Pages:
Author

Topic: Using Armory on the BCH chain - page 10. (Read 45958 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
January 29, 2018, 10:33:45 PM
What is the easiest way to claim post fork BCC from an Armory wallet?  I have moved the coins post fork.  Is it as simple as running armory with a complete BCC node and then sending using the BCC signer?

Yes. That said, I highly recommend keeping the Armory database separate from the Core DB, otherwise you'll have problems. This link explains how to set up the paths, which you'll need for both the Armory DB and the Bcash chain.

copy 3 quotes by PeZ from Dec 20

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --datadir="D:\ArmoryData" --satoshi-datadir="D:\BitcoinData"
I renamed the database folder in ArmoryData to database.old to save it.
Substitute Qt with DB if you are following the instructions.
You don't want Bitcoind running if you are following the first page instructions.>

Keep separate directories for Bitcoin ABC data and Bitcoin Core data and copy the Armory wallet to another directory, but remove the database directory for when you use it with Bitcoin ABC.
If you want to run Bitcoin, do it with a shortcut e.g.
"D:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir="D:\BitcoinData" -disablewallet
When synced, run Armory with the shortcut that I mention in the previous post.
Follow the directions on the first page.
Not sure if this is the easiest method, but it worked. I am using Windoze, but other OS's should have something similar.>

http://blockdozer.com/insight/tx/send to submit the transaction. I don't know if it is required, but I would empty the wallet of BTC before messing with the BCH contents.

Yes, when you use Bitcoin ABC you would see the BCH contents, but my wallet was completely empty of BTC.?>

---

Then quote from JoJo69 from January 19

The ABC rollback to 0.16.1 did the trick!

I did have to rebuild the Armory DB.

I have added the lines to the bitcoin.conf file since, but that was not the issue in this case.   So, to summarize for the benefit of others.

>move all BTC out of any wallets you wish to claim BCH from

>back up your BTC blockchain, ABC uses the same default install paths (borderline malicious behavior IMO but there it is.

>back up your Armory DB

>install Bitcoin ABC v0.16.1, NOT v0.16.2 !  Allow it to fully sync.  Without an old pre-fork blockchain backup or some kind of pruned backup this will take a couple days at least.

>install Armory 0.96.3.922    RC3

>deal with your pathing to point your Armory bookmark to your new BCash blockchain

>Armory file  settings  uncheck "let Armory run Bitcoin Core/bitcoind in the background"

>close armory

>delete armory\databases

>verify Bitcoin ABC is running and fully synced

>launch Armory and let it build your new DB.  This will take some hours, be patient.  It may seem hung on 99% 2 seconds remaining or something like that for a loooong time, just let it run.

>when it is finally done it should show your expected BCH balances (you moved your BTC already right?) and report "connected" in purple in the lower right corner

>set Armory to "expert" mode   user   expert

>click "send bitcoins" and make up your transaction as usual remember to uncheck "enable RBF" in the lower right

>click through and SELECT THE BCH SIGNER AS DETAILED IN THE OP OF THIS THREAD!!!

>click to broadcast, that's it...worked for me

If I screwed any of this writeup let me know guys and I will edit

Thank you all so much for the help!!>

Then from January 21:

https://download.bitcoinabc.org/0.16.1/
will link in above post>

---

I recognize that much of my questions have been addressed in the prior discussions of this thread.
I have copied many of them above to hopefully have a relatively complete listing for my questions:

____

Thank you to all the developers for all your collective efforts over the past 6 months, and the continued development of this thread.

I continue wrapping my head through the various posts of this thread and continue to remain unclear.

One Win 10 x  64 desktop computer (with two hard drives) dedicated to Armory wallets
0.96.3992 with BC Core 0.15.1 all fully sync'd to the default locations on the C drive.

--- Based on the various questions and comments through this thread,
Is it necessary to install and sync an added 0.15.1 to the Data Drive?
or does one install and sync Bitcoin Unlimited or other database to the Data Drive?

Does it remain necessary to manually delete the database blocks
immediately below block 478559 from the newly installed database (on the 2nd Data Drive)?

Does one then redirect the Path of the existing 0.96.3992 (already on the C drive)
to address the the newly installed database on the data drive. Or, does one install
a new 0.96.3992 directly to the Data Drive (if so how does one distinguish between
each of their respective icons on the monitor screen)?   

----

signers will always be an off line laptop. 

Thank you all for the development of these work around procedures
and for your suggestions re my inquiries, as I desire to correctly and securely
effect this separation of BCH from the legacy BTC.

Activity: 525
Merit: 282
January 26, 2018, 01:54:22 PM
why build Armory?
I thought you should never trust precompiled binaries and if you care about your coins, you should always build from source?

Oh no, it's fine! I just wanted to make sure you had an actual desire to compile and weren't just getting in over your head. I think the directions are fine as long as the correct tag is used. The git submodule thing, AFAIK, is more of an insurance policy whenever switching branches/tags. The FCGI code hasn't really changed since it was introduced but other submodules could change between versions if they're ever introduced.
Activity: 6
January 26, 2018, 06:09:44 AM
Thanks HCP

So I take it that means I can sweep the same ex BTC wallet in to multiple forked coins but just never use the wallet again for BTC

Much appreciated

The mud in the water is slowly clearing  Smiley

PsyMan
Activity: 20
January 26, 2018, 05:46:11 AM
I'd replace 0.96 with the latest version (0.96.3.992 as of right now) unless you have specific reasons for using specific versions, but yes, that should work.
I actually put a TAG= at the beginning, and then $TAG where needed.
What I wanted to know was:
- why the two lines "git submodule init" and  "git submodule update" are repeated twice in the instructions, isn't one time sufficient, and where is the best position to put them in the script
- previous post by goatpig seemed to suggest that the line: "git tag -v v0.96" goes before "git checkout v0.96" so I wanted to make certain, if recommended way is different from instructions on the web site, what is the suggested order of the instructions, and possibly remove the redundant ones

why build Armory?
I thought you should never trust precompiled binaries and if you care about your coins, you should always build from source?
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
January 25, 2018, 11:09:21 PM
Should I sweep or import the old wallet in to electron cash using one of the private key export types in Armory? (will sweeping prevent me claiming any other forked coins like bitcoin gold going forward?)
As long as you had BTC on those private keys when "XYZ" fork happened, you will be able to claim "XYZ" coins, regardless of what you do with "ABC" or "LMNOP" coins Wink

Any idea which of the private key types are needed?
You need the "Private Key (Plain Base58)" keys... These are also known as "WIF" (Wallet Import Format)... they should start with a "5", an "L" or a "K". I think Armory uses "uncompressed" keys... so they're most likely going to start with a "5".
Activity: 6
January 25, 2018, 06:41:26 AM
Thanks to the advice in this thread I have finally gotten around to giving my Armory -> electron cash a try

After a 2 week wait due to a stuck transaction (my fault I think) my bitcoins are now safely confirmed in a new Armory wallet and am ready to export the old wallet keys to electron cash however....one/two last question/s.

Should I sweep or import the old wallet in to electron cash using one of the private key export types in Armory? (will sweeping prevent me claiming any other forked coins like bitcoin gold going forward?)

Any idea which of the private key types are needed?

More interested in the sweep vs import bit really though as I don't want to accidentally eat the golden goose Cheesy

Grateful as always

PsyMan

January 25, 2018, 02:36:01 AM
I'd replace 0.96 with the latest version (0.96.3.992 as of right now) unless you have specific reasons for using specific versions, but yes, that should work. That said, unless you're just curious or have specific reasons for doing so, why build Armory?
January 25, 2018, 02:28:19 AM
I don't think there are submodules in ABC's repo. At least there are none in Core, so ABC would have had to had to add submodules recently. It won't do anything to initialized submodules on a repo that has none, but I'd rather people know that this step has no effect. That aside, this is a acceptable procedure. Note that you can verify a tag without checking it out. It's actually preferable to first verify the signature on the tag then to check it out than otherwise.

Thank you for the clarification. So what would be the preferable procedure in case of Armory? According to the instructions here:
https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/linuxbuild/Linux_build_notes.md#ubuntu-build-instructions
it would be (quoting literally, just stripping the comments):

$ git clone https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory.git
$ cd BitcoinArmory
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update
$ git checkout v0.96
$ git tag -v v0.96
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure
$ make

legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
January 24, 2018, 11:39:57 AM
By the way as you asked how to improve your guide you may want to detail how to get the sources of the v0.16.1.0 version of bitcoinABC
I found the binaries at https://download.bitcoinabc.org/0.16.1/

I wrote "sources"   Smiley   and also "v0.16.1.0" according your instructions  Smiley

What I did (within a script) was:

git clone https://github.com/Bitcoin-ABC/bitcoin-abc.git
  cd bitcoin-abc
  TAG=v0.16.1
  git checkout $TAG
  git tag -v $TAG
  git submodule init
  git submodule update

It gave some errors, but overall it worked.
Please note I used "v0.16.1" instead of "v0.16.1.0" otherwise it didn't work at all.

Maybe the git experts here can suggest a better way to do it? Missing specific instructions for Bitcoin-ABC I used same script I use for Armory (just changed the TAG) but it appears the two repositories are setup differently...

I don't think there are submodules in ABC's repo. At least there are none in Core, so ABC would have had to had to add submodules recently. It won't do anything to initialized submodules on a repo that has none, but I'd rather people know that this step has no effect. That aside, this is a acceptable procedure. Note that you can verify a tag without checking it out. It's actually preferable to first verify the signature on the tag then to check it out than otherwise.
Activity: 322
Merit: 253
Property1of1OU
January 24, 2018, 10:43:23 AM
I am at "POKER" cards (add your own entropy) seed thing ...before cash OUT for investments ...

waiting patiently, until blows up ... 
January 23, 2018, 02:22:03 AM
By the way as you asked how to improve your guide you may want to detail how to get the sources of the v0.16.1.0 version of bitcoinABC

I wrote "sources"   Smiley   and also "v0.16.1.0" according your instructions  Smiley

What I did (within a script) was:

git clone https://github.com/Bitcoin-ABC/bitcoin-abc.git
  cd bitcoin-abc
  TAG=v0.16.1
  git checkout $TAG
  git tag -v $TAG
  git submodule init
  git submodule update

It gave some errors, but overall it worked.
Please note I used "v0.16.1" instead of "v0.16.1.0" otherwise it didn't work at all.

Maybe the git experts here can suggest a better way to do it? Missing specific instructions for Bitcoin-ABC I used same script I use for Armory (just changed the TAG) but it appears the two repositories are setup differently...
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345
diamond-handed zealot
January 21, 2018, 07:53:42 PM
Thank you very much.  I had exact same problem (ArmoryDB not connecting to bitcoinABC) and was struggling since months.  Could not figure out I had to downgrade to an older version, was quite doing the opposite (looking for the latest versions of everything).
Now I hope I can finally spend my BCH.

By the way as you asked how to improve your guide you may want to detail how to get the sources of the v0.16.1.0 version of bitcoinABC (I'm saying this because, differently than Armory which gives step by step instructions for this, I could find no similar instructions for bitcoinABC)..

good point

will link in above post
January 21, 2018, 07:32:29 PM
Thank you very much.  I had exact same problem (ArmoryDB not connecting to bitcoinABC) and was struggling since months.  Could not figure out I had to downgrade to an older version, was quite doing the opposite (looking for the latest versions of everything).
Now I hope I can finally spend my BCH.

By the way as you asked how to improve your guide you may want to detail how to get the sources of the v0.16.1.0 version of bitcoinABC (I'm saying this because, differently than Armory which gives step by step instructions for this, I could find no similar instructions for bitcoinABC)..
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
January 19, 2018, 06:35:20 PM
OK, my report, as promised.

The ABC rollback to 0.16.1 did the trick!

I did have to rebuild the Armory DB.

I have added the lines to the bitcoin.conf file since, but that was not the issue in this case.   So, to summarize for the benefit of others.

>move all BTC out of any wallets you wish to claim BCH from

>back up your BTC blockchain, ABC uses the same default install paths (borderline malicious behavior IMO but there it is.

>back up your Armory DB

>install Bitcoin ABC v0.16.1, NOT v0.16.2 !  Allow it to fully sync.  Without an old pre-fork blockchain backup or some kind of pruned backup this will take a couple days at least.

>install Armory 0.96.3.922    RC3

>deal with your pathing to point your Armory bookmark to your new BCash blockchain

>Armory file  settings  uncheck "let Armory run Bitcoin Core/bitcoind in the background"

>close armory

>delete armory\databases

>verify Bitcoin ABC is running and fully synced

>launch Armory and let it build your new DB.  This will take some hours, be patient.  It may seem hung on 99% 2 seconds remaining or something like that for a loooong time, just let it run.

>when it is finally done it should show your expected BCH balances (you moved your BTC already right?) and report "connected" in purple in the lower right corner

>set Armory to "expert" mode   user   expert

>click "send bitcoins" and make up your transaction as usual remember to uncheck "enable RBF" in the lower right

>click through and SELECT THE BCH SIGNER AS DETAILED IN THE OP OF THIS THREAD!!!

>click to broadcast, that's it...worked for me

If I screwed any of this writeup let me know guys and I will edit

Thank you all so much for the help!!

Activity: 270
Merit: 36
January 19, 2018, 05:57:13 PM
re the bitcoin.conf file changes

this is the one with the rpcuser stuff in it?

and is that IP address universal or specific to your case?

Please forgive my ignorance.
Yes.
127.0.0.1 is localhost - your local computer, so universal Smiley
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
January 19, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
re the bitcoin.conf file changes

this is the one with the rpcuser stuff in it?

and is that IP address universal or specific to your case?

Please forgive my ignorance.
January 19, 2018, 04:24:05 PM
jojo69, I always put "listen=1" and "addnode=127.0.0.1" in my bitcoin config file. I don't know if it will help your situation or not, but it can't hurt.

Yeah, everybody ought to do this. Something for me to put in the in-progress FAQ, now that I think about it....
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009
January 19, 2018, 03:11:21 PM
jojo69, I always put "listen=1" and "addnode=127.0.0.1" in my bitcoin config file. I don't know if it will help your situation or not, but it can't hurt.
January 19, 2018, 01:25:11 PM
Spent quite a long time with bitcoin-abc-0.16.2 and armory 0.96.3.991 and trying to get it to work.

This combo throws in the bitcoind log.
2018-01-04 21:34:48 PROCESSMESSAGE: INVALID MESSAGESTART version peer=0

However, bitcoin-abc-0.16.1 and armory 0.96.3.991 allows the connection to happen:
2018-01-05 07:11:02 receive version message: [127.0.0.1:34586] Armory:0.96.3.991: version 70012, blocks=-1, us=127.0.0.1:8333, peer=0

Just a heads up to others. I believe something changed in the bitcoin-abc repo around 12/3/2017 surrounding this PROCESSMESSAGE output.

Thanks. This somehow floated past me. I'm waiting for more reports but it sounds like running 0.16.1 may be the ticket. I took a quick look at the commits. Nothing jumped out immediately but I didn't take a close look. This is an example of what goatpig was talking about when he said that there's no guarantee Armory will support Bcash. Smiley People can always try their luck with Unlimited too.
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
January 19, 2018, 12:47:47 PM

Tried ABC 0.16.1 as per the below?

Spent quite a long time with bitcoin-abc-0.16.2 and armory 0.96.3.991 and trying to get it to work.

This combo throws in the bitcoind log.
2018-01-04 21:34:48 PROCESSMESSAGE: INVALID MESSAGESTART version peer=0

However, bitcoin-abc-0.16.1 and armory 0.96.3.991 allows the connection to happen:
2018-01-05 07:11:02 receive version message: [127.0.0.1:34586] Armory:0.96.3.991: version 70012, blocks=-1, us=127.0.0.1:8333, peer=0

Just a heads up to others. I believe something changed in the bitcoin-abc repo around 12/3/2017 surrounding this PROCESSMESSAGE output.

THAT, is probably it!

Thank you PF!  I have read the entire thread, but there is rather a lot of it and after a while it tends to all swim together.  I failed to integrate this point...now to make sure I don't lose the blockchain in the downgrade.

Will report.
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org