Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33260. (Read 26463764 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
LOL... when did I comment on programming or math in this thread?  I agree that MtGox is crap, but complaining about it doesn't do any good.

Ad hominems don't make you right, and when they are baseless, they hurt your credibility.

Ad hominems? What the fuck. From the guy throwing out the "let's see you do better" logical fallacy. But wait, you agree with me. Do you even know what ad hominem means? I already know I'm right (which you agree with), I'm just calling you out because it's baffling anyone would object to discussion of extremely concerning flaws in the trading engine and why after 3 years they refuse to address it despite the fact they have plenty of money. It had nothing to do with my argument, MtGox is indefensible, that's a given.

Your programming knowledge comes into question when you defend MtGoxs trading engine. "Where's your exchange" implies it's harder then it looks, I doubt you could do better, and they're not as awful as you're saying. Which is why I thought you were 6 years old (and/or retarded). It's hardly baseless, your reply does make me think you're autistic. Sorry.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
This account was recently hacked
There's something odd going on with Clarkmoody, it keeps showing walls then showing them as missing when I refresh the page.  The question is of course, are they there or not?  Maybe it's due to lag between the US based Clarkmoody and the Japan based MtGox.  Bitcoinity tells a different story too.

Clarkmoody often fails to show my asks and bids too
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Cool.  When is your exchange launching?

Oh right, unless you run an existing exchange, you can't possibility comment on how MtGox is run. Maybe those 7 people on the planet can chime in.

Are you 6 years old (and/or retarded)?

Fitty that cracked me up, thanks for the perfect response to the most retarded comeback to Gox criticism that is thrown around these parts  Grin Grin Grin

Sorry, I can only take so many YEARS of bitching and moaning about the same shit before I get sarcastic.  You've only had to put up with it for 3 months, so you probably have some patience left.  If he had added anything new, I wouldn't complain, but every point he brought up has been beat to death.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Haven't seen one of these posted in a while:

+1   On topic!
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Haven't seen one of these posted in a while:

legendary

Yup. I've done a fair bit of work with databases, there's no reason on earth a company that makes millions has a trading engine that lags that hard. Someone on reddit claims they calculated MtGox can handle 40 trades a second. 40?! Even 400 would be surprisingly low.

Agreed, they're slower by orders of magnitude than they should be.  A friend of mine works for a company that designs & programs custom hardware used by these high speed traders.  Order are processed in 1-10 microseconds, not tens of milliseconds.  The kicker is that they're been slow for years, which is inexcusable.  And they never bothered to rebrand to something bitcoin specific instead of Magic The Gather Online eXchange.

By comparison, this is what 10 milliseconds of stock trading of Merck looks like between various worldwide exchanges (London, NYSE, etc):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rB5jJuMP84E

I'm taking advantage of the lull in activity to cash out of Gox, and after their wire arrives, I'll send a wire to bitstamp.  I hope the exchange spread lasts until funds arrive.

Thank you.

Plenty of single server databases can do 1000s of queries a second. They've made millions. WTF. Anyone who has done any works on databases, should realize there's a huge problem when the trading engine lags 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes? Huh?

To show how bad it is, here's a simple example of how you can lag the fuck out of MtGox.

Break MtGox Engine

The fact this works, shows how poorly the whole setup is designed. But wait, I don't own an exchange, I should just be quiet. Despite the fact it's PAINFULLY obvious Gox is a pile of shit. And NotMe should change his sig because he doesn't have a clue about programming, or math. Sorry, you just don't. 

LOL... when did I comment on programming or math in this thread?  I agree that MtGox is crap, but complaining about it doesn't do any good.

Ad hominems don't make you right, and when they are baseless, they hurt your credibility.
528BTC wall moved back to $121 now
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
They are working on a new trading engine atm, when it's released perhaps you will finally get your ultra fast trading fantasy fulfilled. The only thing they have done so far is to upgrade their servers.

And if they never manage to improve their engine, well, then it's reasonable to assume they will eventually lose their market share isn't it? and when they do you'll still get your trading fantasy fulfilled. It's a win-win situation.  Wink

Patience... patience my friend... and if you can't wait for someone else to do all the dirty work, you know what you're free to do.
510BTC bid wall at $121 now moved to $122

Yup. I've done a fair bit of work with databases, there's no reason on earth a company that makes millions has a trading engine that lags that hard. Someone on reddit claims they calculated MtGox can handle 40 trades a second. 40?! Even 400 would be surprisingly low.

Agreed, they're slower by orders of magnitude than they should be.  A friend of mine works for a company that designs & programs custom hardware used by these high speed traders.  Order are processed in 1-10 microseconds, not tens of milliseconds.  The kicker is that they're been slow for years, which is inexcusable.  And they never bothered to rebrand to something bitcoin specific instead of Magic The Gather Online eXchange.

By comparison, this is what 10 milliseconds of stock trading of Merck looks like between various worldwide exchanges (London, NYSE, etc):

I'm taking advantage of the lull in activity to cash out of Gox, and after their wire arrives, I'll send a wire to bitstamp.  I hope the exchange spread lasts until funds arrive.

Thank you.

Plenty of single server databases can do 1000s of queries a second. They've made millions. WTF. Anyone who has done any works on databases, should realize there's a huge problem when the trading engine lags 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes? Huh?

To show how bad it is, here's a simple example of how you can lag the fuck out of MtGox.

Break MtGox Engine

The fact this works, shows how poorly the whole setup is designed. But wait, I don't own an exchange, I should just be quiet. Despite the fact it's PAINFULLY obvious Gox is a pile of shit. And NotMe should change his sig because he doesn't have a clue about programming, or math. Sorry, you just don't. 
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

Oh right, unless you run an existing exchange, you can't possibility comment on how MtGox is run. Maybe those 7 people on the planet can chime in.

You can comment all you want.
Meanwhile, they are there and making money.

If things were this simple, they would have been out-competed years ago.
Or you have an incredible business opportunity.

So... when is your exchange launching?  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 434

You can comment all you want.
Meanwhile, they are there and making money.

If things were this simple, they would have been out-competed years ago.
Or you have an incredible business opportunity.

So... when is your exchange launching?  Grin
Activity: 387

Activity: 448

Fitty that cracked me up, thanks for the perfect response to the most retarded comeback to Gox criticism that is thrown around these parts  Grin Grin Grin

legendary
You know what is messed up is that a 100k BTC buy order should be pretty much instant. What follows it is the part that may cause lag but I always find it odd that when the market moves really quickly in either direction gox lags like fuck. It is embarassing.

Yup. I've done a fair bit of work with databases, there's no reason on earth a company that makes millions has a trading engine that lags that hard. Someone on reddit claims they calculated MtGox can handle 40 trades a second. 40?! Even 400 would be surprisingly low. Either they're stubborn and refuse to hire outside help. Or they don't want outside help because they are insider trading the fuck out of market orders. The more trades that queue up (during lag) the more they can make. Large market order? Hang on, lets buy up some limit orders from the front, re-sell them at the back of the market order and we never lose.

Mark Karpeles has stated they want to go legit in the US and it will cost 25M. Wait, 25M? You've maybe made 4-5M? You have 18 employees? Where's the other 20M+ coming from? He's either going to use our fiat or MtGox has been insider trading the fuck out of the exchange.

The only reason I can see them sticking with such a poorly designed/running trading engine, is because they don't want anyone seeing how it works. Combine that with the lofty goals they have and no way they could pay for them unless they've been ripping us off for years.

The whole site is shady, the CEO is shady, the sooner they're dead and gone the better.

You know what is messed up is that a 100k BTC buy order should be pretty much instant. What follows it is the part that may cause lag but I always find it odd that when the market moves really quickly in either direction gox lags like fuck. It is embarassing.

Yup. I've done a fair bit of work with databases, there's no reason on earth a company that makes millions has a trading engine that lags that hard. Someone on reddit claims they calculated MtGox can handle 40 trades a second. 40?! Even 400 would be surprisingly low. Either they're stubborn and refuse to hire outside help. Or they don't want outside help because they are insider trading the fuck out of market orders. The more trades that queue up (during lag) the more they can make. Large market order? Hang on, lets buy up some limit orders from the front, re-sell them at the back of the market order and we never lose.

Mark Karpeles has stated they want to go legit in the US and it will cost 25M. Wait, 25M? You've maybe made 4-5M? You have 18 employees? Where's the other 20M+ coming from? He's either going to use our fiat or MtGox has been insider trading the fuck out of the exchange.

The only reason I can see them sticking with such a poorly designed/running trading engine, is because they don't want anyone seeing how it works. Combine that with the lofty goals they have and no way they could pay for them unless they've been ripping us off for years.

The whole site is shady, the CEO is shady, the sooner they're dead and gone the better.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Jump to: