Pages:
Author

Topic: USD inflation affect on BTC? - page 5. (Read 6869 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
November 08, 2012, 10:33:36 AM
My extremely amateur short term forecast for BTC is UP.
This is based slightly on the topic at hand, but also on the 8/18 EMAs crossing on the 12-hour chart (whatever THAT means)
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
November 08, 2012, 08:58:35 AM
lol

i think for ever point the USD goes down bitcoin gains 2 points  Wink

it should be noted that the USD is still holding up pretty damn good despite QE3

Indeed.  DXY is above 80 and climbing.  Dollar supply may be inflating, but nominal value (measured in other currencies) is gaining because everyone else is inflating their money supply too.

exactly. the fiat currencies of the west are fighting each other on a sinking ship.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
November 07, 2012, 10:39:18 PM
Holding everything else equal, inflation in traditional currencies should directly increase the value of BTC.  A secondary effect of increased BTC demand will also lead to a more favorable exchange rate from BTC to traditional currencies.  That is, if more people who perceive that bitcoins  retain value better want in on the action, then they will compete with each other to get BTC, which drives up the exchange premium.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
November 07, 2012, 10:37:01 PM
lol

it should be noted that the USD is still holding up pretty damn good despite QE3

Indeed.  DXY is above 80 and climbing.  Dollar supply may be inflating, but nominal value (measured in other currencies) is gaining because everyone else is inflating their money supply too.

DXY is based on other fiat. Horrible indicator as far as strength of a medium of exchange when all central banks are printing to infinity.

I agree, but it does indicate relative strength of various fiat currencies, which was the topic we were discussing.  As always, thanks for your contribution smoothie Wink.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
November 07, 2012, 10:31:19 PM
lol

DXY is based on other fiat. Horrible indicator as far as strength of a medium of exchange when all central banks are printing to infinity.

legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
November 07, 2012, 05:27:11 PM
lol

that's why!
i just look at CAD/USD....
and it looked like the USD was recovering, but your saying CAD is being inflated as well  Angry

thanks.
legendary
Merit: 1002
November 07, 2012, 05:24:20 PM
lol

legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
November 07, 2012, 05:11:11 PM
lol

Activity: 330
Merit: 250
November 07, 2012, 05:07:37 PM
So if the US economy has to print more $$$ to deal with this fiscal cliff I've been reading about in the news will the inflation of the USD cause an increase in BTC price? Or are BTCs relatively pegged to USD?
Pages:
Jump to: