Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32486. (Read 26471607 times)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.
You are an individual, not a company.

Contrary to 'popular belief' companies are not people Smiley

Please watch this from 0:07:24, for at least 3 minutes, and comment back.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
This is all about does Paypal believe that bitcoin will be huge or not. If they do, then they should become new Gox. This would be good.
Isn't there a better thread for this?
PayPal would shift from "engine for Bitcoin scammers" to "big man on bitcoin campus" in the minds of many.  That "good will" might be worth something.  They would also benefit from the carry trade in a way that they don't with USD or other fiat.  They were once deeply innovative, and sought to change the world in the way that Bitcoin is doing so (in the Elon Musk, Ken Howery days, both of whom like Bitcoin).
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/money/investing/paypal-founder-invests-bitcoin

Paypal, with its lobbying heft, may also be sweeping the market clear of the less compliant to make room for it to plop itself down in a clean space in the market.  There is much about this that makes sense, but it assumes a combination of sagacity and shrewd cunning on the part of folks who are keeping their cards hidden.

Some VERY good points. Thanks for sharing that.
I really do wonder about PayPal being a deciding factor AND being able to, in a way, do with BTC what they once hoped for with Pay Pal (but were regulated out of being possible).
Its about sharing
legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
This is all about does Paypal believe that bitcoin will be huge or not. If they do, then they should become new Gox. This would be good.
Isn't there a better thread for this?
PayPal would shift from "engine for Bitcoin scammers" to "big man on bitcoin campus" in the minds of many.  That "good will" might be worth something.  They would also benefit from the carry trade in a way that they don't with USD or other fiat.  They were once deeply innovative, and sought to change the world in the way that Bitcoin is doing so (in the Elon Musk, Ken Howery days, both of whom like Bitcoin).
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/money/investing/paypal-founder-invests-bitcoin

Paypal, with its lobbying heft, may also be sweeping the market clear of the less compliant to make room for it to plop itself down in a clean space in the market.  There is much about this that makes sense, but it assumes a combination of sagacity and shrewd cunning on the part of folks who are keeping their cards hidden.
legendary
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Companies don't have to want BTC at this stage.  Let them take their fiat.

But when they start seeing the option to pay their suppliers in BTC they might look further.  It is only AFTER mass adoption that most merchants will want to accept it directly.  They don't want to be speculators, but if it can cut costs they might consider holding some briefly.  PayPal could give Bitcoin quite a bit of momentum in that direction by accepting Bitcoin payments for conversion to the recipient's local fiat for all accounts.  They already have the legal team with the most expertise in internet payment and currency conversion regulations.  They could leverage their unique capabilities, but they also know that they can time their entry because any other entrant has to spend a lot more time and money deciphering and meeting regulations.  Just because they will be ready to throw the switch doesn't mean they will just yet.

It's not like Paypal is going to reduce its fees.  I just don't see what benefit a business has to accept BTC over fiat, via PP.  if they are planning to do some Ripple-esque type deal where you can pay someone with BTC and they can receive USD, that would be cool.  Still expensive though.  If that were the case, it would be smarter to just plug into Ripple directly and do it right.

Perhaps a bit separate a topic, but worth noting:

Where I see Pay Pal ruling is if they became an entry point into BTC. If they became the new Gox then the government would probably get it's regulations followed. I'm not saying I want that, but Pay Pal has the infrastructure and such to get BTC rolling. It would help BTC's growth and accepted immensely. Perhaps we'd then see that killer app. It would cost Pay Pal some of their business (and eventually maybe a lot of their business) but they would also have a foothold in a new economy (but for how long? e.g. - decentralized exchanges, etc.)

legendary
Antifragile
Companies don't have to want BTC at this stage.  Let them take their fiat.

But when they start seeing the option to pay their suppliers in BTC they might look further.  It is only AFTER mass adoption that most merchants will want to accept it directly.  They don't want to be speculators, but if it can cut costs they might consider holding some briefly.  PayPal could give Bitcoin quite a bit of momentum in that direction by accepting Bitcoin payments for conversion to the recipient's local fiat for all accounts.  They already have the legal team with the most expertise in internet payment and currency conversion regulations.  They could leverage their unique capabilities, but they also know that they can time their entry because any other entrant has to spend a lot more time and money deciphering and meeting regulations.  Just because they will be ready to throw the switch doesn't mean they will just yet.

It's not like Paypal is going to reduce its fees.  I just don't see what benefit a business has to accept BTC over fiat, via PP.  if they are planning to do some Ripple-esque type deal where you can pay someone with BTC and they can receive USD, that would be cool.  Still expensive though.  If that were the case, it would be smarter to just plug into Ripple directly and do it right.

Perhaps a bit separate a topic, but worth noting:

Where I see Pay Pal ruling is if they became an entry point into BTC. If they became the new Gox then the government would probably get it's regulations followed. I'm not saying I want that, but Pay Pal has the infrastructure and such to get BTC rolling. It would help BTC's growth and accepted immensely. Perhaps we'd then see that killer app. It would cost Pay Pal some of their business (and eventually maybe a lot of their business) but they would also have a foothold in a new economy (but for how long? e.g. - decentralized exchanges, etc.)
legendary
Antifragile
Its going up!
I feel it in my bones,
I know that ask wall's bout to blow

Several indicators are looking good, but not great. To really go up we need the 1.0 - 1.5 million $ that are not seen
on the bid sum at MtGox. So right now it could be just a flash in the pan.

Coming from a neutral perspective -
If someone had $1,000,000 in their account to buy BTC's on an exchange would it show up on the bid sum? I don't think so. When we see those large market orders made (e.g. since $65) they came out of the blue I believe and weren't there as walls on the order books.

I just think we have to be really really careful looking too much into the order books as they are constantly manipulated. That said, I do use them, it usually does help to observe trends.
legendary
legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Oh dont worry about me, remember I'm the guy who sold like an idiot at $102.65.

people still use gox?

apparently 48% of people
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/
Activity: 168
Its going up!
I feel it in my bones,

Several indicators are looking good, but not great. To really go up we need the 1.0 - 1.5 million $ that are not seen

Oh dont worry about me, remember I'm the guy who sold like an idiot at $102.65.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1094
Its going up!
I feel it in my bones,

Activity: 168
One major bearish sign is that there have been no recent bitcoin music videos made as far as I'm aware.

I've been waiting for a while for a video talking about how bitcoins are on sale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAWdljhD5o) or "shit its 99 bucks" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes)

(In a child's voice) Hey Macklemore can we go ASIC shopping?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thbsg9i2mZ0

Its going up!
I feel it in my bones,
Jump to: