Pages:
Author

Topic: What happens when the US makes crypto-currency illegal? - page 6. (Read 8827 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

That's what I said in my reply, but let me reword it for clarity:

The rules don't change except with Constitutional amendment.

Then we agree completely.

I'm not certain. As I mention above I also believe in a constructionist reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_constructionism
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
America, land of the free

Then we agree completely.
legendary
Nonsense. The rules don't change.

Sure they do, that's why we have Constitutional Amendments.

legendary
the one thing all Americans should agree on is Constitutional rules are the ones which ultimately matter.

I agree with that, but would add the caveat that the Constitution is a living document, and the rules within changes and grows with our society.

If they do then what's the use of having rules in the first place?

You abide by the rules, and if you need the rules to change there is a constitutional process for doing that called amending the Constitution. What's so hard to understand about that?

Interpretations change.  Segregation was unconstitutional in the 1870s, it was constitutional in the 1890s and then unconstitutional again in the 1950s.

That's why you use a constructionist reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_constructionism

Sure they do, that's why we have Constitutional Amendments.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
Out if curiosity, what is it with libertarians and rape?  Everything they dislike is akin to rape.  

I've notice that about the term 'violence' as well.

My theory is that a Libertarian is an Anarchist who got picked on in school.  Perhaps they got goosed a lot.

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
the one thing all Americans should agree on is Constitutional rules are the ones which ultimately matter.

I agree with that, but would add the caveat that the Constitution is a living document, and the rules within changes and grows with our society.

You abide by the rules, and if you need the rules to change there is a constitutional process for doing that called amending the Constitution. What's so hard to understand about that?

Interpretations change.  Segregation was unconstitutional in the 1870s, it was constitutional in the 1890s and then unconstitutional again in the 1950s.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

"[There's] the argument of flexibility and it goes something like this: The Constitution is over 200 years old and societies change. It has to change with society, like a living organism, or it will become brittle and break. But you would have to be an idiot to believe that; the Constitution is not a living organism; it is a legal document. It says something and doesn't say other things.... "
Justice Antonin Scalia
legendary
Activity: 1145
I would like to know how they would actually do this.
IMHO an outright ban would be ineffective and just draw more attention to cryptocurrencies.
legendary

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
SEC agent,

Please don't be a pussy. I already publicly pledged you (in another thread) BTC 100 if you can demonstrate evidence supporting the facts you alleged.

Be a man and claim your reward  Grin

legendary
@SEC agent - you do understand your George Washington quote offers a libertarian endorsement don't you? It's saying ordinary people should be involved in defending a free government.

Its more than that, it is your duty as a citizen to not only pay taxes to your government, but also to serve and defend it. 

Why is it anyone's duty, because some bureaucrat wrote is down on a piece of paper a few centuries ago?

I can only speak for myself but my duty is to uphold my own moral values and dignity, regardless of the personalities. I say getting on your knees to do your duties is rape and you are the victim, unless of course you enjoy it.

owenprescott, it appears you're from the U.K. You do realize you're commenting on an American political discussion.
legendary
Activity: 1218
...snip...

Why is it anyone's duty, because some bureaucrat wrote is down on a piece of paper a few centuries ago?

I can only speak for myself but my duty is to uphold my own moral values and dignity, regardless of the personalities. I say getting on your knees to do your duties is rape and you are the victim, unless of course you enjoy it.

'Duty' is a legal term - whatever your own beliefs its your duty to pay taxes and if you evade taxes, you eventually will end up in jail.  

Out of curiosity, what is it with libertarians and rape?  Everything they dislike is akin to rape.  
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
Amen to that! It sounds like you're ready to become a bitcoin user Wink

I have no problem with the bitcoin project in and of itself; and as a proof of concept, it is actually pretty interesting.  

That said, I wont be using bitcoins anytime soon.

Fair enough.

You have a political quote, and hanging around this place it's easy to get the feeling all Bitcoin enthusiasts are anti-government.

It's not that. Bitcoin enthusiasts, which are often libertarian, are not necessarily anti-government/anti-taxes. They just want a government that plays by the rules, and the one thing all Americans should agree on is Constitutional rules are the ones which ultimately matter.

In a state with as high a GINI index as the US or China, the terms 'patriot' and 'chump' are pretty interchangeable.

Likewise for anyone who thinks that the US constitution has a lot of meaning in 2013.  Especially if/when the shit hits the fan.

Activity: 406
@SEC agent - you do understand your George Washington quote offers a libertarian endorsement don't you? It's saying ordinary people should be involved in defending a free government.

Its more than that, it is your duty as a citizen to not only pay taxes to your government, but also to serve and defend it. 

legendary

I have no problem with the bitcoin project in and of itself; and as a proof of concept, it is actually pretty interesting.  

Fair enough.

You have a political quote, and hanging around this place it's easy to get the feeling all Bitcoin enthusiasts are anti-government.

It's not that. Bitcoin enthusiasts, which are often libertarian, are not necessarily anti-government/anti-taxes. They just want a government that plays by the rules, and the one thing all Americans should agree on is Constitutional rules are the ones which ultimately matter.

I'm really not going to put any more effort than that into this discussion with you (because judging from our past discussions, you are just going to go off on some silly tangent about how words have no meaning).    
Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
I'm really not going to put any more effort than that into this discussion with you (because judging from our past discussions, you are just going to go off on some silly tangent about how words have no meaning).

Don't be a pussy and tell me what a citizen is. I am starting to think you are just throwing words without understanding their meaning.

Don't be a pussy - this guy will pay you $25,000 (ongoing contest) if you can provide a single evidence there is at least one citizen on this planet http://marcstevens.net/

For you entertainment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-eImAWCqw
Pages:
Jump to: