Pages:
Author

Topic: What if the internet permanently shuts down - page 5. (Read 669 times)

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1018
October 15, 2023, 10:54:18 AM
I'd love to be enlightened better on why it can be impossible that the internet can never be permanently shutdown, having in mind the shortcomings that I've mentioned?
Cable Internet providers can be easily stopped and we witnessed it with the Russia invasion to Ukraine.

Satellite Internet supply is harder to stop but it's true companies provide Satellite Internet is centralized and they can be manipulated by governments or the company owners.

Without Internet, your Bitcoin is still on its blockchain. It's only you can not move your bitcoins at that moment but you can do it when the Internet is revived again and nodes, miners still are ready to back to work.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 466
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
October 15, 2023, 10:46:19 AM
Some few days back when the forum went down for some hours, some thoughts that I used to have suddenly resurfaced in my mind. What if the internet crashes permanently!  If for any reasons whether natural or manmade the internet suddenly stops working,, what will happen in the world. Unimaginable pandemonium is what will happen, because almost everything is connected to the internet, in fact the world today is so dependant on the internet to transact and communicate almost everything. Be it in finance, telecom, marketing and in every areas of technological advancements, all depends on the internet. It'll seem as if we've suddenly gone back to the stone age, if these where to happen.
It seems to be impossible for shutting down of internet from all over the world at once, but it is possible for it to shut down in a country. Like it shut down 2 time in this year. And we was not able to make any transaction either they are from banking apps or from BTC or cryptocurrency apps. We were totally off-grid and only relying on the money that we had in our banks.

The internet coverage was down for like 4 days, and everything was total disaster, the life slowed down, as a student I face a lot of problems, in the creation of my assignments, etc. I realize at that time, internet has become a catalyze of our life which increase the rate of it.

We all are really so dependent on the internet either for financial purposes or others.

I'll focus on finance, so I'm thinking what will happen to the bitcoin inside wallets, what will happen to every fiat currency in bank accounts, if everything erases as a result of internet total breakdown? Who do we hold responsible? I know that the internet technology is manmade, therefore it can not be hundred percent immune to faults and external attacks. And what if there is that less than one chance of it being faulty or compromised, what if that less than one  chance happens,? what will be the fate of the world that mainly depends on it to get things done? I'm no tech guru or a prophet of doom, but this are my thoughts and fears on the matter, although I sincerely hope that I'm very wrong on these thoughts.
Your concerns are legit, but you have to understand that BTC blockchain is totally decentralized, and those who are validators/nodes downloaded the full blockchain in there computers and synchronize there downloaded blockchain with the overall BTC network. And when one TX is made then it is inserted into the network and then updated on all the nodes and then validated and processed by the miner or validators. Then added to the blockchain. Well, if internet goes down, the synchronization will stop, and no one would be able to make any transaction. As we know each TX need specific confirmation and without them TX cannot be confirmed. I hope now you understand it.
Activity: 882
Merit: 215
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
October 15, 2023, 10:42:45 AM
I'll focus on finance, so I'm thinking what will happen to the bitcoin inside wallets, what will happen to every fiat currency in bank accounts, if everything erases as a result of internet total breakdown? Who do we hold responsible? I know that the internet technology is manmade, therefore it can not be hundred percent immune to faults and external attacks. And what if there is that less than one chance of it being faulty or compromised, what if that less than one  chance happens,? what will be the fate of the world that mainly depends on it to get things done? I'm no tech guru or a prophet of doom, but this are my thoughts and fears on the matter, although I sincerely hope that I'm very wrong on these thoughts.

I'd love to be enlightened better on why it can be impossible that the internet can never be permanently shutdown, having in mind the shortcomings that I've mentioned?

What is certain is that OP, if that happens at any time, be prepared for the worst (if the internet collapses) maybe my reasons and yours are not much different because we both know that being able to access and use crypto assets such as BTC and others will be very difficult or not even possible.

and in my opinion, either the government or financial institutions need to prepare an emergency mitigation plan to maintain financial stability before it happens and simulate it first because it is included in the extraordinary event category and the winner is the one who has the gold.

Under normal conditions it is impossible for the internet to stop because the need for internet has almost become a primary need. You don't need to worry, if a problem occurs that causes the internet to shut down globally, many people will try to turn it back on.

But let's imagine the worst thing that happens, the internet shuts down completely due to natural factors that are getting worse. Humans will continue to struggle to survive because with or without the internet everything will be fine, even though it may be difficult at first

Correct and of course gradual. But, that will happen one day and it's not a bedtime story, that is, it feels like going back to ancient times where the financial transaction system used a barter system, whether in our time or our grandchildren will experience that. Earth's cycle.
Activity: 308
Merit: 340
Jolly? I think I've heard that name before. hmm
October 15, 2023, 10:34:09 AM

Under normal conditions it is impossible for the internet to stop because the need for internet has almost become a primary need. You don't need to worry, if a problem occurs that causes the internet to shut down globally, many people will try to turn it back on.

But let's imagine the worst thing that happens, the internet shuts down completely due to natural factors that are getting worse. Humans will continue to struggle to survive because with or without the internet everything will be fine, even though it may be difficult at first
Activity: 322
Merit: 274
Baba God Noni
October 15, 2023, 10:22:20 AM
It is impossible for all the internet in the world to shut down at the same time, since there are different network providers. So don't think about what is impossible because internet has become like a basic need in the world because we are more into technology than before and the internet is compulsory to enable us make use of this technology
Activity: 583
Merit: 271
October 15, 2023, 10:20:47 AM
When you turn off your computer does your data vanishes? No, it doesn't. It just stops at that current state. And when you turn back on again, you are where you left the last time. Nothing will erase. You won't be able to access it but just for temporary period of time. The magnitude of catastrophy you are asking is nearly unimaginable. Almost close to impossible. Just like @NeuroticFish said, it would be possible, only if we were attacked by an Alien force or any being with higher intelligence than us.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
October 15, 2023, 10:08:22 AM
I'll focus on finance, so I'm thinking what will happen to the bitcoin inside wallets, what will happen to every fiat currency in bank accounts, if everything erases as a result of internet total breakdown?

The bitcoins are not in the wallets, the wallets only hold the keys. The bitcoins "are" on the blockchain and copies of it are in a lot of computers all over the world.
The amounts of fiat in the bank accounts are written into databases which for most banks I expect to be backed up securely too.

In both cases people relying on the technology will have to wait patiently until the internet is restored, the things continue from where they left (especially bitcoin) and they get access to their money again.

The fact you compare one forum with a decentralized network like Bitcoin tells that pretty much want this pointless discussion that was started many times before.
An attack like you're saying would come from an intelligent race from outer space. And if so, each and everybody will have more urgent issues than their money.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
October 15, 2023, 10:06:45 AM
Straight answer; Don’t think it, we have grown pass that, it can all go off when only some better comes, as off now there isn’t any. So relax and worry about other things
Activity: 364
Merit: 220
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
October 15, 2023, 09:57:40 AM
Some few days back when the forum went down for some hours, some thoughts that I used to have suddenly resurfaced in my mind. What if the internet crashes permanently!  If for any reasons whether natural or manmade the internet suddenly stops working,, what will happen in the world. Unimaginable pandemonium is what will happen, because almost everything is connected to the internet, in fact the world today is so dependant on the internet to transact and communicate almost everything. Be it in finance, telecom, marketing and in every areas of technological advancements, all depends on the internet. It'll seem as if we've suddenly gone back to the stone age, if these where to happen.

Pages:
Jump to: