Pages:
Author

Topic: Which of these bitcoin units do you NOT want to use? - page 3. (Read 7229 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
So the underlying question is "what unit should we switch to now", correct? 
I'm a Bit hater for a few reasons...

[...]

If we drop "Coin" for less syllables, "centibit" or "millibit" are much better candidates.
"I just bought 100 millibits for 40 bucks!" ... "I just bought 100,000 bits for 40 bucks!" is a little excessive.

"hundred milli bits"

Five syllables.

"hundred thousand bits"

Five syllables.

"ten million sats"

Four syllables. Wink

Even better yet: I bought 10 mil sats - 3 syllables

Like it's been said, people don't like fractions, and are impressed with large numbers, this incorporates both.
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
The more we talk on this topic, the more confusion there is. As long as the unit is understood by both parties, so what issue there is?
Activity: 406
AltoCenter.com
I really hate satoshi, it makes absolutely no sense at all. btc is okay but what's with satoshi !!!
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Voted. I prefer BTC and Satoshi.

I can't vote, but I agree BTC and Satoshi. Keep it simple.

I would not want to use these 3 equally:  µBTC / uBTC, bit, mBTC (was there even an option for people to vote all of those at the same time?)

Yes, voting against multiple units is possible.
I also agree just keep satoshi and BTC we need not more units these both enough for all
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
Voted. I prefer BTC and Satoshi.

I can't vote, but I agree BTC and Satoshi. Keep it simple.

I would not want to use these 3 equally:  µBTC / uBTC, bit, mBTC (was there even an option for people to vote all of those at the same time?)

Yes, voting against multiple units is possible.
Maybe US is a place where people have not heard about SI prefixes for fractions. However where I come from the 'm' is in very common usage among ordinary people for small length measurements as in millimetres and small weight measurements as milligrams for example when buying medicine. I happen to look at a package of 600mg ibuprofen pills on my table.

This issue is not about SI or not SI. It's about using fractions or multiples.
People just don't want to own small fractions of something, they subconsciously hate it.

It's very frustrating to deal with "one millionth of something", it's much more comforting to use "thousands of something". Therefore "ksat" is much better than "µBTC".

The most unfortunate thing for 'µ' is that it cannot be easily be written with an ordinary keyboard and 'µ' is one that is not that well known.

That's another reason to prefer "ksat" over "µBTC". Kiss

[...]

If we drop "Coin" for less syllables, "centibit" or "millibit" are much better candidates.
"I just bought 100 millibits for 40 bucks!" ... "I just bought 100,000 bits for 40 bucks!" is a little excessive.

"hundred milli bits"

Five syllables.

"hundred thousand bits"

Five syllables.

"ten million sats"

Four syllables. Wink
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

The meaning of "k" is already understood by common people:

http://btc1k.com

The SI prefix "µ" (micro) in contrast, is a very nerdy, technical expression. It implies being something very small (as in "microscope"), and thus is subconsciously disliked by many people.

As a matter of fact, the human brain prefers to use multiples (like "k"), rather than fractions (like "µ").

I never used µBTC for precisely that reason, thus "keep using" is wrong wording anyway.

Occam's razor: "What is easier: Teaching the meaning of "µ" to common people, or using "k" instead, which is already understood by them?"

Maybe US is a place where people have not heard about SI prefixes for fractions. However where I come from the 'm' is in very common usage among ordinary people for small length measurements as in millimetres and small weight measurements as milligrams for example when buying medicine. I happen to look at a package of 600mg ibuprofen pills on my table.

The most unfortunate thing for 'µ' is that it cannot be easily be written with an ordinary keyboard and 'µ' is one that is not that well known.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
'bit' is the most retarded choice as a name ever for anything.

It already has an established and extremely popular use with strong name recognition FOR SOMETHING ELSE. There is no chance it will ever work as a trademark or brand signifying anything else than whatever it already means in peoples heads.

We need some name that improves our brand recognition whenever we say the name and not diminishes our brand which is going to happen if we ever choose not to say the word bitcoin in any sentence where there is even half a chance to say the word bitcoin.
The system is in need of a unit between the BTC and satoshi.

1000 sat = 1k sat = 1 ksat

Problem solved. Tongue

There is absolutely no need for 100-satoshi-sized units. 1000-satoshi-sized units (i.e. "ksat") are much more intuitive anyway.

Huh
If you are willing to use a 1 kSat you may keep using 10 uBTC. Have you heard about Occam's Razor lately?
 Wink

The meaning of "k" is already understood by common people:

http://btc1k.com

The SI prefix "µ" (micro) in contrast, is a very nerdy, technical expression. It implies being something very small (as in "microscope"), and thus is subconsciously disliked by many people.

As a matter of fact, the human brain prefers to use multiples (like "k"), rather than fractions (like "µ").

I never used µBTC for precisely that reason, thus "keep using" is wrong wording anyway.

Occam's razor: "What is easier: Teaching the meaning of "µ" to common people, or using "k" instead, which is already understood by them?"
Activity: 31
Merit: 0

1 - "Bits" would almost certainly be confused with "Bitcoins", because, why wouldn't they be?

2 - The name "Bit" + "Coin" was not chosen arbitrarily. Removing the "Coin" and terming them "Bits" seems to refer only to Binary Digits (and adds another layer of confusion... we should say 1 Bytecoin = .125 Bitcoins and really mess with 'em, huh?)

3 - At the current exchange rate, it seems an unnecessary leap to begin using the micro- metric (~ a fraction of a penny).

Just my 2 centibits
Activity: 322
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

Problem solved. Tongue

There is absolutely no need for 100-satoshi-sized units. 1000-satoshi-sized units (i.e. "ksat") are much more intuitive anyway.

Huh
If you are willing to use a 1 kSat you may keep using 10 uBTC. Have you heard about Occam's Razor lately?
 Wink

Problem solved. Tongue

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
i'm ok with using all of those but for smaller amounts i preffer using satoshies instead of uBTC. it is easier for me but for bigger amounts i prefer BTC like 0.002 BTC
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
uBTC is way worse than others for me
mBTC sounds good, bits is ok, satoshi also ok
Activity: 700
Voted for the first option
Suprisingly a very high level of support against it
Although not sure if Mbtc and Ubtc were different measurements lol.
Activity: 322
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!
Me too. I want to use BTC, mBTC, uBTC, period. I may also use satoshi due to honorific reasons. Fuck the bits!
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
I don't ever want to use bits, I don't know why the use of it is being pushed so hard. I use btc, satoshi and mbtc, I don't see any reason to use any other units apart from these.
Activity: 658
Usage of “bits = 100 satoshis” still gives me headaches.

And it follows that 800 satoshis = 1 byte

How many satoshis is 1 kilobyte? 800000? Or 819200?
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
Usage of “bits = 100 satoshis” still gives me headaches.

And it follows that 800 satoshis = 1 byte
Activity: 215
Merit: 105
Poorer than I ought to be
Bitcoin and mbtc is only what i use. Learned mbtc while counting the chips in online poker games lol they all talk in mbtc there.

Most of the relevant (non-dice) gambling sites refer to chips/units as mbtc/btm (0.001btc).  I will always consider 0.001btc as 1btm because of Dragon's Tale and Seals With Clubs.  Btc, btm, and sat/ksat/satoshi are all we need
Pages:
Jump to: