Pages:
Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 2. (Read 1152778 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 7
Now after sending funds to the P2SHAddress, I tried to import the private key in Eletrum and it was showing 0 balance with the wallet address that starts with 14h

Now as for Electrum, how did you import it? A private key that starts with 5 will give you an uncompressed legacy address. It will not give you neither P2SH nor Segwit Native / Nested, unless you import a compressed private key (it starts with 'K' or 'L').

I used https://www.bitaddress.org to get the compressed Privkey that starts with L L3hKt6aicGfhpdgb1WqfnFsoNKwHzk89MWXFeS69DKYk2xLyGaVi. I went back to electrum and import the compress private key with p2wpkh-p2sh:L3hKt6aicGfhpdgb1WqfnFsoNKwHzk89MWXFeS69DKYk2xLyGaVi and it gave me 0 balance too with a different P2SH address 35rgCLBLcXgHxb16KSVRMSUZ4bYc9Y42uS instead of the expected P2SH address vanitygen generated.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
There is no uncompressed P2(W)SH address
As far as I know, it's non-standard, but there can be such valid transaction. I don't know if it was standard in versions prior the currents.

but since this tool was built before Segwit became a thing, I would rule out different private key types as being the cause (as long as this person was aware of this fact).
Before Segwit, wasn't there only P2PKH and P2SH as single-sig address types? So it's normal that it printed him two types.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Now after sending funds to the P2SHAddress, I tried to import the private key in Eletrum and it was showing 0 balance with the wallet address that starts with 14h
That's reasonable. You didn't send money to the legacy address. You sent to the P2SH address.

Now as for Electrum, how did you import it? A private key that starts with 5 will give you an uncompressed legacy address. It will not give you neither P2SH nor Segwit Native / Nested, unless you import a compressed private key (it starts with 'K' or 'L').

There is no uncompressed P2(W)SH address, maybe people have used the non-Segwit version of that in the past, but since this tool was built before Segwit became a thing, I would rule out different private key types as being the cause (as long as this person was aware of this fact).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
That's reasonable. You didn't send money to the legacy address. You sent to the P2SH address.

Activity: 6
Merit: 7
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
I'd say you can never have any hope of guessing the complete private key for a certain address correctly, so by definition brute-forcing isn't possible and thus brute-forcing software can't even exist.

I would disagree because it is known how a private key can be created and confirmed, it is just incredibly difficult. To have no hope at all you need something like one-time pad cryptography (as described under unbreakable code in the Wikipedia about brute force) where you can not confirm that you actually found the solution or simply an unknown process of creating the private key. Since this is not the case bitcoin can be brute forced.
In any case I agree to not call it bruteforceable since this creates the wrong understanding that there would actually be a possible at this moment.
Still if we see bitcoin in maybe 100o years where many addresses are used to store small amounts of bitcoin the chances are getting higher and higher to crack a random adress that hold some amount of bitcoin and there is basically nothing that could be done about it.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Vanitygen isn't a bruteforce tool, it can't search full addresses, it's only for generating "vanity" addresses.
Basically it is a bruteforce tool that could potentially bruteforce whole adresses.
When in doubt, check Wikipedia's definition:
In cryptography, a brute-force attack consists of an attacker submitting many passwords or passphrases with the hope of eventually guessing correctly. The attacker systematically checks all possible passwords and passphrases until the correct one is found.
I'd say you can never have any hope of guessing the complete private key for a certain address correctly, so by definition brute-forcing isn't possible and thus brute-forcing software can't even exist.
Magic

So I wouldn't call it a bruteforce tool unlike BitCrack; I'd stick with:
Vanitygen is a command-line vanity bitcoin address generator.

It is true but that is simply because it is not possible to crack a normal bitcoin adress. Not with vanitygen and also not with bitcrack. If it would be possible then we would have already seen some exchange wallets getting cleared out. In any case both tools are for a different purpose.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
Vanitygen isn't a bruteforce tool, it can't search full addresses, it's only for generating "vanity" addresses.
Basically it is a bruteforce tool that could potentially bruteforce whole adresses. But since adresses are to complex it is not possible to find a complete adress in any reasonable time. So people stick with just a tiny part of the adress that they bruteforce.
Yes, it's the underlying method of the tool as stated in the OP.
But it already has a limit of 27characters prefix (including '1'), more or it will return with an error.

So I wouldn't call it a bruteforce tool unlike BitCrack; I'd stick with:
Vanitygen is a command-line vanity bitcoin address generator.
Magic

Basically it is a bruteforce tool that could potentially bruteforce whole adresses. But since adresses are to complex it is not possible to find a complete adress in any reasonable time. So people stick with just a tiny part of the adress that they bruteforce.
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
I specify the desired addresses for which I want to pick up the key, and the application does not work without giving an error.
Even if my file -f addres_list.txt has only one specific address, I tried it in different ways, but it doesn't work, why?
Was it, " '1address.....' is too long"?

For the format, something like this should work (one per line):
Code:
1abc
1def
1ghj
1kmn
end
It seems vanitygen skips the last line so I specifically put "end" there so it'll search all the prefixes.
Activity: 22
Merit: 3
Tell please, what patterns format in -f parameter?
I specify the desired addresses for which I want to pick up the key, and the application does not work without giving an error.
Even if my file -f addres_list.txt has only one specific address, I tried it in different ways, but it doesn't work, why?
copper member
Activity: 31
Merit: 18
-snip- Does anyone know if there's a newer version or a similar program that creates a segwit address (that starts with bc1)?
VanitySearch can.
And it's relatively faster than Vanitygen/Oclvanitygen and has Nvidia GPU support.

Vanitysearch thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/vanitysearch-yet-another-address-prefix-finder-5112311
Github Repository: github.com/JeanLucPons/VanitySearch

Thank you so much! The fact that this program uses GPU makes a lot of difference. It created a lot more addresses in significantly less time!
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
-snip- Does anyone know if there's a newer version or a similar program that creates a segwit address (that starts with bc1)?
VanitySearch can.
And it's relatively faster than Vanitygen/Oclvanitygen and has Nvidia GPU support.

Vanitysearch thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/vanitysearch-yet-another-address-prefix-finder-5112311
Github Repository: github.com/JeanLucPons/VanitySearch
copper member
However since this is an old program, it creates non-segwit addresses. Does anyone know if there's a newer version or a similar program that creates a segwit address (that starts with bc1)?

Check these thread,
segvan: Segwit vanity address & bulk address generator.
narcissist - easy peasy vanity addresses - bech32 - split key

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for. narcissist program looks cool.
copper member
This is very cool, I downloaded and tried creating a bunch of vanity addresses. As long as the prefix is short, it creates an address in a matter of seconds on a regular computer.

However since this is an old program, it creates non-segwit addresses. Does anyone know if there's a newer version or a similar program that creates a segwit address (that starts with bc1)?
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 2529
Escrow Service
Try it without the -D and -grid parameter

And send me a PM i mean i have a faster software but talking in our home Language is better

Nest regards,
Willi
Activity: 1308
Merit: 508
Hey there,

I'm using the oclvanitygen and want to run 6 RTX 3090.

I first tried one but only get 270 MKey/s... what is wrong here?

This is what I use
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Adresse> oclvanitygen.exe -v -i -D 0:2,grid=1024x1024 -f comics.txt -o found.txt
legendary
Self-proclaimed Genius
It would be a digital ape fight for the reward and you by depositing on the address will make a number x of apes around the world at maximun excitement.
A fight of whon collect first, are you ready to fight? Are you fast enough?
Most of those "apes" have already set-up a system that can automatically sweep bitcoins sent to famous leaked private keys.
It's not about having fast reactions, it about having the fastest node, code, internet, etc. which IMO isn't exciting at all.

Creating a group that will watch this specific address could attract donators or even member of the group themselves will donate, yes.
But the ones who'll likely win are still the ones who've been collecting the funds, not the ones who are unaware of the info above.
legendary
Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363
This is a bit offtopic but did anybody find out a good and safe way to store your generated private keys for your vanity adresses?
You can use BIP38 encryption and print them. A decent password makes it very expensive to crack, so obviously make sure you don't lose the password. And encrypt it using the usual precautions, such as an air-gapped system running from RAM.
Just in case: make sure to verify recovering the private key from the paper before you need it to find back the private key.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for the Input
Pages:
Jump to: