Pages:
Author

Topic: What happens with my crypto when I die? - page 5. (Read 2979 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 1
(https://exip.live/)
There is a project that allows you to make a will and dispose of your crypto-currency assets. This is based on smart contracts. Smart contracts control the fulfillment of your will. So at the moment it's not a problem.
your answer a little to make my heart relieved. because this is important. I can not predict crypto in the future, but at least I've made anticipation if I die. thank you
Activity: 378
Merit: 11
Technically it dies too, as no  one is able to access it without your passwords and necessary details. to be on the safe side, write your will today and include where you have the passwords hidden somewhere so that when the inevitable happens your folks know where you have been saving something for them.
Don't die soon Mate!
Activity: 868
Merit: 256
Because you are your own bank then you have to put in a provision that in the event of any of the above ,then you have a way to recover your funds.
Death - if is a significant amount then you can always make a back up with a will and a solicitor will execute your wishes .
Fire - keep a back up some other place than your house
Loss - again you can make backups

Okay , bitcoin is owned by an unknown company, atleast for me because I haven't seen the company of bitcoin and for me even if it is owned by a company that is widely known , the  rules here in this world of virtual currency is that we can secure or not our investment, the only way to secure this type of investment is through paper wallet and I do not see anything that we can do if ever you die,your investment will just be put on waste.
Activity: 686
Merit: 250
An interesting question!
If you do not share the private key with anyone, when you die, altcoin will follow you forever!
You can leave to others by bringing the private into a puzzle for those you love!
Activity: 340
Merit: 13
As this things will happen mate, i think that you bitcoin will be stuck forever because no body knows on how to open your account. Unless that their are somebody know your seed or private key in your family or friends.
Activity: 560
there were so many projects regarding this issue in a blockchain system but as you said the ways are always the same and traditional, personally I would give them to my brother who I do believe and if something happens he could take charge of things.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
It will be just there I think. or may die with you also with the fact that you're the only person that knows your account credentials on your crypto wallet.
Activity: 364
Merit: 10
We can't predict what's gonna happen if crypto will die.But for me I choose to believe that it will not happen because it's a big opportunity to everyone that crypto came into our lives and we can share it our child for the future so I keep having positive thoughts
Activity: 238
Merit: 10
I think that you need to have a person to whom you are ready to entrust information about your wallet. Without a secret code, no one can get your bitcoins when you die or lose your wallet. And this is a serious problem.
Activity: 182
Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.
COMMAND that that you did not exist to. Time to yourself to be need for the problem for this problems.
Activity: 616
good question. the death of no one knows, but that's for sure. but at least you can start teaching someone you are entrusting to take care of a crypto account. may be wife / child. or a believer. in contrast to banks that have complete management governance that has been arranged neatly.
Activity: 532
Merit: 100
If you die and noone knows what are your password or private key. Then your bitcoin will die too. So before you die. Tell yoir wife about your private keys. So that uour bitcoin will be enjoyed by your family.
Activity: 415
Your crypto will stay as is in your wallet since we do not know when is our time end. You have to make a definite plan as where to store your crypto. Make a statement that your love ones will know about your assets indicating the procedures on how they can get their wealth from your cryptos.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 503
BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn
My suggestion would be write everything in a diary or paper, with seeds, account details of exchanges and other important stuff then keep that in Bank locker. It will be inherited to the person you want to after your death. I guess thats the most easy way.
Activity: 177
This is the same as you put your last will to your family before you die to ensure that everything is in good place. Having a crypto  online wallet savings must be visible to the person youve trusted to overcome the risk of dying. You need to risk to trust some for atleast when you die your crypto will not die with you.

Well if you want to continue your crypto just tell the most trusted person on your family. Either teach them what's going on in crypto. By time that you left for good that person will continue your journey with crypto.
Activity: 116
This is the same as you put your last will to your family before you die to ensure that everything is in good place. Having a crypto  online wallet savings must be visible to the person youve trusted to overcome the risk of dying. You need to risk to trust some for atleast when you die your crypto will not die with you.
Activity: 29
When wallets are lost like your hard wallets or your cold storage then your crypto will be floating in the air like nobody cares what it was.  You know we can't foretell our future's of what's gonna happen, if no plan at all with our crypto it will just stay as is in our wallet.Maybe I am selfish, but my coffin won't have pockets to keep bitcoins there, I have no intention to take them to the grave.
Activity: 420
Merit: 101
Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.
PArt of the update was true to its senses making The crypto Inherited by the one you trust, making a last will and testament saying I leave all my earnings to my son and the passcode is given to you attached on this letter. YYou can also say goodbye to all your earnings when you just kept it to yourself never thinking about others and their wealth. So, just be practical and do what you think is right for both parties.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 952
Your coins will be literally considered burned from supply. However, just few days when I was researching for bounties, there was an ico that said to give solution about "you lose private key, you lose all" problem.
Activity: 168
You die then you bitcoin die with you unless some of your family or a friend of yours have access to all your login details for the access of your account..
Pages:
Jump to: