Pages:
Author

Topic: What happens with my crypto when I die? - page 6. (Read 2979 times)

Activity: 125
Merit: 1
this is why we have the heirs of our cryptocurrency assets. So the family is good, we have a successor if we die and of course before we die we must tell our family or our children if they have it
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
i never thought of that to be honest and that's a very good question. I guess in the most cases, the coins get lost forever if the owner dies, but there are for sure some people which think of their relatives and maybe leave a note or something in case something happens with them. I'm still unsure how I can do that, but I'll find a way to inform my family about my crypto portfolio in case something happens with me. Thanks again for the thread!
Activity: 140
At this moment, Bitcoin is anonymous enough that it would be unfeasible for example to entrust your Bitcoins inheritance. Perhaps with the development of cryptocurrencies, it will be possible to connect some of the wallets for crypto, which would allow for the transfer of funds that would be lost. Everything before us remains only for us to wait for the situation to develop.

While we are still living we should educate our family about cryptocurrency so that time comes that we gone in this world our successor will  know what to do with our crypto's. Be sure that private keys are stored in hard wallet and and have a buck-up storage for safety purposes.
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Gric Coin - Redefining Agriculture and Increasing

When you die , everything else will be remain at the world , except you, of course we all know that you are not going to take it with you Cheesy,  so maybe if there is chance, you can leave at your friend or at some family member , so he/she can look after your crypto .....

I definitely agree with your statement. But if the holder did not leave his/her bitcoin to his/her trusted person, then the crypto will remain and could be consider as ghost money.
Activity: 132
Merit: 12
At this moment, Bitcoin is anonymous enough that it would be unfeasible for example to entrust your Bitcoins inheritance. Perhaps with the development of cryptocurrencies, it will be possible to connect some of the wallets for crypto, which would allow for the transfer of funds that would be lost. Everything before us remains only for us to wait for the situation to develop.
Activity: 321
Merit: 10
WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN
don't think about death but be prepared to it because we need to protect our coins from the hackers and anybody who would get it without taking efforts. you need to have some safe place, a wallet for them and let your close person have access
Activity: 378
Merit: 108
Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.
Same question on my mind, if I die today what will happen to my cryptocurrency. But after many think I guess I have the solution to my own aspect, I think will be teaching my young once how to used crypto since I don't have kids yet and secondly I will safe my asset and keep it where they can have access incase anything happens.
Activity: 83
Having something terrible happen to me and my family not knowing how to find my seed words has been one of my biggest worries. My particular problem though is also that my family doesn't really know what bitcoin is, and they don't really care. Any detailed instructions I write, I need to write down on paper, but that could get lost in a fire or some such. If I put instructions on my computer or in the cloud, they could be found by a hacker...but more than likely no one in my family would even bother to look lol.

I think one of the best thing to do is secure it, and have a successor or one of your relatives to have a knowledge about bitcoin and to continue your legacy in the world of crypto, that will be your last will and testament for your family.
Activity: 111
Merit: 1

When you die , everything else will be remain at the world , except you, of course we all know that you are not going to take it with you Cheesy,  so maybe if there is chance, you can leave at your friend or at some family member , so he/she can look after your crypto .....
Activity: 319
When you die without a contingency plan, then you're screwed! Tongue

I've read about a Medium article about a year ago about a solution for this. Is it a good solution though? You decide. I'll edit my post with the link after I find it.

EDIT: Here it is: https://medium.com/@pamelawjd/letter-to-loved-ones-a-template-for-your-crypto-estate-planning-4ee0975434e4
If you died and no one knows what your wallet key then your bitcoin will stuck up on your wallet, which is not a good idea to have, sometimes sharing your keys to one or limited people is a good one so that if there is terrible scenario happen they can easily open it.
Activity: 336
Merit: 10
I myself have been thinking about this idea for a long time. Indeed, if you consider bitcoin, then the coins will be lost, forgotten, transferred to strange wallets ... And the most interesting is that this only makes bitcoin more and more expensive, since it's getting smaller and smaller!
Activity: 266
Merit: 101
Having something terrible happen to me and my family not knowing how to find my seed words has been one of my biggest worries. My particular problem though is also that my family doesn't really know what bitcoin is, and they don't really care. Any detailed instructions I write, I need to write down on paper, but that could get lost in a fire or some such. If I put instructions on my computer or in the cloud, they could be found by a hacker...but more than likely no one in my family would even bother to look lol.
Activity: 2408
Merit: 516
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
It depend on every individual and should be properly planned to ensure a safe transition. Its a big asset that can turn to a great fortune for one's descendant. I believe the private keys can be stored and kept on flash drives or paper in a safe place in the house that fire and water cant reach. I also feel in the seeable future its hard copy will be kept in the bank
Activity: 98
Silly question right? Smiley
Unless there is a backup method or heritage system it obviously vanishes for eternity, but the point was to discover methods that you are aware for avoiding such risks.

Well, it's not a risk, it's a certainty, but there are other risks of losing access to the crypto account aswell.
Some like:
* death... obviously
* house burns down along with hard wallet
* one can accidently loose his cold storage or hard wallet
* maybe other you figure out and I add them

So, what storage do you use to ensure your savings, or what do you think would be the best solution to overcome these risks?

UPDATE: I started this discusion because I can't see a decentralized solution for that, most of the centralized ones are largely known (wills at layers, online wallets and so on) but do not meet the security criteria as still imply a trusted party. Better simply handover the private key directly to the inheritant IMO.

What I want to determine is if it IS realy a concern for the comunity or not, and if yes than we can contribute all together to the creation of a such product. But again I realy do think it should be built decentralized and trustless.

These are invariably inevitable events which all crypto investors must prep for.
I personally have put in place some contingency plans to secure my funds and make it available to my family after I'm dead. However, I have no plans yet for the other hypothetical situations.

Hence I might lose my funds entirely should any of the above should happen.
Activity: 338
When you die of course the crypto you have will disappear but still in the blockchain network and can not be accessed by others and disappear from market circulation. Therefore you should prepare a kind of letter containing all the crypto information and prepare a hard wallet backup to be inherited to a person desired by you.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 254

If you died and no one did not know what is your private key then probably your bitcoin will stuck on your wallet and it will not go somewhere. If you tell someone about your private key then they can open and use it.
Because of that, something does need to be inherited. At least to your trusted friends who understand the crypto. Although later he will use it for himself or give it to your family, at least it will be useful.
Activity: 252
We all are mortal and oneday we might die, it’s true. We all know we can’t live for a long time so that we give birth, we keep someone, I mean your child. That can be anyone chosen by you. We can make a way to give them our cryptos. Like time-capsule.
Activity: 36
Interesting post Wink
Your post is boring too Smiley
Activity: 546
Merit: 12
I haven't any plans regarding that as such. But you have a good point though! We really need to assess that aspect and get backups for our funds and assets when we're not around. I suggest maybe if you have some children you start teaching then about these things and get them acquainted with crypto, but shouldn't give then access to funds yet. Maybe when they grow up and you think it's the right time, you can keep your passwords and important files at a trusted lawyer and then he may hand it over to your next of kin when necessary.
Activity: 251