Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32112. (Read 26472429 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
The spread between Gox and Bitstamp is the smallest its been in a while, percentage-wise. Its only around 5%. this either means that Gox isn't high enough & will go higher in the future, Bitstamp is too high, or perhaps the arbitrage channels are opening up again.

well, if Gox is selling BTC it does not have that % difference should be going down.

exactly, dump some fractional reserve bitcoins on the exchange and suppress the price. oh, Gox!  Smiley

trivia question:

when was the last time that the price divergence between gox and bitstamp was this thin, and what happened in the days following?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
hmmmm.... charts look like double tops (except btcchina's spiky top)....  Undecided

My idea exactly. I think we might be at the top. Or near it.

You're looking at the wrong timeframe:

maybe but it's more like

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
hmmmm.... charts look like double tops (except btcchina's spiky top)....  Undecided

You're looking at the wrong timeframe:

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
hmmmm.... charts look like double tops (except btcchina's spiky top)....  Undecided

It's just a pause while the first stage separates.

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

Activity: 448
The spread between Gox and Bitstamp is the smallest its been in a while, percentage-wise. Its only around 5%. this either means that Gox isn't high enough & will go higher in the future, Bitstamp is too high, or perhaps the arbitrage channels are opening up again.

well, if Gox is selling BTC it does not have that % difference should be going down.

No, it will instead be instantly discovered as people attempt to withdraw BTC that doesn't exist.

You can delay Bank Wires infinitely, as they've shown. If you try to delay BTC withdraws, people will just stop using you.

Exactly.
There just needs to be some substantial competition for Gox... and people will go.

There is, its called Bitstamp.

Gox knows that it can't "print" Bitcoin, and clearly it doesn't. otherwise, the ask sum wouldn't be so low.
Activity: 275

No, it will instead be instantly discovered as people attempt to withdraw BTC that doesn't exist.

You can delay Bank Wires infinitely, as they've shown. If you try to delay BTC withdraws, people will just stop using you.

Exactly.
There just needs to be some substantial competition for Gox... and people will go.

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
yes people will want to hedge against the shittyness of the new ipad
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
Apple offering iPad Mini w/ Retina in November. Bitcoin to da moon!?

exactly, dump some fractional reserve bitcoins on the exchange and suppress the price. oh, Gox!  Smiley
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Mini correction incoming?
legendary
an investment produces something, it has utility.
I take it you're not a gold bug?
i actually do own  some coins Smiley
Why?

for some of the same reasons some people are hoarding btc now.

knowing that mindset i believe the current run up that is happening now is not a sudden shift in detection of an unexpected increase in sustainable future value growth rates.

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Some people like me, sold enough BTC to live on for the next 4 years right after and during the march to 266 in case we did not get back to the highs for a while. I sold at $130 then and I'm not selling at $200 now. $500 to $1000 range is when I will sell a few more. I think more than a few people are just like me in this. We have enough cash to wait this out.

Seconded.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
legendary
I think it's a myth that Bitcoin's value mostly stems from transaction value or merchant adoption. The real driving force is long-term investment. Or rather, the value does stem from transaction value and merchant adoption, but not present transaction value or merchant adoption but future transaction value and merchant adoption. One of the things that investors do is drive up the price of things that will serve a valuable function in the future, since most people won't buy them now since they're not valuable for that purpose now.
You beat me to it  Wink

i actually do own  some coins Smiley

edit: and i do keep some of them under my mattress...
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
the present value should already contain all discounted future value, which is anticipated by market participants.  although one could make an argument that market participants are growing temporarily driving up the price.
Inflation adjusted interest rates are veering negative in unbacked currencies that may also default.  The question of the revaluation of discounted future value seems that it is being answered by the market in the moment.

Oh...And tulips are pretty too.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
I think it's a myth that Bitcoin's value mostly stems from transaction value or merchant adoption. The real driving force is long-term investment. Or rather, the value does stem from transaction value and merchant adoption, but not present transaction value or merchant adoption but future transaction value and merchant adoption. One of the things that investors do is drive up the price of things that will serve a valuable function in the future, since most people won't buy them now since they're not valuable for that purpose now.
You beat me to it  Wink

Jump to: