Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 107. (Read 1153383 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
How do you use these addresses with bitcoin core ?

If you generated them yourself and want to make use of it from your wallet, you'll have to import the private key:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys#Using_bitcoind
( see note about v7 - instructions for that are on a different page at this time )

If you just need to send funds to one, it's the same as any other address.
Activity: 118
Merit: 100
How do you use these addresses with bitcoin core ?
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1081
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
Hey guys. I was wondering if it was possible to make a 1 click set up/app or a step by step guide for setting this up on Mac. I would really like to be able to make some vanity address but I do not know how to build from source or any of that kinda stuff...

Thanks
-Desertbeagles

Aren't there binaries for osx for vanitygen?  In any case it's not too hard to build from source, I use GNU/Linux but as OSX is also unix based, I suppose the steps would be pretty similar:

1) wget http://locationofsource/tarball.tgz
2) tar -xfzf tarball.tgz
3) cd tarball
4) ./configure && make && (sudo) make install

I think you could figure out the mac specific stuff in like 20 minutes of reading, just google 'build environment osx'
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Hey guys. I was wondering if it was possible to make a 1 click set up/app or a step by step guide for setting this up on Mac. I would really like to be able to make some vanity address but I do not know how to build from source or any of that kinda stuff...

Thanks
-Desertbeagles
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I downloaded the latest version and compiled it for OSX but I can't seem to specify a public address when I use ./oclvanitygen (or the miner) instead of ./vanitygen however the topic start of mentions it's both possible. What am I missing? -P doesn't seem to be an option for oclvanitygen.
legendary
FWIW, the probability of rolling a "4" 1 million times in a row is infinitely greater than 0.  Something with a probability of 0 is impossible.  Something with a probability greater than 0 is not impossible, no matter how small.  IMHO, conflating impossible with improbable really muddies the waters in these kinds of discussions, so I'm trying to avoid that.
Well, if we're going to get technical... you can't divide by zero, so you can't say that it's infinitely greater than zero Wink

Good point, that's a subtle mistake, but you're right.  In my mind, I was thinking about the fact that division by zero is undefined, but I made a mistake by suggesting that that implies a nonfinite relation between the result of division by zero and some number.  In fact, you simply can't compare NaN with a number.  Nevertheless, I think this strengthens my real point which was that you can't get any closer to impossible by making a small probability even smaller.  Likewise, multiplying a finite number so many times that it becomes inconceivably large doesn't get you any closer to infinitely large.

But yes, I know what you're saying, and I almost corrected Micro myself before you replied.  However, there's an equal muddying of the waters when you say that there's 'a possibility' when the layman doesn't really understand just how incredibly small that possibility is.  In their mind 'a possibility' means that it is, in fact, likely.. that all it would take is a supercomputer.  Something about people not quite fully grasping the really, really small and really, really large things.  I'm not immune to that either - I can't wrap my head around the size of the universe (as far as we understand it), nor around things like poisons that need only a pinhead's worth to kill you.

Thus, "for all practical purposes, you can consider that to be on the level of 'impossible'."

I should have specified that I wasn't looking for the layman's version.

As for the rest - yep, you got it.

Note that I should place an asterisk beside my suggestion that you can't tell a program to only generate addresses that match a certain criteria, as some people have tried to attack a similar problem (Bitcoin mining) using SAT solvers.  However, I'm not convinced their approach is actually fundamentally different and when I looked at it last, it would give an imperceivable advantage on a small stage of the process - while implementation in an ASIC would be nightmarish at best, so it has no practical purpose there.  I can't readily imagine a situation in which it would be of help in vanity address generation either, but my math only goes so far Smiley

Thanks for the follow up.  If you know of a good thread with the techinical details, drop me a link.  I think MICRO's link to the main page of the bitcoin wiki is only so helpful Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1037
CEO @ Stake.com and Primedice.com
Thanks for the reply MICRO, but I'm suspicious about your information because it seems vague and lacking in detail.  For example, you say that something is impossible but I think you mean infeasibly improbable.
Yes, that's what they meant.  Note that for all practical purposes, you can consider that to be on the level of 'impossible'.  I.e. say you roll a million dice - is it possible that you'll roll a 4 on all million?  Sure, it's possible.  Now consider that the issue we're discussing here is several magnitudes more difficult still Smiley

I just cant look at it that way . I must say its impossible at that chance Smiley . Maybe wont be in like 100 years with some new super computers. But atm even if u combine all computers on this planet they cant do it.

But ur explanation is rly good. Tnx.
FUN > ROI
FWIW, the probability of rolling a "4" 1 million times in a row is infinitely greater than 0.  Something with a probability of 0 is impossible.  Something with a probability greater than 0 is not impossible, no matter how small.  IMHO, conflating impossible with improbable really muddies the waters in these kinds of discussions, so I'm trying to avoid that.
Well, if we're going to get technical... you can't divide by zero, so you can't say that it's infinitely greater than zero Wink

But yes, I know what you're saying, and I almost corrected Micro myself before you replied.  However, there's an equal muddying of the waters when you say that there's 'a possibility' when the layman doesn't really understand just how incredibly small that possibility is.  In their mind 'a possibility' means that it is, in fact, likely.. that all it would take is a supercomputer.  Something about people not quite fully grasping the really, really small and really, really large things.  I'm not immune to that either - I can't wrap my head around the size of the universe (as far as we understand it), nor around things like poisons that need only a pinhead's worth to kill you.

Thus, "for all practical purposes, you can consider that to be on the level of 'impossible'."

As for the rest - yep, you got it.

Note that I should place an asterisk beside my suggestion that you can't tell a program to only generate addresses that match a certain criteria, as some people have tried to attack a similar problem (Bitcoin mining) using SAT solvers.  However, I'm not convinced their approach is actually fundamentally different and when I looked at it last, it would give an imperceivable advantage on a small stage of the process - while implementation in an ASIC would be nightmarish at best, so it has no practical purpose there.  I can't readily imagine a situation in which it would be of help in vanity address generation either, but my math only goes so far Smiley
legendary
Just trust me it is IMPOSSIBLE to get same address as somebody else. Its just impossible even if u have world most powerful computer.

Lol, maybe you're just abusing the phrase but 'just trust me' is exactly the kind of answer I'm repulsed by in this context.  I'm trying to educate myself about some abstruse facts and mere "I'm right" claims aren't convincing at all.

Furthermore, you still seem to be missing the difference between the definition of IMPOSSIBLE and IMPROBABLE.  I've got nothing against you personally but it doesn't seem like you're the best source to go to for the maths on this one.

Cheers.

Ah well i just wanted to make it simple Cheesy LOL. I used word impossible coz it rly is , well ok it maybe isn't in theory.

Here u can get rly good education about it http://en.bitcoinwiki.org/Main_Page . Im just sleepy and baing lazy to make rly good post about that and how big ur chances are Smiley . So i say its impossible coz it rly is and u dont have to worry about how safe it is to make vanity addy coz somebody might make the same. Coz that was ur question.

legendary
Just trust me it is IMPOSSIBLE to get same address as somebody else. Its just impossible even if u have world most powerful computer.

Lol, maybe you're just abusing the phrase but 'just trust me' is exactly the kind of answer I'm repulsed by in this context.  I'm trying to educate myself about some abstruse facts and mere "I'm right" claims aren't convincing at all.

Furthermore, you still seem to be missing the difference between the definition of IMPOSSIBLE and IMPROBABLE.  I've got nothing against you personally but it doesn't seem like you're the best source to go to for the maths on this one.

Cheers.
legendary
Thanks for the reply MICRO, but I'm suspicious about your information because it seems vague and lacking in detail.  For example, you say that something is impossible but I think you mean infeasibly improbable.
Yes, that's what they meant.  Note that for all practical purposes, you can consider that to be on the level of 'impossible'.  I.e. say you roll a million dice - is it possible that you'll roll a 4 on all million?  Sure, it's possible.  Now consider that the issue we're discussing here is several magnitudes more difficult still Smiley

Since I'm looking for details and proofs, I guess I find myself still wanting.  Nonetheless, the point of your reply is noted: apparantly reducing the address space by a prefix is insignficant.
You would have to look for technical discussions about finding collisions for the private key in general.  The fact that the address starts with a vanity doesn't actually 'reduce the search space'.  I.e. you can't say 'generate only keys for which the address starts with this vanity'.  The way it works is that it generates a whole lot of keys, calculates the address, and then checks if that address happens to start with the desired vanity.

If you could do it the other way around, then 1SomeVan1ty is every bit as vulnerable as, say, 1x3pqDdtUza - a non-vanity (well, unless somebody considers that to be a vanity, of course) - and thus all Bitcoin addresses would be vulnerable.

In addition, while you can possibly get a collision on the address, you still can't spend from that address unless you have the correct private key.  So even if you do happen to get a full match on the address, you might still not have the correct private key to go with it. (addresses are hashes of the public key, which have a smaller space than the public key, so at least there's a greater potential for a collision on the address)

Thanks, this fills in a bit more of the info.

FWIW, the probability of rolling a "4" 1 million times in a row is infinitely greater than 0.  Something with a probability of 0 is impossible.  Something with a probability greater than 0 is not impossible, no matter how small.  IMHO, conflating impossible with improbable really muddies the waters in these kinds of discussions, so I'm trying to avoid that.

Anyway I understand now that the search space isn't reduced, only the answer space. So vanitygen has to look blindly through the same candidate set no matter how much you constrain the space of correct answers. Also, thanks for the clarification about the relationship from the address to the public key.
legendary
I want to ask a question which will probably get people calling me stoopid or whatever but here I go:

Is there a danger of another person using vanitygen with the same input you gave it to generate your public/private key?  For example, assume I created a vanitygen address:

1Vanity...

Someone sees my address and correctly assumes I generated it with vanitygen:

./vanitygen 1Vanity

They now just have to run ./vanitygen 1Vanity and wait a while until they get my public/private keys.

Is that right or wrong?

I guess my assumption here is that while the space of possible random btc addresses is so large, the space of vanity addresses for a given prefix is smaller and perhaps dangerously small?  Also, I don't know how vanitygen searches the space but perhaps it's likely to find the addresses for a given prefix in a similar order each time?

Thanks for any insight.  You guys are smarter then me.

Its not dangerous at all. Its impossible to find whole bitcoin address.

In order for somebody to get private key for ur 1Vanity addy he would need to copy ur whole addy like 1Vanity15af4a5df63adf5645adf... Not only 1Vanity coz there are ALOT of addresses that can start with 1Vanity.

Its imposible for somebody to find key for ur 1Vanity addy , he can make alot of addresses that start with 1Vanity but they wont be the same as urs.

Thanks for the reply MICRO, but I'm suspicious about your information because it seems vague and lacking in detail.  For example, you say that something is impossible but I think you mean infeasibly improbable.  Since I'm looking for details and proofs, I guess I find myself still wanting.  Nonetheless, the point of your reply is noted: apparantly reducing the address space by a prefix is insignficant.  Can anyone fill in the numbers to make this clear?

Second point seems implied in your answer but isn't explicit, apparantly vanitygen is going to generate matching addresses in some pseudo random order.

Also, I decided to put this to the empirical test.  Now running vanitygen with 1Micro Smiley

FUN > ROI

Since I'm looking for details and proofs, I guess I find myself still wanting.  Nonetheless, the point of your reply is noted: apparantly reducing the address space by a prefix is insignficant.
You would have to look for technical discussions about finding collisions for the private key in general.  The fact that the address starts with a vanity doesn't actually 'reduce the search space'.  I.e. you can't say 'generate only keys for which the address starts with this vanity'.  The way it works is that it generates a whole lot of keys, calculates the address, and then checks if that address happens to start with the desired vanity.

If you could do it the other way around, then 1SomeVan1ty is every bit as vulnerable as, say, 1x3pqDdtUza - a non-vanity (well, unless somebody considers that to be a vanity, of course) - and thus all Bitcoin addresses would be vulnerable.

In addition, while you can possibly get a collision on the address, you still can't spend from that address unless you have the correct private key.  So even if you do happen to get a full match on the address, you might still not have the correct private key to go with it. (addresses are hashes of the public key, which have a smaller space than the public key, so at least there's a greater potential for a collision on the address)
legendary
I want to ask a question which will probably get people calling me stoopid or whatever but here I go:

Is there a danger of another person using vanitygen with the same input you gave it to generate your public/private key?  For example, assume I created a vanitygen address:

1Vanity...

./vanitygen 1Vanity

They now just have to run ./vanitygen 1Vanity and wait a while until they get my public/private keys.

Is that right or wrong?

I guess my assumption here is that while the space of possible random btc addresses is so large, the space of vanity addresses for a given prefix is smaller and perhaps dangerously small?  Also, I don't know how vanitygen searches the space but perhaps it's likely to find the addresses for a given prefix in a similar order each time?

In order for somebody to get private key for ur 1Vanity addy he would need to copy ur whole addy like 1Vanity15af4a5df63adf5645adf... Not only 1Vanity coz there are ALOT of addresses that can start with 1Vanity.

Its imposible for somebody to find key for ur 1Vanity addy , he can make alot of addresses that start with 1Vanity but they wont be the same as urs.

Thanks for the reply MICRO, but I'm suspicious about your information because it seems vague and lacking in detail.  For example, you say that something is impossible but I think you mean infeasibly improbable.  Since I'm looking for details and proofs, I guess I find myself still wanting.  Nonetheless, the point of your reply is noted: apparantly reducing the address space by a prefix is insignficant.  Can anyone fill in the numbers to make this clear?

Second point seems implied in your answer but isn't explicit, apparantly vanitygen is going to generate matching addresses in some pseudo random order.

Also, I decided to put this to the empirical test.  Now running vanitygen with 1Micro Smiley
legendary

1Vanity...

./vanitygen 1Vanity

Is that right or wrong?

legendary

1Vanity...

./vanitygen 1Vanity

Is that right or wrong?

Activity: 708
Merit: 502

That might also fix this guy problem:

Unfortunately same - and there is a guy with the same difficulties also:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6821183
legendary
Still no compressed keys?  I'm kinda surprised considering how much faster it makes the searching.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/create-vanity-bitcoin-addresses-four-times-as-fast-301068 ?

That might also fix this guy problem:

can`t get 12.8 and 12.10 drivers to work on win 8.1 at all - no ocl devices detected...
any workaround?
13.1 and 13.6 - devices detected, but won`t work with ocl

Thank you.

I had the same problem than i updated to 8.1 update 1 . And it was working.

8.1 update 1 - 12.8 and 12.10 wont work (

Do u have latest graphic drivers?

what you mean?
I have tried 12.8 and 12.10 (on "win 8.1 update 1") and could not get any  software to recognize ocl devices.... (cgminer 3.7.2, oclvanitygen) (even these drivers were working good with cgminer 3.7.2 on "win 8")
I have tried 13.12 14.4 14.6beta drivers - ocl devices are recognized under win 8.1 update 1 and working fine with cgminer 3.7.2 for example. But even oclvanitygen recognizes ocl devices - it won`t produce any keys. I`m getting following errors:

[25.60 Mkey/s][total 113246208]                                                Match idx: 0
CPU hash: 62877214296428cff20ae302409afcabd66b05f1
GPU hash: 86c80e8df57566f7401c78c932b0862b13269b7e
Found delta: 6291453 Start delta: 1
Match idx: 0
CPU hash: a7154bbe3446797050205a116adc2a4b0e05Match idx: 0
CPU hash: eaf026c81206d7baf5a8ee137fa62d7b1efa1359
e11b
GPU hash: 2b5e766241541bf70a8ccc2489acMatch idx: 0
CPU hash: d73417646c48df0a688e6eca77b02291e3041f88
GPU hash: 9da6ec6c7c488c63ce5cfea3a1c4ec55f9734956
e87fc51bdf0c
Found delta: 6290172 Start delta: 1

As wiki states:

For AMD Catalyst 13.1+ you need to run the AMD APP SDK Runtime from Catalyst 12.10 in order to get this program to work. (So all your Catalyst drivers would be brand new except for the SDK Runtime.) This is discussed on GitHub. For Linux, use AMD APP SDK 2.7.
(https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen)

there is incompatability of new drivers and oclvanitygen

So I also tried to install 2.7 and 2.8 amd app sdk on 12.10 13.12 14.4 drivers - with no success.

Basically what I`m asking - is there any solution to use oclvanitygen on win 8.1 update 1, or whatever latest patched and updated windows 8.1 is named.

That is rly weird. We need somebody from devs of vanitygen to help u out.

legendary
Yeah it would make life much more easier. How hard is to implement that ?
I did not saw any devs commenting on this thread in a long time.
I have a hack of an implementation for cpu only— I don't have any gpus anymore, so doing more than that wasn't interesting to me. https://people.xiph.org/~greg/compressed.keys.patch

Tnx, i will take a look at it when i get bit more time. I think it will be much much faster .
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
Jump to: