Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32541. (Read 26471356 times)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
hitting buy btn to watch bitstamp rocket! :  * 1,000BTC $$ *, watching mtgox stay 7$ over bitstamp, priceless  Cool

Buy Buy BUY!

Grin
Activity: 220
Merit: 100
So how many bitcoins has the new wall guy bought so far?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
good consolidation team!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
donator
Activity: 2772

You don't interpret them. You put chartbuddy on ignore and use this: http://trading.i286.org/

So they are just art?

They are the cumulated orderbook volume (bids and ask) over time
legendary
donator
Activity: 2772
You don't interpret them. You put chartbuddy on ignore and use this: http://trading.i286.org/

I have to say I completely switched to bitcoinity.org. reason: switching between bitstamp and gox is easy.

EDIT: I find bitstamp more exciting to watch. Also picture looks much more bullish imo.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
Must watch the walls at Bitstamp too. Apparently it surpassed MtGox for the first time in volume.
Activity: 826
Merit: 508
I would contend being owed btc by gox is different than usd. The btc is held in cold and hot storage whereas the usd is held by a bank that does not hold 100% of deposits.
I don't think it has anything to do with the bank's reserve policies.

What is clear from the regulatory atmosphere is that traditional banks are not open to bitcoin. Would you keep all your money with banks that won't process your payments? The problem for Gox is, obviously, that no banks want to touch them, and for good reason. That doesn't mean Gox can't pay you; like other grey/black markets (e.g. online poker for US), it just may take 3, or 6, or 8 months.

Regardless, I trust Gox's bank 100x more than I trust Gox. In my mind, if the risk is liquidity, it's much more likely that Gox will leave us holding the bag, not its bank. (I think this is extremely unlikely anyway)

No different than dollars, Gox only needs to keep as much BTC on hand as is required for payouts. Same as USD. They can do whatever they want; it's not as if they keep an open ledger than can be independently audited. It's all unsafe, regardless of banks. This is a highly unregulated market -- your BTC is not safe, your USD is not safe. If it comes to it, you'll be lucky to get pennies on the dollar for your USD balance years later, zilch for your BTC balance, if Gox goes down. At least banks have legally required reserve ratios. What is the legally required reserve ratio for BTC?  Tongue
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE
I would contend being owed btc by gox is different than usd. The btc is held in cold and hot storage whereas the usd is held by a bank that does not hold 100% of deposits.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
@MAbtc - Some very fair points although holding "debt" from gateways is the exact same thing as having BTC or USD in Gox or Stamp.  No difference whatsoever.  In fact, isn't it the Gox USD IOU's that are causing all this mess?
Yes, I have made this point before. I don't disagree at all. My point is the opposite -- that bitcoin exchanges are unsafe. I think people should be very aware of the risks of keeping significant value on these exchanges, as well as the risk of holding IOUs from ripple gateways.

I make this point in comparison to holding bitcoins in a wallet, or fiat cash in hand. The only way to mitigate this risk within Ripple is to hold XRP, which is plagued with problems as stated above.

Ahh gotcha.  Fair enough. 
Activity: 826
Merit: 508
@MAbtc - Some very fair points although holding "debt" from gateways is the exact same thing as having BTC or USD in Gox or Stamp.  No difference whatsoever.  In fact, isn't it the Gox USD IOU's that are causing all this mess?
Yes, I have made this point before. I don't disagree at all. My point is the opposite -- that bitcoin exchanges are unsafe. I think people should be very aware of the risks of keeping significant value on these exchanges, as well as the risk of holding IOUs from ripple gateways.

I make this point in comparison to holding bitcoins in a wallet, or fiat cash in hand. The only way to mitigate this risk within Ripple is to hold XRP, which is plagued with problems as stated above.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Transaction time is much faster, and they require no mining, which means that less energy and hardware is used to secure transactions with the Consensus system. I assume there is also no need to store the blockchain on the hard drives of thousands of users. I think it's worth speculating on.

All good points.  I would add that sending IOU's is nearly equally as fast as sending XRP.  Seconds typically.  I also agree that XRP is worth speculating on and do have decent amounts of XRP.  Although I believe the risk is worth the reward, I am very aware that the odds of XRP increasing significantly in value, are not on the side of the speculator.

@MAbtc - Some very fair points although holding "debt" from gateways is the exact same thing as having BTC or USD in Gox or Stamp.  No difference whatsoever.  In fact, isn't it the Gox USD IOU's that are causing all this mess?

@WonkyTonky...+1 for arbitrage.   Grin

since you have problems with understanding what others are saying to you (to get lost with that scam from that thread) welcome to my ignore list. I hope others will follow and moderator will remove this.
Jump to: