Pages:
Author

Topic: Using Armory on the BCH chain - page 15. (Read 45958 times)

legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
November 17, 2017, 07:35:45 AM
Also I was secretly hoping that Amory would have been upgraded with some "magic button" which does the whole procedure automagically with no risk to make errors, lose privacy etc.

The process of splitting (and disassociating) coins post-fork requires user input at several stages in order to properly protect oneself. Armory is an expert level wallet where security is always considered before convenience and as a long time Armory user I can comfortably say that I would never use such a "magic button" and would hope that the Armory dev(s) would never consider wasting time implementing such a feature. Bitcoin itself is a advanced course in personal responsibility and trying to push that responsibility onto others typically leads to monetary loss.

Security <--------|--------> Convenience

Choose one.

Also, the first post of this thread is still relevant.

Absolutey this.
Better than I could have put it.

Ente
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009
November 17, 2017, 01:27:51 AM
Also I was secretly hoping that Amory would have been upgraded with some "magic button" which does the whole procedure automagically with no risk to make errors, lose privacy etc.

The process of splitting (and disassociating) coins post-fork requires user input at several stages in order to properly protect oneself. Armory is an expert level wallet where security is always considered before convenience and as a long time Armory user I can comfortably say that I would never use such a "magic button" and would hope that the Armory dev(s) would never consider wasting time implementing such a feature. Bitcoin itself is a advanced course in personal responsibility and trying to push that responsibility onto others typically leads to monetary loss.

Security <--------|--------> Convenience

Choose one.

Also, the first post of this thread is still relevant.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
November 16, 2017, 08:20:09 AM
hopebit, did you try it with the procedure in the first post of this thread?
What step exactly doesn't work, with what result?

Ente

No, I didn't try it, because it's dated Aug 6 and it's followed by 8 pages of discussion and I think there are now different versions of the software involved (armory, bitcoin core etc.) which may have different features. Also the procedure contains some "IF"... I would like to know what's the procedure up to date, and what exactly to do in my case without "IF"  (hat's why I posted my personal situation).

legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
November 15, 2017, 12:25:40 PM
the other meta issue around harvesting one's BCH is this recommended procedure to move one's BTC away from a private key before sending BCH to a BCH address.  i completely understand this recommendation as one doesn't want to risk losing their BTC using a crude workaround if they don't do this first.  however, a BCH tool, like Trezor's, that doesn't require this beforehand would be helpful to refine the tool to the point where this doesn't have to be done at all.  it's a problem b/c many of us have hundreds to thousands of private keys with BTC/BCH stored on them and the current recommended process requires us to effectively double the number of tx's to harvest BCH while at the same time risking anonymity (by address merging out of convenience).

You have to go through this step to preserve the security model of Bitcoin to begin with. I'm not pulling these recommendations out of nowhere.
Activity: 178
Merit: 10
November 15, 2017, 12:12:30 PM
the other meta issue around harvesting one's BCH is this recommended procedure to move one's BTC away from a private key before sending BCH to a BCH address.  i completely understand this recommendation as one doesn't want to risk losing their BTC using a crude workaround if they don't do this first.  however, a BCH tool, like Trezor's, that doesn't require this beforehand would be helpful to refine the tool to the point where this doesn't have to be done at all.  it's a problem b/c many of us have hundreds to thousands of private keys with BTC/BCH stored on them and the current recommended process requires us to effectively double the number of tx's to harvest BCH while at the same time risking anonymity (by address merging out of convenience).
legendary
November 14, 2017, 07:56:09 PM
hopebit, did you try it with the procedure in the first post of this thread?
What step exactly doesn't work, with what result?

Ente
Activity: 20
November 14, 2017, 04:55:10 AM
I for one, am struggling since months trying to figure out how to "claim" my BCH (and am so mad I couldn't sell them a few days ago when their value peaked).

I would love so much if somebody could give me step-by-step & safe instructions.

My current situation is:

- latest bitcoin core (full node) installed, up and running on local computer

- latest armory  ( 0.96.3.99-beta ) compiled from source from github, can see all my BTC

- bitcoinABC compiled from source from github and NEVER LAUNCHED

- ONLY ONE COMPUTER

- did _NO_ transactions with BTC since before the fork, in order to make things easier

If somebody could help so that I can start using my BTC (and BCH) again, that would be very much appreciated.  I guess there may be thousands other persons in same uncomfortable situation.
November 13, 2017, 09:21:52 AM
i hate to bring this up, but now that it appears that BCH is here to stay for real, it seems to me that perhaps building a simpler BCH conversion tool might be in order?

edit:  Trezor has this:  https://trezor.io/claim-bch/

Hmm, I wouldn't wantthe Armory team to waste ressources on this.
The proposed way to trnsfer BCH with Armory works well enough already, I'd say.
For doing more stuff with BCH, well, use a BCH wallet?

Ente

well, the issue is that i've had to dedicate an entire new laptop to maintaining the truncated blockchain to be able to do goatpigs workaround just to harvest BCH to sell.  from the comments above, it's clear this hasn't been an easy task for everyone as there are more issues than just extra dedicated hardware.  making a more convenient tool to recognize one's BCH would certainly improve liquidity of BCH.
legendary
November 12, 2017, 05:11:09 PM
i hate to bring this up, but now that it appears that BCH is here to stay for real, it seems to me that perhaps building a simpler BCH conversion tool might be in order?

Hmm, I wouldn't wantthe Armory team to waste ressources on this.
The proposed way to trnsfer BCH with Armory works well enough already, I'd say.
For doing more stuff with BCH, well, use a BCH wallet?

Ente
November 12, 2017, 11:13:48 AM

Activity: 6
November 08, 2017, 05:21:43 PM
Sorry, it worked now. I deleted enough blocks, rebuilt the armory database on the new subset of blocks and then could create the BCH transaction again. This time it worked and I could send the transaction through blockdozer.com.

It was either my fault or something strange happened during copying the signed raw tx. Just make sure that you actually get a quite long hex value there.
legendary
Armory Developer
November 08, 2017, 02:19:54 PM
No, the data has to be serialized first then converted to base16. I'd like to look at your armorylog.txt to see if it there's some error report in there.
November 08, 2017, 12:43:56 PM
Exactly.

It looks like BASE64 since it contains a '+' but it is not since it does not end with a '=' char.
It is 20 characters long.

Update:
It seems like that this 20 character long string is contained in the signed TXSIGCOLLECT data.
Could have been that something went wrong with copying stuff around in X11 and that it is my fault. I'm not sure though. Normally I'm not that stupid.

Is there a way to get the raw tx from the signed TXSIGCOLLECT data?
legendary
Armory Developer
November 08, 2017, 12:29:32 PM
And that gave you a raw tx with non hexit chars in it?
November 08, 2017, 12:28:29 PM
I think there was a button like "copy raw tx to clipboard" or something like that.
legendary
Armory Developer
November 08, 2017, 12:20:02 PM
How do you extract the raw tx?
November 08, 2017, 11:39:39 AM
Meh, I'm pretty sure that I turned RBL off when I created the transaction :/
legendary
Armory Developer
November 08, 2017, 11:22:27 AM
The error message is quite generic unfortunately.
Blockdozer just says:

An error occured:
TX decode failed. Code:-22

Turn off RBF. Blockdozer is just bad like that.
November 08, 2017, 11:03:44 AM
The error message is quite generic unfortunately.
Blockdozer just says:

An error occured:
TX decode failed. Code:-22
Activity: 1
November 08, 2017, 09:45:31 AM
Do you have more information than "does not work"? Maybe Blockdozer is clever enough to provide an error message that could help us debugging?
Pages:
Jump to: