Pages:
Author

Topic: What's so special about the NAP? - page 14. (Read 20458 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
July 05, 2012, 03:10:10 PM
The exact same logic applies to racial discrimination.  Here is a libertarian take on it: http://reason.com/archives/2010/06/16/racism-civil-rights-and-libert

In my experience, changing the law to forbid religious discrimination did change things in Ireland and it was for the better.  

In all these cases, there are a hard core of people who disagree and who break the law.  But there is a solid majority who aspire to obey that law and it changes their behaviour.  Take away the law and behaviour will revert to the bad way things were.

Did you even read that article?

Businesses that refused to discriminate were targeted for officially sanctioned or condoned harassment and intimidation.

It wasn't just "legal", it was officially sanctioned. It was enshrined in law. And I'm not talking about 1964. I'm talking about today. In today's society, do you believe that racial segregation would again achieve dominance without official sanction?

There is more to the world than the state of Alabama.  I grew up in a segregated society in Ireland where there was no legal basis for it.  The same (I think) applies to Barry Goldwater in Arizona.

Read the entire article.  It reinforces the point that laws do change people's behaviour.  Law sets a standard of behaviour that the majority of people aspire to.

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 05, 2012, 03:06:23 PM
Please defend NAP

There are two arguments:

1. Violating the NAP has bad consequences.

2. Violating the NAP is immoral.

Since I'm not a consequentialist, I don't find the consequentialist argument convincing one way or the other.

As for the argument from morality, all moral claims are opinions. They are preferences, nothing more. You can't say my opinion is wrong any more than I can say yours is wrong. That's because opinions aren't the kinds of things that can be right or wrong. That being said, I reject any opinion that violating the NAP is moral, outside of immediate life threatening situations when your actions don't threaten the life of another person and you also compensate the victim. If you are literally about to starve to death, steal some bread but be prepared to work it off. I doubt you'll have to steal though because I'll be glad to give you some of my bread. However, if you are dying because of liver failure, don't take my liver.

If you reject my opinion like I reject the opinions of those that wish to violate the NAP, we have irreconcilable differences. We can either try to coexist peacefully or we can go to war. There's nothing more to it than that.

I'm sure that the very wise men of the past who spent most of their adult lives asking these questions and wrestling with morality and law and governance spent a little more time at than the throw-your-hands-up-in-the-air-and-claim-that-morality-is simply-differences-in-opinion method.  Thank all that is good that they spent more time on these questions, or else the systems of governance and popular notions of morality wouldn't exist and neither would we.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 05, 2012, 03:04:19 PM
The exact same logic applies to racial discrimination.  Here is a libertarian take on it: http://reason.com/archives/2010/06/16/racism-civil-rights-and-libert

In my experience, changing the law to forbid religious discrimination did change things in Ireland and it was for the better.  

In all these cases, there are a hard core of people who disagree and who break the law.  But there is a solid majority who aspire to obey that law and it changes their behaviour.  Take away the law and behaviour will revert to the bad way things were.

Did you even read that article?

Businesses that refused to discriminate were targeted for officially sanctioned or condoned harassment and intimidation.

It wasn't just "legal", it was officially sanctioned. It was enshrined in law. And I'm not talking about 1964. I'm talking about today. In today's society, do you believe that racial segregation would again achieve dominance without official sanction?
legendary
July 05, 2012, 02:43:01 PM
Enslaving someone qualifies as "aggression".  I'm not sure how you have convinced yourselves that "non-aggression" == "slavery".

+1. I have no idea how they get from "every interaction should be voluntary on both sides" to "Bang her on the head, chuck her in the back of your car and you have a slave, a pretty girl who will be on her back 7 days a week earning money for you."

You snipped the elaboration :O

No, elaboration does not come before the statement. Give me more details on how you feel the NAP sets a low standard. I feel it sets the bar pretty high.

Laws do change people's behaviour.  Law sets a standard of behaviour that the majority of people aspire to.  That's why 35% of people wore seat belts before it was a legal requirement and 94% wear them afterwards.

And that's my problem with the NAP.  It sets the standard as low as it can be.  For example, it says you don't have to wear seat belts.  Thats over half the population that will revert to being seatbeltless with all the extra unnecessary deaths and injuries that will entail.

You can argue that you don't care and people only hurt themselves and their children but that does not make for a desirable state of affairs.

July 05, 2012, 02:41:17 PM
Enslaving someone qualifies as "aggression".  I'm not sure how you have convinced yourselves that "non-aggression" == "slavery".

If you can take a person as a slave and she has no legal way to sue for her freedom, you have legalised slavery.  Its not enough to say that under the NAP is abhorrent if its allowed.

Anything abhorrent under NAP is by definition not allowed.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
July 05, 2012, 02:39:33 PM

I'm talking about "true libertarianism" in which even the NAP is rescinded. You are truly free to do whatever you want. Rescinding laws until you're left with only the NAP is arbitrary. Give me a good logical argument why libertarians insist on maintaining a NAP, and yet insist on rescinding lots of other laws.  Or, alternatively, why libertarians insist on creating the NAP, yet refuse to create other laws.

You seem to be confusing laws with a principle
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
July 05, 2012, 02:37:03 PM
+1. I have no idea how they get from "every interaction should be voluntary on both sides" to "Bang her on the head, chuck her in the back of your car and you have a slave, a pretty girl who will be on her back 7 days a week earning money for you."

You can get anywhere from NAP, because it's meaningless. NAP can and will evolve in some direction, but it won't stay NAP for long.

Totally meaningless.
July 05, 2012, 02:34:14 PM

No, elaboration does not come before the statement. Give me more details on how you feel the NAP sets a low standard. I feel it sets the bar pretty high.
July 05, 2012, 02:31:41 PM

The NAP is absolutely meaningless. Consider an extreme example of a population of two: Ben and Hector.

Hector enslaves Ben. Ben claims he's been violated and claims he is justified in fighting back. So what?
legendary
July 05, 2012, 02:30:14 PM

And that's my problem with the NAP.  It sets the standard as low as it can be.

Ah. this is progress. Could you elaborate?

legendary
July 05, 2012, 02:29:02 PM

If you can take a person as a slave and she has no legal way to sue for her freedom, you have legalised slavery.  Its not enough to say that under the NAP is abhorrent if its allowed.
legendary
Activity: 1330
July 05, 2012, 02:21:48 PM
July 05, 2012, 01:56:30 PM
And that's my problem with the NAP.  It sets the standard as low as it can be.

Ah. this is progress. Could you elaborate?
legendary
July 05, 2012, 01:53:50 PM
Slavery may be abhorrent under the NAP but its not illegal is it? In your ideal world, the only protection from slavery is a defence agency.  If a someone is too poor or too stupid to have a defence agency, that's it.  Bang her on the head, chuck her in the back of your car and you have a slave, a pretty girl who will be on her back 7 days a week earning money for you.  Its a big business now; legalise it and it gets even bigger.  

So under your my version of the NAP, you have racial discrimination, lynching, segregation and slavery.  

Fixed that for you.

Laws don't stop lawbreakers from doing bad things.  You seem to ignore the fact that one of your "evils" ("lynching") would prevent the other, slavery. Your poor young lady would have, if nothing else, the protection of her community.

Laws do change people's behaviour.  Law sets a standard of behaviour that the majority of people aspire to.  That's why 35% of people wore seat belts before it was a legal requirement and 94% wear them afterwards.

And that's my problem with the NAP.  It sets the standard as low as it can be.
July 05, 2012, 01:44:57 PM
Slavery may be abhorrent under the NAP but its not illegal is it? In your ideal world, the only protection from slavery is a defence agency.  If a someone is too poor or too stupid to have a defence agency, that's it.  Bang her on the head, chuck her in the back of your car and you have a slave, a pretty girl who will be on her back 7 days a week earning money for you.  Its a big business now; legalise it and it gets even bigger.  

So under your my version of the NAP, you have racial discrimination, lynching, segregation and slavery.  

Fixed that for you.

Laws don't stop lawbreakers from doing bad things.  You seem to ignore the fact that one of your "evils" ("lynching") would prevent the other, slavery. Your poor young lady would have, if nothing else, the protection of her community.
legendary
July 05, 2012, 01:35:17 PM
Society would also have slavery without laws preventing it.  Do you regard that law as oppressive too?

No it wouldn't. Slavery is economically unfeasible. You're feeding, housing, and clothing people 12 months of the year, and as much as half of that time they are doing nothing. You have to have an entire industry devoted to keeping them from getting away. Compare that to a tractor, and suddenly a slave doesn't look so attractive anymore. The north's industrial capacity was turning slavery into an unprofitable business already.

To say nothing of the fact that slavery is abhorrent under the NAP, anyway.

So under your version of the NAP, you have racial discrimination, lynching, segregation and slavery.  

July 05, 2012, 01:14:19 PM
Society would also have slavery without laws preventing it.  Do you regard that law as oppressive too?

No it wouldn't. Slavery is economically unfeasible. You're feeding, housing, and clothing people 12 months of the year, and as much as half of that time they are doing nothing.

Oh, and an annual salary doesn't feed, house and clothe people 12 months of the year?
July 05, 2012, 01:12:23 PM

No it wouldn't. Slavery is economically unfeasible. You're feeding, housing, and clothing people 12 months of the year, and as much as half of that time they are doing nothing. You have to have an entire industry devoted to keeping them from getting away. Compare that to a tractor, and suddenly a slave doesn't look so attractive anymore. The north's industrial capacity was turning slavery into an unprofitable business already.

To say nothing of the fact that slavery is abhorrent under the NAP, anyway.
legendary
July 05, 2012, 01:00:25 PM
If the consequence is a return to a segregated society, does that change where you stand? 

If society would self-segregate, in the absence of laws preventing it, then that indicates that those laws are oppressive, does it not?

This illustrates my point: Laws are nothing more than opinions, violently enforced.

July 05, 2012, 12:52:15 PM
Consider the following story with two characters: Mike and Hawk.

Hawk owns an island in the south Pacific. It is his own private domain. He's the ultimate NAPster, free from any government. He recently met Mike, an aspiring NAPster. He invites Mike to come visit his island.

The two fellows sit on Hawk's veranda, sipping drinks and admiring the expanse of Hawk's beautiful island. A conversation ensues.

Hawk: "Why don't you stay here? I'll sell you a ten acre parcel on the south side of the island."

Mike: "Oh, I'd love that. I can live the NAP dream here."

Hawk: "Yes. There are some terms you must agree with though, as this is my island. Remember, I'm a NAPster true and true, and since this is my island, I make the rules."

Mike: "Uh, what are those?"

Hawk: "Well, when you buy that parcel of land from me, I'll grant you ownership rights, but they won't be like the ownership rights I have."

Mike: "Uhhh..."

Hawk: "When you buy the parcel, you'll have the right to sell it to someone else down the road. However, you'll have to pay me an annual fee while you own it based on my assessment of the land's value. Furthermore, any business you conduct on your property will be subject to various taxes and such."

Mike: "Hey, that doesn't sound right."

Hawk: "Oh, but it is. This is NAPism true and true. I own the island. I make the rules. However, I'll give you some freedoms above and beyond NAP. I'll invite others in to buy up parcels with the same rules. But, if you and they so choose, you and they can vote to change those rules I made, even though this is my fucking island."
Pages:
Jump to: