Author

Topic: What's stopping people from using bitcoin? - page 149. (Read 202140 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509
December 02, 2015, 07:13:39 PM
Security is also a big issue. You cannot expect the normal person on the street to be able to keep their coins safe. Its too hard for them.

why not? because they don't know how to create a secure offline cold storage? it's not hard at all. it's just a matter of saving your wallet file to a thumb drive. it also doesn't require you a lot effort to create a paper wallet. if you meant something else, please explain.

It is a mentality problem. People has been used to put their money in the bank and "forget" about it, "the banks will keep my money safe". That's why there is not a culture of self-responsibility with your own wealth pretty much anywhere in the world. Bitcoin is a radically new concept. Never before we could be our own banks, so it will take some time until people start learning to keep their stuff safe by themselves.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
December 02, 2015, 07:09:45 PM
People can do what they want, we can't force them into using bitcoin.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
December 02, 2015, 06:39:09 PM
An issue i have at the moment is that i want to buy an antminer off someone on eBay. He says he will accept Bitcoin. If i send him the bitcoin then what security have i that he will send me the antminer to me. There is no protection yet which is a pretty big problem.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
December 02, 2015, 06:38:43 PM
some shop will honor the payment when they see the transaction on the blockchain (within seconds) but for larger purchases retailer needs 3+ confirmation which sometimes ends up being an hour.

if you need the order confirmation so it will be shipped out, sometime it might be too late and need to wait another day to be shipped.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
December 02, 2015, 06:29:20 PM
confirmation time. 

I do not think that confirmation time is a problem at all because it takes only few minutes to get the first confirm if you pay the proper fees
I think the reason is bitcoin's bad reputation as in news it is mentioned is some bad stuff so companies are afraid of using it
December 02, 2015, 06:17:07 PM
confirmation time. 

As it gets more popular though expect this to drop.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
December 02, 2015, 06:14:00 PM
confirmation time. 
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
December 02, 2015, 06:10:07 PM
Critical mass needs to be achieved. Unfortunately the community isn't expanding at the same rate as it was in 2013. It may even be shrinking.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 521
December 02, 2015, 06:07:02 PM
Most people who i know and talk to about BTC havnt heard of it, i'm doing my best to change that....
Activity: 423
Merit: 250
December 02, 2015, 06:04:14 PM
Security is also a big issue. You cannot expect the normal person on the street to be able to keep their coins safe. Its too hard for them.

why not? because they don't know how to create a secure offline cold storage? it's not hard at all. it's just a matter of saving your wallet file to a thumb drive. it also doesn't require you a lot effort to create a paper wallet. if you meant something else, please explain.

Yes its easy for us on here because by the fact that we are on here we all pretty technical, but i could not imagine trying to explain it to my mother or father and expect them to understand.

Try trezor for your parents then, it is hardware wallet and if you check the address on your trezor dispay where it really wants to send the Bitcoins, then it is very safe. Very expensive now, 99 USD, but with more competetion and bigger market it could cost much less in future... So Bitcoin can be very safe for nontechnical people with these hardware wallets, not harder to use than cell phone which your parrents probably have...
Activity: 2
December 02, 2015, 05:51:39 PM
I guess people just dont see it as an actual currency also it goes up and down in price all the time if you have $1 then you have $1 but if you have 1btc then you may have $320 or $160 another time.
December 02, 2015, 05:16:40 PM

Yes its easy for us on here because by the fact that we are on here we all pretty technical, but i could not imagine trying to explain it to my mother or father and expect them to understand.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
December 02, 2015, 05:05:56 PM

December 02, 2015, 04:51:49 PM
Activity: 10
December 02, 2015, 04:44:13 PM
From watching exchanges, I think a big financial fear is just the how volatile the value of bitcoin can be. I mean a $200 drop the other week from $500 is a big deal >< I could imagine the amount of people who were greedy to keep holding and cash out when it got higher be disappointed.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083
December 02, 2015, 04:04:53 PM
Today I was mentioning to my friends about Bitcoin! What he concern is that Bitcoin is digital, and how could it has value. And the price as well! If you buy now at $400, tomorrow it becomes $300 and no one will buy your coins!

It started so high that is why people know bitcoin as a falling currency. But that idea that bitcoin is digital money is so wrong. Paypal is also digital money you put your dollar on a online bank. How come bitcoin is not thought just like that.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
December 02, 2015, 12:44:01 PM
Very interesting questions Smiley
I can mention a few most important.
People are afraid to use Internet for finance.
They are afraid to join something they don't understand fully.
People are in general skeptic about anything new, revolutionary, specially if comes from Internet.
Bitcoin still didn't become mainstream.
Because value of bitcoin changing all the rimes people see it as gambling, not serious investment.
and many more...

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083
December 02, 2015, 12:23:10 PM
The basic knowledge on how bitcoin operates.

Very right my man. Without knowledge they wont start. But if you trh to explain it they wont listen. They dont want anything that will get them to work again. Specially to those who have work. They better stay like that than have more.
legendary
Activity: 1106
December 01, 2015, 07:11:07 AM
I think that bitcoin's volatility (perceived and real) is somewhat of an obstacle.

If the price wasn't fluctuating so widely, possibly more people would be willing to hold it.
There's a trade-off here, though: many people holding bitcoin today, do it precisely because it is so volatile and they expect to make money from this.

This is the biggest thing people stopping use bitcoin, and mostly that people come from who gamble to buy bitcoin  to earn profit from it without do an analyze before.

And bitcoin is still can be commodity and at once it can be use as currency. but I think it will be volatile for ever if you can see a supply and the demand.
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR
December 01, 2015, 06:53:07 AM
High fees to purchase, not tech minded, high priced, high risk, government propaganda, the ego's within the bitcoin community, extreme volitality, high fees with interexchange, deflationary, too late to profit with regards to the early adopters.... the list can go on and on Smiley
Jump to: