Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32488. (Read 26471635 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Merchants want fiat not BTC.  Unless paypal merchants can receive BTC payments in USD, it will mean nothing.  The only other benefit is people can buy BTC with Paypal.  Cool addition but hardly an earth shattering update.  Even if such rumors were true, any rise in value would be little more than a speculative bubble if its just BTC -> BTC transactions.  My $0.02.

You mean sorta like exactly what BitPay does? Of course Paypal would include that option.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
They are registered as a money transmitter almost all over the world. They must have a great legal team and lots of experience.
If they'd adopt it now they'd become the mtgox of bitcoin transmitting overnight.

Some day we will either laugh at thinking, that devil could adopt bitcoin, or laugh how we thought they didn't see the obvious opportunity.

Merchants want fiat not BTC.  Unless paypal merchants can receive BTC payments in USD, it will mean nothing.  The only other benefit is people can buy BTC with Paypal.  Cool addition but hardly an earth shattering update.  Even if such rumors were true, any rise in value would be little more than a speculative bubble if its just BTC -> BTC transactions.  My $0.02.
I tend to disagree. Adoption by a "bank" as huge as PayPal would:
1) Generate a massive media coverage.
2) Make much more things available for purchase using Bitcoin through PayPal's currency exchange.
3) Make many companies adopt Bitcoin if it'd be as easy as "selecting an option" in PayPal.

+1.  In addition, PayPal would love it because they could buy BTC with PPUSD.
Activity: 168
The only way a merchant would want BTC is if a supplier wanted BTC. This could be just somebody selling a service, which would be fine, but if you are buying an actual product, you'd need the manufacturer to want BTC, which would mean you'd need some of the people working for the manufacturer to want BTC (or I suppose the raw goods provider).

What I'm trying to say is that no big company is going to want BTC at this point unless they are either (A) created from the ground up around BTC or (B) they have some way of offloading that BTC to individuals that want BTC. Companies at this point wont want BTC, people will.
Activity: 168

Would be worth more if it was 0.02 BTC
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
not sure why paypal isn't taking bitcoin right now... they coulda woulda shoulda made a butt load of money...

must be because bitcoin is Brand spanking new, no one is quite sure who to deal with it. WU was also talking about using bitcoin... let see who moves first
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
that guy on reddit is just a troll trying to raise the price in his favour
I also think so.
we have to ask ourselves the question, what would paypal gain right now by accepting bitcoin as a form of payment?
Right now I think they'd would loose a lot. They obviously can't take 10% fees from bitcoin. People would think that it's a ripoff.
Them adopting BTC would cause massive adoption by businesses and they'd loose a lot of revenue from fiat.

Maybe in 5 years. Not too fast [to keep revenue high], not too late [to still be in business when fiat starts dying].

The longer they wait, the longer companies like BitPay gain market share. Secondly the longer they wait, the longer they risk some other big-name established company in and taking over the Bitcoin payment scene. Thirdly, working with Bitcoins would open the door to in-store revenue for paypal (picture every brick and mortar store having a paypal bitcoin machine at the cahier desk). Fourthly, it would open to the door to more global opportunities in countries where their current system isn't being used, as well as put Western Union and Moneygram out of business with paypal's bitcoin-remittences. Lastly, and I don't know the legality of this, but if they own a bunch of Bitcoins, they could make a ton of money off the price increase that would come with their integration as well as the furthered adoption it would bring.

and paypal has pretty much infinite PPUSD so...  Grin
Activity: 238
I also think so.
we have to ask ourselves the question, what would paypal gain right now by accepting bitcoin as a form of payment?
Right now I think they'd would loose a lot. They obviously can't take 10% fees from bitcoin. People would think that it's a ripoff.
Them adopting BTC would cause massive adoption by businesses and they'd loose a lot of revenue from fiat.

Maybe in 5 years. Not too fast [to keep revenue high], not too late [to still be in business when fiat starts dying].

The longer they wait, the longer companies like BitPay gain market share. Secondly the longer they wait, the longer they risk some other big-name established company coming in and taking over the Bitcoin payment scene (or partnering with BitPay). Thirdly, working with Bitcoins would open the door to in-store revenue for paypal (picture every brick and mortar store having a paypal bitcoin machine at the cahier desk). Fourthly, it would open to the door to more global opportunities in countries where their current system isn't being used, as well as put Western Union and Moneygram out of business with paypal's bitcoin-remittences. Lastly, and I don't know the legality of this, but if they own a bunch of Bitcoins, they could make a ton of money off the price increase that would come with their integration as well as the furthered adoption it would bring.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Hey! That's my avatar!

legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
why is everyone talking about the paypal rumor again anyway, that's yesterday's news; did we not fully price that in Huh

Wink
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

the future
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code

Hey! That's my avatar!

HAHAHA. Had me completely fooled.
Very sneaky that.
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
I am.
Me too. Accent sounded familiar.

Now back to serious stuff.  Grin

Activity: 434
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503

Hey! That's my avatar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruxbzee-5sY

What is that accent? Are you from Quebec?
Activity: 434

Hey! That's my avatar!
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Jump to: