Pages:
Author

Topic: US BITCOIN REGULATION "FOR" or "AGAINST" - page 8. (Read 6257 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
So like realators, I'd rather see the truly clueless get burned and lose their money, than see mature adults told who they should and should not be allowed to trust. Any democratic government can never be smarter than the average voter, so democratic paternalism cannot be justified.

Agreed. Also, then people would not have an excuse if they get fooled. They would actually need to look after themselves. *shock*
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
I agree that it would be very difficult for the U.S gov to regulate BTC, what I do believe they could do however is make it annoying for U.S users to use bitcoins.
Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
I'm from the USA, and I voted against.

Regulations are most often created to do one of two things:
1) protect the public from unscrupulous actors
2) protect entrenched interest

So it depends.  Regulations written by lobbyists to promote a specific agenda should never exist, but they do.  Many core regulations like "a real estate agent needs a license" are important to protect the public.
I think these "protect you from yourself" regulations are paternalistic. For example with real estate agents: if I can buy and sell a house completely on my own, why shouldn't I be allowed to pick my own middleman? It even feels somewhat insulting, to think that I can't just look for an agent with good reviews on the web, or trust a friend who got a good price on his own house. Did you know that the average real estate agent lists their own homes for longer than they list their clients' homes?

As for Bitcoin, I think it solves the problem of people who think they're helping, so they use violence to enforce what they think is the right decision. There's so much power behind money that the ability to control it all will always fall into the wrong hands.

So like realators, I'd rather see the truly clueless get burned and lose their money, than see mature adults told who they should and should not be allowed to trust. Any democratic government can never be smarter than the average voter, so democratic paternalism cannot be justified.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
Germany, and against, as technically at the end of the day, regulation is impossible. Try to regulate crypto-currency A, illicit activities will migrate to crypto-currency B. Regulate crypto-currency B, illicit activities will migrate to crypto-currency C.
I'm not a proponent of countries. I consider myself a world citizen.

I also don't like people deciding stuff over my head, and that also goes for regulation of bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
No, the free market brought the Ponzi scheme.  We need protection against that type of bad actor.

Is there any reason that customers could not conduct their own  due diligence ? Do we need a big brother that watch over our back ?

two things to remember. the US dollar its trademanrked and patented by the government. its their property. so they have a right to control who uses it. bitcoin is not owned by government. they have no right to control it.

secondly in a great utopia the world would work perfectly where each person does their own personal due dilegence. but some people are easily trusting. i am against one entity controlling it all. but if we all work together and 'scam tag' obvious threats to help each other, that is the closest to uptopia we will get. without having a single entity of control
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
No, the free market brought the Ponzi scheme.  We need protection against that type of bad actor.

Is there any reason that customers could not conduct their own  due diligence ? Do we need a big brother that watch over our back ?

I'll dig up some info about how Ponzi took advantage of unsophisticated investors....

edit:
While regulators don't always catch criminals until they have already done the damage Charles Ponzi is the reason we have monetary regulations.  Even the most sophisticated investors in the world didn't recognize the madoff Ponzi scheme.

http://www.sec.gov/answers/ponzi.htm

In short, no, the general public is not capable of understanding securities and investment. 

Is there any reason that customers could not conduct their own  due diligence ? Do we need a big brother that watch over our back ?
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
US
and
REGULATION

have never ever done well together...

legendary
U.S, against

US cant/wont regulate bitcoin. please read the other dozen threads on the matter. all the US government can control are the gateways in and out of bitcoin and US Dollar. because they can only control the dollar side.

if i opened a UK Pound exchange for Euro's - US government cant touch me
if i opened a UK Pound exchange for bitcoins's - US government cant touch me

the US can only control the US dollar touching exchanges.

now relax, chill out and realise that even a nuclear bomb can't stop bitcoin.

How about mass power outages?  Grin

Serious question though, doesn't the U.S gov have some sort of legal "power" to interfere with your exchange if U.S citizens are using it whether its in Euros, Pounds, or pebbles? I mean, I'd love to see all exchanges get around U.S intervention by just making everyone trade in BTC > Euro. If that was the case, I believe I'd be holding more euros than USD.

ok ismeal lets take this on..

saving all the long waffle i normally write:
only if they can show that US dollars were converted into the funds held on the exchange.

i personally dont mind US government regulating exchanges that deal with FIAT.. as long as they dont try regulating bitcoin itself. because fiat is government property. bitcoin is not
Serious question though, doesn't the U.S gov have some sort of legal "power" to interfere with your exchange if U.S citizens are using it whether its in Euros, Pounds, or pebbles?

Not only the power but the obligation.  If you want to exchange a stored value commodity with the American public you need to raise at least $20 million in assets to get through the commerce department requirements alone.  Exchanging commodities with the public through an exchange is a highly regulated activity specifically because of C. Ponzi and his scheme.

Ultimately I would say i'm against regulations of any kind with bitcoin... but honestly i guess i would depend on the content and context of those regulations.  Not ALL regulations are bad things.

So it depends.  Regulations written by lobbyists to promote a specific agenda should never exist, but they do.  Many core regulations like "a real estate agent needs a license" are important to protect the public.  I elected not to vote because the world is not as simple as the OPs poll indicates.

Wouldn't the free market work better. Those running good business would receive customers, and those exploiting customers would lose customers ?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
U.S, against

US cant/wont regulate bitcoin. please read the other dozen threads on the matter. all the US government can control are the gateways in and out of bitcoin and US Dollar. because they can only control the dollar side.

if i opened a UK Pound exchange for Euro's - US government cant touch me
if i opened a UK Pound exchange for bitcoins's - US government cant touch me

the US can only control the US dollar touching exchanges.

now relax, chill out and realise that even a nuclear bomb can't stop bitcoin.

How about mass power outages?  Grin

Serious question though, doesn't the U.S gov have some sort of legal "power" to interfere with your exchange if U.S citizens are using it whether its in Euros, Pounds, or pebbles? I mean, I'd love to see all exchanges get around U.S intervention by just making everyone trade in BTC > Euro. If that was the case, I believe I'd be holding more euros than USD. I'm just worried that all BTC exchanges and such will blacklist all U.S members so they can stay operational.
Ultimately I would say i'm against regulations of any kind with bitcoin... but honestly i guess i would depend on the content and context of those regulations.  Not ALL regulations are bad things.

So it depends.  Regulations written by lobbyists to promote a specific agenda should never exist, but they do.  Many core regulations like "a real estate agent needs a license" are important to protect the public.  I elected not to vote because the world is not as simple as the OPs poll indicates.
Activity: 215
Merit: 105
Poorer than I ought to be
USA

F regulations...  all of them
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
Australia, against.
legendary
regulation can mean a lot of things.
I'm not for regulations that the US bitcoin community doesn't support.
perhaps some regulations in bitcoin could be a helpful thing in protecting a party from theft.

Ultimately I would say i'm against regulations of any kind with bitcoin... but honestly i guess i would
depend on the content and context of those regulations.
Not ALL regulations are bad things.
I guess it just depends on who's doing the regulating Tongue

maybe adopting a moral compass and basic bitcoin security tutorials would do the bitcoin more benefits then allowing government control. that way each person self regulates by voting with their feet when they see a dodgy exchange hidden behind tor IP's and go-daddy registration information. and where the CEO of an exchange never makes himself publicly known
Activity: 25
United States will never ban bitcoin because no one will listen! That would be like prohibition all over again.

Doubt the government wants to fight another loosing war of prohibition.

What are you talking about? Government is all about fighting losing wars.

ps. I DONT VOTE.
Activity: 43
regulation can mean a lot of things.
I'm not for regulations that the US bitcoin community doesn't support.
perhaps some regulations in bitcoin could be a helpful thing in protecting a party from theft.

Ultimately I would say i'm against regulations of any kind with bitcoin... but honestly i guess i would
depend on the content and context of those regulations.
Not ALL regulations are bad things.
I guess it just depends on who's doing the regulating Tongue
Activity: 532
United States will never ban bitcoin because no one will listen! That would be like prohibition all over again.

Doubt the government wants to fight another loosing war of prohibition.
Pages:
Jump to: