Pages:
Author

Topic: What do you think are the biggest disadvantages of Bitcoin? - page 61. (Read 76730 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 257
Freshdice.com
I can't see the disadvantages of bitcoin because at first that i use bitcoin it has been a big advantage to me it helps me to pay my bills on house. But i only see the biggest problem about bitcoin is that the price of it is not stable sometimes the price of bitcoin decreases and sometimes it increases.
Activity: 127
Merit: 100
The only disadvantage I see in bitcoin at a moment is that the usage of bitcoin is very limited and it cannot be used at most of the places for shopping or paying at restaurants as bitcoin is still new to many countries and it will take long time to reach everywhere.
Indeed, although bitcoin is popular at the moment there are not enough investments, like for regular usage which makes it hard for normal people to find a reason to use instead of fiat, and it being used less for things we really need and more for gambling and other things like in the black market, gives it a bad reputation, but I think in the future this will eventually change as it becomes more and more popular.
The biggest problem can arise because Bitcoin is used for purchases of prohibited items, including on the Internet. If such things continue to go on then the governments of countries can severely restrict the rights of users, as well as their capabilities, in order to strongly control the crypto currency or worse the ban.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025
The only disadvantage I see in bitcoin at a moment is that the usage of bitcoin is very limited and it cannot be used at most of the places for shopping or paying at restaurants as bitcoin is still new to many countries and it will take long time to reach everywhere.
Indeed, although bitcoin is popular at the moment there are not enough investments, like for regular usage which makes it hard for normal people to find a reason to use instead of fiat, and it being used less for things we really need and more for gambling and other things like in the black market, gives it a bad reputation, but I think in the future this will eventually change as it becomes more and more popular.
copper member
Activity: 672
Merit: 270
What's preventing Bitcoins from being accepted as mainstream payment forms? I'm working on a new blockchain and would like to learn what drawbacks of Bitcoin urgently need to be improved Wink

the biggest disadvantages is the amount of fees every transactions and we cannot see it nor hold it, literally it is the major disadvantages of bitcoins I think.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
Biggest problem with bitcoin is deflation, im not sure if this would be a real threat but it one day could be.

Activity: 1288
Merit: 253
There is one disadvantage with Bitcoin and that is people trying to hold onto it. Some people know how to hold onto their Bitcoins and some people don't. From what I've been reading in this forum, the people that lose money while putting their money in many Altcoin ICO's  would've been better just by holding onto their Bitcoins instead of recklessly spending them.

That isn't a disadvantage to consider.

Although I don't get the point of your last statement, it's clearly that the concern you had there is a general behaviour and not as a direct thing related to the whole context of using bitcoin.

Also, you said that some people don't know how to hold coins and others know. Mate people have different views why some of them preferred holding and others don't. If their strategy works for them then we have nothing to do with it and just stick with our own way to deal with the current bitcoin price movement.

Many people choose to hold bitcoin because of limitations of their knowledge in trading and other bitcoin business. If this is said bitcoin disadvantages-wrong because it doesn't affect the actual price at all, it obviously benefits them because it refers to the rising bitcoin price trend and they not do any risk business and they call it fixed assets.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083
There is one disadvantage with Bitcoin and that is people trying to hold onto it. Some people know how to hold onto their Bitcoins and some people don't. From what I've been reading in this forum, the people that lose money while putting their money in many Altcoin ICO's  would've been better just by holding onto their Bitcoins instead of recklessly spending them.

That isn't a disadvantage to consider.

Although I don't get the point of your last statement, it's clearly that the concern you had there is a general behaviour and not as a direct thing related to the whole context of using bitcoin.

Also, you said that some people don't know how to hold coins and others know. Mate people have different views why some of them preferred holding and others don't. If their strategy works for them then we have nothing to do with it and just stick with our own way to deal with the current bitcoin price movement.
Activity: 812
Merit: 500
There is a bunch of disadvantages with Bitcoin, in fact there is just too many to really count out if I had to really go into it.
Activity: 1806
Merit: 672
Your so called disadvantage or personal problem can be solve easily. By simply converting your Bitcoin into Fiat you are not only solving your but also will make you save a lot of time. Because the confirmation time of sending Bitcoin as a payment is long in which you will also consider a problem. If you convert your Bitcoin to Fiat you are hitting two birds with one stone.
Activity: 268
It is apparently the confirmation times. No one wants to wait for the pending status or the transaction to be approved by miners for an hour. We are facing with the most important and innocent issue in Bitcoin.
Activity: 713
Merit: 501
Delay in confirmation time is the biggest disadvantage of bitcoin at a moment as sometimes it takes too long even for transaction to get confirmed even after adding higher fees and its really frustrating to wait when you are in need of money instantly.
Yep it is one of the disadvantages of Bitcoin. In addition, the disadvantage of Bitcoin is its questionable things it possess which some people might just move backward maybe they are scared that Bitcoin might just be a scam but this ignorance can be treated actually by educating thyself.

If bitcoin is questionable, then what about the government's currency. They get a good part of your income. They get even more money from you buying stuffs anywhere. Tax is everywhere and only a few people knows how to evade taxation. Most of them are rich people. If people are going to educate themselves, might as well educate themselves about the absurd/obsolete fiat system. Everyone's working for the government and most government just put the tax collected in their own pockets.

PS: Almost everything can be looked as a scam if you wanted to, especially when it's about money. People just can't be convinced that this thing is legit because of the abundant scam going on online.
Activity: 2590
Merit: 644
Delay in confirmation time is the biggest disadvantage of bitcoin at a moment as sometimes it takes too long even for transaction to get confirmed even after adding higher fees and its really frustrating to wait when you are in need of money instantly.
Yep it is one of the disadvantages of Bitcoin. In addition, the disadvantage of Bitcoin is its questionable things it possess which some people might just move backward maybe they are scared that Bitcoin might just be a scam but this ignorance can be treated actually by educating thyself.
That delay in confirmation will be fixed soon i think because bitcoin now is getting bigger and i'm sure those miners who left bitcoin will comeback and mine bitcoin again, the temporary slow transaction is just a sign for bitcoin that it is growing because the transactions are getting bigger and bigger because of the people who are starting to adopt bitcoin but it will be fix soon.
Activity: 294
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1060
The only disadvantage of bitcoin at a moment is that it is not accepted at offline places like restaurants or malls where we can spend them to buy food or clothes and apart from that I don't see any disadvantages attached with bitcoins.

I would not consider that as a disadvantage of bitcoin, that is a disadvantage for the owner of such businesses. It is the decision of the owner of the business whether to accept bitcoin or not. Another thing, why offline? Isn't bitcoin transactions are made online? I haven't seen nor heard about having bitcoin transaction offline.
It is still a disadvantage especially for the bitcoin users . Money is meant to spend and bitcoin is money . What's the point of it if you can't spend it as much as you want . You see people have a limitation since most of the companies especially the big ones doesn't accept it . Yes you can convert it to your local currency but there will be an extra charge of fees . You can also use third parties i.e. bitcoin debit cards but there will also be an extra charge . The best choice will always be to use it directly . So why would this be a disadvantage for the owners of the said businesses? When even if they only accepts fiat not bitcoin but everyone has fiat so payment methods will not really affect them but their service and product will .

Then it is still not a disadvantage of bitcoin. Would you even complain if you go to another country and pay products there using your local currency instead of theirs and they did not accept your payment? Of course not. Even if you say that money is meant to be spent as much as you want and saying that bitcoin is money. Your local currency is money and their local currency is also money. You must adjust to what type of payment the merchant wants and will not say that "this is also money." Do you get my point here?.

I claimed that that was a disadvantage of the owner of the business because they do not accept bitcoin as payment or do not even know what bitcoin is. If they accepts bitcoin as payment then the bitcoin they received may increase in value over time so this is what I meant about that disadvantage.

Bitcoin and local currency are two different things and you can't use the first one as an observation to conclude the other one. Your local currency might not be accepted in other countries but your own country will be always accepting it. Bitcoin, on the other hand, don't have a nation that will always accept it. No country use bitcoin as a payment method and the only way for you to ever use it directly for payment is to find the right store/shop.

We are talking about the nonacceptance of bitcoin on some businesses/stores and I claimed that this is not a disadvantage of bitcoin at all. Well I agree that bitcoin and local currency are different things, however, they are both accepted in a transaction or as a mode of payment so it is legit to base my thoughts on local currency because they (btc & local currency) have the same principle, they have the same concept. So what if other merchants do not accept bitcoin at all, can you consider this as a disadvantage of bitcoin? Hell no. It is in the matter of choice and if they do not take bitcoin then that's it. Do not blame bitcoin for that. Find another store that accepts bitcoin, as easy as that.

Because they have the same principle? How long of an argument this would be? Roll Eyes Bitcoin is so different than fiat when it comes to principle/concept.

This is the basic apples and oranges are both fruits but they definitely are two different things. (You should read about it) How come that bitcoin not being accepted by the merchants isn't a disadvantage? It definitely is a disadvantage since you have to convert your bitcoins to digital fiat first and then convert them to paper money before you can ever use it. "Find another store" is an absurd solution since there's not that much stores accepting bitcoins around. If you already gathered the stuffs that you're going to buy then you saw that they are not accepting bitcoins, are you going to find another store, gather the same stuffs again, and then pay with bitcoins? And if you're going to say "check the store first if they are accepting bitcoins", well, good luck with that. You'll reach USA before you can ever find one.

It's causing you problems/hassles, thus, it's a disadvantage.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Activity: 208
The establishment doesnt like it and tries to destroy it. By regulation or subvertion.
Activity: 490
For me, the most pressing issue is the lack of government recognition and vagueness of the tax implementations. I am living in a third world country, and here none of the guys in the income tax department have ever heard about Bitcoin. I don't know how much tax I need to pay.

I think you should consult some good chartered accountant as he will be surely aware about bitcoins and he will guide you in the best possible way and will let you know how much tax you have to pay depending on the income that you have in bitcoins.
Activity: 457
Merit: 262
For me, the most pressing issue is the lack of government recognition and vagueness of the tax implementations. I am living in a third world country, and here none of the guys in the income tax department have ever heard about Bitcoin. I don't know how much tax I need to pay.
Activity: 406
Activity: 406
https://gexcrypto.io
The only disadvantage of bitcoin at a moment is that it is not accepted at offline places like restaurants or malls where we can spend them to buy food or clothes and apart from that I don't see any disadvantages attached with bitcoins.

I would not consider that as a disadvantage of bitcoin, that is a disadvantage for the owner of such businesses. It is the decision of the owner of the business whether to accept bitcoin or not. Another thing, why offline? Isn't bitcoin transactions are made online? I haven't seen nor heard about having bitcoin transaction offline.
It is still a disadvantage especially for the bitcoin users . Money is meant to spend and bitcoin is money . What's the point of it if you can't spend it as much as you want . You see people have a limitation since most of the companies especially the big ones doesn't accept it . Yes you can convert it to your local currency but there will be an extra charge of fees . You can also use third parties i.e. bitcoin debit cards but there will also be an extra charge . The best choice will always be to use it directly . So why would this be a disadvantage for the owners of the said businesses? When even if they only accepts fiat not bitcoin but everyone has fiat so payment methods will not really affect them but their service and product will .

Then it is still not a disadvantage of bitcoin. Would you even complain if you go to another country and pay products there using your local currency instead of theirs and they did not accept your payment? Of course not. Even if you say that money is meant to be spent as much as you want and saying that bitcoin is money. Your local currency is money and their local currency is also money. You must adjust to what type of payment the merchant wants and will not say that "this is also money." Do you get my point here?.

I claimed that that was a disadvantage of the owner of the business because they do not accept bitcoin as payment or do not even know what bitcoin is. If they accepts bitcoin as payment then the bitcoin they received may increase in value over time so this is what I meant about that disadvantage.

Bitcoin and local currency are two different things and you can't use the first one as an observation to conclude the other one. Your local currency might not be accepted in other countries but your own country will be always accepting it. Bitcoin, on the other hand, don't have a nation that will always accept it. No country use bitcoin as a payment method and the only way for you to ever use it directly for payment is to find the right store/shop.

We are talking about the nonacceptance of bitcoin on some businesses/stores and I claimed that this is not a disadvantage of bitcoin at all. Well I agree that bitcoin and local currency are different things, however, they are both accepted in a transaction or as a mode of payment so it is legit to base my thoughts on local currency because they (btc & local currency) have the same principle, they have the same concept. So what if other merchants do not accept bitcoin at all, can you consider this as a disadvantage of bitcoin? Hell no. It is in the matter of choice and if they do not take bitcoin then that's it. Do not blame bitcoin for that. Find another store that accepts bitcoin, as easy as that.
Pages:
Jump to: