Pages:
Author

Topic: We do not have a gun culture problem, we have a culture problem. - page 4. (Read 5295 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1767
Cлaвa Укpaїнi!
But who knows, the 3D printer might just be the first step towards a Star Trek like replicator, and then you can just order some Earl Grey, hot, and a box of 9mm parabellum.
legendary
Cлaвa Укpaїнi!
Actually the main and important point is that it is a right in the USA and a privilege in most other countries.
And interestingly, now with Bitcoin the question arises whether fiat currency is a right of the State, or may it be a privilege.

And whether the people have a right to their own currency, or is it just a privilege.

This may prove to be equally important as the 1st and 2nd Amendments in it's effects on nations across the world.
Interesting point.

And on the gun issue: The coming 3D printers will make it very easy for anyone anywhere to manufacture a gun, in the future it might be the ammo that is restricted instead.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Taking down the government?
That's what elections are for.
But obviously many people here don't believe in democracy.
You think you can win an armed fight against the majority of the people?

It depends on the country but in a lot of western country the voting turnout is so low that the Democracy isn't actually representing the people at all.

But if the people doesn't want to vote, then that is also a part of the democracy, not voting is a kind of voting in it self, a way to say I don't care or I'm happy as it is.

We want to see our votes counted and the worst possible evil to NOT "win" whenever it counts. Only one of these actually happens, so why should we waste our time on a discarded vote?

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". -Stephen Decatur Miller

We are at the jury box stage right now. If the courts refuse to obey the law and SCOTUS rules to the effect of "there is no right to self-defense, so disarmament and subsequent genocide is absolutely legal", then there will be a full-blown civil war in the U.S. again, but between the tyrannical, undemocratically unelected tyrants, and we the people.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
Actually the main and important point is that it is a right in the USA and a privilege in most other countries.
And interestingly, now with Bitcoin the question arises whether fiat currency is a right of the State, or may it be a privilege.

And whether the people have a right to their own currency, or is it just a privilege.

This may prove to be equally important as the 1st and 2nd Amendments in it's effects on nations across the world.
legendary
Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

Just as with freedom of speech, armed self-defense is a right of all people everywhere, regardless of whether the local authorities protect it or violate it.

Few countries have enshrined that right in law to the extent of the 2nd Amendment.  That's a shame; where government fears its citizens liberty exists, where citizens fear their government, the opposite.

I agree that it is a natural right, but I'm afraid the courts don't obey by those laws.
legendary
Cлaвa Укpaїнi!

It depends on the country but in a lot of western country the voting turnout is so low that the Democracy isn't actually representing the people at all.

But if the people doesn't want to vote, then that is also a part of the democracy, not voting is a kind of voting in it self, a way to say I don't care or I'm happy as it is.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

Just as with freedom of speech, armed self-defense is a right of all people everywhere, regardless of whether the local authorities protect it or violate it.

Few countries have enshrined that right in law to the extent of the 2nd Amendment.  That's a shame; where government fears its citizens liberty exists, where citizens fear their government, the opposite.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

It depends on the country but in a lot of western countries the voting turnout is so low that the Democracy isn't actually representing the people at all.
legendary
Cлaвa Укpaїнi!
legendary
No.  And yes, that's what elections are for.

I'm just noting what the actual intent of the 2nd amendment is.  You can say  it's crazy, or that it isn't relevant today.  Whatever.  Doesn't matter what you think, really.

The second amendment is so that you (the majority) can take down a corrupt government, i.e. a government that does no longer adhere to the constitution. Not for a small minority to stage a coup d'etat.
We could argue the details, yes.  But the main and important point is that the right to own weapons in the USA is not related to a right to target shooting, or a right to hunt animals.

It is a right to own weapons for defense of oneself, one's family, and one's society, up to and including against a government which has turned gangster.  And this right is not subjugated or limited by any stated democratic process such as "elections."
legendary
Cлaвa Укpaїнi!
No.  And yes, that's what elections are for.

I'm just noting what the actual intent of the 2nd amendment is.  You can say  it's crazy, or that it isn't relevant today.  Whatever.  Doesn't matter what you think, really.

The second amendment is so that you (the majority) can take down a corrupt government, i.e. a government that does no longer adhere to the constitution. Not for a small minority to stage a coup d'etat.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy

Elections are for the government to count the votes in favor of the worst possible evil. Electoral fraud is the rule, not the exception.
legendary
The statistics on gun deaths in Europe are not really different than in the U.S. We do have a lot of shootings every year, but in Europe the whole continent kills each other off every once and a while. Mostly unarmed people are rounded up and executed in the millions. That is supposed to be a better system? It would could not happen that way here.
Well, they won't try that on the Swiss, either.

Odd (not REALLY) how Europeans would like to talk us into disarming the citizens of the US.  But they never say that about the Swiss.
Yeah. And the Swiss seem to always avoid the wars. When I was in Croatia during the civil war the Serbs were slaughtering the Croats. Once the guns arrived for the Croats the fighting ground to a near halt.  It is more dangerous when only one side is armed, IMO.
Yep.

It's just not fair, an armed robber should have to worry about the homeowner having assault rifles.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
The statistics on gun deaths in Europe are not really different than in the U.S. We do have a lot of shootings every year, but in Europe the whole continent kills each other off every once and a while. Mostly unarmed people are rounded up and executed in the millions. That is supposed to be a better system? It would could not happen that way here.

Odd (not REALLY) how Europeans would like to talk us into disarming the citizens of the US.  But they never say that about the Swiss.
Yeah. And the Swiss seem to always avoid the wars. When I was in Croatia during the civil war the Serbs were slaughtering the Croats. Once the guns arrived for the Croats the fighting ground to a near halt.  It is more dangerous when only one side is armed, IMO.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
legendary
No.  And yes, that's what elections are for.

I'm just noting what the actual intent of the 2nd amendment is.  You can say  it's crazy, or that it isn't relevant today.  Whatever.  Doesn't matter what you think, really.
Activity: 596
Merit: 500
But obviously many people here don't believe in democracy. But obviously many people here don't believe western nations are democraty anymore.

fyp
Activity: 675
Merit: 514
legendary
I dont understand why you need to own a rifle if you arent a hunter.

I could understand a 9mm Semi automatic pistol in the drawer next to your bed if a home invasion should ever happen..
But the need for having rifles, smgs, and other weapons is just insanity.

12.000+ people gets shot in the US alone by fire arms.
That is insanely high..

Why cant you just put down the weapons and be like other nations..?

You cant own any kind of firearms in EU. Only if you have a hunting license, and a specific license for your hunting weapon..
Any person in the US can get a gun in less than 2 hours.

It's weird to me that people always make an exception for owning a gun as long as you are using it to kill animals. I target shoot. If I duct tape a bunny to the target, would that make it ok?
As for the people who get shot each year, you do realize those are criminals doing the shooting. And the victims are normally other criminals. This is an argument for having guns, right?
Lastly, your assertion that "Any person in the US can get a gun in less than 2 hours." is incorrect. There are many, many restrictions on firearms in the U.S. I bought a pistol last week and it took about a week to do the process of background checks and shipping to a FFL. It also involved a handfull of government agencies.

You see, when you say "Why cant you just put down the weapons and be like other nations..?"....

What happens here is that people don't believe the politician who encourages them in that direction, and they do the exact opposite.  There are, by the way, a huge number of liberal Democrats with lots of guns.  It's not just conservative thinkers. 
+1 I'm not a republican. But I am an American and we don't believe in an armed state ruling an unarmed populace. The state is subservient to our will and we must be able to fight it if necessary. That sounds dramatic, but one need look no further than the news to see why we like it that way. 
I mention this because a lot of people around the world have some mistaken ideas about the average US guy and guns.

The 2nd amendment in the US really is about taking down the government if need be.  LOL...  or the right of the citizens to forcibly, if need be, resist bad things by the government.....

I'm of the opinion that's "a good thing".  Might vary by country and area and history, whether it is a good thing or a bad thing.

IMHO:  Iraq and places like that, where terrorists run amok, everyone should be ARMED.

Pages:
Jump to: