Pages:
Author

Topic: Very severe blow to bitcoin - page 4. (Read 8749 times)

legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
July 10, 2014, 10:34:14 PM
When Gavin proposed the foundation a year or so before it was created the response here on this forum was overwhelmingly positive.  Only Theymos and a few others (myself included) voiced some concerns strongly enough to give the idea the thumbs down. 

Funny. I remember a spirited discussion with impassioned rhetoric both for and against...

Anyone who cares to can read it and make up their own mind:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-foundation-49841

That was merely the trial balloon. A lot of water passed under the bridge between that initial public brainstorm, and the actual announcement of TBF. See for example https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1224721
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
July 10, 2014, 09:54:21 PM
I suspect the OP really is the rawdog from Youtube.

If you look at his posting history, you will see he really likes master coin "because of the people behind it". He appears to have a strategy of investing in people, rather than specific technologies. That explains why he dismisses the importance of Bitcoin (the lead author was using a pseudonym and has left the project), while at the same time, elevates the importance of the Bitcoin Foundation. RawDog may have rightly pointed out that the BItcoin Foundation is now in trouble. Since he does not see any obvious leadership for Bitcoin, he concludes that Bitcoin must be in trouble as well.

I pointed out in a PM that mastercoin relies on Bitcoin. Don't recall a specific response to that.

I guess if Gold doesn't have leadership then it is going to be in trouble right?

TBF =/= Bitcoin in any way shape or form. In fact I do not support or endorse TBF.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
July 10, 2014, 09:52:34 PM

Andreas Antonop's tweet is the worst news yet that I've heard for bitcoin. 

Looks like Andreas is done with the Bitcoin Foundation. Good. Screw the Bitcoin Foundation.

"I can no longer have even the smallest association with the Bitcoin Foundation, because of the complete lack of transparency" https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/486926129409052672

The Bitcoin foundation has gained Pierce and lost Antonopolos.  This isn't going in the right direction at all.

You make as if "The Bitcoin Foundation" is anything of substance to Bitcoin.

The Bitcoin Foundation could die and never be spoken of ever again and it wouldn't affect the protocol of Bitcoin.

Boooyah!  Grin Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Let the chips fall where they may.
July 10, 2014, 08:09:27 PM
I suspect the OP really is the rawdog from Youtube.

If you look at his posting history, you will see he really likes master coin "because of the people behind it". He appears to have a strategy of investing in people, rather than specific technologies. That explains why he dismisses the importance of Bitcoin (the lead author was using a pseudonym and has left the project), while at the same time, elevates the importance of the Bitcoin Foundation. RawDog may have rightly pointed out that the BItcoin Foundation is now in trouble. Since he does not see any obvious leadership for Bitcoin, he concludes that Bitcoin must be in trouble as well.

I pointed out in a PM that mastercoin relies on Bitcoin. Don't recall a specific response to that.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
July 10, 2014, 07:44:01 PM
How does The Bitcoin Foundation even affect Bitcoin? Answer: It doesn't. That's like saying a small retailer stops accepting Bitcoin. Big woop. Only TBF is going down. About time people realize that they own nothing. No power.
To people outside the bitcoin community, they are the identifiable "voice of bitcoin".  See that Wall Street Journal article.  Brock Pierce did not push his way into TBF and all the way to the top just for vanity.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
July 10, 2014, 07:22:04 PM
How does The Bitcoin Foundation even affect Bitcoin? Answer: It doesn't. That's like saying a small retailer stops accepting Bitcoin. Big woop. Only TBF is going down. About time people realize that they own nothing. No power.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 10, 2014, 07:19:43 PM

Andreas Antonop's tweet is the worst news yet that I've heard for bitcoin. 

Looks like Andreas is done with the Bitcoin Foundation. Good. Screw the Bitcoin Foundation.

"I can no longer have even the smallest association with the Bitcoin Foundation, because of the complete lack of transparency" https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/486926129409052672

The Bitcoin foundation has gained Pierce and lost Antonopolos.  This isn't going in the right direction at all.

What's the big deal around the bitcoin foundation? It's irrelevant to me. It would probably be irrelevant to the rest of you if you'd just stop paying it any mind! Meanwhile, bitcoin keeps on keeping on....
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
July 10, 2014, 06:50:51 PM
Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.

Mark Twain
July 10, 2014, 06:46:50 PM
Bitcoin is like the metal-concrete house of the three little pigs tale, no wolf can blow it up, except maybe the ones of Wall Street...
You mean, someone like Brock Pierce? 

Wired Magazine,  2008-12-04
A Drive Through Laurel Canyon With Brock Pierce
http://archive.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/magazine/16-12/ff_ige_pierce
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Knowledge is Power
July 10, 2014, 06:24:00 PM
Are you bloody serious? The bitcoin foundation has almost jack all to do with bitcoin. I don't know how they started out, but for the last few years they've been nothing but a scam that took people's money to get rich. Andreas leaving them is a very, very good thing. The "Bitcoin" foundation stands for nothing but the enrichment of a few elite members.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
July 10, 2014, 06:15:08 PM

Title is wrong it should be "Very severe blow to the bitcoin foundation, Bitcoin unaffected"
Agree, nothing to do with bitcoin, people problems only
bitcoin foundation is nothing, its dust
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
July 10, 2014, 05:33:07 PM
When Gavin proposed the foundation a year or so before it was created the response here on this forum was overwhelmingly positive.  Only Theymos and a few others (myself included) voiced some concerns strongly enough to give the idea the thumbs down. 

Funny. I remember a spirited discussion with impassioned rhetoric both for and against...

Anyone who cares to can read it and make up their own mind:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-foundation-49841

Activity: 688
Merit: 500
ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!
July 10, 2014, 05:07:43 PM
But why aren't we funding a full time core dev in a decentralised fashion, with voting etc, yet? Is it because really, we are all just whiners who won't actually put in the effort/resources to solve the problem?

Mike Hearn's already got something hacked up just for that purpose, seeing as the TBF has become an impotent group of RealCoin P&D's

http://www.coindesk.com/mike-hearn-wins-40000-bounty-bitcoin-core-crowdfunding/

Yeah, I look forward to seeing what happens there!

If we could just have one full time dev hired purely by some kind of more decentralised voting/polling system... This would seriously help in taking some of the responsibility away from the foundation. They can continue existing, do wtf they want, as long as Bitcoin's future is not entirely dependent on them.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
July 10, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Activity: 224
VocalPlatform.com
July 10, 2014, 04:49:13 PM
Bitcoin is like the metal-concrete house of the three little pigs tale, no wolf can blow it up, except maybe the ones of Wall Street...
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
July 10, 2014, 03:06:28 PM
All the core developers who were with Bitcoin at the beginning are starting to leave, this could actually affect the price, especially if the Bitcoin foundation still has the ability to fuck with the network unless the community can create their own fork we all agree on.
We don't need to fork Bitcoin Core.

We have btcd.

We also have Obelisk.

Bitcoin doesn't need satoshi's client any more than the web needed Mosaic.

Excellent post  Smiley

Protocol is not the same as Client (however Mosaic was read only .. whereas Bitcoin clients DO WRITE to the blockchain so it is not exactly the same)
Activity: 182
July 10, 2014, 02:46:52 PM
But why aren't we funding a full time core dev in a decentralised fashion, with voting etc, yet? Is it because really, we are all just whiners who won't actually put in the effort/resources to solve the problem?

Mike Hearn's already got something hacked up just for that purpose, seeing as the TBF has become an impotent group of RealCoin P&D's

http://www.coindesk.com/mike-hearn-wins-40000-bounty-bitcoin-core-crowdfunding/
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
July 10, 2014, 12:16:54 PM
Of course, the OP would say it's a huge blow for bitcoin (even though it isn't). I mean, just look at his sig...

I don't see this as a huge issue for bitcoin, just for the foundation. But let's be honest, it's not like they have been doing anything particularly special in the recent months. So this might affect the lobbying effort, but nothing too much beyond that.
legendary
Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012
July 10, 2014, 12:14:03 PM
It's not a severe blow for bitcoin, it's a severe blow for The Bitcoin Foundation.

Actually it is good for bitcoin, because TBF looses the last bit of credibility. It paves the way for its dissolution. Then more efficient, non-political, democratic, and decentralized development initiatives will thrive.
July 10, 2014, 12:12:20 PM
So what? Cheesy
How is that going to affect the BTC price in negative way?! I dont get it, please someone explain!
The President of The Bitcoin Foundation  (the "The" being part of its name), billionaire virtual currency entrepreneur Brock Pierce, tells the Wall Street Journal that people should use RealCoin, a second-generation cryptocurrency, for e-commerce, instead of Bitcoin; since the latter is incurably volatile while RealCoin is pegged to the dollar. (However he expects some fringe bitcoiners to be displeased for silly ideological reasons.) 

Pages:
Jump to: