Pages:
Author

Topic: Vanity Pool - vanity address generator pool - page 8. (Read 147183 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Is there a vanity pool for any of the other coins? I think a Lite or Doge vanity pool would do pretty well too, unless those addresses can also be sent to this vanity pool.
Now, I don't think there is other vanity pool.
Correct - all the other ones appear to be singular services, rather than distributed efforts.

However, Fuish should be able to use VanityPool - There's a field labeled "Network prefix byte (0 for MainNet):".  He just has to look up the  network prefix byte for the coin of choice (DogeCOin: 30, Litecoin: 48), enter that, and make sure that the prefix conforms to any further peculiarities of the coin in question.

Sorry, I didn't know that! Thanks! Smiley
@Fuish: If you want to know network prefix byte of any other coin, look github repo, you will find it there. But the easiest way is, http://btpp.jampa.eu/get_coin_version/?address=coinaddress - replace coinaddress with address of the cryptocurrency, for example, http://btpp.jampa.eu/get_coin_version/?address=LcUP7ZU3Xpk1BUR3qut3dTjC3aK5JoZMYx (litecoin address) and copy, paste and go.

~~MZ~~
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
Is there a vanity pool for any of the other coins? I think a Lite or Doge vanity pool would do pretty well too, unless those addresses can also be sent to this vanity pool.
Now, I don't think there is other vanity pool.
Correct - all the other ones appear to be singular services, rather than distributed efforts.

However, Fuish should be able to use VanityPool - There's a field labeled "Network prefix byte (0 for MainNet):".  He just has to look up the  network prefix byte for the coin of choice (DogeCOin: 30, Litecoin: 48), enter that, and make sure that the prefix conforms to any further peculiarities of the coin in question.
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

Now, I don't think there is other vanity pool. You might want to post in their forum for better support. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
FUN > ROI
September 21, 2014, 05:26:12 PM
now it is impossible to get any of the keys availables unless you have a really big farm
Just wait for the next 'easy' address to pop up - like 1thanxio, which did get solved eventually.  You can even automate this.  Might be nice to get some of the multipool software to include vanitypool(s) as well.. I don't think any of them do at the moment.

Hey ThePicachu, do you care to share some current traffic stats for the page? It seems to have died down significantly. I'm guessing interest died down when firstbits were shoved aside?
I'm not him, but... yes - FirstBits was probably the 'gold rush' for vanity addresses; being the owner of the 1abc / 1sex / 1www, etc. FirstBits - which has a guaranteed unique pointer to a single address (as opposed to multiple addresses with 'regular' vanities) - was at one point deemed important, to an extent.

However, it later fell out of favor (some sites don't even support FirstBits lookups anymore) due to concerns over address re-use.. and what good is a FirstBits address if you can only use it once (or suffer the wrath of address reuse issues)?
That, plus the non-uniqueness of regular vanities, has caused a decline in interest.

That said, there's no reason there couldn't be a revival, especially if mining them ends up more lucrative than mining the so-manieth altcoin.  Bit of a catch-22, though.. without people wanting vanity addresses, there's nothing to 'mine' - and if there's so few 'miners', then those wanting vanity addresses are deterred by how long it takes to get one (because the pools don't work with a shares type of system, there's no way for them to even give a user an estimate of how long it will take on average).
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
September 21, 2014, 03:40:28 PM
now it is impossible to get any of the keys availables unless you have a really big farm
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
September 21, 2014, 03:23:54 PM
Fall is approaching in my neck of the woods. I was looking for a way to get my GPU heaters working and I'm tired of altcoins. I'm going to play here for awhile. Hey ThePicachu, do you care to share some current traffic stats for the page? It seems to have died down significantly. I'm guessing interest died down when firstbits were shoved aside?
Activity: 400
Merit: 250
i will give it a try,starting up my 2 cards

i think its better than mining any altcoins atm,plus people will be happy getting there own address
FUN > ROI
regarding the link... it appears that the link gets mangled... I can't get it to appear right (unless you add the URL tag... like you did).
Yeah, that'll be the forum software for ya Smiley

Looks like it'll be a while before you'd get that prefix - but anybody bored or feeling lucky and having a decent graphics card should be able to do it within a month
Activity: 15
The pattern I requested is "1thanxio", and it has to be all lower case, does the pool takes that into account?
Yes - when you requested the pattern, you should have read this line:
Your desired pattern (with leading 1 for MainNet, case-sensitive):
( emphasis mine )

As an aside - the correct link for your work request (mangled in your post): 1thanxio @ vanitypool

thanx for your response. regarding the link... it appears that the link gets mangled... I can't get it to appear right (unless you add the URL tag... like you did).
FUN > ROI
The pattern I requested is "1thanxio", and it has to be all lower case, does the pool takes that into account?
Yes - when you requested the pattern, you should have read this line:
Your desired pattern (with leading 1 for MainNet, case-sensitive):
( emphasis mine )

As an aside - the correct link for your work request (mangled in your post): 1thanxio @ vanitypool
thanks for your response. Could you please provide a link to a good step-by-step guide on how request an address in a trustless way? Thanks.

1) Generate a Bitcoin address, save its private key safely, find out its public key - use http://casascius.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/bitcoin-address-utility/ or https://www.bitaddress.org/ for example (you will need those services later anyway)

2) Fill out the details in https://vanitypool.appspot.com/newWork

3) Send the request, send the bitcoins to the specified address

4) Once your work is solved, use the tools from point 1 to combine the key

5) Import the key into your wallet of choice

Best start with a simple and cheap pattern to get the hang of things.

Hi, thanx for your response. I have just requested a vanity address

3D939B757169ACCA30EFCD9E58D2D2326CC47929C38C9DB2257">https://vanitypool.appspot.com/check?key=1thanxio:047CE55D39162CCCAE7BB04609BCAC133166E6095C2970238C5CF68614664F0893EE6EFF645B723 3D939B757169ACCA30EFCD9E58D2D2326CC47929C38C9DB2257

And paid for it:

https://blockchain.info/tx/a05197b41b5a8e96926b0053d3ed9a84906589c14d7f732115932831d280f744

thanx
Activity: 444
Merit: 307
thanks for your response. Could you please provide a link to a good step-by-step guide on how request an address in a trustless way? Thanks.

1) Generate a Bitcoin address, save its private key safely, find out its public key - use http://casascius.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/bitcoin-address-utility/ or https://www.bitaddress.org/ for example (you will need those services later anyway)

2) Fill out the details in https://vanitypool.appspot.com/newWork

3) Send the request, send the bitcoins to the specified address

4) Once your work is solved, use the tools from point 1 to combine the key

5) Import the key into your wallet of choice

Best start with a simple and cheap pattern to get the hang of things.
Hi, I would like to send in some work, but I would like to know several things:

1. Is this project still active?
2. How long can I expect it to take (8 characters including the 1 in the beginning)
3. What if my work is not solved. Do I get the money back?
4. I presume that if my lavishness is the highest, then my work would be first to be solved/worked on?

Thanks

The project is active, but there isn't much new development - it's a service that works by itself. 8 characters can take a few days or more, depending on how much money you put down as a reward. I can cancel the work and refund you if you change your mind, but it's not an automated process. In most cases miners should work on highest lavishness work, but some prefer smaller lavishness but also smaller complexity work for more predictable return.

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
I believe it would be better if the system was changed to actually pay everybody for their work. Shares etc, no idea how this would work(perhaps from a pattern of 1GoldMoney, valid addresses like 1GoLdMoNeY should be considered like shares?), but right now it's every man for himself so it makes mining addresses a bit useless.

2. How long can I expect it to take (8 characters including the 1 in the beginning)
4. I presume that if my lavishness is the highest, then my work would be first to be solved/worked on?

Thanks

The project is active, but there isn't much new development - it's a service that works by itself. 8 characters can take a few days or more, depending on how much money you put down as a reward. I can cancel the work and refund you if you change your mind, but it's not an automated process. In most cases miners should work on highest lavishness work, but some prefer smaller lavishness but also smaller complexity work for more predictable return.

Thanks
I do have analytics. It looks like my bounce rate overall is 42.52%. For /newWork, it's 44.44%.
Activity: 36
Thanks for the suggestion. The website is long overdue for a frontend overhaul, but I'm not really that good at frontend design. I also am rather busy with my other projects at the moment, so I don't have the time to improve this one. At the moment it's functioning quite well by itself.

If you allow me I could design a rough template for a new site and share it with you. As already mentioned, this project has great potential and all it really needs to grow is more available work, which can be solved by using different language and terminology on the landing page. I can do that for you.

Jorijnsmit, I think it needs more than that; if you're aiming for average bitcoin-joe-on-the-street to be able to use vanity addresses, even copying and pasting the private key into a website/app key-import text box might be more trouble than they'd be comfortable with. Certainly if they generated the key on a website then had to import it into a phone app (or any other device), or the other way round. The ideal would be a point-and-click interface to "download" the key and apply it. There's no mime-type or file format or filename-type-extension set up for that, and no apps I'm aware of have considered to make it easy enough to do anything like that. Because of the low demand for usage of that kind of feature, I think - bit of a chicken and egg type problem.

Are you talking about importing a private key? Because in that what I think you are describing are QR codes. Of course not all smartphone apps would support this, so some people would just have to retype the private key or copy-paste it somehow.

Anyway I do think Vanity Pool lends itself very well for providing keys to bitcoin-joe-on-the-street guys, if the site is presented in a different way that is.

Do you keep (Google) analytics statistics ThePiachu? I wonder what your bounce rate is, e.g. how many people decide to visit the site but close it after seeing the front page. The bounce rate for the "request a vanity address" page would be even more interesting.

I never heard back from you on some text I rewrote for the front page...
Activity: 5
Thanks for the suggestion. The website is long overdue for a frontend overhaul, but I'm not really that good at frontend design. I also am rather busy with my other projects at the moment, so I don't have the time to improve this one. At the moment it's functioning quite well by itself.

If you allow me I could design a rough template for a new site and share it with you. As already mentioned, this project has great potential and all it really needs to grow is more available work, which can be solved by using different language and terminology on the landing page. I can do that for you.

Jorijnsmit, I think it needs more than that; if you're aiming for average bitcoin-joe-on-the-street to be able to use vanity addresses, even copying and pasting the private key into a website/app key-import text box might be more trouble than they'd be comfortable with. Certainly if they generated the key on a website then had to import it into a phone app (or any other device), or the other way round. The ideal would be a point-and-click interface to "download" the key and apply it. There's no mime-type or file format or filename-type-extension set up for that, and no apps I'm aware of have considered to make it easy enough to do anything like that. Because of the low demand for usage of that kind of feature, I think - bit of a chicken and egg type problem.
Pages:
Jump to: