Pages:
Author

Topic: What will happen to blacklisted coins? - page 3. (Read 3598 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 20, 2015, 02:29:19 PM
There is no blacklist, there are no blacklisted coins.

OP seems to have mixed up with how XT lowers the priority of a IP connection if spam transactions are found to come from it. That is not blacklisting coins.

Most XTbashers have no clue of what they're saying anyway. It goes to show what kind of crowd that side is attracting.

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
August 20, 2015, 02:17:51 PM
There is no blacklist, there are no blacklisted coins.

OP seems to have mixed up with how XT lowers the priority of a IP connection if spam transactions are found to come from it. That is not blacklisting coins.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
August 20, 2015, 12:57:07 PM
Developers are only pushing government vision and it is inevitable for the bitcoin industry. I keep seeing some people who believe bitcoin simply must change to bring it in line with other payment systems.
Unfortunately this means adding identity information to bitcoin transactions and making it possible to blacklist funds. It will happen sooner or later, bitcoin is too dangerous in its current state.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
August 20, 2015, 12:32:45 PM
Yep, so I'm not the only one who sees that as a poor move. So instead of saying we should not centralize a decentralized currency, I should be coding a solution to some DoS attacks.

Well, you should be coding a decentralized solution for DoS attacks. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
August 20, 2015, 11:57:11 AM
Blacklisting IPs (or giving them lower priority as is in the new XT code) can be used just the same as how the great Firewall of China works. And could easily be used to give lower priority to certain countries by IP range. Sure you can jump behind a VPN, travel to another country etc. but why allow it in the first place.

I was ok with the XT block size upgrade. It made sense. But seeing that 90% of the code differences have to do with this blacklist code and not the block size (and the fact that Mike Hearn has advocated for blacklists) tells me that this is likely not about block size after all.

I really don't like the idea of having a central web server used in what is supposed to be a decentralized system.

Here's Mike's comment on that:

You seem to think I hate Tor. I am actually the maintainer of a full blown Tor implementation (Orchid). I've done a lot of work on integrating it into bitcoinj and I'm basically the only guy who can actually move the needle on Tor/Bitcoin usage, by enabling the use of it by default in consumer wallets that have hundreds of thousands of installs. We're not there yet (it's still too slow) but we're a lot closer than before.

This doesn't change the fact that Tor is heavily abused. It can be useful but it's a frequent source of attacks of all kinds. So finding ways to get the good without the bad involves some tricky coding.

Below, you say "anyone can jam the network with just two IP addresses". Yes, that's unfortunate isn't it. I've been sounding the alarm about Bitcoin Core's poor DoS protection for years. Nobody listened, that's why I have now written a new anti-DoS system that can handle this sort of thing. It starts by clustering and deprioritising Tor because we've seen actual jamming attacks that came through Tor, and because using it is a lot safer and more convenient for an attacker than using your own IP addresses or using a botnet. But it absolutely should be extended to have more advanced heuristics. Instead of whinging that (gasp) loading a file from a web server is "insane", maybe you should be writing code instead.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10048768

Yep, so I'm not the only one who sees that as a poor move. So instead of saying we should not centralize a decentralized currency, I should be coding a solution to some DoS attacks.
legendary
August 20, 2015, 11:42:32 AM
Blacklisting IPs (or giving them lower priority as is in the new XT code) can be used just the same as how the great Firewall of China works. And could easily be used to give lower priority to certain countries by IP range. Sure you can jump behind a VPN, travel to another country etc. but why allow it in the first place.

I was ok with the XT block size upgrade. It made sense. But seeing that 90% of the code differences have to do with this blacklist code and not the block size (and the fact that Mike Hearn has advocated for blacklists) tells me that this is likely not about block size after all.

I really don't like the idea of having a central web server used in what is supposed to be a decentralized system.

Here's Mike's comment on that:

You seem to think I hate Tor. I am actually the maintainer of a full blown Tor implementation (Orchid). I've done a lot of work on integrating it into bitcoinj and I'm basically the only guy who can actually move the needle on Tor/Bitcoin usage, by enabling the use of it by default in consumer wallets that have hundreds of thousands of installs. We're not there yet (it's still too slow) but we're a lot closer than before.

This doesn't change the fact that Tor is heavily abused. It can be useful but it's a frequent source of attacks of all kinds. So finding ways to get the good without the bad involves some tricky coding.

Below, you say "anyone can jam the network with just two IP addresses". Yes, that's unfortunate isn't it. I've been sounding the alarm about Bitcoin Core's poor DoS protection for years. Nobody listened, that's why I have now written a new anti-DoS system that can handle this sort of thing. It starts by clustering and deprioritising Tor because we've seen actual jamming attacks that came through Tor, and because using it is a lot safer and more convenient for an attacker than using your own IP addresses or using a botnet. But it absolutely should be extended to have more advanced heuristics. Instead of whinging that (gasp) loading a file from a web server is "insane", maybe you should be writing code instead.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10048768
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 20, 2015, 11:38:38 AM

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 20, 2015, 11:11:09 AM
I don't understand the term "blacklisted coin".  How can be blacklisted a coin produced in the legal way? While about the bitcoin xt I have heard the opposite. The bitcoin XT is not centralized but liberalized. I'm not an expert so my word can be taken with caution but from what I have heard from a person that seems very informed is that what was happen.  
It really comes down to what one plans to do with the blacklisting (I'm talking about coins, not IPs here) feature. Essentially if we have a theft of coins, they could be blacklisted to prevent them being used anywhere. However, the system could be considered corrupt at that point, because the money is not solely controlled by us (which is one of the main/fundamental points of Bitcoin).
White-listing or blacklisting would probably mean the end of Bitcoin (as we know it today).

Note: Keep in mind that blacklisting is not implemented (yet), even though Hearn was advocating it.
legendary
August 20, 2015, 09:54:35 AM
The question was "how could this be achieved?".

The answer is. Add a centralized URL to the code. Act like it's being used to prevent DDOS.

Not effective!

IP address is not a Person.

A transaction I make can be relayed by blockchain.info while I'm accessing it through TOR at a café...
Activity: 714
August 20, 2015, 09:54:17 AM
Even if someone was really trying to create a blacklisting mechanism to be used in bitcoin, I don't think it would be possible due to the nature of the system, in a centralized system like Ripple it can be made, not in bitcoin.

Can you elucidate us on how this could be achieved?

Someone could add a URL to a website in the Bitcoin client to check for IPs that should be treated differently.

Like...oh say....torproject.org
I really expect better from you Elwar.
I think, you know, that even if there would be a blacklist of IPs, that has nothing to do, with blocking coins. You just can't block transactions by blocking IPs. That doesn't make any sense at all.

People are mixing up so many things on here already.

I did not say blocking. I said treating them differently.

A central server used to treat some IPs differently than others.

Does not sound very decentralized.
So, how does that answer pedrog's question?
Or are you writing statements, that don't have a connection to the topic, on purpose?

The answer is. Add a centralized URL to the code. Act like it's being used to prevent DDOS.
c'mon Elwar, seriously?
I think, you know, that you are writing nonsense here.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 20, 2015, 09:48:55 AM
Even if someone was really trying to create a blacklisting mechanism to be used in bitcoin, I don't think it would be possible due to the nature of the system, in a centralized system like Ripple it can be made, not in bitcoin.

Someone could add a URL to a website in the Bitcoin client to check for IPs that should be treated differently.

I think, you know, that even if there would be a blacklist of IPs, that has nothing to do, with blocking coins. You just can't block transactions by blocking IPs. That doesn't make any sense at all.

Or are you writing statements, that don't have a connection to the topic, on purpose?

August 20, 2015, 09:44:20 AM

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 20, 2015, 09:39:24 AM

legendary
August 20, 2015, 09:38:27 AM

That doesn't guarantee the identity of the sender, it creates more problems than what's trying to solve, IP /= person.

Yes it's pretty obvious. The Feds have lots and lots of information on all the seized darknet markets, so all they would need is a software that automatically traces the inputs and outputs and searches for coins that were used for drugs and whatnot. This will surely kill fungibility and therefore Bitcoin.

That software already exists, it's called a block explorer, you can check freely, it doesn't change anything, if the coin I'm sending to you has 0.1% from the bitcoinica hack what will happen? It's not my fault I received a few imputs that had 0.02% of hacked coins, so what will be the benefit of blacklisting coins, plus who will blacklist the coins and why should we accept it?

Also the Feds do not own bitcoin, there are a lot of countries in the world and the vast majority of us don't live in USA.
August 20, 2015, 09:35:41 AM

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
August 20, 2015, 09:27:15 AM

Activity: 576
Merit: 503
August 20, 2015, 09:26:34 AM
Stop spreading FUD please.

We can see every address that coins go to, or come from. Even passing thru a tumbler taints the outputs to some extent.
I send 'tainted' coins from address A to address X (which happens to be a mixer, but besides the mixer admin and myself, nobody can know this).

I receive different, untainted coins (completely unrelated to the ones I earlier sent to X) from a different address Y to address B.

There exists NO chain of transaction between X and Y. Also not indirect, or coinjoined, or whatever. Nothing.

How are my coins in address B still blacklisted?

I did say 'taints ... to some extent'.
The anonymity set size of a single transaction is limited by the number of parties in it, obviously.
Unless chaumian blinding, zero knowledge proofs, or something dazzling has occurred, my statement is correct.

Dude, 'taints' by whom?
by whomever wants to. We already have companies selling this service.
That's not a feature of the protocol,
never said it was. it's a blockchain analysis. but you already knew that.
you can 'taint' how many coins you want, I don't care about your 'taint',
'course  you would suddenly care if that taint measurement caused your coins to be blacklisted
and after a few transactions you'll be unable to know who has the coins...
first correct statement you've made.
That's why I said 'to some extent'. The amount a satoshi is tainted drops off rapidly after passing thru tumblers, exchanges, etc
That's why after so many thefts no one was able to come up with a system to blacklist coins, it requires centralization and absolute control over the system.
I'd say it is because people don't actually want it because it kills fungibility. But don't think it's not out there already. one guess which 3 letter agency is leading the charge. Oh, maybe 3 guesses. Lol.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
August 20, 2015, 09:23:26 AM

Isn't it obvious?
We can see every address that coins go to, or come from. Even passing thru a tumbler taints the outputs to some extent.

It is not obvious, can you explain how it would work?

Yes it's pretty obvious. The Feds have lots and lots of information on all the seized darknet markets, so all they would need is a software that automatically traces the inputs and outputs and searches for coins that were used for drugs and whatnot. This will surely kill fungibility and therefore Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
August 20, 2015, 09:10:03 AM
blacklist ?
not in the Bitcoin Network ...
As above, there is no blacklist in bitcoin network.
You probably read something about other project separate from bitcoin completly "colored coins", "lighting network" and other trash inventions Smiley
legendary
August 20, 2015, 08:59:15 AM
Stop spreading FUD please.

I send 'tainted' coins from address A to address X (which happens to be a mixer, but besides the mixer admin and myself, nobody can know this).

I receive different, untainted coins (completely unrelated to the ones I earlier sent to X) from a different address Y to address B.

There exists NO chain of transaction between X and Y. Also not indirect, or coinjoined, or whatever. Nothing.

How are my coins in address B still blacklisted?

I did say 'taints ... to some extent'.
The anonymity set size of a single transaction is limited by the number of parties in it, obviously.
Unless chaumian blinding, zero knowledge proofs, or something dazzling has occurred, my statement is correct.

Dude, 'taints' by whom?

That's not a feature of the protocol, you can 'taint' how many coins you want, I don't care about your 'taint', and after a few transactions you'll be unable to know who has the coins...

That's why after so many thefts no one was able to come up with a system to blacklist coins, it requires centralization and absolute control over the system.
Pages:
Jump to: