Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32428. (Read 26470811 times)

legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL
Always amused by canadianbitcoins.com's graphs. Can someone tell me what the yellow line is?

I guess weighted price.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE
Always amused by canadianbitcoins.com's graphs. Can someone tell me what the yellow line is?

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 1414
HODL OR DIE
If the USA goes negative bitcoins then it gives countries like China/Russia a reason to promote it. The vacuum will fill. Bitcoin is as solid if not moreso than bittorrent, there is nothing that can be done to quash it. You can buy cocaine for $2000 in Colombia and sell it for 20k in America. Guess why.
legendary
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Online poker slowed down after UIGEA but didn't die... far from that. The US is not the center of the world. Europe, Canada, Russia and maybe Asia, central/south america is getting pretty big.

The UIGEA passed in 2006. They didn't shut down the poker sites until 2010. I'll never forget the day I went to pokerstars.com and there was the FBI badge staring me in the face saying the site had been seized. So ya, poker in the US is now effectively dead.

However, thanks to lobbying efforts by the Poker Players Alliance and others, some states now allow it and there is federal legislation allowing it pending.

I don't think the US gov shut down online poker because they are against it, but rather because it was a billion dollar industry and growing that was dominated by European companies. So what do they do? Ban it, then allow it back once the infrastructure for a US dominated industry in ready.

Bitcoin could put the US in a great spot if they play it correctly, so it's a bit of a different scenario.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
bitcoin don't care if US don't like bitcoin, bitcoin is still going to be worth more than your car, bitcoin doesn't give a shit

Cheesy

Drinking that juice I see
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
I agree that the US play an important part of the world economy.
The US is not the center of the world.

I agree. However US citizens are the biggest consumers. Companies, manufacturers, etc. depend on the flow of the USD or future speaking US Bitcoin. Without it the growth or even existence is snuffed out.

Where would China be without the US need?
How are the markets in other countries effected when the US tanks?
How many countries will not make enemies with the US?
How many countries will allow their corporations, banks, etc. deal with US citizens aiding them in doing something illegal to US citizens.

Silk Road, and businesses like it will be the only use for Bitcoin at that point. It will be that "cool" thing that we all did, and made some money from but got scolded like children for doing it. And we will stop because our "Democratic Government" and the "Free" country we live in told us so, for our own protection of course.

Look at Gox, they can't even find a bank willing to help with the transfers to US banks. Nobody wants that kind of risk. Either that or they massively borrowed against the funds deposited on Gox and can not repay their traders fast enough and it's all a giant ponzi scheme.

Just saying keep your eyes wide open, be alert, and have an exit strategy if needed.

I love BTC and am currently creating some pretty cool items around it that I will be introducing next week. I am not slowing down, put I am paying close attention.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
bitcoin don't care if US don't like bitcoin, bitcoin is still going to be worth more than your car, bitcoin doesn't give a shit

Cheesy
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Online poker slowed down after UIGEA but didn't die... far from that. The US is not the center of the world. Europe, Canada, Russia and maybe Asia, central/south america is getting pretty big.
In regards to the Fox news story;
When the US Government gets involved and starts regulating BTC to the point it is very hard to get, or it is easier to just use the USD Bitcoin will tank and fast. If the US government wants to shut down BTC they will do it just like they did with the poker sites and stop the flow of money.
The mass adoption of BTC will be haulted because the general public in America do not know the first thing about VPNs and are too scared of the government to find away around it. Americans are also so self absorbed and all encompassed in everything that is America including the dollar that BTC is a "fad", something to make some fiat with, and if told they weren't allowed to have it they would just let it go. BTC is not main stream enough yet for there to be mass public outrage demanding that it be legal. Look at all the poker players here who threw a HUGE fit, didn't matter, shut it down regardless.

I am an American. I can tell you when something becomes big enough to land in the lap of the US Government and they can not profit from it, and it also threatens their financial system, it's only a matter of time.

And whoever said that the price will go crazy high if it's banned in America might be right, but without USD and US volume it is only a matter of time.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
legendary
Activity: 896
what is the effect of this kind of bid-ask swapping?

I'm not sure it could either be just a really stupid bot with alot of coins or some kind of DOS.

It basically keeps the bid sum / ask sum ratio the same while filling the orderbook with "fake" orders.
Let's say the market starts trending down, which means people are creating more ask orders than bid orders,
now everytime someone places an ask order, i remove the same amount of coins from the ask side.
This would cause the orderbook to keep looking bullish while in fact it's quite bearish.

Or I could do the opposite and create fake orders everytime someone removes an ask order, the orderbook would look the same while in fact it's pretty thin on the ask side.. If i'd want to do a whale buy I could pull all my fake ask orders and I'd just have to buy the little rest of "real" ask orders.

This would require alot of coins though and I'm still not sure if I believe there's someone messing around with >$3m.

Impossible, because the price points are the same. To maintain the bid sum, you would never be able to have the exact same bid price as the person adding their own bid there.

Also, I dont see anything odd at all in chartbuddy. Bitcoinity is its typical terrible self and showing things that arent happening as happening in its chart. Its been doing that for weeks [Constant Add/Removal of walls]. Almost every time, it never happened.
legendary
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I know you will come up with a bunch of excuses instead of admitting you're wrong.
But whatever.
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/bitpay-processes-5-million-in-march-eclipses-silk-road/
Keep in mind this is just from one merchant!

I might be mistaken, but couldn't a lot of that be because people were placing orders for ASIC miners at that time? I would be more interested in how they did in the months after the initial crash.
Activity: 625
Merit: 501
x
I always thought it would be a neat statement to set my ask a few bucks above the spot price of gold.  If enough people got behind such a movement, there'd be this bizarre, giant wall waaaaay out there.

People couldn't help but think about that future price.  "How long til it gets there?"  Planting those psychological seeds, for a more appropriate price point!

legendary
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
It'll be a while before SR isn't the defining characteristic of the bitcoin "economy".

Imho, "gold 2.0" is more defining for the bitcoin "economy" than SR is.

Serial numbers are so last-year. I believe cutesy names are the current fashion. "Gold Chatty-Chipmunk" or somesuch.
Jump to: