus, I want bitcoins to kill banks, and don't really fancy being part of a "nation".

How about no flag?
Or if a flag, one with just a tiny btc logo on upper left corner?

Seriously, fuck nations, fuck flags, and kudos to people ordering a pizza from south pole using bitcoins.

Well, one could say that Bitcoin is de facto already a sort of virtual nation; one whose citizens (nodes) "vote" (on which protocol upgrades to adopt), and one that has sovereign authority over, not a geographic region of land, but another asset - the blockchain, and the Bitcoin network as a whole.  
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Bitcoin logo inside QR-encoded URL? Error correction should allow it to be decoded even in a shitty picture.
Activity: 336
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
Here is my flag design:

Link to 3'x2' poster (PowerPoint and PDF):

http://ta.gd/BitcoinFlag

My intention is not to hurt your feelings, but frankly that looks like shit.

Keep in mind that this flag will be photographed and likely used in various online news and articles.
There is no purpose to have anything besides the BTC logo itself. Dont fuck this up with silly latin phrases or jokes.

Plus, I want bitcoins to kill banks, and don't really fancy being part of a "nation".

How about no flag?
Or if a flag, one all white, with just a tiny btc logo on upper left corner?

Seriously, fuck nations, fuck flags, and kudos to people ordering a pizza from south pole using bitcoins.

Cosmic Cubist

Vires IN Numeris ?

Well, when I first translated "strength in numbers" to Latin in Google translate, it said "fortitudine et numero", so maybe "et" works also, but anyway, I've changed it to "in."
Cosmic Cubist
Here is my flag design:

My intention is not to hurt your feelings, but frankly that looks like shit.

Keep in mind that this flag will be photographed and likely used in various online news and articles.
There is no purpose to have anything besides the BTC logo itself. Dont fuck this up with silly latin phrases or jokes.

Well, feel free to edit it.  The logo by itself is not enough for a photo op - people can't Google it to learn more.
legendary
Activity: 1099
Here is my flag design:

Vires IN Numeris ?
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040
Darn. Couldnt we have had a flag saying something like "Hell froze over and I am still waiting for my BFL order".
Cosmic Cubist
Here is a flag design I made:  (Note: This is NOT the one being delivered to the South Pole; another design, which I haven't seen, was apparently already chosen before I made this.)

Activity: 406
Merit: 286
Neptune, Scalable Privacy
Donated a bit and tagged the address  Wink
Public Note: WE LOVE POLAKS!

Thanks. Cool.
Pages:
Jump to: