Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33290. (Read 26463461 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
what's with all this bearish sentiment.

i guess you been to busy looking at charts to see that bitcoin is on fire!

Most of it comes from the Coinlab lawsuit, the DHS dwolla account freeze and satoshi dice blocking the US.
I think that is a pretty stern combination, but what do I know.  Tongue

CoinLab lawsuit, finally someone with the balls to take over mtgox in the us

DHS dwolla account freeze , yup its official bitcoin is for real.

satoshi dice blocking the US, LOL like thats going to stop anyone

See, you are purposefully missing the point.

Hint: They don't really look like isolated incidents to me.

you're the one missing the point.

Hint: your bitcoins are safe, and when FUD turns to facts...  Grin Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Does anybody see anything other than this same flat trend, that could very well last through the weekend?  Up, down, sideways?

Unless something big comes out of the conference, sideways through the weekend. Next week? I don't mind admitting that I have no idea. Smiley

Lots of good news lately, but lingering uncertainty around the Gox situation has me cautious. If I have to pick, I'm guessing that next week we go up.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

Most of it comes from the Coinlab lawsuit, the DHS dwolla account freeze and satoshi dice blocking the US.

See, you are purposefully missing the point.

Hint: They don't really look like isolated incidents to me.
Activity: 322
Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
Is that a wavelet transform?

Very close. It's Fourier transform.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

legendary

I think that is a pretty stern combination, but what do I know.  Tongue
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

legendary
Does anybody see anything other than this same flat trend, that could very well last through the weekend?  Up, down, sideways?

Yes, I do. I have a magical indicator that can see into the future  Tongue I am posting what the indicator tells me.

Sorry, I couldn't resist Smiley

Is that a wavelet transform?
Activity: 420
Well, a 2000 BTC sale can for sure kill a rally (smaller one). I would think for shorting to really really matter, we would have to be talking in the 10's of thousands? Thoughts.

Thanks for the information by the way. We have to look at everything, even those things we don't like to see.  Shocked

As Abandon mentioned, there are already new players coming online, and we'll continue to see more opportunities for shorting as the market matures. I think that's a good thing for market stability.

Yes, IMO a realistic, dispassionate analysis of your investments (or anything really) is incredibly important. I'm definitely a long term BTC bull, but I have to put a lot of effort into staying in touch with reality because I'm my own worst enemy. I've been burnt by my own willful blindness more than a few times. Smiley
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
Roll Eyes
silly bears...

Get some cash and pump the price i want to short Cheesy

why would you want to short ?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
supernode
Roll Eyes
silly bears...

Get some cash and pump the price i want to short Cheesy
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

Yes, I do. I have a magical indicator that can see into the future  Tongue I am posting what the indicator tells me.

Sorry, I couldn't resist Smiley
Activity: 448
[...] Does anybody see anything other than this same flat trend, that could very well last through the weekend?  Up, down, sideways?

I agree; I don't see much reason for any significant price action. Sideways for a while.

IMHO it's likely that some of the big players in the conference are currently using bots with stability algorithms. Either a tank or a huge spike and correction wouldn't look too good during the conference. Not that they have the power to completely protect against volatility, nor are they willing to risk more than a small percent of their bitcoins, but for people with large stashes it's not too hard to keep the market from doing crazy shit when you don't want it to, especially when your "bitcoin bros" are helping.

I don't think that's the main reason for the boring (healthy) price action. I think that's just the way it is right now. Market making could be a secondary factor, though.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1026
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
I wasn't aware of that. But, due to the design of the network, you can't do naked shorting I would think. So, shorting would mean, borrowing actual shares from someones account and then selling them and promising to buy them back at a later date. I would also think that you would have to cover the sell in cash and would be subject to margin calls as well. I don't know if shorting BTC nor derivatives, could really ever "work" at quite the same was as they do in the stock market. For one, most people don't keep their coins in the exchanges - right there you can't borrow them for sale.

It works on Bitfinex because there's a pool of USD and BTC that's lent on a P2P system in exchange for interest. USD interest is very high and BTC interest is very low.

I guess some investors would do that, but die hard BTC'ers would NEVER EVER allow their coins to be used for such purposes. In the grand scheme of things it is probably quite small at that site and I can only hope it stays that way. Again, due to the nature of the network, you are not going to see naked shorts. And, due to most keeping larger amounts of coins offline, you just won't get the short volume needed to manipulate.

What is a naked short? Bitfinex is a great example, I at least like their concept, because it's actually "from the people, for the people" due to their P2P lending system. There are margin requirements, which by the way, could be one point the CFTC could regulate. (the requirements)

I'm not sure if I like it or not, because our overall goal should be a higher price, but I'm not sure, if my thought process isn't to shortsighted and this is an valid argument at all, because they have to buy back the coins when closing the position..

Anyway, you missed one importent point when it comes to money: where money can be made, there will always be people who try to exploit that. A current example would be the "true believers", who would never ever sell a Bitcoin, vs. the speculators, who trade the swings and are selling, buying lower etc.

Another thing to think about.. when we trade, we aren't actually transfering Bitcoins on the exchanges, but I assume, all Bitcoins are backed up by real Bitcoins.

I've read that the "real" finance does that at an even greater extent - many CFD (?) brokers simulate shorts etc. within their system, which results in a state, where traders play against the house and not against the market.

Well, I don't like shorting. It is another instrument of manipulation. I know derivatives can help miners, just as how they help farmers in agriculture, but moreso they can be instruments of manipulation. Luckily we are somewhat protected by the "infrastructure"/blockchain of BTC.

Did I miss that point, really? I said a few posts ago that BTC is just an intermediary away from money as we know it. I love what BTC stands for but in the end, not that far from now, I don't see money in it's current form (with or without a central controlling entity) being an answer. When you look at it, clearly money has problems. There is still too much power involved. Something more along the lines of a time based currency, to me, seems like a better solution. But that is alongside, and after, BTC.

When we trade EVERYTHING is in the blockchain. The shorts (which are just sells in this model) are in the blockchain. That is why I said naked shorts can't work. Something to consider with the stock market, A LOT of shares of stock are fake. The stock exchange itself should implement a blockchain model to control counterfeit shares.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Can we stop discussing this now please?  It's all been said already

Sure! If you're not sure press reply! Smiley
Jump to: