Pages:
Author

Topic: US National Debt / Deficit - How does it end? - page 4. (Read 9021 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
And once again we come to the GDP calculating principle which clearly defines how government spending contributes to the economic output.
If the government spends an additional dollar then $1 is added to GDP. If as a result of the additional borrowing the government needs to borrow as a result of this additional $1 in spending the private sector will spend (lets say) $0.01 less, therefore GDP would decline by $0.01. The net effect in this scenario is that government spending goes up by $1.00 but GDP only goes up by $0.99.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009
When the government spends an additional dollar, the private sector will spend some amount less. The reason for this is because when the government borrows money the private sector will need to lend to it. US government debt is generally considered to be near risk free, and can be used as collateral for loans at almost 100% of it's value. Since the private sector can not borrow 100% of the value of government debt, the amount below 100% that cannot be borrowed against is the amount of lower economic output due to additional government spending.
I think I'm kinda confused. Do you want to say that when government spends additional dollar, the economic output effectively decreases?

Not to say that it's not private sector that needs to lend to the gov't, it's the gov't that issues debt so that private sector can easily net save.
I would argue that when the government spends an additional dollar the private sector will spend a little bit less (at first well under a penny, but if government spends gets to high enough levels it will increase). Therefore when the government spends an additional dollar the total economy increases by less then one dollar.
And once again we come to the GDP calculating principle which clearly defines how government spending contributes to the economic output.
Activity: 374
Merit: 250
When the government spends an additional dollar, the private sector will spend some amount less. The reason for this is because when the government borrows money the private sector will need to lend to it. US government debt is generally considered to be near risk free, and can be used as collateral for loans at almost 100% of it's value. Since the private sector can not borrow 100% of the value of government debt, the amount below 100% that cannot be borrowed against is the amount of lower economic output due to additional government spending.
I think I'm kinda confused. Do you want to say that when government spends additional dollar, the economic output effectively decreases?

Not to say that it's not private sector that needs to lend to the gov't, it's the gov't that issues debt so that private sector can easily net save.
I would argue that when the government spends an additional dollar the private sector will spend a little bit less (at first well under a penny, but if government spends gets to high enough levels it will increase). Therefore when the government spends an additional dollar the total economy increases by less then one dollar.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
It's very simple.

1. Do nothing...stick your fingers in your ears....pray to the lord.
The economic will collapse.

2. Create money to pay off the debt and at the same time a massive wealth tax on those with too much dosh......the money created to pay off the debt will incur a massive tax and that tax money will be destroyed......this will prevent hyper-inflation.
Activity: 308
I think that when government spending is at lower, "normal" levels then an additional dollar of government spending will cause overall private spending to decrease very little, if anything at all. However as government spending increases to a high percentage of GDP (including spending on interest on debt) then an additional dollar of government spending will cause private spending to decrease by similar amounts (or potentially more then a dollar if government spending is high enough).

Apart from the quantum of spending, we should also look at where the money is going in. If it is just being spent to maintain a bloated bureaucracy and fund some pet projects, then it is effectively going down the drain. On the other hand, if it is being channelled into productive investments, it would have a multiplier effect.
The "multiplier effect" is part of the Keynesian theory of economics and is followed by many liberals. No matter how the government spends each additional dollar it will always create less then one additional dollar in economic output. (The Keynesians actually do not believe that government money needs to be channeled into productive investments).
Let's get your facts straight. Economic output is measured by GDP. Expenditure approach of calculating GDP includes government spending in full, not some percentage. If it's not what you meant, please explain in detail.

In fact what government deficit spending does is taking money from those who don't want to spend and giving them to those who want to, but can't. It's that simple. It creates additional demand economy-wide that otherwise wouldn't be there. Yes, private sector is probably better at investing, but it wouldn't matter is there was no demand.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Usually, with a default. I would diversify real good by the time this approaches.
Activity: 210
Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io
I have a lot of my own thoughts and fears about where the US national debt is leading our nation and the world. I feel like I’ve done enough of my own studying to have a good understanding of what the likely outcome(s) are but want to get some perspective from other well informed individuals here on bitcointalk.

My conclusion is that the US debt is already so out of control that it will just keep rising until we either default on our loans or we enter a period of rapid inflation as we try to pull a Weimar Republic and print our way out of debt. Maybe someone will contradict this conclusion but I think that the majority will agree that the US financial collapse is beyond preventing at this point even if it is for different reasons than my own.

The real area of interest to me is how does this end? I’ve been reading the book “Patriots” which I believe is the darkest possible scenario for a post economic collapse US. The collapse I am more inclined to believe in is that we’ll face hyperinflation for a short period until the deficit is effectively paid off and during this time our economy will become a basket case. Critical services (electricity, police, firemen, most businesses), communication (Internet, TV, newspapers), and our government will continue to function throughout. The chaos will be at its worst for a matter of months. The worst hit will be the poor who depend on services that may fail such as welfare, food stamps, and other entitlements. There will be regional violence but nothing large scale or long lasting. The loss of life due to things relating to the collapse will number in the thousands or maybe tens of thousands but certainly not millions.

What is everyone else’s view on just how this could play out? Or perhaps are there any who believe this sort of collapse will just never happen?

You will just loans new loans to pay of old ones. Luckily now they are cheap. But that might change soon.
legendary
I think that when government spending is at lower, "normal" levels then an additional dollar of government spending will cause overall private spending to decrease very little, if anything at all. However as government spending increases to a high percentage of GDP (including spending on interest on debt) then an additional dollar of government spending will cause private spending to decrease by similar amounts (or potentially more then a dollar if government spending is high enough).

Apart from the quantum of spending, we should also look at where the money is going in. If it is just being spent to maintain a bloated bureaucracy and fund some pet projects, then it is effectively going down the drain. On the other hand, if it is being channelled into productive investments, it would have a multiplier effect.
The "multiplier effect" is part of the Keynesian theory of economics and is followed by many liberals. No matter how the government spends each additional dollar it will always create less then one additional dollar in economic output. (The Keynesians actually do not believe that government money needs to be channeled into productive investments).
Let's get your facts straight. Economic output is measured by GDP. Expenditure approach of calculating GDP includes government spending in full, not some percentage. If it's not what you meant, please explain in detail.

In fact what government deficit spending does is taking money from those who don't want to spend and giving them to those who want to, but can't. It's that simple. It creates additional demand economy-wide that otherwise wouldn't be there. Yes, private sector is probably better at investing, but it wouldn't matter is there was no demand.
Activity: 420

Additionally if your statement was somehow true (it isn't) the government is still not able to put money to good use in efficient manner, the private sector is much better at this.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

legendary
If government borrowing does not crowd our private investment then there would be no need for credit ratings for governments because it would be assumed that the debt would be paid back because they can borrow unlimited amounts without consequence to the private sector.
Weak argument. And yes, there ratings are useless for countries that issue debt in their own currencies.

The government does not spend wisely, and is very inefficient in utilizing resources. Money lent to the government will be used less efficiently then money lent to the private sector.
Bold term. And again it doesn't consider sectoral balances. Lending inside the private sector is completely different from "lending" to government. These are not interchangeable.

Also elaborate on what you mean when saying "money lent to the private sector". If you talk about ordinary bank credit, then it's not constrained at all and government debt has nothing to do with it.
Interest rates are set by the Fed, it's all that matters.

If you say "per se" then your statement is effectively false.
Why on earth is that? It influences the statement's meaning, not its validity. If you read carefully that quote
Having said all this, is it possible that in some cases government spending influences business incentives to a degree that might cause less private investment.  
you'll notice that it's about spending, while I talk about borrowing. Government spending can probably influence business incentives to reduce investment even with a surplus budget.

Activity: 420
Wrong, government borrowing doesn't crowd out private investment per se. Government borrowing is a vertical transaction, while private investment is horizontal.

There's an article explaining this fallacy in simple words.
http://econrevival.blogspot.ru/2013/10/crowding-out-and-its-relation-to.html

The blog does have some disclaimers.

Having said all this, is it possible that in some cases government spending influences business incentives to a degree that might cause less private investment. 

Activity: 261
Wrong, government borrowing doesn't crowd out private investment per se. Government borrowing is a vertical transaction, while private investment is horizontal.

Of course it is. Probably. And I noted it by using adverb per se.

It's a government's responsibility to spend wisely, to try to achieve maximum efficiency in resource utilization. But that's not what most governments do.
The government does not spend wisely, and is very inefficient in utilizing resources. Money lent to the government will be used less efficiently then money lent to the private sector.

If you say "per se" then your statement is effectively false.
Activity: 238
All money that government spends does eventually need to be paid for by taxpayers. Even if the government never pays back the debt they incur to spend this money the government will need to have otherwise higher taxes in order to service the debt forever.

All of you suggestions for government to spend money on other things (science, medicine, education, ect) could be more efficiently done in the private sector.
I suggest you reading Modern Monetary Theory basics, which explain why government debt doesn't matter in the modern (fiat) monetary system.
If you go deep enough, you'll get what I mean here.
This is only an economic theory. What it fails to account for is the fact that government borrowing must be offset by a less amount of lending in the private sector.
What does it mean? Care to elaborate?
For every dollar that is lent to the government, there is one less dollar that can not be lent to the private sector or invested in the private sector. I agree that US government bonds are treated almost like cash, however there is a limit as to how much these bonds can be borrowed against.

If government borrowing does not crowd our private investment then there would be no need for credit ratings for governments because it would be assumed that the debt would be paid back because they can borrow unlimited amounts without consequence to the private sector.
legendary

Of course it is. Probably. And I noted it by using adverb per se.

It's a government's responsibility to spend wisely, to try to achieve maximum efficiency in resource utilization. But that's not what most governments do.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

legendary
All money that government spends does eventually need to be paid for by taxpayers. Even if the government never pays back the debt they incur to spend this money the government will need to have otherwise higher taxes in order to service the debt forever.

All of you suggestions for government to spend money on other things (science, medicine, education, ect) could be more efficiently done in the private sector.
I suggest you reading Modern Monetary Theory basics, which explain why government debt doesn't matter in the modern (fiat) monetary system.
If you go deep enough, you'll get what I mean here.
This is only an economic theory. What it fails to account for is the fact that government borrowing must be offset by a less amount of lending in the private sector.
What does it mean? Care to elaborate?
For every dollar that is lent to the government, there is one less dollar that can not be lent to the private sector or invested in the private sector. I agree that US government bonds are treated almost like cash, however there is a limit as to how much these bonds can be borrowed against.

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
While the 3rd scenario does sound good on paper, in reality it is not. The fact is that government is worse at spending money then the private sector is (in other words it is spent less efficiently). You imply that the government would pay for all this which means that taxpayer money would not be spent efficiently (all money that government spends will eventually be paid for by taxpayers), unless you are part of the 47% who pay no taxes and rely exclusively on government you should care about this. For example the 2009 stimulus package that president Obama and the democrats passed ended up costing around $300,000 per ~$40,000 per year job created as a result of the stimulus.
I haven't read the discussion from the beginning it seems. Because this premise is wrong in the modern monetary system:
all money that government spends will eventually be paid for by taxpayers

Another problem is that you assume that we need more/better infrastructure. In many cases we do not and the money would be spent on things that would not even be used. One example of this is the $100 billion bullet train to no where in CA. Not only is the project expected to generate vastly less amounts of revenue then it will cost to build, but it is estimated to be greatly underutilized.
There's always something to improve. If infrastructure is perfect, then spend money on fundamental science, medicine, education, whatever.

This is why it is bad to try to "stimulate" your way out of a recession as the money that is used for stimulus will ultimately need to be paid back via taxpayers (with interest). This is not a very efficient way of causing the economy to grow.

Another thing that's strange is how the idea of a recession been so made out to be so horrible. A recession is a necessary correction or adjustment to misallocation of resources. There is much reason to believe that if the government would stop intervening and "stimulating" that this would actually lessen the severity of booms and busts, but of course politicians think and teach that it's the opposite.

There's a difference between normal recession and what happened in 2008
Activity: 399
While the 3rd scenario does sound good on paper, in reality it is not. The fact is that government is worse at spending money then the private sector is (in other words it is spent less efficiently). You imply that the government would pay for all this which means that taxpayer money would not be spent efficiently (all money that government spends will eventually be paid for by taxpayers), unless you are part of the 47% who pay no taxes and rely exclusively on government you should care about this. For example the 2009 stimulus package that president Obama and the democrats passed ended up costing around $300,000 per ~$40,000 per year job created as a result of the stimulus.
I haven't read the discussion from the beginning it seems. Because this premise is wrong in the modern monetary system:
all money that government spends will eventually be paid for by taxpayers

Another problem is that you assume that we need more/better infrastructure. In many cases we do not and the money would be spent on things that would not even be used. One example of this is the $100 billion bullet train to no where in CA. Not only is the project expected to generate vastly less amounts of revenue then it will cost to build, but it is estimated to be greatly underutilized.
There's always something to improve. If infrastructure is perfect, then spend money on fundamental science, medicine, education, whatever.

This is why it is bad to try to "stimulate" your way out of a recession as the money that is used for stimulus will ultimately need to be paid back via taxpayers (with interest). This is not a very efficient way of causing the economy to grow.

Another thing that's strange is how the idea of a recession been so made out to be so horrible. A recession is a necessary correction or adjustment to misallocation of resources. There is much reason to believe that if the government would stop intervening and "stimulating" that this would actually lessen the severity of booms and busts, but of course politicians think and teach that it's the opposite.
Pages:
Jump to: